Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-01-2008, 9:57 AM

Default H&R M12 scope question

Anyone have advice or suggestions on which scope to mount on an M12 using Ken Viani's mount. I will be using it as a benchrest gun. My concerns are eye relief and scope length. I tried a Simmons I had at the house and found it would not mount far enough to the rear for decent eye relief. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2008, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I had an H&R M12 with a Ken Viani mount but sold it after I couldn't get it to shoot the way I wanted.

I had TPS low rings on them with a Weaver T36 scope. I had no issues with eye relief or height. But you can get mediums or even high rings if you need to get the scope farther back on the rail (since higher rings will allow the objective bell to clear a little more of the rail as it is placed farther to the rear).

If I can dig up any archived pictures, I can post them here.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 05-02-2008, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I had an H&R M12 with a Ken Viani mount but sold it after I couldn't get it to shoot the way I wanted.

I had TPS low rings on them with a Weaver T36 scope. I had no issues with eye relief or height. But you can get mediums or even high rings if you need to get the scope farther back on the rail (since higher rings will allow the objective bell to clear a little more of the rail as it is placed farther to the rear).

If I can dig up any archived pictures, I can post them here.
Thanks Jonathan. You're the second to suggest a T36. I'll look for the pics.

Last edited by mwarren2; 05-02-2008 at 8:39 PM..
Old 05-02-2008, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, I wasn't really recommending it. Just mentioning that's a scope that I mounted on it.

But yes, the T36 is a great scope. I just can't recommend any Weaver scope now that Meade Optics now owns the Weaver name (as well as Simmons). Meade has a strict warranty policy and requires original purchase receipt for warranty service (whereas the original Weaver had a fairly no-nonsense warranty service).

Given the state of affairs with the Weaver/Meade support, I would tell you to go with a Leupold fixed power for benchrest. Considering those are expensive, the next best thing at a lower price range would be a Sightron fixed power. Sightron has great warranty support (I emailed them with a problem and they did a straight up exchange for a brand new scope of the same exact model).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations