Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-05-2013, 3:55 PM

Default Eotech 512 Riser height ????

Hey guys, just got my new 512 for my only AR. My bushy AR has risers that came with it at the height of 1 1/4". is this too high? not sure exactly what im looking for. Some guidance would help. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2013, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ditch the risers, not needed for the eotech
Old 07-05-2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Ditch the risers, not needed for the eotech
Unless you want a lower third cowitness instead of an absolute cowitness.

Traveling 2A-friendly Notary Public serving OC and parts of LA counties. Please PM for more information.
Old 07-05-2013, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

^ in which case you only want less than 1/3rd inch
Old 07-05-2013, 4:41 PM
CGN Contributor

How about a picture of your BUSHY...SERIOUSLY.

Not really making sense.

The Eotech should mount on flush on your upper rail if you have one. Not on a riser block.

The Eotech magnifier comes with a 7 mm riser block so it can be used with various Eotech sights.

That's the only riser block I'm aware of. Unless you want one of these for a lower 1/3 cowitness. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaRue-Tactic...item4ac66c8c86

Does your rifle look like this?

Last edited by HOGLEG; 07-05-2013 at 5:03 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 4:54 PM

If you use the Exps series with the magnifier you will need to use the riser.
Old 07-05-2013, 4:55 PM

This is the only riser I'm aware of for the EOTech.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-366-yanke...ech-riser.aspx
Old 07-05-2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
How about a picture of your BUSHY...SERIOUSLY.

Not really making sense.

The Eotech should mount on flush on your upper rail if you have one. Not on a riser block.

The Eotech magnifier comes with a 7 mm riser block so it can be used with various Eotech sights.

That's the only riser block I'm aware of. Unless you want one of these for a lower 1/3 cowitness. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaRue-Tactic...item4ac66c8c86

Does your rifle look like this?

HOGLEG, Yeah, it looks just like yours. Its on the flat top Rail. But i feel that its not high enough for me. Just thought that maybe it needed to be on a riser or something. Am I mistaken? should i leave it just like yours?
Old 07-05-2013, 5:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Most guys will run them just a pictured. Mounted like this, the sights will hold an absolute co witness. Meaning the front sight and rear sight will line up with the aiming dot. If you have folding sights, this is the way I prefer to run my AR.

Some guys will add a riser block to get a lower 1/3 co witness. This raises the Eotech so that your sights will line up through the scope in the lower 1/3 of the sight picture. This is helpful if you have a permanent front sight.

I personally would try to run it as pictured. See if you can get a good repeatable cheek weld.

The cool thing about the Eotech is that a perfect cheek weld is not needed. Being Holographic actually keeps the dot on target even if your cheek weld is off a bit.

If you feel that a riser will make you more comfortable and help you shoot better, by all means go with a riser. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if it's like opening a can of worms.
Old 07-05-2013, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Unless you know you want a "lower third" co-witness, don't use a riser. It sounds like you are holding the rifle improperly if the EOTech isn't very close to your eye line when you shoulder it. It's okay to let a bit of the top edge of the stock off the top of your shoulder to the eyeline correct. The entire stock doesn't doesn't need to be flush with your shoulder.

Some people move the rifle inwards and up to where the stock more on the chest than in the shoulder to get the sights directly in their eye line without tilting their head. That option also has the benefit of reducing flip by equalizing lateral pressure from each hand and reducing rise by (ideally) having the entire stock against the chest.

Find out what works for you but experiment with stance before you add a riser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 07-05-2013, 6:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Hey BIZ, check out this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj3NY2jwDEo

I was looking for a way to show you what co witness actually meant instead of trying to explain it. Low and behold this guy is talking about being more comfortable with a lower 1/3 co witness using a 7mm riser block from Larue or the newer Eotechs that have been designed to ride 7mm (about 1/3 of an inch) higher that the one you now have.

Maybe this will help.

Like Chead said, it's probably the way you are shouldering the weapon. You can save a chunk of change if you can get comfortable as it sits.
Old 07-05-2013, 6:34 PM
CGN Contributor

The EXPS series of Eotechs feature a 7 mm higher sight picture over the bore than the earlier Eotech models. SO the result is a lower 1/3 co witness out of the box and a sight picture that sits about 1/3 of an inch higher than the older 512 which has an absolute cowitness..

Just throwing that out there. I no longer own any 512's. I now have the XPS or EXPS models.

The only thing I use cowitness for is to check to see if the sights or Eotech have not moved out of calibration. Once checked I flip my sights down and bang away.

Last edited by HOGLEG; 07-05-2013 at 7:37 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
The XPS series of Eotechs feature a 7 mm higher sight picture over the bore than the earlier Eotech models. SO the result is a lower 1/3 co witness out of the box and a sight picture that sits about 1/3 of an inch higher than the older 512 which has an absolute cowitness..

Just throwing that out there. I no longer own any 512's. I now have the XPS or EXPS models.

The only thing I use cowitness for is to check to see if the sights or Eotech have not moved out of calibration. Once checked I flip my sights down and bang away.
Only the EXPS models sit 7mm higher for a lower 1/3 cowitness sight picture. The EXPS achieves this by having a 7mm quick release mount.

The XPS models sit lower with a regular screw mount for an absolute cowitness sight picture.
Old 07-05-2013, 7:38 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Only the EXPS models sit 7mm higher for a lower 1/3 cowitness sight picture. The EXPS achieves this by having a 7mm quick release mount.

The XPS models sit lower with a regular screw mount for an absolute cowitness sight picture.
Thanks for the correction. Just edited my post to reflect the correction.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Hey guys, thanks. I checked out the YouTube vid and looked over your recommendations. I will let it sit where it stands and practice on getting a good cheek weld. Just felt funny at first since it is my first red dot. I'll make sure to practice.