Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-22-2013, 1:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiechips View Post
Is the movie ok to take our 10 year old son to? We are a law enforcement family but he is not necessarily exposed to graphic details of work. He sees PG-13 movies and sometimes plays games like Call of Duty. I was concerned if the realism would be scary for him.
Like JimWest pointed out, there's a lot of historic images like lynchings and even some images of the holocaust. I think it would be best to see it yourself first and then decide if it's appropriate for your child.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 06-22-2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
$2.5M marketing budget....
Dinner and a show as we used to say on Wall Street. But I understand what you mean. Some of the AM talk shows give you some air time in an interview to plug your projects yet I didn't hear anything. Coulda just missed it though. At any rate, you guys pulled it off like it was 250 million.
Old 06-22-2013, 1:47 PM
Banned

Veggie-

Appropriate for 10yr old? Probably not so much because as others said, the lynching still pictures.

As to the F word... if you walk out when the credits start rolling, you'll miss that part. I did.

Ruger,
Yes Chengs comments left me sitting there going "HUH?"
Old 06-22-2013, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a bit disappointed that some people seem to think sheltering a 10 year old from history and life is the right thing to do. I remember seeing pictures of lynching in museums and history books. Are y'all the same ones who would "shelter" a 10 year old from observing a chicken with it's head on the chopping block instead of allowing them to learn how meat is procured?

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 06-22-2013, 3:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that some people seem to think sheltering a 10 year old from history and life is the right thing to do. I remember seeing pictures of lynching in museums and history books. Are y'all the same ones who would "shelter" a 10 year old from observing a chicken with it's head on the chopping block instead of allowing them to learn how meat is procured?
Killing chickens is wrong. Everyone should only eat chicken that the store makes!
Old 06-22-2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
$2.5M marketing budget....
Was NRA, GOA, or SAF approached about $$ or promotion?
Old 06-22-2013, 4:32 PM

Well, we just returned from the 1:15 show - Dos Lagos, Corona. Took our son with us. We talked with him about it on the way up there and what he might see and why. His comments after the movie? "It was bloodier than Battlefield 3"; "They didn't teach us about the Black part in school"; and the classic "It was boring". I cringed a little at the lynching and Holocaust pictures, but will follow up with discussions with him about that.

There were a total of 8 people in the theater, including us. One family had two kids that were about my son's age. As suggested in an earlier post, if parents have any doubts, they can see if first themselves. I'm glad we took him, but that's just us.

Overall, it was a good review of the 2nd amendment and gives me more incentive to keep up to date with current events.
Old 06-22-2013, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerkp View Post
Xenos- it really seemed to undermine the entire premise- "reasonable, expanded background checks" is a trojan horse just as much as any of the other "reasonable gun control laws". Who will determine what is reasonable? Whoever is in charge, that is who. It will include mental health, thus, Dr.'s and Politician's agendas can focus on whoever they want- 2a people could quickly become "paranoid, delusional (personal protection), etc." It is just as slippery as the examples cited in the movie itself- nfa tax, loaded open carry by reagan, etc.
I see your point but I am to ignorant to fully understand it I believe. I hate waiting ten days but I am not opposed to it. Because I do not wish mentally unhealthy people, or people who believe themselves to be mentally unhealthy to have guns. If someone is not of sound mind, they can and will snap. Either leading to hurting themselves or others. Now do I believe the government should be solely in charge of who is sane and who is insane... f*** no. I have spread enough stuff on the net to get deemed insane. I believe an objective CIVILIAN doctor who has been approached by an individual and is deemed mentally unhealthy should be the judge. Not the government.

Oh and the loaded open carry is another thing I was happy to see get shot down this year. Not because I hate representing my freedoms, but others were just abusing that power to stir trouble with cops in California. I do not like irresponsible gun owners tainting all gun owners names. Though I believe cali should have been made a shall issue state with the turn of that law.

But like I said before, I may be too ignorant to understand all this fully. I am a young male who just two years ago found out I was not right about everything. I just have my stupid opinions

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 06-22-2013, 6:56 PM

Xenos i hope you dont feel as if i was being condescending, just merely stating the point that even the "mentally ill" have inaliable rights. You dont want doctors and government policies dictating that....give you an example- with our last child the obgyn asked out of nowhere if we had firearms in the home.....that isnt a relevant question a obgyn needs to ask unless they have an agenda.
Second point- loaded open carry was banned in the 60s. Unloaded open carry waz banned 2 years ago. I know what you mean about those guys looking for a fight, a chip on the shoulder doesnt help us.
I encourage you to continue your quest in constitutional understanding as a young man, im on that same learning path
Old 06-22-2013, 7:22 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220RR View Post
when is the dvd coming out? we need to send copies to the polititicians
At Rancho we had a local representative actually come and watch the movie with us and speak his support of the 2nd Amendment. Assemblymember Mike Morrell came out and showed much support for our cause.

While we have a tough fight in CA, there are some who are on our side.
Old 06-22-2013, 7:26 PM

He and donnelly are great, like on facebook to see what they vote on. Word of warning, it can depress you to see the items and landslide outcomes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Overall, it was very good.

The people I saw it with thought that the "God and guns" song at the beginning would turn off a lot of people that weren't already pro-2A.

There was no need for Ted Nugent to be included - he may be a great musician, but he tends to be a bit polarizing, and say things that turn people off.

There really should have been a bit of background/explanation of what the 4th, 5th, 10th, and 14th Amendments are, since many people are only really aware of the 1st Amendment.

When comparing the full auto M-16 to the semi-auto AR-15, it would have been nice if the demonstrator hadn't rapid fired the AR - it would be nice to make it clear to the viewer that each shot was requiring a separate trigger squeeze (and shown it as such).

When explaining politically loaded terms like "Assault Rifle" and "Assault Weapon", the classic "Saturday Night Special" should probably have been mentioned.

The AWB of 1994, and it's repeal - with the FBI/ATF data that showed that it did nothing to prevent crime - should have been mentioned.

The "F Bomb" at the end could easily have been bleeped - it would still have been as funny, and everyone would have known what he said. It would also have kept the film appropriate for schools.

It would have been nice to have a list of "We contacted the offices of Senator Feinstein, Senator Schumer, etc., but they declined to be interviewed for the documentary". It is a simple technique that allows the documentary to seem much more impartial.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.

Last edited by retiredAFcop; 06-23-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerkp View Post
Xenos i hope you dont feel as if i was being condescending, just merely stating the point that even the "mentally ill" have inaliable rights. You dont want doctors and government policies dictating that....give you an example- with our last child the obgyn asked out of nowhere if we had firearms in the home.....that isnt a relevant question a obgyn needs to ask unless they have an agenda.
Second point- loaded open carry was banned in the 60s. Unloaded open carry waz banned 2 years ago. I know what you mean about those guys looking for a fight, a chip on the shoulder doesnt help us.
I encourage you to continue your quest in constitutional understanding as a young man, im on that same learning path
Do not worry I only take offense when people get rude. But that is a weird and totally unnecessary question for an OBGYN worker to ask. I understand our constitution and feel that we should act against our government in some way to get our natural rights back. But until people stop trying to pick fights that give others a bad name I am standing with no open carry of any kind. I also think that we are thinking of the "mentally ill" in different ways.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 06-23-2013, 6:17 AM

We saw the 5:00 PM show at Orange yesterday. Perhaps it was the early time, but there were only 4 others in the audience.

We enjoyed the movie. As someone who pays attention to this subject I'd say the movie didn't really break any new ground. If you could convince a 2A fence sitter to sit down and watch the movie it might change some minds. I don't think a dedicated anti-2A person would be swayed by the movie even in the unlikely event they sat through the entire movie.

I liked Ice-T's narration style. One of the reviews I read before seeing the movie complained about Ice-T (Wash Post I think). I think that comment was way off base.

All in all a great effort. Too bad it won't be seen by more people.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 06-23-2013, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

when does the DVD come out?
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 06-23-2013, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm in San Diego. Where can I see the film? Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Assaulted was meh; it didn't flow well, it didn't deep dive on any subjects, and was generally kind of boring.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
Assaulted was meh; it didn't flow well, it didn't deep dive on any subjects, and was generally kind of boring.
There were a few moments where my brain, also, wanted to lapse into the state it was in during high school history class but it was yanked back to attention because of the rest of the content. I felt it flowed very well, however. And as far as diving deep on any subjects, well then you reach the black hole of the general public mind where there is nothing there. So, I think the film accomplished its objective. Perfect no. But effective and delivered more than what I would have expected of the budget. Now they need to make another one.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:45 AM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I have to agree with you on this point about CA.
I felt the film has a hole somewhere where the CA was left out. I think that NY and CA should have been mentioned a bit more, especially CA because of all of the hollyweird actors here. How they all talk smack and then turn around and enjoy using guns themselves. They take stands against guns and then take parts in tv and movies where they use guns illegally too. Yeah okay, but then the politicians here are just as dumb and turn around and write laws just for the sake of shotgunning them to the walls. At the end, I heard the happy music starting, like, you just died and are on your way to heaven music and I was like, damn I think this is nearing the end of the movie. All in all, my attention was mostly captured by a documentary which speaks volumes because I HATE documentaries. Just not enough action and violence/ special effects in them...

I give the movie an 87 out of 100 or an 8.5 out of 10.
8.5 out of 10... that's about right.
The times I talked to Kris about the project when it was in progress, it sounded like a real expose on the CA gun rights battle. That may have been how it started, but it ended up nothing like that at all, and for that I was very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Old 06-24-2013, 8:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

I would have liked to see more abuse by the government, and more armed citizen videos. They mentioned the 2A many times, but no ideas on how to fight to protect it.
Old 06-24-2013, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post
They mentioned the 2A many times, but no ideas on how to fight to protect it.
I disagree. The documentary showed quite a bit about how to fight government excesses - it featured members/leaders of civil rights groups who are taking on government overreach, as well as lawyers and legal scholars about the same issue. Just bringing the issue up and showing people what has happened in Athens, TN, during the Civil Rights movement, during the Rodney King Riots, and in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina should open some people's eyes.

If you want to watch a documentary about Americans engaging in armed conflict against the government in defense of their 2A rights, I recommend "Waco: The Rules of Engagement", but I will warn you that it does not have a happy ending.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 06-24-2013, 1:01 PM
In Memoriam

The history of 2A and its current situation is tough to encapsulate into a 90 minute film - in fact it's impossible. Considering that truth "Assaulted" did an admirable job. It had several "chapters", 2A origins, semi vs. auto, civil rights (Blk. Panthers), tyranny (Athens), etc. Pretty much each chapter could easily be expanded into a full 90 minute doc by itself, so squeezing them all into one film wasn't easy, and no one is going to walk away satisfied that their personal beliefs were fully covered.

If there's one aspect I'd have liked to see handled differently it would have been the opposing viewpoint - there could have been more of it. I'm not afraid of opposing arguments because they are weak and easily defeated. Presenting more antis might help persuade the fence sitters that the film is fair, and in fairness our arguments win out.

I'd also have used more graphics. Properly presented graphics are very compelling and memorable. They also would have provided a little breathing room.

But all in all it was great film for the truth - well done!
Old 06-24-2013, 6:27 PM
In Memoriam

BTW - At the après screening dinner I spoke with one of the film's producers and his wife (we were at the high tables by the window) if that's you please PM me.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:10 PM

Please post your reviews on www.rottentomatoes.com - search for Assaulted. It really important to our next theater release that we're rated.

Thanks
Kris
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM

Couldn't find where it was appropriate to ask, but when are the dvds going out? First round kickstarter contributor here.
Old 06-25-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill View Post
Couldn't find where it was appropriate to ask, but when are the dvds going out? First round kickstarter contributor here.
Check the kick starter updates - but there is a 90 day delay after theatre release before they can ship a DVD or release for video on demand.
Old 06-25-2013, 6:41 PM
First Rule of Gunfighting
CGN Contributor

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/06/2...ly+Newsletters

Great job getting the word out.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Posted a review on Rottentomatoes.com after the premiere. I encourage more to do the same.

Help the Calguns Foundation with every Amazon.com purchase. Click on this LINK before putting items in the shopping cart to earmark up to 25% to the foundation. TIP: Replace your browser's Amazon bookmark with http://Shop42A.com.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Assaulted Film: Kansas City screening, 9 more tickets needed!

Only 9 more tickets needs to confirm the Kansas City, MO event on 7/11.
Spread the word in Kansas City and point them to this link to buy their tickets:

http://www.tugg.com/events/4561
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Assaulted Film: Evansville, IN - 18 tickets left

Similar situation in Evansville, IN
Assaulted needs 18 tickets to sell in the next 24 hours for the event to be confirmed. Tell all your pals in Evansville to get tickets here:
http://www.tugg.com/events/4629
Old 07-03-2013, 7:21 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
8.5 out of 10... that's about right.
The times I talked to Kris about the project when it was in progress, it sounded like a real expose on the CA gun rights battle. That may have been how it started, but it ended up nothing like that at all, and for that I was very disappointed.
Keep in mind that the gun rights issues during production were very dynamic. If you start out with a plan for documenting CA issues, and then something like Sandy Hook happens in the middle of production, it is going to change the focus.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 07-03-2013, 7:38 PM

A dynamic environment it was, but if I have one criticism it's that removing the CA focus also removed much of the sense that civil rights really are under fire. Given that federal gun control is dead for the time being, the viewer gets a good history lesson but isn't really shown how the full on anti-civil rights assault will be coming to a state near them soon.
Old 07-05-2013, 7:42 AM

Default Assaulted Film: Kansas City screening, 6 more tickets needed!

Just six tickets needed for the Assaulted KC, MO screening to take place. Today is the deadline, so make sure to spread the word today:

http://www.tugg.com/events/4561
Old 07-05-2013, 5:33 PM

Took care of that!
Old 07-05-2013, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awesome! Enjoy the screening, folks!

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-09-2013, 6:20 PM

Default Movie

I saw the movie in San Diego a few weeks or more ago. I really enjoyed it. It made me very mad that our constitutional rights are being attacked like they are. Hopefully our politicians take note and stand up for us. I know mine in California sure as hell won't. Very good film and very informative! Well done people who worked on it!
Old 08-04-2013, 2:25 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

What is being done to get this movie into sundance?

Also was there a speech at every movie? I went to a few also talked with people who went to others and only one place had a speech, personal views and opinions. Was there suppose to be more of the "introductions" to the movies or none at all or up to the people who helped get it into the theater?

I REGRET THAT THERE ARE ONLY 24 HOURS IN A DAY WITH WHICH TO WATCH MY LITTLE PONY.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Calguns is my Facebook!
CGN Contributor

I donated to Kickstarter... just one question.. When do I expect my DVD to show up in the mail??

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 08-19-2013, 2:34 PM

This movie should have never been in theaters and should have aired on CCN MSNBC or the National Geographic Chanel. It should have done that and we would have captured the attention of more people and not wasted the move on movie theaters where no one was going to go watch them.
Old 08-20-2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegtalon View Post
I donated to Kickstarter... just one question.. When do I expect my DVD to show up in the mail??
Project Update #36: T-Minus 60 Days
Posted by Kris Koenig on Jul 30, 2013

Yep, that's all we have to wait until the BluRay, DVD and Download of Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire will be available. On October 1st, the film will also be available on VOD (Video On Demand) platforms like cable, Amazon and iTunes.

Help the Calguns Foundation with every Amazon.com purchase. Click on this LINK before putting items in the shopping cart to earmark up to 25% to the foundation. TIP: Replace your browser's Amazon bookmark with http://Shop42A.com.