Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-21-2013, 6:42 PM

Default Calling Central Coast Spearfishers

Anyone on the Central Coast (Northern Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo Counties) want to go spearfishing?

I've done lots of spearfishing at the Channel Islands and Catalina and a little off the CA coast. I'm looking for anyone that knows any good spots and wants to go.

I mostly target Calico Bass and Halibut.
Old 07-21-2013, 7:11 PM
Banned

Soon as an injury heals I'll be calling ya
Z
Old 07-21-2013, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Got any hunting spots? I got spearfishing covered. Familiar with everything in that area you described plus a lot more. Mainly I do wsb, lobster, paddy hopping, abalone. Have done lots of halibut and rockfish. Do a little tank diving but it bores me at times almost always freedive. Hit me up. Be a week or two before I'm ready to rock. Just getting over pneumonia.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-21-2013 at 9:07 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 1:56 PM

Let me know when you guys are ready to go.
Do you guys go off the beach or boat? In Belize I rented a kayak to get out to the reef, then dropped in and bagged some fish for lunch. That was fun.
Old 07-22-2013, 2:35 PM
Zombie Killer
CGN Contributor

Just went spearfishing for the first time in Maui with a guide. Very fun and exciting, but found it difficult to stay under for very long at all (we were free diving). I'm sure it will be completely different here in CA with water temp and visibility. I'm scuba certified so I could go that route, but I am having a hard time finding any info on the DFG site. Are there any spots in the SF area? Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2013, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

SF sucks in general. Monterey is epic for diving and north of the golden gate is legal for abalone (freedive only). Where you using weights in Maui? It's often harder to free dive without a weightbelt even when not wearing a wetsuit.

CAL3GUNNER I shore dive most of the time. I have a kayak but I find it more of a hassle than help. I hop on friends boats often to do Island trips but have not bought a boat yet.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-22-2013 at 3:17 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Zombie Killer
CGN Contributor

Monterey looks to be the closest choice for spearfishing. I actually had my scuba certification dives in Monterey and all I remember was how cold the water was.

In Maui, we wore shorty wetsuits and weight belts. I just don't free dive all that much so I think with some practice I could get decent at it. I found a club in Monterey http://www.montereybaytritons.com/.