Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-30-2008, 4:53 PM

Default how to zero in my scope?

CAn anyone help with some tips on how to zero in a scope thanks? My scope is off when i shoot at a target at 100 yards. Is there a way to zeroing it.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

What's it mounted on?

If you can look down the barrel from the receiver end, the best bet is to prop it up on something solid, look down the barrel, line it up on something easy to find, then center the scope on the same thing. Check it back and forth a few times to make sure it didn't more.

If you can't boresight it, I usually start zeroing at 25 yards, then move to 50, then 100. Starting at 100 without being in the ballpark can be really tricky.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-30-2008, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Start at a closer distance.
This is how I do it to zero at 200y with .223.
Shoot at 25y -> adjust to shoot ~1.5" low
Shoot at 50y -> slightly re-adjust to center hit
Shoot at 100y -> slightly re-adjust to shoot ~1.2" high
Shoot at 200y -> slightly re-adjust to center hit

Unless it's a small target I can then go center-hold for anything from 25 out to appr 225 yards. Your off-sets will of course be different depending on ammunition and equipment, but it should give you an idea
Old 04-30-2008, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where are you located? If you're in Socal, we could meet at Angeles and I ould show you how to zero it at any distance with only one shot. There's no need to start close and work out from there. I can zero a scope at 1000 yards with only one shot, I shoot a second to fine tune it and a third for comfimation. There's nothing to it. I've even had a 13 year old do it at 1000 yards and he was able to hit a clay pigion, on the 1000 yard berm, on his third shot!
Old 04-30-2008, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Where are you located? If you're in Socal, we could meet at Angeles and I ould show you how to zero it at any distance with only one shot. There's no need to start close and work out from there. I can zero a scope at 1000 yards with only one shot, I shoot a second to fine tune it and a third for comfimation. There's nothing to it. I've even had a 13 year old do it at 1000 yards and he was able to hit a clay pigion, on the 1000 yard berm, on his third shot!
Can I get in on that offer? Im going to Angeles May 17th with my Savage .223 and Ruger 10/22. Just finished them...need to get it sighted in so im not wasting bullets
Old 04-30-2008, 7:19 PM

Depends on rifle and the round.

You have to find out what the trajectory and muzzle velocity of the round to determine the distance to zero the scope at.
Old 04-30-2008, 8:46 PM

Thanks for all the post
I have it mounted on the carry handle of my ar15. iTs a 4x30 scope.
Old 04-30-2008, 8:47 PM

I live in the bay area
Old 04-30-2008, 8:54 PM

Quote:
where's a place around here that goes to 1k yds?
Old 04-30-2008, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK, I have a little more time now so, I can explain how to do this. First, you NEED a good sturdy rest system. Now, go to a range and set up your rests and put your rifle on them. Pull the bolt and boresight your rifle at your target the best you can and then WITHOUT letting the gun move at all, adjust your scope until it's aiming at the same point. Then, dial in the appropriate elevation adjustment if you know it. At 1000 yards, a 50BMG travelling about 2700fps, has a bullet drop of about 28 feet. If your zeroing at 100 yards, you can disregard this step since, even a .22lr will be on paper as long as your using a 24" target. Now, your rifle is ready to fire the ONE shot you need to get it into the black. Aim at the center of your target. Oh yea, replace your bolt and load a round in your gun. Now aim and fire. Note your point of impact. Next re-aim your gun at your original point of aim and make sure it doesn't move (this is why a good rest system is a must). Next, without moving the gun, adjust the scope to your point of impact and you're done. Re- aim at your target and take another shot. If neccessay, repeat the above procedure again to fine tune your zero. Take another shot and, as long as your ammo and rifle are capable of it, you should be in the X-ring. Really, it's a lot easier to do than it sounds.

V8toytruck,
I'm not sure if I can get there on the 17th. PM me around the 14th ask me again.
Old 04-30-2008, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Z_l View Post
where's a place around here that goes to 1k yds?
Where are you? I've been shooting 1000 yards at Palimino Valley Gun Club (about 25 miles north of Reno) for about 4 years. Every fifth Sunday, Tom Miller holds a 1000 yard match just south of Palmdale. Colinga has a 1000 yard range. I think there's one around Sac. I've heard that Piru has a target at 1000 yards but, I can't confirm it. There are also some private ranges on ranches thoughout the state. Of course, there are also many safe places in the high desert if you know where to go.
Old 05-01-2008, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Here's some pics on boresighting an AR:

Take off the upper, remove the bolt/carrier/charging handle, and prop the upper on something solid that'll allow you to adjust where it's pointing. I use a pile of books.

Sight down the barrel at something easy to spot. I'm using the mirror ball in my back yard.

Adjust the scope until it's centered on whatever you've sighted down the barrel on.

Go back and forth a few times to make sure nothing's shifted. This should get you on the paper, and you can dial it in from there.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I"ve never shot at 1000 yards, but can you really see the bullet hole in the paper through the scope to make the adjustment? That must be either a big hole, powerful scope or both

With my old eyes I doubt I could see a .223 hole in paper with a 4x scope at 100 yards
Old 05-01-2008, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
I"ve never shot at 1000 yards, but can you really see the bullet hole in the paper through the scope to make the adjustment? That must be either a big hole, powerful scope or both

With my old eyes I doubt I could see a .223 hole in paper with a 4x scope at 100 yards
No, but when I'm pliking at clay pigions on the 1000yd berm, I can see the point of impact in the dirt. Or, during matches, we have target pullers that put spotter discs on the taget after evey shoot.