Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

View Poll Results: Will you Leave Calfornia after Retirement due to the Increase of the Anti-Gun Laws
) Yes, Because the Legislators seem to forget to protect Retired Law Enforcement Officers. 7 14.58%
No, Just Because. 5 10.42%
Yes, Because the CA. continues to make it easier for the criminal element. 33 68.75%
No, Because It's Cheaper than a Divorce,(I'll just buy another Off-Roster Toy). 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2013, 8:57 PM

Default retired

Going to Prescott next week for my look around. 2 of my already retired PD buds already there. One on the SD there.
They say Prescott valley is cheaper to live but gets hotter than Prescott. More ranch types in the valley.
In the closer in Prescott hi higher elevation is cooler and more pine tree s.

My 2 #
Old 06-10-2013, 9:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner336 View Post
Going to Prescott next week for my look around. 2 of my already retired PD buds already there. One on the SD there.
They say Prescott valley is cheaper to live but gets hotter than Prescott. More ranch types in the valley.
In the closer in Prescott hi higher elevation is cooler and more pine tree s.

My 2 #
What we generally found was the taller the pine trees the hiher the price!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 06-10-2013, 9:51 AM

I will definately go at retirement. I don't care about what protections are afforded to me at retirement, I want common sense protections for all law abiding citizens regardless of LEO status. Also, my pension will go a lot further in another state. I like the idea of Hawaii but the gun laws there aren't graet now and will probably be worse in 10 years. More likely head to New Hampshire or Vermont.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm leaving, but gun laws are only the tip of the iceberg. High taxes, high cost of living, stupid nanny-state mentality. Unless there is a SERIOUS turnaround in state polices in the next 8 years, I have no intention of staying to financially support a system I do not wish to be a part of. Being able to shoot something more powerful than a super soaker (which will probably be illegal by that time) is just an added bonus.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 06-10-2013, 6:09 PM

Without hesitation, I'll be leaving this state. Taxes are a major part but the politics and laws do make it an easier decision.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:15 PM
Banned

Im leaving because of the idiotically high tax rates and all the morons who keep voting to increase them
Old 06-10-2013, 9:34 PM

I left due to the extremely high real estate prices and taxes.

The hand-out mentality vs. cultivating a productive Citizenry and the fact that Criminals have more access to firearms than law abiding Citizens.

The fact that the State College System now rewards illegal aliens with "free rides" while turning back State born, life long tax paying residents.

The Medical Marijuana fiasco also didn't help, as this was another indication that the people in power want to cultivate a non-productive Sub-Culture in the State.

I could go on........
Old 06-10-2013, 9:35 PM

I plan to move when I retire for several reasons. Cost of living, living space, ect. Or maybe once I reach retirement we may just stay put. Who knows. I'd like to get around and see other places.
Old 06-11-2013, 3:27 AM
Banned

If I wasn't vested I'd be gone!
Old 06-12-2013, 9:58 AM

ALPHA-MIKE-FOXTROT...(for ALL of the reasons listed above)

If I can do it sooner, I most certainly will.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM

Taxes, taxes, taxes, and more high taxes. The working middle class constantly getting hammer on while illegals, lazy bums, and everyone else get the free ride.

Physically still here in California. Mentally, been gone long ago.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

Leaving. I like the WA/OR weather, but my wife doesn't, and they are getting increasingly liberal. Many of my co-workers have Prescott on their short list, or have chosen it. My kids will still be little when I punch out, and I want them to live in a big house. That isn't going to happen here.
Old 06-25-2013, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
How come the last free states are mostly either desert or cold? Why can't, say, Hawaii or the Florida Keys (I know, I know, its part of a state...), be gun friendly places to live with effective governments? I don't plan on waiting till I retire to jump ship, my problem is finding a place where I can deal with the weather. I'll admit, I've been spoiled by the California weather and the beautiful scenery.
I personally wouldn't want to LIVE in the Keys, but the place really isn't that bad..........far as gun law goes, the Keys are in Florida and Florida is ANYTHING but gun unfriendly!!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 8:16 PM

I've been eligible for retirement for a few months, if I didn't have a daughter about to start college, I would be gone. Once she gets settled (i'm thinking 2 years, lol) heading for the border of Cali and Nevada. Keeping addresses in both states. Cali legislature are freaking idiots.
Old 06-25-2013, 8:18 PM

If OR and WA weren't so blue, I would consider them....might still though. Thinking about going into the medicinal marijuana business :-)
Old 06-29-2013, 8:15 PM

Default Are there any groups of LEO's that are speaking out??

Hey guys, I am not and LEO. I am just a crippled guy, and I post this question with the utmost respect. I ask because I have never heard of or seen a group of active LEO's that are speaking against the gun laws. I think that would be a powerful group to see standing up against the ignorant legislature. And it also seems there is a large majority amongst those that answered the polls. In fact a protest from such a group would make people take notice. Civil disobedience is a very very powerful tool. One that can and will ensure our rights continue. Is it because it might risk your employment? Your careers? What about the lives of your LEO posterity? If you can site that it is just getting easier for the dangerous criminal element that do you not have a duty to your own brethren? If a few thousand of you stood outside the capitol when these laws came to a vote, or testified to their opposition in committee than even if you lost that particular battle you would win us all the war. Make the media and the ignorant public take notice of what these laws are really doing and going to do, and you could change the sentiment of a generation. It would not just be the NRA, Calguns, FFL's, etc that are speaking out. The gun control side would not be able to proclaim that we are a desperate minority. Take the pictures of the departed, take the pictures of those lives that could not protect themselves. Show them the legitimacy of our arguments. I will proudly stand beside you. As would thousands of us not only here in Ca, but across the nation. It takes one of you to start this movement.
As I stated before, I say this with the absolute utmost respect. However I also say this with urgency. Something big must be done to alter the course we are on.
Old 06-29-2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmoore87 View Post
I have never heard of or seen a group of active LEO's that are speaking against the gun laws. I think that would be a powerful group to see standing up against the ignorant legislature.

However I also say this with urgency. Something big must be done to alter the course we are on.
What is more important 90% retirement or 60%? The Democrats will give you a great retirement and the Republicans will not. Looking at the whole picture, a home, raising children, sending them to college, comfort in your golden years.

What course you talking about? Your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents set the course. If it took 50 years to get so screwed up it will take 50 years to make it right. To get on a fast track you will have to go Libertarian Party because the big boys have the 'status quo' locked down.
Old 06-29-2013, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey guys, I am not and LEO. I am just a crippled guy, and I post this question with the utmost respect. I ask because I have never heard of or seen a group of active LEO's that are speaking against the gun laws. I think that would be a powerful group to see standing up against the ignorant legislature. And it also seems there is a large majority amongst those that answered the polls. In fact a protest from such a group would make people take notice. Civil disobedience is a very very powerful tool. One that can and will ensure our rights continue. Is it because it might risk your employment? Your careers? What about the lives of your LEO posterity? If you can site that it is just getting easier for the dangerous criminal element that do you not have a duty to your own brethren? If a few thousand of you stood outside the capitol when these laws came to a vote, or testified to their opposition in committee than even if you lost that particular battle you would win us all the war. Make the media and the ignorant public take notice of what these laws are really doing and going to do, and you could change the sentiment of a generation. It would not just be the NRA, Calguns, FFL's, etc that are speaking out. The gun control side would not be able to proclaim that we are a desperate minority. Take the pictures of the departed, take the pictures of those lives that could not protect themselves. Show them the legitimacy of our arguments. I will proudly stand beside you. As would thousands of us not only here in Ca, but across the nation. It takes one of you to start this movement.
As I stated before, I say this with the absolute utmost respect. However I also say this with urgency. Something big must be done to alter the course we are on.
Leo's are prohibited by their own department rules and regs from acting in any political manner. So they cannot identify themselves as a department member and advocate on the behalf of any political issue.......

If a LEO does as you suggest he or she would be subject to discipline up to and including dismissal....

So, no it will not happen. As "Bad" as this may seem, do you really want LEO's taking sides in every political issue? I would hope not. Impartiality is more important, because there are always at least two sides to every political issue.

I for one don't want LEO's to be dragged into every political issue. Impartiality is the best policy...

So lobby your politicians, but leave the street cops out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Evil prevails when good men fail to act.
These replies make me very sad. They make me realize that our side cannot win. We will lose the war. With a broken heart I say thank you for all that LEO's do for us citizens, and of course I meant no disrespect when I posted this question. I ask just one more. When is it worth the risk to stand up for what you believe in?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
What is more important 90% retirement or 60%? The Democrats will give you a great retirement and the Republicans will not. Looking at the whole picture, a home, raising children, sending them to college, comfort in your golden years.

What course you talking about? Your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents set the course. If it took 50 years to get so screwed up it will take 50 years to make it right. To get on a fast track you will have to go Libertarian Party because the big boys have the 'status quo' locked down.
The big boys do have the status quo locked down. And that is exactly the problem. You say to look at the whole picture. Perhaps you need to do so as well. Perhaps the big picture is bigger than you or I. You are basically saying you have been bought out by the Democrats. You are saying that you are willing to sacrifice what needs to be done for the security that the Democrats provide you. Think about that.
As always I say this with the utmost respect. However I feel someone needs to say it. Because it is taboo, because it is uncomfortable.

Last edited by Pmoore87; 06-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: respect
Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 AM

And for the record I am not advocating LEO's getting involved in every political issue. I am only advocating getting involved when our essential liberties are one the line.
Old 06-30-2013, 1:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Before I retired I championed for educated gun decisions to the city counsel. it is a pretty conservative community and two of the counsel members are retired cops. I was off-duty at the time but the first thing I said at the podium was, "I am Sergeant Ernie......."

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-30-2013, 1:33 PM

Right on man, see this is the spirit we need to see. Good for you, and thank you for your service.
Old 07-01-2013, 7:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Starting today, the BoE has decided they will add a 3.6 cents additional tax on gasoline because they want more money. The way this state treats the decent, good and productive members of the state is appalling to me. Legal thievery is what comes to my mind and the good folks do not deserve it. Hell, I'll even get a several thousand dollar a year raise taking my retirement to a different state....by not having to pay these hideous gas taxes, sales taxes, home prices, etc, etc. The political climate in this state sucks and there is just not much hope for the good folks of this state in the future.

I truely do love the geography of this state. Within 60-90 minutes I can be at the beach, in the mountains, in the middle of BFE in the desert, etc, etc. The cutting of LE budgets while at the same time the state is releasing 10's of thousands of criminals back into our communities does not sit well with me. It makes no sense to me why the state would leave the good people to fend for themselves while at the same time caudling the non-desireable and momey sucking elements of our communities. I could go on and on but I'm sure you get my thoughts!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Last edited by yzernie; 07-01-2013 at 7:49 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 7:53 AM

I am right there with you. Its getting to expensive to handle. I am on disability too, so you can imagine how hard its getting. I love this state I am 7th gen but I don't know if I can hang on forever.
Old 07-01-2013, 8:00 AM

Quote:
The big boys do have the status quo locked down. And that is exactly the problem. You say to look at the whole picture. Perhaps you need to do so as well. Perhaps the big picture is bigger than you or I. You are basically saying you have been bought out by the Democrats. You are saying that you are willing to sacrifice what needs to be done for the security that the Democrats provide you. Think about that.
As always I say this with the utmost respect. However I feel someone needs to say it. Because it is taboo, because it is uncomfortable.
No, I am saying the sheeple have been brought out. You have one issue guns. What about the other issues?

If look at the big picture you would have voted for Ron Paul. Did you? I did.
Old 07-01-2013, 8:07 AM

I am a libertarian as well. If only we could wake more people wake up. I sir do not have one issue. I have a lot of issues in fact. And when I think about it more, what would really be the best use of a protest like I suggested would be one that stopped all intrusions into the Constitution. We really need the entire population to get together. I see your point a little clearer now, but I still think this would put a sudden stop to these ridiculous laws. It would make it harder on the criminals, and easier for the law abiding gun owners.
Old 07-01-2013, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Deleted - on the phone and didn't see which forum this was in...

Last edited by kperry; 07-01-2013 at 8:21 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 8:27 AM

Quote:
I am a libertarian as well. If only we could wake more people wake up. I sir do not have one issue. I have a lot of issues in fact. And when I think about it more, what would really be the best use of a protest like I suggested would be one that stopped all intrusions into the Constitution. We really need the entire population to get together. I see your point a little clearer now, but I still think this would put a sudden stop to these ridiculous laws. It would make it harder on the criminals, and easier for the law abiding gun owners.
The civil libertarian is the best route. Before the Republican primary I wore my "Paul for President" t-shirt to Angeles Shooting Range and I only got one positive response out of 25 people. That is CA. In WA, ID, MT, AZ, NM, NV and TX I get positive responses. You would think on the west coast people be more open minded.
Old 07-04-2013, 3:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhondapilot View Post
I am more motivated to escape the high personal tax rates. NV is looking pretty good.
I know a retired Fire Captain in Sparks who dodges 12k a year in state taxes living in Nevada- winning.
Old 07-04-2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore View Post
I know a retired Fire Captain in Sparks who dodges 12k a year in state taxes living in Nevada- winning.
I can completely understand that. Oregon is looking good too. Higher property taxes but no sales tax. I think that can make up the difference. This state is just hammering its citizens a little too hard.
Old 07-04-2013, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Lets keep this on subject.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-04-2013, 5:20 PM
Banned

Speaking of retirement- Who got to keep their 3%@50?
Old 07-04-2013, 6:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Had the 3@50 not come into effect I would have had to keep working patrol well into my 60's to get a decent retirement. Is a 60+ year old, 40+ year veteran who the good citizens of our communities really want working the patrol spots? Not me. My body is broken down at 34 years, I cannot imagine what it would have been like working graveyard patrol at 60+.

That said, we are GTFO of this state after the wife retires next year. This state has taken its toll on the good people who contribute to, and are productive members, of their communities. By 2015, California will only see my hard earned money as I pass through to visit family!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-04-2013, 6:50 PM

Finally picked my date, March 2015. Wife has 9 more years but we may go the two household route until she can pull. We are headed for Texas Hill Country, North of San Antonio. No State sales tax, really low home prices, huge market for part time LEO related work and very gun friendly. New Braunfels has a 10 day festival for sausage and beer every year...who can say no to that?!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 8:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-M-42 View Post
Finally picked my date, March 2015.
You won't regret it one bit!!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-05-2013, 2:58 PM

I'm never leaving! I'm working until they make me leave and then I will find me another job right here in Cali; the best state of them all!!!