Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 06-30-2013, 2:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Who owns a Fort Knox Safe

I was at the SD county fair on Friday and I came across a safe vendor at one of the booths. He told me the best safe he had (regarding body) two sheets of 14 gauge and a sheet rock center. WTF?? I then asked him if he carried Fort Knox products and he totally dismissed them saying they were inferior products to "American Security" and "Cannon" safes that he carried.

Gawd I wish I had the company's name but this guy seems full of it. I specifically remember him saying one of his safes with a 3/16" plate steel door was just as strong as a 3/8" standard steel counterpart, at which point I grabbed my wife and walked away.

ALL ITEMS FOR SALE ARE FROM NORTH SD COUNTY AND WILL SHIP (EXCEPT AMMO CANS)

$30 - M16 PREBAN Magazines - ***30+ AVAILABLE***
$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Old 06-30-2013, 2:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default fort knox safes

I have purchased several gun safes in the past, you eventually outgrow them and require a larger and stronger safe. I purchased a fort knox executive model a few years ago, and have been extremely happy with it. The workmanship and finish is top notch in comparison to other manufacturers. Here is the safe being delivered: Attachment 245514

Last edited by drdanno84; 09-08-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 2:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was just blown away that the guy told me there was sheetrock...as the filler of the safe body to help mitigate side attacks. when I asked him if any of his safes had stainless steel in the body he said its inferior to the filler. I think im getting off on more of a rant but I really felt like this guy had no idea wat hes was talking about.

either way I'm gonng get me a fort knox.

$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Old 06-30-2013, 4:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i've always wanted a Fort Knox.
Old 06-30-2013, 7:17 AM

Don't you know that drywall is stronger than steel????
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fireproof Gun Safes

Make sure you have a Fireproof gun safe that exceeds 1200 degrees. A gun safe that is fireproof is the number one criteria for security. The chances of you having a fire are 5 times more likely than being burglarized. Having a waterproof gun safe is great too. When your gaskets expand during a fire, they seal your safe from hot air and water damage. When buying a fireproof gun safe make sure it has more than just drywall for fireproofing. 99% of gun safes sold online are cheap gun safes with drywall. The first thing you should ask a gun safe salesman is "Does your gun safe have drywall fireproofing?" If he says, "yes", look elsewhere. Are you only buying one fireproof gun safe? Look for a gun safe with 2300 degree ceramic or fire safe cement. Those are the best kinds of fireproofing.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
Old 06-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I was just blown away that the guy told me there was sheetrock...as the filler of the safe body to help mitigate side attacks. when I asked him if any of his safes had stainless steel in the body he said its inferior to the filler. I think im getting off on more of a rant but I really felt like this guy had no idea wat hes was talking about.

either way I'm gonng get me a fort knox.
Sheetrock is an excellent form of insulation against fire. A double layer of 5/8" sheetrock/gypsum board/drywall will provide adequate protection for the average fire inside a residence, especially if they safe is located inside a closet that is, itself, made with two layers of sheetrock. Some people simply put the sheetrock on the exterior of the safe but be sure to seal the edges with fire resistant caulking. If you encapsulate the top, back and sides in sheetrock you will still need to provide insulation for the door. That could be dealt with using a layer or two of sheetrock on the inside of the door.
Old 06-30-2013, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Fort Knox are nicer in fit and finish, but they are an inferior safe to the AMSEC BF series. If you're going to drop that kind of coin and care about the best protection, get an AMSEC BF. The AMSEC BF has the same body thickness as a Fort Knox, but has a poured concrete fill in place of fireboard that offers superior fire and burglary protection.

Off-roster M&P45C & Ruger Redhawk for sale in Nor Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 06-30-2013, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm more concerned with having like a 10 or 11 gauge body with stainless steel (torch cutter protection). Fireproofing was my first check in the box I'm more concerned with side attacks as most any decent safe focuses on the door and fire rating already

$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Old 06-30-2013, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm more concerned with having like a 10 or 11 gauge body with stainless steel (torch cutter protection). Fireproofing was my first check in the box I'm more concerned with side attacks as most any decent safe focuses on the door and fire rating already
The BF will be more resistant to side attacks than a standard Fort Knox. The poured concrete fill is under pressure and as a result it is very hard to put a hole in the side of it. The difference between any gauge steel is negligible, you have to step up to at least 1/4in plate for the steel to count. The poured fill makes a difference because it is like trying to beat a hole in 10 gauge steel on top of a brick. It isn't going to work.

Off-roster M&P45C & Ruger Redhawk for sale in Nor Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 06-30-2013, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So your claim is that there are 5 house fires for every residential burglary? In my 42 years of being on this planet I don't know anyone that knows anyone that knows anyone that has had even a minor fire in their home. On the flipside I personally know a handful of people that have had break-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanno84 View Post
Fireproof Gun Safes

Make sure you have a Fireproof gun safe that exceeds 1200 degrees. A gun safe that is fireproof is the number one criteria for security. The chances of you having a fire are 5 times more likely than being burglarized. Having a waterproof gun safe is great too. When your gaskets expand during a fire, they seal your safe from hot air and water damage. When buying a fireproof gun safe make sure it has more than just drywall for fireproofing. 99% of gun safes sold online are cheap gun safes with drywall. The first thing you should ask a gun safe salesman is "Does your gun safe have drywall fireproofing?" If he says, "yes", look elsewhere. Are you only buying one fireproof gun safe? Look for a gun safe with 2300 degree ceramic or fire safe cement. Those are the best kinds of fireproofing.
Old 06-30-2013, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Probably the best $2300 you can spend.

http://www.deansafe.com/amg-bf6030.h...FU7hQgodkS0AbA

Sturdy is another name that will get you in the "real" safe game for <$3k.

Last edited by jdben92883; 06-30-2013 at 4:05 PM..
Old 06-30-2013, 6:03 PM

I love my Fort Knox!

PARTS FOR SALE ! AK / AR / GLOCK / S&W / MOSSBERG / 870 / RUGER MINI 14 / 10-22 / H&K / 6-9 BI-POD : CLICK HERE ! : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post16746366
Old 06-30-2013, 7:09 PM

Fort Knox is nice but after my BF I think I would need to take a huge step up to really find something better, TL30 level Graffunder, etc.

Also, amsec has some nice optional finishes which are just as nice as the others.
Old 07-09-2013, 2:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Custom order from the Ft. Knox website and you can get better specs.

EDIT: Their Legend series have a 1/4" body with a 10 gauge stainless steel liner.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 07-09-2013 at 2:44 AM..
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Fort Knox are nicer in fit and finish, but they are an inferior safe to the AMSEC BF series. If you're going to drop that kind of coin and care about the best protection, get an AMSEC BF. The AMSEC BF has the same body thickness as a Fort Knox, but has a poured concrete fill in place of fireboard that offers superior fire and burglary protection.
I will agree and disagree with you. Firstly a Defender has a 10 gauge outer shell which is thicker then the BF's 11 gauge. The BF does have a inner 11 gauge as well making it overall a thicker box.

Standard vs Standard safe, the BF stacks up a little better, but for not a whole lot money, $499, you can upgrade a 10 gauge box and 1/4" door to a 3/16" box and a 3/8" sheet in the door in the Knox. I do like that the BF is a cast type safe but it does not provide better fire protection, per each manufactures rating. However, I do believe it does limit side wall attacks more then a comparable outer shell and fire-board. I have both brands on my floor and both have a ravenous following as they are heralded on the internet, come see em both and make the decision for yourself.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
Fort Knox is nice but after my BF I think I would need to take a huge step up to really find something better, TL30 level Graffunder, etc.

Also, amsec has some nice optional finishes which are just as nice as the others.
Alot of guys in your situation go to this, RF6528 TL-30 firearm safe.
http://www.westcoastsafes.com/amsec-...rit-p-131.html
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCSafes View Post
Alot of guys in your situation go to this, RF6528 TL-30 firearm safe.
http://www.westcoastsafes.com/amsec-...rit-p-131.html
What are your thoughts on the RF6528? Overkill? How does it stack up with the other safes in terms of fire/theft/body thickness?

I also noticed it doesn't have any kind of sealing to keep out smoke and water in case of a fire. Can that be added when ordering or be put on afterwards?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by engi View Post
What are your thoughts on the RF6528? Overkill? How does it stack up with the other safes in terms of fire/theft/body thickness?

I also noticed it doesn't have any kind of sealing to keep out smoke and water in case of a fire. Can that be added when ordering or be put on afterwards?
I sell them both so I can be a little unbiased and give info. I do not think it is overkill, but I have been in the safe business for 16 years and I have seen it all. It is one of the only TL rated gun safes on the market. A quick comparison to say a Fort Knox defender 7241, with upgrades.

I sell the RF 6528 for $4699 in textured.

Defender 7241 roughly $3900 ( this is not a sale price ). Firstly you would want to upgrade the body thickness and door to avoid side wall attack and thicker door plate. Level 3 upgrade to 1/4" box and 1/2" door plate, $1100. To make it a comparable 2 hour fire safe, upgrade fire - $200. So we are at $5200 and the safe is still a UL Residential Security Container, not a TL-30. The safe I just built for you is amazing, but it will weight about 1500lbs less and will not have the TL-30 rating. Bottom line, if you can fit the RF go with it. The sucker is not winning any beauty pageants but it is an amazing product.

No commercial safes ( the RF is a commercial safe with a gun interior) have a heat expanding seal, I have it though if it would give you peace of mind. Let me know if you have anyother questions.
Best,
Brad
West Coast Safes, Inc.