Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Default I had my "perfect knife" made a while ago...

...and I will say that it can be a lengthy & expensive endeavor...but it's totally worth it! Having a one-of-a-kind knife is a great feeling, especially if you get to put it to use doing something you enjoy; like hunting, hiking, or camping. It's much like owning a custom pistol or rifle.

In 2004, I had Dale Sandberg of Eight Dollar Mountain Foundry make me this knife. My buddies and I call it "The Beast"...

The blade is made from a material that Dale calls "SAE 8670 Modified." It holds an edge pretty well and it's relatively easy to sharpen. The handle is cast aluminum. The blade's tang goes all the way to the skull crusher. After years of use, I had the knife Cerakote finished. I also wrapped the handle in leather to give me a better hold. This is the most solid knife I have ever owned, and I'll never part with it.

I wish you the best of luck with your knife design, Chief. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Wow...great ideas! Just need to to assimilate them

That was a great sketch up FMJBT! I have spent minutes at a time just staring at it. Reminds me a lot of the Zero Tolerance 0100 and 0301, and the TOPS Anaconda 7b.

How did you do the sketch? Initial draft in pencil, final in pen and then erase the pencil marks?

Using the sketch as a base I am thinking...
  • Reduce the swage to an inch so as to give a flat full width edge for batoning
  • Flatten out the bottom of blade closest to the choil to ease sharpening. This may cause a widening of the blade but wont know till I play with the sketches
  • Reduce the material between the choil and the handle to lesson snag issues. Also, since your are only using the choil when choking up on the blade for fine work, I am thinking the pressure is more towards the center of the blade rather than rearward.
Thanks Yeah, I just did the rough sketch in light pencil, then went over it with a ball point pen and then erased the pencil afterwards. That's why there are some smudge marks in the ink (Damn govmt. pens even use ink from the lowest bidder....)

Reducing the sharpened swage on the spine is definitely a good idea if you intend to baton the blade at all. I'd think about doing away with it altogether though if the blade is going to be used for prepping a lot of wood. Keep in mind that when batoning larger pieces of wood, you might only see an inch or two of blade sticking out of the wood to baton against, so a double edge near the tip of the blade can work against that. Not only will it chew up the wood you are using to baton with, but it can reduce the strength of the blade to the point where it may get damaged or broken.

The recurve section of the blade definitely won't like a standard wetstone. I didn't really think about that when I drew it up as I tend to use a Lansky for sharpening everything, which uses a pretty narrow stone. I suppose in an extended SHTF scenario, you never know what you might have to use to put an edge back on a knife, so a recurve blade may not be the best idea.

Pretty much every knife I design ends up with a little bit of "Fighter" thrown in, even if I dont intend it. I could draw a meat cleaver, and it would likely have some sort of cross gaurd or spiked pommel on it, LOL. The material between the choil and handle is some of the unintentional "Fighter" that found it's way in there, and in that application would intentionally be there just to cause snag issues with other blades. Even though knife fighting is something I would never, ever ever want to engage in, most of my knife designs seem bent towards that function to some degree.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Victornox Trekker is a very useful field tool.
Old 07-05-2013, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Old 07-06-2013, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey 1911ShooterPhil,

Nice looking knife you've got there. How's the balance? That looks like 7 1/2" -ish blade. Clip point is sharp? I love Bowies and bowie type knives.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 AM

Talking Worth every penny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPBrowningMK3 View Post
Hey 1911ShooterPhil,

Nice looking knife you've got there. How's the balance? That looks like 7 1/2" -ish blade. Clip point is sharp? I love Bowies and bowie type knives.
Thanks, HPBrowningMK3! It's a 10-1/2" (long) X 2-1/2" (wide) clip point style blade. The upper edge is sharpened. With the cast aluminum handle and skull crusher, the knife balances very well, actually. I am quite pleased with the knife. The Cerakote finish is starting to wear, but that happens with use. Eventually, I will get the knife refinished. I am also a fan of Bowie knives, which is why I had Dale make me this hefty blade. It was worth every penny, let me tell you. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 07-08-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

OP, have you seen these knives from Fox Knives?

Combat Jungle:

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Ex...Code=FOX133MGT

Trapper:

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Ex...Code=FOX132MGT
Old 07-08-2013, 2:55 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

STEEL!
D2, 3V, UHC, or just plain Carbon Steel?

Nothing really wrong with stainless steel. Just most makers do not put in the time to forge it correctly. Case in point - CASE Knives
Old 07-08-2013, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
STEEL!
D2, 3V, UHC, or just plain Carbon Steel?

Nothing really wrong with stainless steel. Just most makers do not put in the time to forge it correctly. Case in point - CASE GERBER Knives
FIFY
Old 07-08-2013, 6:36 PM

This blade doesn't meet all your specs, but it's design might inform your final instructions to whomever you choose to make your knife.

http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...products_id=26
Old 07-09-2013, 4:18 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Convert a production knife to a custom.
http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/skinner.htm