Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-17-2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Whats wrong? Afraid to answer a simple question?
Yes.You scare me. I am terrified of you. I'm so scared of you, Im hunkering down and calling 911.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 07-17-2013, 8:40 PM

Hi, where do you aim at a deer?
Old 07-17-2013, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can't we all get along.The main problem is the deer population is in the toilet and public land does not produce that much deer.Hunting from a private ranch is not the same as hunting public.Some peop
le still get deer but success rate is real low.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 07-17-2013, 8:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
Can't we all get along.The main problem is the deer population is in the toilet and public land does not produce that much deer.Hunting from a private ranch is not the same as hunting public.Some peop
the deer population here is not as well as it should be and poorly managed by this state and IMO by their own design it's that way.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-17-2013, 8:51 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Deer populations could be fixed but nobody would like it. It would involve reducing tags. Which would reduce hunter opportunity and dfw revenue.
Old 07-17-2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptuna View Post
Hi, where do you aim at a deer?
Is that a serious question?
Old 07-17-2013, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67 View Post
Is that a serious question?
it might be.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Deer populations could be fixed but nobody would like it. It would involve reducing tags. Which would reduce hunter opportunity and dfw revenue.
they could also allow the taking of does which i see way too many when i go deer hunting. that the public would freak out.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
Since i think you are hunting "B" zone, you MAY have a different perspective on this. Maybe! Depends on where you go.
Old 07-18-2013, 6:02 AM

Man you guys need to learn how to answer questions
Old 07-18-2013, 6:56 AM
CGSSA Associate

WOW!

Hope everyone feels better.......like all hobbies it takes time and money! One doesn't make up for the other.

I would love a shooting clinic! And an A zone deer clinic! Hell I would even bring a keg of my homebrew IPA for the goat BBQ!
Old 07-18-2013, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
WOW!

Hope everyone feels better.......like all hobbies it takes time and money! One doesn't make up for the other.

I would love a shooting clinic! And an A zone deer clinic! Hell I would even bring a keg of my homebrew IPA for the goat BBQ!
MJB you sound like my kind of guy.

Cheers brother

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-18-2013 at 7:06 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The problem with someone(s) here is that their very large egos tend to block their view, hence they dont realize that they're can't see out of their own narrow box.

Not everyone has their own private property to hunt on and that borders private land. Some folks have to drive quite a ways which limits field time and preseason scouting, etc. Or could even preclude any meaningful ability to scout all together depending on one's location and other responsibilities.

Not everyone can shoot on their own property. So getting time on short notice to zero a new scope or whatever may be difficult, since a range trip can take time dependong on where are. My back fence is a state park on one side and NF on the other (no open shooting allowed in the NF, only for hunting). But I can't shoot on my property due to neighbor proximity, lack of backstop etc. I'm 30-45min to a range to go zero at. Factor in drive time, range hours, time at the range etc, and you're talking a 1/2 day afair by the time it's all said and done.

Not everyone was raised hunting and had mentors to show them the way. Some people get into it later in life and gotta mostly go it on their own. When someone starts out, all they have as a frame of reference is what if any applicable or slightly applicable knowledge they might have and they go from there. There is nothing wrong with that.

But to instantly jump the sh*t of any novice that comes here asking for advice regardless of how stupid you think their questions might be, slapping them in the face with you self-proclaimed huge d!ck, and berating them for basically not being YOU is just plain stupid and arrogant. I'm pretty sure unless you were born with a rifle in your hand and hunting license as a birthmark, you started somewhere too.

So personally......my feeling is if you can't answer questions and share your knowledge without being a total sh*thead about it......then seriously......dont post cuz no one is interested in your attitude. If anything it makes us here at CGN look bad and it's not appreciated.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-18-2013, 7:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
The problem with someone(s) here is that their very large egos tend to block their view, hence they dont realize that they're can't see out of their own narrow box.

Not everyone has their own private property to hunt on and that borders private land. Some folks have to drive quite a ways which limits field time and preseason scouting, etc. Or could even preclude any meaningful ability to scout all together depending on one's location and other responsibilities.

Not everyone can shoot on their own property. So getting time on short notice to zero a new scope or whatever may be difficult, since a range trip can take time dependong on where are. My back fence is a state park on one side and NF on the other (no open shooting allowed in the NF, only for hunting). But I can't shoot on my property due to neighbor proximity, lack of backstop etc. I'm 30-45min to a range to go zero at. Factor in drive time, range hours, time at the range etc, and you're talking a 1/2 day afair by the time it's all said and done.

Not everyone was raised hunting and had mentors to show them the way. Some people get into it later in life and gotta mostly go it on their own. When someone starts out, all they have as a frame of reference is what if any applicable or slightly applicable knowledge they might have and they go from there. There is nothing wrong with that.

But to instantly jump the sh*t of any novice that comes here asking for advice regardless of how stupid you think their questions might be, slapping them in the face with you self-proclaimed huge d!ck, and berating them for basically not being YOU is just plain stupid and arrogant. I'm pretty sure unless you were born with a rifle in your hand and hunting license as a birthmark, you started somewhere too.

So personally......my feeling is if you can't answer questions and share your knowledge without being a total sh*thead about it......then seriously......dont post cuz no one is interested in your attitude. If anything it makes us here at CGN look bad and it's not appreciated.
this is what people on this board FAIL to realize.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

AWESOME. What he ^^ said.

Old 07-18-2013, 7:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sorry if you can't spot a troll/liar.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe not......but I can sure spot and arrogant ***** when I see one. My post was speaking to things I've seen go on here across many threads over the entire time I've been on CGN......not just this thread or a couple of recent ones. It's an ongoing issue and quite frankly.....it's BULLSH*T.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-18-2013, 8:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe not......but I can sure spot and arrogant ***** when I see one. My post was speaking to things I've seen go on here across many threads over the entire time I've been on CGN......not just this thread or a couple of recent ones. It's an ongoing issue and quite frankly.....it's BULLSH*T.
Maybe you should get yourself a foot massage to make yourself feel better?
Old 07-18-2013, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe you should get yourself a foot massage to make yourself feel better?
That's sounds rather enjoyable actually. Still wont change my opinion though.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 9:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's sounds rather enjoyable actually. Still wont change my opinion though.

EHH I tried to help the person and gave them good information but they just don't get it.

When you give someone straight, good, not sugar coated advice and they want to argue with you after they came here looking for answers... Really?

Not to mention that if you really look at their statements and how they respond, REALLY?

Read the the OP of the other thread and connect the dots. You might gain a better understanding.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
EHH I tried to help the person and gave them good information but they just don't get it.

When you give someone straight, good, not sugar coated advice and they want to argue with you after they came here looking for answers... Really?

Not to mention that if you really look at their statements and how they respond, REALLY?

Read the the OP of the other thread and connect the dots. You might gain a better understanding.
Trust me I get it. You are the God of hunting and backwoods knowledge. You are like a JEDI. I get it, you are the best in the business. You are the all knowing. I am just a mere poser and I just want to learn from you. Will you allow me to learn from you? Will you be my new Kung Fu master? Please pretty please?

Old 07-18-2013, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I'm not excusing anyone elses behavior. Each person is responsible for how they choose to respond. But dont expect that everyone will fit into the same set of circumstances that you do, and may not be able to essentially making hunting the main focus of their life. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be able to enjoy the sport on whatever level they are able. Which quite often is the role hunting guides and outfitter play. They bring the experience and field time that someone with a busy life or precluding circumstance dont allow them to aquire on their own. Nothing wrong with that.

How is what the OP was asking for/looking for any different than someone like YOU for example who despite being an accomplished hunter wants to go to say Canada or Alaska and hunt elk, or moose, or caribou? You gonna just hop on a plane and fly up there and start walking around in the woods? Should you be bashed as a poser because you dont months to spend in the area getting to know it, patterning the animals etc, etc? If you're a working family man and only have a week available to make such a trip what would you do? You'd prolly hire a local guide wouldn't you?

So why does this guy get ripped a new one for just looking for a place to get started?
If he get's hooked up with a good guide, you dont think he might start learning a few things?
Dispelling some of his incorrect notions perhaps?

Quote for the day:
Quote:

Last edited by Untamed1972; 07-18-2013 at 9:39 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 9:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not excusing anyone elses behavior. Each person is responsible for how they choose to respond. But dont expect that everyone will fit into the same set of circumstances that you do, and may not be able to essentially making hunting the main focus of their life. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be able to enjoy the sport on whatever level they are able. Which quite often is the role hunting guides and outfitter play. They bring the experience and field time that someone with a busy life or precluding circumstance dont allow them to aquire on their own. Nothing wrong with that.
Exactly ^^^

Old 07-18-2013, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptuna View Post
Man you guys need to learn how to answer questions
Likewise.
Old 07-18-2013, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67 View Post
Likewise.
Some people actually do answer questions. Imagine that. Thanks to some professional members of this great forum, I actually received some good info on Deer outfitters/guides. Even with the annoying madness of TAPERXZ, I was able to get what I needed. So mission accomplished.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM

He asked a question, and I asked if it was a serious one. Not at all unreasonable in the context of this thread, don't you think?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ripping a guy for wanting a hunting guide, and who can provide a good experience is like a professional NASCAR driver ripping someone for going to one of those NASCAR driving experience things and telling them unless they devote themselves to becoming a professional driver they're a poser and will never amount to anything.

Sometimes people just enjoy dabbling in many different experiences. I've majorly shifted hobbies a couple of times in my life. It's called LIVING!

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

How is what the OP was asking for/looking for any different than someone like YOU for example who despite being an accomplished hunter wants to go to say Canada or Alaska and hunt elk, or moose, or caribou? You gonna just hop on a plane and fly up there and start walking around in the woods? Should you be bashed as a poser because you dont months to spend in the area getting to know it, patterning the animals etc, etc? If you're a working family man and only have a week available to make such a trip what would you do? You'd prolly hire a local guide wouldn't you?

So why does this guy get ripped a new one for just looking for a place to get started?
If he get's hooked up with a good guide, you dont think he might start learning a few things?
Dispelling some of his incorrect notions perhaps?
You have to remember something here to. First of all, Getting a guide for deer is big bucks. The OP stated he can't afford one at current prices. With that said, are there others that are cheaper? YES! Why would a successful guide service charge less than market value if they are good at what they do though?

Keep in mind, I didn't learn how to hunt by reading the interwebs. I learned on my own by looking at maps, traveling to new places (blind) and getting out and hunting. (just like most people) I have never used a guide service. Except for hogs, i see no real need to use a guide service in this state.

The OP has stated several factors in regards to hunting. He states, he has no time to scout, he has had no success with large game, he can't afford the going rate for a guide, rejects the ability to walk into a National Forest and try on his own with the idea he probably won't be successful at first and maybe even first couple of years. His golf and motorcycling is more important, He thinks that his shooting ability alone will get him a large game animal but yet see again his inability to do so.

So what you have here is someone who wants ,wants wants but is not willing to act as an apprentice, can't afford to be taught by a good guide, and won't take the time to learn on his own. What am i missing here?

Oh, his solution is to shoot farm raised animals and then complain about how the animals were passive and the how the other animals he did not shoot didn't even move after he made a kill. What exactly did he expect from a hunt like that? Then come here on CGN with his complaint, and try to beg others to find out what he should do and how he can become a better hunter.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Just testing putting up images
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
CGSSA Associate

huntandski, got my blood pumping with that pick... 3+ weeks to go!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM

You know, it's interesting to sniff around phenol inter webs. Some guys who constantly claim to be the Mutual of Omaha wilderness studs shouldn't use the same username on their other posts and or videos.

Just saying....

Shooting chickens from your single wide on someone else ranch might take away a little cred

Grey an, if you ever find yourself up my way pm me. I'd be glad to show you around. Thanks for your service!
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You have to remember something here to. First of all, Getting a guide for deer is big bucks. The OP stated he can't afford one at current prices. With that said, are there others that are cheaper? YES! Why would a successful guide service charge less than market value if they are good at what they do though?

Keep in mind, I didn't learn how to hunt by reading the interwebs. I learned on my own by looking at maps, traveling to new places (blind) and getting out and hunting. (just like most people) I have never used a guide service. Except for hogs, i see no real need to use a guide service in this state.

The OP has stated several factors in regards to hunting. He states, he has no time to scout, he has had no success with large game, he can't afford the going rate for a guide, rejects the ability to walk into a National Forest and try on his own with the idea he probably won't be successful at first and maybe even first couple of years. His golf and motorcycling is more important, He thinks that his shooting ability alone will get him a large game animal but yet see again his inability to do so.

So what you have here is someone who wants ,wants wants but is not willing to act as an apprentice, can't afford to be taught by a good guide, and won't take the time to learn on his own. What am i missing here?

Oh, his solution is to shoot farm raised animals and then complain about how the animals were passive and the how the other animals he did not shoot didn't even move after he made a kill. What exactly did he expect from a hunt like that? Then come here on CGN with his complaint, and try to beg others to find out what he should do and how he can become a better hunter.
That all may well be true. So what? I dont know what the going rate for a deer guide in CA is either. Why? Cuz I've never looked into it. But if I was interested I would have to start looking somewhere right?

I get that you're self taught and put the miles on your boots to get your experience. My point is "you've had the time and ability to do that". But you keep framing all of your coments in the context of YOUR personal circumstances.

Speaking in general, not just about the OP, not everyone is able to do that. My point in using an example of Canada or Alaska is, unless you live there, putting in that kind of field time isn't something even YOU are likely to be able to do, and there is no shame in seeking a local guide to make the most of your time on the ground especially if your time is very limited.

So if perhaps you're a busy working man in one of the major metro areas in CA, have a family, some other hobbies etc. So for such a person, scouting somewhere in CA might as well be scouting in Canada.

Are there not guys who fly to Canada once a year to hunt, or travel to some other state to hunt deer or elk or whatever? It's done all the time. Hunting is not their life, it's just something they do occasionally and they pay someone to do the leg work and bring the experience. The OP wasn't asking how to become a master hunter, he was asking where he could go to be guided and have a good experience.....and yes.....hopefully some success. If I paid big bucks to go hunt somewhere, I'd like to be successful too.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
That all may well be true. So what? I dont know what the going rate for a deer guide in CA is either. Why? Cuz I've never looked into it. But if I was interested I would have to start looking somewhere right?

I get that you're self taught and put the miles on your boots to get your experience. My point is "you've had the time and ability to do that". But you keep framing all of your coments in the context of YOUR personal circumstances.

Speaking in general, not just about the OP, not everyone is able to do that. My point in using an example of Canada or Alaska is, unless you live there, putting in that kind of field time isn't something even YOU are likely to be able to do, and there is no shame in seeking a local guide to make the most of your time on the ground especially if your time is very limited.

So if perhaps you're a busy working man in one of the major metro areas in CA, have a family, some other hobbies etc. So for such a person, scouting somewhere in CA might as well be scouting in Canada.

Are there not guys who fly to Canada once a year to hunt, or travel to some other state to hunt deer or elk or whatever? It's done all the time. Hunting is not their life, it's just something they do occasionally and they pay someone to do the leg work and bring the experience. The OP wasn't asking how to become a master hunter, he was asking where he could go to be guided and have a good experience.....and yes.....hopefully some success. If I paid big bucks to go hunt somewhere, I'd like to be successful too.
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area Married 27 years with 3 kids, i did not live in a rural area for most of my life. I didn't have OTHER HOBBIES that inhibited my ability to not become an avid hunter.

My point was more along the lines of, if you do want to get into hunting, and you want to be successful, you have to put the time in no matter what. If that means giving up other hobbies so be it. If you don't want to give up those hobbies, then expect poor results in the field when you go hunting.

Its a priority thing! If you have the money for a guide then that works too!! If you don't, then oh well, you can't have what you can't afford.

Yes, i do go to Canada once a year to hunt for geese. Its also an all inclusive (airfare excluded) where food, lodging, cleaning, packaging (for the plane). This is really a different kind of hunt than big game though.

The OP in question appears to literally live next to the los padres and FHL. My advice was to simply, go hunt. Its available within an hour or two if you want it bad enough.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideflange View Post
You know, it's interesting to sniff around phenol inter webs. Some guys who constantly claim to be the Mutual of Omaha wilderness studs shouldn't use the same username on their other posts and or videos.

Just saying....

Shooting chickens from your single wide on someone else ranch might take away a little cred

Grey an, if you ever find yourself up my way pm me. I'd be glad to show you around. Thanks for your service!
Maybe one day just one day you might too have some credibility other than spouting off your lack of accomplishments. Perhaps you could look at some of your past postings. You ain't all that either. Oh and i apologize for getting to live where the game live. You want to fault me for being able to hunt everyday of the year on my own place??? LOL Little jeal are we?

Last edited by taperxz; 07-18-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe one day just one day you might too have some credibility other than spouting off your lack of accomplishments. Perhaps you could look at some of your past postings. You ain't all that either. Oh and i apologize for getting to live where the game live. You want to fault me for being able to hunt everyday of the year on my own place??? LOL Little jeal are we?
maybe if you would stop shoving in people's face it might get better. but many already know that won't happen either.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
maybe if you would stop shoving in people's face it might get better. but many already know that won't happen either.
Don't like it don't read it. I hardly ever read your posts unless you are referring to me in some way.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
By the way, thats an interesting concept you have since this is a computer forum
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
By the way, thats an interesting concept you have since this is a computer forum
means the same. since you post about it quite often

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Nono you never answered my question.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder who you are talking about? hmmmm I have a guess.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.