Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-18-2013, 3:24 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Starting to fish again after 20 years

So I finally have time to go fishing. Have been out of the loop for about 20 years. Use to do a bit in Florida.

So I am looking at new everything, rods, reels, line, etc. Am looking at fishing off charter boats out of Emeryville & some delta stuff off the piers, etc. Nothing super expensive to start, just a good rod & reel for both fresh & salt water, do I need separate ones?

Is there a thread here about equipment selection, etc? I was at Big 5 today & have no clue on what to look for, to be honest. Would appreciate any help. Love to learn/see you guys' setups.

Yes, will pick up my license & all that:-)
Old 07-18-2013, 3:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I use separate rods and reels for freshwater but one or two I have can do both. but I prefer ocean fishing instead of lakes and streams.

it will also depend on your area also what you may need. I live in SoCal. what may work for me may not work for your area.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 3:42 PM
Part time Emperor

Thanks Chris. Would love to hear about your set up. How big a line should I look for for salmon, rockcod, halibut, etc? And hooks, too.
Old 07-18-2013, 3:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
Thanks Chris. Would love to hear about your set up. How big a line should I look for for salmon, rockcod, halibut, etc? And hooks, too.
and for Rockcod and Halibut I use a different setup for those.

Rockfish can be very deep so your line should be Dacron as it doesn't stretch like mono does and it lasts forever. the heavy weight is why I say to use Dacron line.

Halibut is not a fish I target specificly I have caught some on 15 lb test and brought them in. they love sandy areas and can be around some structure. some people have caught them on 30lb test and a 4 to 8 oz weight depending on the depth and current.

I like circle hooks as they set themselves for you. there are many brands that make them. so its your choice.

hook size is something different so I keep a variety of them from 1/0 to 7/0 hooks in my tackle box.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

First of all don't buy a thing to figure out your target species. This should be easy to do based on location and access to a boat. Don't try to mix salt/fresh gear. At the end of the day it sucks for both. Go cheap on the freshwater stuff to start. Big 5 is fine. For salt if your serious you have some research to do. For fishing off a party boat RENT!(almost all boats have rentals properly set up) and look around and see how deep you want to get into it. Personally, I fish expensive gear. Buy once and cry once. Once you decide what you to spend check back in. I can go through every piece of top dollar gear you could need. Somewhat familiar with the cheaper stuff. The question you asked could fill a book. Come back with specifics.
Old 07-19-2013, 7:05 AM
Part time Emperor

Thanks Mike, I know my questions are really vague & could fill a book:-)

Good idea on checking out the boats & renting their gear. I'll do that.

How do you know if what rod or reel is for freshwater or saltwater? Lots of complete sets at Big 5.

When you say expensive gear, what do you mean? $300 for reel? Rod $150?

Finally, is there an recommended website that I can read up & gather more info?
Old 07-19-2013, 7:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You could try bloodydecks.com that may help in pointing you in the right way.
Old 07-19-2013, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

If you intend to get serious about fishing, Big 5 doesn't carry good stuff, especially in the "complete sets". Even places like Sports Authority have better rods and reels at decent prices. The only thing though is, you will need to know your stuff -- likely, nobody there will know what they are selling.

I'm not a pro, but I do know the rods are printed with the recommended line weight and action type. The line weight will give you an idea of its duty (heavy duty, medium, light, etc.). The action will give you an idea of its sensitivity.

For salmon fishing, for example, you want something that is light action and recommends between 10 and 20 lb line, because you want to be able to differentiate the fish taking the hook versus the constant pounding of the river current.
Old 07-19-2013, 1:30 PM
Part time Emperor

True about the big sporting goods store & the staff's knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
If you intend to get serious about fishing, Big 5 doesn't carry good stuff, especially in the "complete sets". Even places like Sports Authority have better rods and reels at decent prices. The only thing though is, you will need to know your stuff -- likely, nobody there will know what they are selling.

I'm not a pro, but I do know the rods are printed with the recommended line weight and action type. The line weight will give you an idea of its duty (heavy duty, medium, light, etc.). The action will give you an idea of its sensitivity.

For salmon fishing, for example, you want something that is light action and recommends between 10 and 20 lb line, because you want to be able to differentiate the fish taking the hook versus the constant pounding of the river current.
Old 07-20-2013, 5:11 AM

x2 on Bloodydecks awesome site and great people
Old 07-20-2013, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Bloodydecks is too rude too lie. Have fun! For saltwater I'm spending about about 150$ -250$ for a reel and 150-250 for a rod. Once you spend this much it generally will last you years. Good rods and reel are worth being rebuilt. I get my reels serviced for 25-50$ every two years (I treat my gear like crap and never do maintenance ) or so and rods last me five years usually without any upkeep. Do this simple upkeep and the gear last ten years plus(I used to fish 200 days a year). Fresh water is not really my cup of tea. For saltwater look at seeker and (the best) calstar rods, Shimano( only the higher end models), all the avet reels or higher end penn reels. Don't go cheap with saltwater gear. Might be a few exceptions but ask around on bloodydecks and you will get the brutal honest truth. The gear I buy though is top of the line for bottom end price. Not really sure if that's what you need. Rentals on the party boats are always a good option. Plus when they break you just grab a new one. Also mono needs full replacement yearly and when you rent it's usually a saving depending how much you fish.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-20-2013 at 9:41 PM..
Old 07-21-2013, 7:31 AM

Avet reals are great at for the price of them....I only fish purple Avet reels
Old 07-21-2013, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...U01_AA160_.jpg

This, from Amazon . . .
Old 07-21-2013, 8:16 AM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
Thanks

You're very welcome; I picked up a copy recently because my grandkids want me to teach them. It's excellent . . .
Old 07-21-2013, 9:03 AM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Bloodydecks is too rude too lie. Have fun! For saltwater I'm spending about about 150$ -250$ for a reel and 150-250 for a rod. Once you spend this much it generally will last you years. Good rods and reel are worth being rebuilt. I get my reels serviced for 25-50$ every two years (I treat my gear like crap and never do maintenance ) or so and rods last me five years usually without any upkeep. Do this simple upkeep and the gear last ten years plus(I used to fish 200 days a year). Fresh water is not really my cup of tea. For saltwater look at seeker and (the best) calstar rods, Shimano( only the higher end models), all the avet reels or higher end penn reels. Don't go cheap with saltwater gear. Might be a few exceptions but ask around on bloodydecks and you will get the brutal honest truth. The gear I buy though is top of the line for bottom end price. Not really sure if that's what you need. Rentals on the party boats are always a good option. Plus when they break you just grab a new one. Also mono needs full replacement yearly and when you rent it's usually a saving depending how much you fish.
Thanks Mike. Now I got something to lookout for. All my old gear has been combos from Abu Garcia & Shimano, still working well when I checked yesterday, much to my amazement. I don't think I spent more than $70 for each at WalMart long ago.

But will do more read up & research for what I need or not.
Old 07-21-2013, 2:00 PM

If your close to the central valley have wad of cash I will open up my garage I have stuff from stream fish to ocean and all in between specially if looking for stuff to fish the delta with. Plenty of used equipment all taken care of other then a little garage dust, shimano and penn reels gl loomis salmon river rods,bass rods of all makes and prices,tigersticks for ocean fishing or delta,trout rods /reels striper rods/reels.

Can surely set you up with good stuff at a decent price.I have just gotten out of fishing and into a couple other things that take up my time now.
Old 07-21-2013, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Not to be a killjoy but when buying used fishing gear pay pennies to the dollar. Even well cared for gear does not last well. Only the VERY high end reels are worth buying used and they still need rebuilding. Same with rods. Even the slightest corrosion on the eyes of the rod and it will fray and ruin your line. Replacement of the eyes is usually not worth it unless you spent bank on the rod to begin with. This advice would be for saltwater. Not really sure about freshwater stuff.
Old 07-21-2013, 3:34 PM

Here is another Web site to check out.
FNN or Fishing Network.Net

Set up like most other sites. I am in the SoCal Saltwater Surf section most of the time with the same Avatar name.
PM me if you have any questions

WWO
l---L -=OlllllllO_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Old 07-21-2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Not to be a killjoy but when buying used fishing gear pay pennies to the dollar. Even well cared for gear does not last well. Only the VERY high end reels are worth buying used and they still need rebuilding. Same with rods. Even the slightest corrosion on the eyes of the rod and it will fray and ruin your line. Replacement of the eyes is usually not worth it unless you spent bank on the rod to begin with. This advice would be for saltwater. Not really sure about freshwater stuff.
Your right pennies on the dollar I am willing to set someone up with QUALITY stuff cheap.All my reels are torn apart yearly and drag washers replaced along with throurogh cleaning I only bought quality stuff and took dam good care of it.

And for someone with a title of deckhand you know a lot less then you think you do.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
X2-Agreed with not buying used gear, people can say well taken care of but your really don't know if reels have been serviced or not....I received 2 jigmaster off some guy and the drags were S**T.....so I sugest buy new if possible....you know what your getting when buying new
Old 07-22-2013, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishseeker View Post
Your right pennies on the dollar I am willing to set someone up with QUALITY stuff cheap.All my reels are torn apart yearly and drag washers replaced along with throurogh cleaning I only bought quality stuff and took dam good care of it.

And for someone with a title of deckhand you know a lot less then you think you do.
Oh please, tell me more about your quality tigerstick ocean rods and how little I know. Really, you lost me when you started talking about used walmart crap rods for ocean gear. If you would like to enlighten me some more feel free to pm so we don't clutter the thread.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-22-2013 at 4:16 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Abu garcia is one of the actual random cheapies that kind of work. They have such loose tolerances they function well. I would often keep one on the party boat and they would freeze up and I would smash the crap back out and they would work again. Plus stuff had a habit of getting stolen by customers so they were a great deal. But for the price of 2 of those reals you can get a small to medium avet reel and do most ca ocean fishing. I use the sx model for everything up to 50lb tuna. Just fill with 40lb spectra and change the topshot to match the prey. I prefer small lightweight reels. Years of fishing and the carpal tunnel sucks.
Old 07-22-2013, 4:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
But for the price of 2 of those reals you can get a small to medium avet reel and do most ca ocean fishing. I use the sx model for everything up to 50lb tuna. Just fill with 40lb spectra and change the topshot to match the prey. I prefer small lightweight reels. Years of fishing and the carpal tunnel sucks.
I like the Shimano Torium 30 real. I have used it for years bought it on a whim to see how it would work. I have to say it's works as advertised not too expensive and quality IMO. caught many fish and plenty on my recent trip to Bay of LA sea of cortez.

and my old fashioned 6/0 Penn worked great also.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-22-2013, 7:52 PM
Part time Emperor

Was at a local supply shop. I'm humbled at how little I know about fishing gear. The rods they carry were definitely on the high end ($150 & up to &400+)

How do you guys set up your hooks & weights for salmon & strippers? And what do you use for bait?
Old 07-22-2013, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

For both species the question would be river, lake, delta, ocean? Then boat or shore fishing. Then pier or surf fishing. Then private boat or party boat etc. Chances are if the rod shop you were at stocks gear in that price range they have a good chance at helping you set up a decent rig. Gear that expensive does not sell itself. The more details you can give the more we can help.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-22-2013 at 9:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 9:27 AM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
For both species the question would be river, lake, delta, ocean? Then boat or shore fishing. Then pier or surf fishing. Then private boat or party boat etc. Chances are if the rod shop you were at stocks gear in that price range they have a good chance at helping you set up a decent rig. Gear that expensive does not sell itself. The more details you can give the more we can help.
I'm thinking pier in Crockett (Carquinez Straits) or Point Pinole in Pinole (San Pablo Bay)

The shop is Discount Mart's Bay Tackle in El Cerrito. Very nice guys & I saw a few guys buying $40 Shakespeare rod & reel combo & the guys set up the hook, weight, etc for them.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Visit your LTS, local tackle shop. Talk to them. Drop a few bucks on appropriate hooks, line, and lures for their time. Go to Big 5 for your rod and reel. Hard to go wrong with low end shimano spinning reels and Shakespeare ugly stick rods.
Old 07-23-2013, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
Visit your LTS, local tackle shop. Talk to them. Drop a few bucks on appropriate hooks, line, and lures for their time. Go to Big 5 for your rod and reel. Hard to go wrong with low end shimano spinning reels and Shakespeare ugly stick rods.
Totally agree. Pier fishing gear is an area it's more cost effective to buy shimano spinner and ugly stick and replace when they fail than actually investing in a top end spinning rod and reel (about a grand). Baits and weights are going to be a super local thing. Good source of info is anywhere they sell live bait. For salmon you will be on a party boat? I would rent and ask lots of questions. Different areas troll vs mooch. Look into this. It will determine what kind of gear you need.

When you hook a striper that spools all of your line and heads off into the sunset don't be bummed. You lost a bat ray, not the striper of a lifetime. Leopard sharks are not suggested eating (high mercury) not too tasty and yes they have teeth. Get a sturgeon reporting card just in case, its free with a fishing license if you ask. There is a slot size limit.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-23-2013 at 3:36 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 6:21 PM

Sturgeon report card no longer free.
Old 07-23-2013, 9:38 PM
Part time Emperor

Got it. If the bat ray takes off, let it go I'll hit the boat in a couple of weeks but gonna go fish off the pier this week.

What kind of bait? Squid? gummy looking rubber worms, live worms? Cheese?