Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-12-2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstompe View Post

Caught this lunker in Putah creek on friday. First turtle I've ever caught
I have a grip load of those in my pond and they are a pain in the crack! Recently I have spotted some real small ones and I figured they are now breeding, rapidly! I would love to take the 10-22 and get to making holy turtles but the neighbors would flip out on me. I also have a couple hundred goldfish that someone pitched in there and they are making a mess of the place. Those I just gut and toss back in the water for the catfish or toss in the bushes for the coons.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Man Cave must have!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=752047
Old 06-12-2013, 7:11 PM

I got these thrown into my pond:

And they mess with the ecosystem of these:

And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Man Cave must have!
Old 06-12-2013, 7:20 PM

Then I get home one day and head right to the pond to find this:

I called CAL TIP and they sent a DFG officer out to the house. He and I figured that someone had poisoned them with gopher bait or something. I watched them all have seizures then flop over and drown in a matter of 30 minuets. I managed to save one of them but it wasn't gonna survive so the DFG guy said to dispatch it, I did. It was strange because the ducks were unaffected, just the geese.

Man Cave must have!
Old 06-12-2013, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Not a very good picture, but my 5 year old caught his first fish, a 14" rainbow. It was nicely filleted and made for some good dinner.

We went for catfish yesterday with no luck, but he is jazzed to go again.

I had my head turned as I was watching the other pole that was still in the water when he reeled this one in.
Old 06-12-2013, 8:22 PM

My son, at I think 9

My dog, one of our dogs, about the same age..

Sent from my iPhone

Jt
Old 06-16-2013, 4:15 PM

Caught some rainbows between myself and brother up north last weekend. It was fun fishing with him since he's just getting into outdoor sports.

Rockin:
- AR15 w/ High standards lower & 16in Smith & Wesson upper
- Remington Model 770 in .270 Caliber
- Remington 572 pump action .22
Old 06-18-2013, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Limited out yesterday with this 30lb King.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Old 06-23-2013, 9:30 AM

Nearly 15lb catfish I caught yesterday on 6lb test! This one was the biggest of 4 that caught and by far the biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught!

Rockin:
- AR15 w/ High standards lower & 16in Smith & Wesson upper
- Remington Model 770 in .270 Caliber
- Remington 572 pump action .22
Old 07-10-2013, 2:26 PM
A-list Member
CGN Contributor

I picked this guy off at 150 yards with my .30-06. I was aiming for the lungs when he turned suddenly and my shot went in towards his rear end. 180gr of Hornady BTSP dropped him. 9mm to the head finished him off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig_down.jpg (98.9 KB, 1283 views)

Last edited by elx144; 07-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: rear not read
Old 07-11-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacorp View Post
+1 Argentinian Mastiff AKA Dogo Argentino , My TORO is 14 month old 110 LB likes to walk ,sleep,play with cows,bulls and kill some hogs
PS almost forgot, love to swim , he is a DOGFISH

That pup is a beaut!! Looks similar to my american bulldog
Old 07-12-2013, 6:25 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx144 View Post
I picked this guy off at 150 yards with my .30-06. I was aiming for the lungs when he turned suddenly and my shot went in towards his rear end. 180gr of Hornady BTSP dropped him. 9mm to the head finished him off.

No offense but you may have the smallest pig of the year award coming.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 07-12-2013, 8:26 AM

I hear the small pigs are the best tasting...

Looking for:

Henry or Mossberg lever-action 30-30
28" Mossberg 500 barrel
FAB Defense GL-Shock Buttstock
Meprolight M21 bullseye
AR15 FIVE (5) round magazine
Old 07-12-2013, 8:56 AM
A-list Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
No offense but you may have the smallest pig of the year award coming.
At least I win something. Yeah, I'm a new hunter and if I could do it over I would start with a guided hunt. It took a lot more money and time to find game on my own. Once I found the animals I didn't know how close I could get without spooking them. Once I took the shot the herd charged off up a steep hill. Since I didn't hit the heart or lungs I had to rush up to the wounded animal and dispatch him. Then I had to haul dead weight a mile up hill to where my truck was parked where I could gut it. It wasn't over, there was still a two hour drive home and when I got there I had to skin and butcher the carcass. Finally after all that work some of the meat was tainted since I shot him in the rear.

I'm hooked on hunting though. Being in the field facing down a group of wild boar was like nothing else I've ever done. Guided hunts are sounding pretty awesome now, especially in Africa where the game is a lot larger.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT72 View Post
I hear the small pigs are the best tasting...
They are. The last little one I killed cooked up0 so tender the meat melted in my mouth.

The BIG question is where the hell did you find green grass like that in July around here?

FWIW - get a $20 gambrel and a game sack (or old bed sheets). Gut it on the spot, drag it to your truck, and then hoist it on the nearest tree to skin and sack it for the trip home. You can wait till you get home to butcher it, but the guts and skin need to be removed as soon as possible.

By the way - your rifle looks like a copy of mine... even the caliber is the same:

BTW - did someone say "small pigs"? Take a look at these two little guys:

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-12-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
A-list Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
The BIG question is where the hell did you find green grass like that in July around here?
I took the picture in my backyard once I got home. Didn't want to put pictures on the Internet that might show where I was since it's public land. Every Internet scouter in the state would be going there and exploiting my nine months of burning boot rubber. I got some good pictures and video for IRL people that show the herd.

The rifle is a Marlin X7. I spent $500 for it out the door then another $200 for the Buckmaster scope. It's a beginner rifle in a well known calibre. I got it specifically for hunting knowing that I could get a better rifle once I had more experience. I used hand loaded ammo too. Hornady 3072's with 53gr of Reloader 17 and magnum LRP.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
At least I win something. Yeah, I'm a new hunter and if I could do it over I would start with a guided hunt. It took a lot more money and time to find game on my own. Once I found the animals I didn't know how close I could get without spooking them. Once I took the shot the herd charged off up a steep hill. Since I didn't hit the heart or lungs I had to rush up to the wounded animal and dispatch him. Then I had to haul dead weight a mile up hill to where my truck was parked where I could gut it. It wasn't over, there was still a two hour drive home and when I got there I had to skin and butcher the carcass. Finally after all that work some of the meat was tainted since I shot him in the rear.

I'm hooked on hunting though. Being in the field facing down a group of wild boar was like nothing else I've ever done. Guided hunts are sounding pretty awesome now, especially in Africa where the game is a lot larger.
Good job. Now since you've found where they can be you can go back and get a bigger one. Now get a pack frame and go in with that on your back so you don't have to drag it out. Just bone it out or quarter it.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 07-12-2013, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I took the picture in my backyard once I got home. Didn't want to put pictures on the Internet that might show where I was since it's public land. Every Internet scouter in the state would be going there and exploiting my nine months of burning boot rubber. I got some good pictures and video for IRL people that show the herd.

The rifle is a Marlin X7. I spent $500 for it out the door then another $200 for the Buckmaster scope. It's a beginner rifle in a well known calibre. I got it specifically for hunting knowing that I could get a better rifle once I had more experience. I used hand loaded ammo too. Hornady 3072's with 53gr of Reloader 17 and magnum LRP.
I kind of figured it was your lawn.

God idea to play it close to the vest....... I think I may know where you went. If so, I've killed a pig in there too, and it took me 2 hours to drag it up to the truck. I sweat so much during the drag that my shirt looked like I fell in a lake. Definitely worth getting a frame pack and boning it out on the spot as lewddog21 suggests. My pig was "only" about 120 lbs or so, and I was damn glad at the end that I hadn't killed a bigger one!

I spend a lot of time hunting FHL, and we appear to be somewhat neighbors. If you are inclined to jump through the FHL hoops, I'm always looking for someone to split gas. I've been doing pretty well there of late, but haven't been back since Memorial Day.

Our rifles look very similar, but they are different. Mine is an old sporterized K98 Mauser that I fitted with a new 30-06 barrel and bedded into a CoreLite synthetic stock. I put a Leupold Var-x III 3-9x40 on it years ago, and swear by it.

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band

Last edited by bigbossman; 08-01-2013 at 5:11 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 1:52 AM

Hex fly hatch on Lake Almanor in norcal. 6 wt fast action fly rod setup for trout on the last few days of the big hatch. it all turned into a 5 minute figh with my rod tip almost snapping off. that is a smallmouth bass

official measurements were 3lbs 4oz and 19 inches long.

Old 07-15-2013, 1:12 PM
not TRUMP is my choice!!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
Hex fly hatch on Lake Almanor in norcal. 6 wt fast action fly rod setup for trout on the last few days of the big hatch. it all turned into a 5 minute figh with my rod tip almost snapping off. that is a smallmouth bass

Im confused, so Kwalkerm1 is Matt Damon?
Old 07-16-2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Im confused, so Kwalkerm1 is Matt Damon?
haha I don't have blue eyes though heres more comparison pics lol

Old 07-18-2013, 3:55 PM

The one that got away (dont worry I was in TX feeders are legal )
Old 07-21-2013, 1:55 PM

http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 07-21-2013, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I've always said that I felt the most vulnerable while squatting on the throne .
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 07-22-2013, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Trapped!
Old 07-22-2013, 6:52 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Sounds like some of my first hunting trips lol. Just remember you and Bigbossman are in the very small percentage of California pig hunters who will ever take a public land pig. Its quite an accomplishment for any hunter. You guys have both done well.

Quote:

Old 07-22-2013, 6:59 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

My first animals I killed myself on getting out whole. I wanted to come home with an animal to show everyone not bags of meat. lol Now im the opposite get it chopped up as quick as possible so its crown and coke time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Good job. Now since you've found where they can be you can go back and get a bigger one. Now get a pack frame and go in with that on your back so you don't have to drag it out. Just bone it out or quarter it.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM

^^ So true!!!
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 07-28-2013, 4:18 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Yay I can contribute...

My first cat at a new lake-caught on chicken liver and blood dough balls. Better than nothing

Last edited by vliberatore; 07-29-2013 at 5:01 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 4:19 PM

.30-06, 200 yard shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7300296.jpg (98.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Sounds like some of my first hunting trips lol. Just remember you and Bigbossman are in the very small percentage of California pig hunters who will ever take a public land pig. Its quite an accomplishment for any hunter. You guys have both done well.
Thanks for the compliment. I could regale you with tales of all the years I went out and saw nothing, but that would make for boring reading.

The first pig I ever took on public (DFG land) was on a quail opening day about 12 years ago. We stumbled across her resting under a tree, and it was literally me or the pig - didn't see her until she came charging out right at me, and I killed her inside of 10 yards with a snap shot right between the eyes. Scared the crap out of me, and we spent the next 2 hours dragging that little 120lb sow out to the truck. What a day that was - 6 quail, 2 rabbits, and one little pig.

Fast forward to last November or so, and I seem to falling all over them. I am under no illusion that the success is anything put dumb luck, but as long as I get to make the shot and take home pork I'm happy to ride the streak.

I'm suddenly starting to make a lot of new friends, too.

The Band
Old 08-04-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I could regale you with tales of all the years I went out and saw nothing, but that would make for boring reading.

The first pig I ever took on public (DFG land) was on a quail opening day about 12 years ago. We stumbled across her resting under a tree, and it was literally me or the pig - didn't see her until she came charging out right at me, and I killed her inside of 10 yards with a snap shot right between the eyes. Scared the crap out of me, and we spent the next 2 hours dragging that little 120lb sow out to the truck. What a day that was - 6 quail, 2 rabbits, and one little pig.

Fast forward to last November or so, and I seem to falling all over them. I am under no illusion that the success is anything put dumb luck, but as long as I get to make the shot and take home pork I'm happy to ride the streak.

I'm suddenly starting to make a lot of new friends, too.
curious what you were using for quail that took down a pig?
Old 08-04-2013, 1:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post

It's nice to see a fine young lady like yourself showing us guys how it's done. That's quite the bass you caught. If I got to see my daughter all grown up, I'd imagine she'd be just like you. Keep up the good fishing!

Herbert
Old 08-04-2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
curious what you were using for quail that took down a pig?
#6 at close range if i remember the story correctly.
Old 08-04-2013, 8:15 PM

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 PM

my first keeper striped bass...on a FLY!

"sir...does this mean ann margaret's not coming?"
Old 08-06-2013, 6:02 PM

Old 08-06-2013, 8:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe'Bronco View Post
#6 at close range if i remember the story correctly.
You shoot quail with No. 6 shot?
Old 08-06-2013, 8:38 PM

Fished out of Hamilton City with Valley Guide Service. Lots of hard work by guide and fisherman but we caught a great limit. I've got enough Salmon to last awhile.
Old 08-10-2013, 6:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-TMnBub7iY
Old 08-16-2013, 3:15 PM

Default Pig I shot with Bigboarstopper.

Got this sow a couple months ago. Weather was too hot for dogs so did a little spot and stalk. Lucked out and caught a couple small herds coming to water. The wind and terrain were perfect for a super close stalk. Crept over the top of a small dam to within 20 yards.

Encore carbine .25-06 shooting a 100 grain ttsx.