Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Good Day

I had the day off work and went out cotton hunting, then retrieved my trail camera and did some scouting. It was a great day overall.

While out cottontail hunting, I came across about 20 Turkeys. About 4 hens and tons of little guys (now I know where to go during season). Also, I ran a bunch of quail in the tall grass looking for rabbits. I normally hunt quail here, so I know they're out there, but it's nice to see them moving year-round. Also bagged a few rabbits.

Then I went to my deer spot to get my camera (it was just about pitch black). As soon as I got out of my car, I ran into a bunch of quail. I also ran into them last time I was out scouting, so this could be a promising quail spot when season comes around. Then I hiked to where my camera is. I put my camera here because there was tons of fresh deer poop, multiple piles in the area, so I figured there was a group or a single deer that comes by consistently.

Also, the week before, I left my camera out in the desert and got a weird thing on the cam. A bobcat, I guess I never really thought about them so it was cool to see them on the cam. Pictures are below.




















and this is irrelivent, but I also got a coyote here a couple weeks before with my .22

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Untamed1972 Untamed1972 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,446
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Damn....that's a nice buck! Where exactly was that anyway? LOL

I was out bunny blastin' last night too, and got side tracked stalking some does I came came across. One of them told me she would just die to wear my G-13 tag in a couple months LOL

Found a guys hunting license on the ground too.....wasn't yours was it?
__________________
"Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

Last edited by Untamed1972; 07-18-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Damn....that's a nice buck! Where exactly was that anyway? LOL

I was out bunny blastin' last night too, and got side tracked stalking so does I came came across. One of them told me she would just die to wear my G-13 tag in a couple months LOL

Found a guys hunting license on the ground too.....wasn't yours was it?
Haha I don't even tell my family where I am going when I'm out deer scouting. I've done my topo homowork, google earth, and hours of scouting and paid tons of gas money, I'm not risking a security breach You can say this is my secluded spot in D5. Cause nobody wants to hike 5 miles to deer hunt

But anyways, I just started carrying my hunting license on me while hunting. I used to leave it in the car, but apparently you can get in trouble when hunting if you don't have your license on you in person. yikes
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

And you have an antlerless tag? I NEED one of those. Half the spots I've been scouting onnly have does...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
DirtyDave's Avatar
DirtyDave DirtyDave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,294
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
Haha I don't even tell my family where I am going when I'm out deer scouting.

But anyways, I just started carrying my hunting license on me while hunting. I used to leave it in the car, but apparently you can get in trouble when hunting if you don't have your license on you in person. yikes
1 ) ALWAYS tell SOMEBODY where you are going and when you expect to be back or when to expect a call/check in. Do this for your Wife/GF/Parents etc.
I print out a google map and circle the area I will be in, Name nearby roads, list names and phone #'s of people I will be with (if any).
Dont be cocky. Cocky can get you killed.

2 ) License and Tags must be in your possession while hunting.

3 ) Nice deer you caught on cam!
__________________
Hic Ego Statio

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Untamed1972 Untamed1972 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,446
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
Haha I don't even tell my family where I am going when I'm out deer scouting. I've done my topo homowork, google earth, and hours of scouting and paid tons of gas money, I'm not risking a security breach You can say this is my secluded spot in D5. Cause nobody wants to hike 5 miles to deer hunt

But anyways, I just started carrying my hunting license on me while hunting. I used to leave it in the car, but apparently you can get in trouble when hunting if you don't have your license on you in person. yikes
I was just teasin.....its pretty expected that you keep your public land scouts to yourself.

And yes, your license must be ON YOUR PERSON when you're hunting.

Gonna stick the one I found in the mail since the name and address are on it, along with a sticky note giving him a lil sh*t for losing it. LOL

Yea.....I got lucky and pulled a G-13 tag in the random drawing. I see does all the time too, so gotta make sure and fill that one this year.
__________________
"Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2013, 1:33 PM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
1 ) ALWAYS tell SOMEBODY where you are going and when you expect to be back or when to expect a call/check in. Do this for your Wife/GF/Parents etc.
I print out a google map and circle the area I will be in, Name nearby roads, list names and phone #'s of people I will be with (if any).
Dont be cocky. Cocky can get you killed.

2 ) License and Tags must be in your possession while hunting.

3 ) Nice deer you caught on cam!
haha I'm just kidding about not telling my family where I am. I've actually taken my dad out there. My mom hates when I hunt alone so I deffinetly let her know where I am.

I'm really excited about this buck tho. All the homework has payed off. Hopefully I can nab him when the season comes around.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2013, 1:37 PM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
I was just teasin.....its pretty expected that you keep your public land scouts to yourself.

And yes, your license must be ON YOUR PERSON when you're hunting.

Gonna stick the one I found in the mail since the name and address are on it, along with a sticky note giving him a lil sh*t for losing it. LOL

Yea.....I got lucky and pulled a G-13 tag in the random drawing. I see does all the time too, so gotta make sure and fill that one this year.
That's awesome! good luck on that hunt.

Last edited by huntandski; 07-18-2013 at 1:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2013, 2:03 PM
Untamed1972 Untamed1972 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,446
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
haha I'm just kidding about not telling my family where I am. I've actually taken my dad out there. My mom hates when I hunt alone so I deffinetly let her know where I am.

I'm really excited about this buck tho. All the homework has payed off. Hopefully I can nab him when the season comes around.
Dont you know....as soon as they hear the first shot they all run into the state park and hang out there till after thanksgiving LOL
__________________
"Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2013, 4:31 PM
huntandski's Avatar
huntandski huntandski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,534
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Dont you know....as soon as they hear the first shot they all run into the state park and hang out there till after thanksgiving LOL
Hahahaha so true! Another Calgunner and I were driving to go jackrabbit blasting last week and had to pass through a state park and saw a group of about 10 bucks, with a few more bucks and tons of does spread out through the park as we drove through it.

Hopefully I can get the first shot of the season off
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2013, 9:57 PM
thegreyman2013's Avatar
thegreyman2013 thegreyman2013 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 134
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
Haha I don't even tell my family where I am going when I'm out deer scouting. I've done my topo homowork, google earth, and hours of scouting and paid tons of gas money, I'm not risking a security breach You can say this is my secluded spot in D5. Cause nobody wants to hike 5 miles to deer hunt

But anyways, I just started carrying my hunting license on me while hunting. I used to leave it in the car, but apparently you can get in trouble when hunting if you don't have your license on you in person. yikes
Nice work man!
__________________
"You gotta pay to play"

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2013, 3:54 AM
rooster85's Avatar
rooster85 rooster85 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 677
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
haha I'm just kidding about not telling my family where I am. I've actually taken my dad out there. My mom hates when I hunt alone so I deffinetly let her know where I am.

I'm really excited about this buck tho. All the homework has payed off. Hopefully I can nab him when the season comes around.
To each his own. Most of my most memorable hunts are solo hunts DEEP in the back country somewhere. Congrats on locating a legal buck, hopefully you'll hang a tag on him this year.
__________________
Looking for : Savage 24 .30-30/12 Ga
Marlin 336 .35 Rem
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2013, 8:34 AM
Untamed1972 Untamed1972 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,446
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
To each his own. Most of my most memorable hunts are solo hunts DEEP in the back country somewhere. Congrats on locating a legal buck, hopefully you'll hang a tag on him this year.
Yep......most of my hunting is done alone. Usually just a matter of schedules, I go when I have the day(s) available whether there is anyone to go with me or not.
__________________
"Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2013, 7:49 PM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,234
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Nice pics. Seems like you found some good spots.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2013, 8:03 PM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 886
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Pie, that buck in your avatar is massive, where did you get him?



Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Nice pics. Seems like you found some good spots.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
KWalkerM KWalkerM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,032
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandski View Post
Hahahaha so true! Another Calgunner and I were driving to go jackrabbit blasting last week and had to pass through a state park and saw a group of about 10 bucks, with a few more bucks and tons of does spread out through the park as we drove through it.

Hopefully I can get the first shot of the season off

eh that's nothing, I live in a very rural town with 2 stoplights and their was a 5x5 in velvet still growing, chilling in the residential areas. they are smart and go where its safe.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,234
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Ill tell you the story in the morning. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
Pie, that buck in your avatar is massive, where did you get him?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,234
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Have you seen the Bend oregon buck thats walking around town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh that's nothing, I live in a very rural town with 2 stoplights and their was a 5x5 in velvet still growing, chilling in the residential areas. they are smart and go where its safe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-20-2013, 8:05 AM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,234
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
Pie, that buck in your avatar is massive, where did you get him?
Nevada, it was a last day buck. Funny story, I bought a landowner tag because I always wanted a big muley. The ranch had two tags and the year before they had taken 192 and 194 net typical 4xs. Of course I go and there is no weather and the 185 buck that had been in the alfalfa all week dissapears the day I get there. So i ended up shooting the buck in my avatar which is lucky to scrape 170 cause of crabbed fronts on the last day.

I buy the tag the next year but end up drawing a hard to get elk tag. I cant really afford to go on one hunt let alone two so I sell the tag to a friend. He kills a big 36 1/2 wide 197 gross within minutes of getting to camp.

Of course it takes me 21 consecutive days of scouting/hunting to kill my 340 bull right at dark on the last 5 minutes of the season. That was guided with two guides and torwards the end when things were getting desperate we had a couple days where we had 5 or 6 guys out looking for elk.Including my time the guides the people that came to help there was 60+ days invested in that elk. And to top it off the horse i rode died on the drive home in the horse trailer, it got stiff and had to be cut up with a chainsaw to get it out. lol. Deer hunted the same spot the next 2 years had a 350 bull walk by camp on the first day of the next year. The following year glassed a 385 on the first nite of scouting. I have bad luck and pretty much suck at hunting. And I still havnt killed a big muley.

Last edited by pieeater; 07-20-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
thegreyman2013's Avatar
thegreyman2013 thegreyman2013 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 134
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Nevada, it was a last day buck. Funny story, I bought a landowner tag because I always wanted a big muley. The ranch had two tags and the year before they had taken 192 and 194 net typical 4xs. Of course I go and there is no weather and the 185 buck that had been in the alfalfa all week dissapears the day I get there. So i ended up shooting the buck in my avatar which is lucky to scrape 170 cause of crabbed fronts on the last day.

I buy the tag the next year but end up drawing a hard to get elk tag. I cant really afford to go on one hunt let alone two so I sell the tag to a friend. He kills a big 36 1/2 wide 197 gross within minutes of getting to camp.

Of course it takes me 21 consecutive days of scouting/hunting to kill my 340 bull right at dark on the last 5 minutes of the season. That was guided with two guides and torwards the end when things were getting desperate we had a couple days where we had 5 or 6 guys out looking for elk.Including my time the guides the people that came to help there was 60+ days invested in that elk. And to top it off the horse i rode died on the drive home in the horse trailer, it got stiff and had to be cut up with a chainsaw to get it out. lol. Deer hunted the same spot the next 2 years had a 350 bull walk by camp on the first day of the next year. The following year glassed a 385 on the first nite of scouting. I have bad luck and pretty much suck at hunting. And I still havnt killed a big muley.
Somebody ^^ keeping it REAL on the forums. ^^ honesty is appreciated and I doubt you suck- you're probably better than 95% of the folks out here.
__________________
"You gotta pay to play"

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM
DeanW66's Avatar
DeanW66 DeanW66 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)
Posts: 5,091
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

OP, that's a nice looking deer. Hope you score on him when season comes around.
__________________
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2013, 6:29 PM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 886
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Read this Saturday morning before going out to check my cameras, LMAO all day! Still laughing, glad I didn't have to see that horse get cut out of the trailer with a chain saw! Then the 9th hour 340 bull, hilarious story, thanks!




Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Nevada, it was a last day buck. Funny story, I bought a landowner tag because I always wanted a big muley. The ranch had two tags and the year before they had taken 192 and 194 net typical 4xs. Of course I go and there is no weather and the 185 buck that had been in the alfalfa all week dissapears the day I get there. So i ended up shooting the buck in my avatar which is lucky to scrape 170 cause of crabbed fronts on the last day.

I buy the tag the next year but end up drawing a hard to get elk tag. I cant really afford to go on one hunt let alone two so I sell the tag to a friend. He kills a big 36 1/2 wide 197 gross within minutes of getting to camp.

Of course it takes me 21 consecutive days of scouting/hunting to kill my 340 bull right at dark on the last 5 minutes of the season. That was guided with two guides and torwards the end when things were getting desperate we had a couple days where we had 5 or 6 guys out looking for elk.Including my time the guides the people that came to help there was 60+ days invested in that elk. And to top it off the horse i rode died on the drive home in the horse trailer, it got stiff and had to be cut up with a chainsaw to get it out. lol. Deer hunted the same spot the next 2 years had a 350 bull walk by camp on the first day of the next year. The following year glassed a 385 on the first nite of scouting. I have bad luck and pretty much suck at hunting. And I still havnt killed a big muley.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:55 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.