Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-09-2012, 3:44 PM

Default Los Angeles Silhouette Club

A few years ago someone on another forum was trying to get me to go. but just didnt have the time. Now i was looking at there site again and im interested in it. Are there any members here. Can someone give me some more info.

here is their web pages.

http://www.lasc.us/

http://www.shootingsteel.com/

seems like they have two web sites.
Old 01-09-2012, 4:08 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

One of their founding members, IIRC, came into my shop and talked to me about it. Seemed like a VERY nice guy. He said just go there and talk to somebody and they'll help you out.

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 01-09-2012, 5:42 PM

thats good to know. From what i understand they have matches on saturdays. On 1 particular saturday a month you go to the match and at the end they have a big bbq for everyone that attends. It sounds pretty cool. I have a few guns that i just need to spend a little more time getting the sights dialed in perfectly then i plan on going. In particular i have a 1 .22lr that at angeles ranges i can sit there all day long and shoot the steel plate at 100 yards all day long. The only thing is that plate at 100 yards is pretty big so im not sure where i am hitting it but I can shoot it all day long without a miss. So i just need to see how good i can hit smaller steel targets. This is where i will need to start shooting paper at given yards to see where exactly it is hitting so i can get it zeroed in. However it sure looks like fun.
Old 01-09-2012, 5:42 PM

They're real friendly up there at LASC. They're happy to talk you ear off about silhouette shooting if you show up at one of their matches. They let you shoot your first three matches for free, and there's generally somebody there that will even let you shoot their own gun if you don't have something suitable.

As someone who's been doing this since 1976, it really is a lot of fun hearing that "clang" and seeing that silhouette fall!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 01-09-2012, 6:06 PM

ok then looks like the next time i get out there i am going to have to go check it out. Do you know how much it cost say for a membership there.
Old 01-10-2012, 6:38 PM

Default TYPED DIRECT FROM THEIR FLIER:

The Los Angeles Silhouette Club
12651 Little Tujunga Canyon Road, San Fernando, California 91342
2012 - Long Range Handgun &
Cowboy Lever Action Metallic Silhouette
No Membership or Affiliation Required
All Handgun Metallic Silhouette Matches at LASC are open to the public.
If your goal is to: Do things together as a family -- Become a Master class
shooter -- or just plain have fun -- YOU belong at silhouette event.
HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE IS EXCITING!
LON RANGE PISTOL SILHOUETTE * SMALL-BORE PISTOL SILHOUETTE
* HUNTER'S PISTOL * SMALL-BORE HUNTER'S PISTOL * AIR PISTOL
* AIR RIFLE * SMALL-BORE RIFLE * CAST BULLET RIFLE
* COWBOY LEVER ACTION RIFLE SILHOUETTE
Please visit LASC's official website: www.shootingsteel.com
for a personal contact and answers to your questions.
Photo of 50-100-150-200 Meters Silhouette Metal Targets
Photo of Ram Silhouettes
One Free Entry for 1st time shooters
Map to get to LASC
-------------------------------------------back side page 2-------------------------
LONG RANGE PISTOL SILHOUETTE:
Shows schedule: Jan 14-15 Feb11-12 March 10-11
Apr 14-15 May12-13 Jun 9-10
July14-15 Aug11-12 Sept1-2-3
Oct13-14 Nov10-11 Dec8-9
then there is contact Ph#s and Emails for President, VP, Sec/Tr, Mem@Large.

I'll be going on the 15th with the free coupon for 1st timers...
Carpool anyone from Orange County? Split Gas?
Old 01-10-2012, 6:47 PM

video Link of the range and some rules:

http://www.shootingsteel.com/First_Time_Shooters.html
Old 01-13-2012, 9:11 AM

FREE COUPON AND FREE DAY SHOOTING:

http://www.shootingsteel.com/Free_Coupon.html
Old 06-29-2012, 9:40 PM

This is a dead thread, but I had similar questions, and figured I'd see if any members were around these days.

If I'm reading their websites correctly, you are always welcome to shoot in a competition, but it seems much harder to get in to practice, or just to claim a bay and shoot by yourself. It also seems like most weekends are competition events.

Am I reading things right? Is it possible to get in for practice without being a member?

Use and share my free target for the Pistol Marksman test of the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.
Old 06-30-2012, 5:31 AM

Default LA Sihouette Club

Used to belong to the club in the late 1980's. Shot a 10.5 inch Super Blackhawk and won a few trophies. It was great fun.
Old 06-30-2012, 5:37 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

I thought you were talking about an exotic dance club...
Old 07-08-2012, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
This is a dead thread, but I had similar questions, and figured I'd see if any members were around these days.

If I'm reading their websites correctly, you are always welcome to shoot in a competition, but it seems much harder to get in to practice, or just to claim a bay and shoot by yourself. It also seems like most weekends are competition events.

Am I reading things right? Is it possible to get in for practice without being a member?
Not a member, but I do shoot there from time to time. You can certainly shoot during the weekend matches, and there's also several sets of practice "swingers" that you can shoot at prior to the matches. They're really kicked-back up there, I suspect they'd let you take shots at the swingers even during the matches, or during the down-time.

You can use the range during the week if you're a member. Perhaps members can bring a "guest" with them, but you'd have to ask around.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 07-04-2013, 9:16 AM

BIG BUMP!

Hi Folks,

The Los Angeles Silhouette Club is still in business and is A GREAT PLACE TO SHOOT!

The official calendar of events is here: http://www.shootingsteel.com/Calendar_2012.html (Yes, it's the 2013 calendar).

The unofficial webpage (getting confused yet?) is here: http://lasc.joelmosher.com

Unmaintained O-L-D webpage (don't go here unless you really want to be confused!): http://www.lasc.us/

The LASC range is associated with the Angeles Shooting Ranges (http://www.angelesranges.com/), and is just up the road from the public range.

LASC is a private silhouette shooting club, but members are always happy to greet prospective members, and it is easy to join. We have a LARGE 200 yard private range, and regular organized matches. Anyone is welcome to attend matches, and you can shoot in matches as a prospective member. In fact, anyone may come to a match and shoot - A club member will explain the match rules and procedures, and even loan you a gun and ammo if you don't have anything appropriate.

Prospective members who attend range cleanup days (required as a prerequisite for annual membership) can shoot on the range after cleanup (A club member must be present).

Shooting silhouettes is a great way to improve your accuracy, and LASC has members who are championship shooters who are REALLY HAPPY to help you improve your shooting skills.

Members can bring guests during the week or on weekends when no match is scheduled.

If this sounds like an exciting opportunity to get away from crowded public ranges, come to a match and check us out!

Please forgive the club for being a little disorganized with the website(s).

Last edited by pokute; 07-07-2013 at 8:49 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 PM

Are 223 semi autos allowed or is it just 22lr and pistols? I can't tell what calibers are allowed from the website. Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxl View Post
Are 223 semi autos allowed or is it just 22lr and pistols? I can't tell what calibers are allowed from the website. Thanks
Factory FMJ rounds fired from a rifle will damage the targets, so they are not allowed. Factory 223 rounds can be fired from a Thompson Contender pistol. Any *lead* bullet from any pistol or rifle is allowed (I've seen 45-90 on the range - That's a 400 grain bullet moving 1300 ft/s).