Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-09-2013, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I added sand to my coop area. I did read that this makes cleanup easier and the poop dries much quicker than in hay or sawdust and will last longer.
Old 04-09-2013, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
I agree with your assessment.

These work quit well.
You see a 5 gal jug but I now use a 5 gal bucket which is easier to get my hand inside and scrub it out when the algea gets bad.

Very cool I will look into that. How did you secure the nipples to it. I have thought of using them. what I have noewas little cost so no biggie in changing. Where did you get the nipples from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Ok. You should know how to play. I say I see something that begins with a letter.
You find out what it is.
I spy with my little eye something that begins with a "C".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post
Chlamydia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
The silhouette of an AR-15 is as appealing to the general public as a dildo.
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-09-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Very cool I will look into that. How did you secure the nipples to it. I have thought of using them. what I have noewas little cost so no biggie in changing. Where did you get the nipples from?

Got my stuff here: Farmtek

here are the watering nipples.
The ones I have are screw in type but I cannot find them now on this site.
You drill a proper size hole then screw in the nipple.
The chickens simply peck at it and the water runs down the steel portion into their pecker.

Keep in mind that I did switch to a 5 gal bucket with a lid for ease of cleaning it. I also have a piece of tubing going from the bucket lid to the outside of the fenced yard so I can insert a hose to fill it.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 04-10-2013, 2:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Got my stuff here: Farmtek

here are the watering nipples.
The ones I have are screw in type but I cannot find them now on this site.
You drill a proper size hole then screw in the nipple.
The chickens simply peck at it and the water runs down the steel portion into their pecker.

Keep in mind that I did switch to a 5 gal bucket with a lid for ease of cleaning it. I also have a piece of tubing going from the bucket lid to the outside of the fenced yard so I can insert a hose to fill it.
Very cool thanks. I will order some before I come home and they'll be there when I get back.

Quote:
Ok. You should know how to play. I say I see something that begins with a letter.
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-11-2013, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I can not wait to finally be able to own a home to have even a 1/4 badass chicken coop...
Old 04-11-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
I finally got my chickens and I'm so happy I can hardly stand myself.

The coop has been a work in progress for over a year now. I started it in early summer 2011 and got about 25% done before other problems & projects put a halt to it.
Finally this summer I had time to work on it again and finish it up.

The house has 36 square feet of floor space including the nesting boxes and it's tall enough for a human to stand up in.
The fully enclosed run covers about 500 square feet.
Hopefully it's predator proof. I spent a LOT of hours digging a trench around the perimeter and burying fence wire so the varmints can't dig under.
Here's the chicken palace...

Today I went to see the local Chicken Vendor and I got 8 hens.
3ea Ameraucana, 3ea Plymouth Barred Rock, and 2ea Rhode Island Red.
I wanted a couple of Black Australorps also but chicken dude didn't have any this week. Probably next week I'll go pick up a couple of those to make an even 10 hens.

The ladies have been getting used to their new home for a few hours now.

YIPPEEEEE!!!! FINALLY GOT CHICKENS!!!!

I'm so effin' happy.
Beautiful job with the coop and run! We just started a backyard operation with 3 hens.
Old 04-11-2013, 9:00 AM

Nice work! Sadly, chickens are still illegal in my city... ;(
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraviwannabe View Post
Beautiful job with the coop and run! We just started a backyard operation with 3 hens.

"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 04-28-2013, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We collected our 500th egg today.
Ours hens laid their first 2 eggs on Feb 1st and today we got our 500th egg.

That's over 57 pounds of eggs from 7 hens in 89 days!
Old 04-28-2013, 8:20 PM

Thats awesome!

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Old 04-29-2013, 1:58 PM

Default Feeder

Wow, I'm slow.
Still working on my new coop, good thing I don't make a living as a contractor.

So, I came up with this design for a feeder by "borrowing" it from pictures I found from a "chicken feeder" search.

It's very simple.
One 3 foot piece of 4" ABS plastic pipe.
One 4" ABS cap.
One appropriately sized piece of tupperware.

I made one semi circle cut in the ABS so the feed will flow, then attached the whole thing to the side of the coop.
The end comes out of the top of the coop so there is no need to open the coop to feed the girls, and it has worked very well in the old coop.

I'm terrible at explaining this stuff, here are the pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
Frederic Bastiat
Old 04-29-2013, 3:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I bought my chickens today 3 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Barred Rock "Plymouth Rock" as I like to call them.

I used an 8" heater duct tube for the feeder and an old lid lying around the house for the food to sit in. I have 25lbs of food in it for now i think i can put 40lbs in it maybe 50lbs.

Quote:
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 04-29-2013 at 4:31 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 9:08 AM

Nice.
Same idea, different application.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
Frederic Bastiat
Old 05-11-2013, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I spent $1.19 for a pound of "Dundale Peas" and planted them around part of the perimeter of the chicken run last month.
They are starting to get tall enough that the ladies can reach through the fence and munch on some fresh greenery. Is cheap & easy entertainment.

Old 06-17-2013, 3:07 PM

So I am curious as why almost all coop designs have an open run then an enclosed house type structure. I know the run is to allow exercise etc. but why the need for the closed house type structure. It is to provide warmth and protection? What would be the negative for a closed coop without a house? Basically the exterior would be fenced in but the rest would be open.
Old 06-17-2013, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
So I am curious as why almost all coop designs have an open run then an enclosed house type structure. I know the run is to allow exercise etc. but why the need for the closed house type structure. It is to provide warmth and protection? What would be the negative for a closed coop without a house? Basically the exterior would be fenced in but the rest would be open.
Do you like to sleep outside in the rain & wind?
When it's 25 degrees and hailing?

Chickens need protection from the elements too you know!

Ooops, forgot... SoCal... y'all don't have "elements" there.
Old 06-17-2013, 5:38 PM

That's why I posted this. Because in SoCal we don't get hail or snow. If we are lucky we might get rain every once in a while
Old 06-17-2013, 5:39 PM

Where can I buy some small hens? In hollywood or around area?
Old 06-17-2013, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's why I posted this. Because in SoCal we don't get hail or snow. If we are lucky we might get rain every once in a while
Well, remember that chickens aren't "wild" birds. That's been pretty well bred out of them and they aren't nearly as cold hardy or durable as wild birds. They don't do well getting wet and they need a place that's dry and draft free to roost.
They also seem to like a place that's enclosed and feels protected when they roost. Since they are caged they can't go wandering about to find a suitable place of their own choosing so it's up to you to provide some shelter.

They don't need a fancy "house", but they need a place that's enclosed enough to keep the wind out and has a roof to keep the occasional rain off of them and for them to feel secure at night.
Almost any kind of "Tijuana style shack" that gives the birds a dry and out of the wind place to roost should do in mild climate but I think a lot of folks build a fancy house because they also have to look at the thing sitting there in the backyard.
Old 06-17-2013, 7:34 PM

Default Tijuana style shack

Quote:
Well, remember that chickens aren't "wild" birds. That's been pretty well bred out of them and they aren't nearly as cold hardy or durable as wild birds. They don't do well getting wet and they need a place that's dry and draft free to roost.
They also seem to like a place that's enclosed and feels protected when they roost. Since they are caged they can't go wandering about to find ga suitable place of their own choosing so it's up to you to provide some shelter.

They don't need a fancy "house", but they need a place that's enclosed enough to keep the wind out and has a roof to keep the occasional rain off of them and for them to feel secure at night.
Almost any kind of "Tijuana style shack" that gives the birds a dry and out of the wind place to roost should do in mild climate but I think a lot of folks build a fancy house because they also have to look at the thing sitting there in the backyard.
good thing I was sitting when I read your reply.

Does the shack need to be raised off the ground or does it matter?
Old 06-17-2013, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does the shack need to be raised off the ground or does it matter?
No, doesn't need to be off the ground really.

But it should be in a spot that has good drainage and water won't pool.

Off the ground may also make it easier to do maintenance.
Chickens poop a LOT. They poop a LOT when they sleep and when they are on the roost. There will be a LOT of poop under their roost area. Someone (you, unless you have kids or hired help) will need to clean up a LOT of poop fairly regularly.
My coop has trap doors in the floor so that all that poop can be raked into a bucket underneath the floor for easy disposal. Good coop design not only makes a cozy place for the chickens but also make it easier for the humans to keep clean with minimal hassle.

A coop with a dirt floor is fine for the chickens as long as it's easy enough for the humans to keep clean. Cuz someone has to clean that mess... and the easier it is the better.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:

^^^ this ^^^
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 06-17-2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
No, doesn't need to be off the ground really.

But it should be in a spot that has good drainage and water won't pool.

Off the ground may also make it easier to do maintenance.
Chickens poop a LOT. They poop a LOT when they sleep and when they are on the roost. There will be a LOT of poop under their roost area. Someone (you, unless you have kids or hired help) will need to clean up a LOT of poop fairly regularly.
My coop has trap doors in the floor so that all that poop can be raked into a bucket underneath the floor for easy disposal. Good coop design not only makes a cozy place for the chickens but also make it easier for the humans to keep clean with minimal hassle.

A coop with a dirt floor is fine for the chickens as long as it's easy enough for the humans to keep clean. Cuz someone has to clean that mess... and the easier it is the better.

Yes they do poop a lot under their roost area.
This is why I have the area below the roost fenced off so they cannot get to it with a door on the back wall so I can go in and scoop it out.
I only need to scoop it out once every 3 months or so then I dump it into the compost to make fertilizer.
Easy peasy.
Look closely and you will see the fence under the roost area.

Mine also has a dirt floor as you can see in the pic.
Very little maintanence since most of the poop is under the roost area and the chickens cannot get to it to make a mess.
The biggest mess I get is when they loose their fethers periodically.
The dirt floor also serves another purpose, they will take dirt baths by digging holes and laying in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 06-17-2013, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I added this earlier this month to my coup. my chickens aren't old enough for eggs yet. my barred rock isn't chirping anymore she is sounding like a chicken now.

my lab loves barking at the chickens. what can I say he's my hunting buddy.

Quote:
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-18-2013, 8:31 AM

Hmmm, being raised with a dirt floor seems like a lot of weight. Although I know very little about chickens (hint all the question) I am knowledgeable with construction. I was thinking of putting down linoleum or similar material for the floor with mesh drains on either end so I can take a hose if needs be and clean-up. I do like the idea of a trap door under the roost as-well. When sealing/paint the coop do I need to use any special products or can I use any exterior paint/wood sealer type products? Just don’t want to get the birds in there only to have them hang upside down due to being high. Thanks again for all the useful comments and suggestions. Will do my best to put photos up as I get things going.

Last edited by sdnative13; 06-18-2013 at 8:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, being raised with a dirt floor seems like a lot of weight. Although I know very little about chickens (hint all the question) I am knowledgeable with construction. I was thinking of putting down linoleum or similar material for the floor with mesh drains on either end so I can take a hose if needs be and clean-up. I do like the idea of a trap door under the roost as-well. When sealing/paint the coop do I need to use any special products or can I use any exterior paint/wood sealer type products? Just donít want to get the birds in there only to have them hang upside down due to being high. Thanks again for all the useful comments and suggestions. Will do my best to put photos up as I get things going.
The floor of our hen is plywood that was painted once about 20 years ago. Cover it in straw and clean it out when necessary. Ours gets cleaned out every fall and spread on the garden. I should note though that the waterer is outside so the straw stays pretty dry.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM

The dirt floor in mine is not raised, just a dirt floor (or no floor since the dirt is the ground inside the coup) so if you do not need to have the coup raised I recommend going with a dirt floor.
All I do is rake it out once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Old 06-18-2013, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

We use a raised floor covered in about 4" of construction sand, a method we read about on backyardchickens. Works great! We rake it like a kitty litter box and don't lose much of the sand at all when removing the poop. No smell, no wet poop or hay to deal with, and no mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default 106 lbs of eggs!

106 lbs of eggs!

Well, the hens have been laying eggs for 5 months now. They popped out the first eggs on Feb 1, and it is now June 30. (150 days)
In that time 7 hens have laid 875 eggs (72+ dozen) weighing a total of 106.47 lbs.! (yes, I have weighed every egg that they have laid and have entered them all in fancy spreadsheet that The Wife built for me.)

A 50 lb sack of "Layena pellets" ($17) lasts just over 1 month and nets us about 180 eggs for a cost of about 9.5 cents per egg. The hens also get some sunflower seeds, a little bit of scratch, and some oyster shell, which pushes the cost up to nearly 11 cents per egg. Assorted kitchen scraps are free.

Most of the eggs I give away to friends & good neighbors but I do sell enough for the hens to pay for their own feed and my family gets all the free eggs we can eat.

A typical days production. 5-6 eggs...

Fridge is filling up. Time to make a bunch of deviled eggs.

Store bought eggs suck. Fresh eggs rock & hens are awesome & I dunno how I ever lived without them.

I'm gonna be so bummed when winter gets here and they stop laying for a while.

I'm very happy to have hens. Hope y'all are too...
Old 07-01-2013, 7:55 AM

Quote:
106 lbs of eggs!

Well, the hens have been laying eggs for 5 months now. They popped out the first eggs on Feb 1, and it is now June 30. (150 days)
In that time 7 hens have laid 875 eggs (72+ dozen) weighing a total of 106.47 lbs.! (yes, I have weighed every egg that they have laid and have entered them all in fancy spreadsheet that The Wife built for me.)

A 50 lb sack of "Layena pellets" ($17) lasts just over 1 month and nets us about 180 eggs for a cost of about 9.5 cents per egg. The hens also get some sunflower seeds, a little bit of scratch, and some oyster shell, which pushes the cost up to nearly 11 cents per egg. Assorted kitchen scraps are free.

Most of the eggs I give away to friends & good neighbors but I do sell enough for the hens to pay for their own feed and my family gets all the free eggs we can eat.

A typical days production. 5-6 eggs...

Fridge is filling up. Time to make a bunch of deviled eggs.

Store bought eggs suck. Fresh eggs rock & hens are awesome & I dunno how I ever lived without them.

I'm gonna be so bummed when winter gets here and they stop laying for a while.

I'm very happy to have hens. Hope y'all are too...

Thats great your hens are so productive! Have you thought about stockpiling some eggs for winter? We regularly keep our home grown eggs in the fridge for months if they are laying more than we can eat.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Old 07-01-2013, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

no eggs for me yet.

Quote:
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-01-2013, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy View Post
Thats great your hens are so productive! Have you thought about stockpiling some eggs for winter? We regularly keep our home grown eggs in the fridge for months if they are laying more than we can eat.
So far I haven't kept any eggs for more than a month but when the hens start slowing down I will definitely try and stockpile a couple of months worth for "lean times".

What's the longest that you have kept & eaten eggs?
Old 07-01-2013, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
no eggs for me yet.
How old are your hens?
Old 07-01-2013, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How old are your hens?
they are very close to 20 weeks. they are starting to sound like chickens and not chirping anymore.

Quote:
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-01-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
So far I haven't kept any eggs for more than a month but when the hens start slowing down I will definitely try and stockpile a couple of months worth for "lean times".

What's the longest that you have kept & eaten eggs?
Honestly we dont even date them, just put them in our 2nd fridge and try to rotate left to right, I can say with certainty that we have gone several months, and that some grocery store eggs can be up to a year old when you buy them. If your in doubt about the eggs just crack them into a bowl or something other than what your cooking them in and check them out. Once they start getting old the yokes wont hold together as well but they are still plenty good to eat.

Also your hens probably wont completely stop laying, they will likely slack off to an egg a week in the dead of winter, and depending on breed you might get lucky and get several a week if the hen is really determined.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
they are very close to 20 weeks. they are starting to sound like chickens and not chirping anymore.
Heh... maybe you need to start a poll to guess when you'll get your first egg.
I'm gonna guess Thursday, July 11.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Honestly we dont even date them, just put them in our 2nd fridge and try to rotate left to right, I can say with certainty that we have gone several months, and that some grocery store eggs can be up to a year old when you buy them.

A YEAR old?
Good Lord. Yet another reason to not eat store bought eggs... as if the videos of life as a "battery hen" hadn't already disgusted me enough.
Old 07-02-2013, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Honestly we dont even date them, just put them in our 2nd fridge and try to rotate left to right, I can say with certainty that we have gone several months, and that some grocery store eggs can be up to a year old when you buy them. If your in doubt about the eggs just crack them into a bowl or something other than what your cooking them in and check them out. Once they start getting old the yokes wont hold together as well but they are still plenty good to eat.

Also your hens probably wont completely stop laying, they will likely slack off to an egg a week in the dead of winter, and depending on breed you might get lucky and get several a week if the hen is really determined.
I agree with the several months.

For commercial eggs, they are not a year old. USDA requires the eggs to be packed 7 days after being laid, and the sell by date is 30 days past the packing date.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 07-09-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife is a successful chicken surgeon. Here's her report and hopefully this doesn't happen to you, but if it does, I hope this helps.

Quote:
"A problem with one of our chickens. She has a huge swelling in her croup. Manipulating it (and cleaning her up she was a mess) I can feel large peices of *something and pockets of air. reading up on this problem it appears we have an impacted croup. options?

1) take $3 mixed breed chicken to vet for intervention, cost between $150-500. (not happening)

2) watch chicken slowly starve to death. (Um, no)

3) put chicken out of its misery.( only if I have to)

4) hold chicken upside down and massage croup to try to get the chicken to regurgitate. you read that right- make the chicken VOMIT. did I mention chicken don't like to vomit? and they just swallow it again as fast as they can bc they are fecking Velocochickens? (yes- we tried it. no it didn't work)

5) using sharp knife or shears, cut into croup and express contents out. isolate chicken withholding food and water for 24 hours , add otc antibiotic to water and offer- or give as injectible- and watch for improvement.

yeah, we ended up going to 5. apparently miss chicken found THE motherload of some large winged metallic green beetle like creatures and devoured them ALL. I lost count expressing them out along with various other rotting croup contents.

this was the most singularly freaking weird thing I have ever done for one of my animals. and pretty much the grossest."
The chicken is still confined, on day 3 since this happened and doing pretty well. She's even laying eggs.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 08-01-2013, 5:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have my first egg today. I have been watching one of my birds and she is very friendly and she squats when I touch her. and she also goes into the nest box and sits for a second then gets up.

I found this one outside in their run. I had suspected they would lay the first one outside.

Quote:
You find out what it is.
Quote:
Chlamydia?
Quote:
NRA Life Member.