Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-25-2013, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Default Remington 870 Express Magnum -- Hunting Quail anf Upland Game?

I own a 10 year old 870 Express Magnum with maybe a 200 rds through it, its been cleaned immediately after most trips to the range. I think the 17 1/2-18" barrel is too short for hunting quail and other upland game. Anyone ever use it for this purpose?

After close inspection I can see that the barrel on my Express Magnum (I believe it was marketed as the "Defender") does not have threads for a choke. So, if it is agreed that hunting isn't a good option then what is the best all purpose (hunting/home defense) barrel length to go with here that can accept a choke?

What do you have to say about it?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 06-25-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

26/28" barrel for hunting
Old 06-25-2013, 7:43 PM

Hey, Darrel!

Quote:
I think the 17 1/2-18" barrel is too short for hunting quail and other upland game. Anyone ever use it for this purpose?
I think there's a minimum barrel length required for the game of skeet (and great hunting practice, btw, obviously) because I hear that 18" barrels aren't allowed on the skeet field. One might be able to take an 18.5" HD barrel hunting, but the pattern after 25 ft will be kinda loose.

Now, as long as we're throwing measurements around, may I please be the first to remind you that absolutely! no where in a law-abiding, free citizen's life does there reside any barrel shorter than 18 inches. Why?

Because simply being in possession! of any shotgun barrel shorter than 18" can have you arrested on a felony charge. End game, right there. Big ol' FAIL.

And since we (and barrel makers) wish to remain legal, any contemporary "18-inch" barrel will be made to 18.5 inches. You can retail purchase no shorter.

I don't have any links to 870 barrels, but you might Go0gle "used shotgun barrels" and look for the 26" to 28" barrel Jeff has just recommended. Prolly find a good used one for +/- 100 bucks.
Old 06-25-2013, 8:41 PM

I found an 870 "28 barrel with a couple of chokes for $100 on this very site. I purchased it for the same reasons you mention.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Hey, Darrel!

I think there's a minimum barrel length required for the game of skeet (and great hunting practice, btw, obviously) because I hear that 18" barrels aren't allowed on the skeet field. One might be able to take an 18.5" HD barrel hunting, but the pattern after 25 ft will be kinda loose.

Now, as long as we're throwing measurements around, may I please be the first to remind you that absolutely! no where in a law-abiding, free citizen's life does there reside any barrel shorter than 18 inches. Why?

Because simply being in possession! of any shotgun barrel shorter than 18" can have you arrested on a felony charge. End game, right there. Big ol' FAIL.

And since we (and barrel makers) wish to remain legal, any contemporary "18-inch" barrel will be made to 18.5 inches. You can retail purchase no shorter.

I don't have any links to 870 barrels, but you might Go0gle "used shotgun barrels" and look for the 26" to 28" barrel Jeff has just recommended. Prolly find a good used one for +/- 100 bucks.

No worries, its a stock Remington barrel, so it must be 18" when removed, but it measures 17.5" from the receiver to end of barrel. Again stock barrel from the factory, no legal issues here!

Too all of you suggesting a longer barrel for hunting,...Anything I should look for in a barrel? Will any 870 barrel fit my 870 Express Magnum? Any advantage to going up to a Wingmaster barrel?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 06-25-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 8:09 AM

Quote:
No worries, its a stock Remington barrel, so it must be 18" when removed, but it measures 17.5" from the receiver to end of barrel. Again stock barrel from the factory, no legal issues here!
That is correct; one-half inch of the chamber end of the barrel is in the receiver.

One way barrel length is measured is with the gun assembled, with the action closed and a dowel inserted to the bolt, then marked at the muzzle end, withdrawn, then measured with a tape.

Again, any barrel properly measured and determined to be less than 18", even if it measures 17-123/124ths is a felony violation. This is why "aftermarket" HD barrels may be that one-half inch longer to be on the safe side.

Excuse me for perhaps putting too fine a point on it, but we don't want folks to think they're good to go with an illegal-length shotgun barrel!

Last edited by 200Apples; 06-26-2013 at 9:30 AM..
Old 06-26-2013, 8:12 AM

And, yes; any 870 barrel will work on your gun... but if it matters to you, remember to find a barrel finished (blued? or parkerized/black oxide) the same as your receiver and magazine.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM

"And, yes; any 870 barrel will work on your gun... but if it matters to you, remember to find a barrel finished (blued? or parkerized/black oxide) the same as your receiver and magazine."

However, if you want to keep the ability to shoot 3" shells in your Express Magnum, make sure the replacement barrel is also chambered in 3 inch, and not just 2-3/4." And if you plan to do any duck/geese hunting, keep in mind the steel shot issues involved, depending on what steel shot size you intend to send down the barrel. In my opinion, if it's a hunting gun it dosen't matter if the barrel finish matches the receiver as long as the price is right for you. If you are going to use it for all around wing and small game shooting, it would be beneficial to have a removable choke system that can be changed out when needed for various hunting applications, therefore being able to use just one barrel for everything field related.

Last edited by AnimalHead; 06-26-2013 at 2:25 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
However, if you want to keep the ability to shoot 3" shells in your Express Magnum, make sure the replacement barrel is also chambered in 3 inch, and not just 2-3/4."

You bring up a good point.

I was going to mention the 3" chamber issue, but, for example, I have a Mossberg-made-for-Remington 870 replacement barrel upon which the following information is stamped:

------12 GA.-18 1/2 IN. CYLINDER BORE ------
USE 2 3/4 OR 3" SHELLS IN MAGNUM RECEIVERS
-------USE ONLY 2 3/4" IN ALL OTHERS -------

[Edit:] ...the above-marked barrel has a 3-inch chamber.

Carry on.

Last edited by 200Apples; 06-27-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 06-26-2013, 5:38 PM

If the barrel is chambered in 2-3/4" only, then that is what it is designed and manufactured to safely shoot. The designation "Magnum" on a Remington 870 receiver indicates it is designed and manufactured to safely shoot 3" shells. The barrel on 870's are also stamped as to the chambering, either 2-3/4 or 3 inch," or both. If someone buy's an extra barrel for a 870 Magnum, but didn't realize that it's only chambered in 2-3/4", it would be a safety issue shooting 3" shells when using that barrel. That is why I made mention of it. A barrel chambered in 2-3/4" can be used on a Magnum receiver to shoot ONLY 2-3/4" shells without issue, but a barrel chambered in 3" would be unsafe on a non-magnum receiver. I have some non-magnum 2-3/4" wingmasters that will cycle 3" shells and eject them without problem. That's why it is important to pay attention to the ratings on both the receiver and the barrel. Some of the older barrels on the market are not as clearly marked as the newer ones, so it is buyer beware.

Last edited by AnimalHead; 06-27-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-27-2013, 8:54 AM

I think you are looking for this barrel here
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...vent-rib-matte
you can buy it for $200

or I just bought this for $400ish out the door
http://www.basspro.com/Remington-870...duct/10217894/

and your barrels will be interchangeable
Old 06-27-2013, 9:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The best possible hunting AND HD length is a 18 or 20".. Being I would never tote around anything longer I prefer to stay 18 being 20 felt too long for my hallways. Yea it made that much a difference.

I'm not 1000% sure of hunting regulations on legal barrel length but I'd assume its open to 18" due to some of my local ranges allowing you to shoot clays with 18". Actually did it with my HD 930 last time out was kinda fun. But if your just looking for a hunting 26/28" is fine IMO. But anything HD involved is 20" or less. They do have 24" guns for turner hunting if you want to go that rout but as far as I know whih I don't know much about hunting you should be able to shoot with an 18"/20" it won't be optimal but it will work if that's all you've got.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Hey, Darrel!

There are plenty of legal citizens in this country with SBS's. There is paperwork and a back ground check and a tax stamp required, but to say there are none is not true.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=686362

Barrel length in a shotgun plays almost no role in actual hunting distances. The choke size is what matters. Most 18-18.5" barrels were designed with home defense in mind so they are almost exclusively a cylinder bore choke. Midway has a few others 18.5" barrels to choose from that include Improved Cylinder and Modified fixed choke tubes. You can also have your current barrel threaded to accept Rem Choke tubes, mine is out getting done as I type this.

My point is you have more options than "only" a 26" or 28" barrel for your shotty. Remington even makes a 21" vented rib Special Purpose barrel that accepts removable Rem Choke tubes from the factory.

Last edited by MongooseV8; 06-27-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM

I understand that the OP wants to use his existing 870 Express Magnum for upland bird hunting and is asking for barrel recommendations. There is a BIG difference between a combat/home defense shotgun and a shotgun used for trap or upland game in regard to barrel length. For trap or wing shooting you would be at a disadvantage with the shorter barrel because it would be unbalanced and would not swing very smoothly. A well balanced gun is a key element for consistent success in trap and wing shooting. Length and weight are an advantage when shooting trap or live birds because of balance and swing weight of the gun. For example; if you have ever shot at a teal dropping in on you out of nowhere at first light on a hazy foggy morning, or a hard right or left trap target you would understand how important swing weight is. If you can do that with an 18 or 20” barrel, my hat is off to you. Your existing 870 would be a fine choice for upland shooting, find a barrel in a length that feels balanced and swings smoothly for you, preferably 28” or longer. Home defense situations are normally in close range, but hunting situations require creative shots and therefore complete powder burn with a longer barrel will give the shot more oomph when needed. Of course that depends on the burn rate of the powder being used. Skeet is a different story, but I don’t do skeet. So get the longer barrel with removable chokes and go hunting, when you get home slap the 18" barrel back on and you are golden.

Last edited by AnimalHead; 06-27-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM

+1 Here is a post I write in the subject a while back this should help. Based on my experience and research through trial and error:
Hmmm, 2 barrels, 2 separate purpose's. Not very efficient. I went ahead and got a Carlson's 18.5" barrel with a Rem choke. And haven't looked back since... So for hunting/trap/sheet/HD what ever; all you gotta do is swap the choke tube to you're general needs.

Well what about my "swing", ballistics, sight radius, etc. It's all bs & irrelevant. After a few clays it grows on you. After a few hunting trips you appreciate the shorter length. And for sight radius/accuracy: well let's face it, it's a shotgun for crying out loud. Range is always limited to your rounds used... And ballistics, I'll be honest it does take a Lil off the top. but nothing notice able. Minuscule in fact. For me if range is an issue I bump up on the size of shot. Weigh carries better. When it comes to HD you're already there. Smallest legal size, any spread you want(choke); it's beautiful.

Now here comes the tricky part. SLUGS AND SLUGS AND MORE SLUGS.
Now using common sense would indicate not to apply any stress to the barrel when avoidable. With that said change the choke and carry on. I recommend I.C. But realistically you can go up to modified with no issues. Not recommended imho over kill but doable.
If you choose this route, get min3 tubes and your golden. Safely exchange chokes and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Fyi.. if you get a Carlson's barrel. The chambers are a Lil sloppy, and need some TLC. Nothing a drill, bore brush, finest steel wool, drops of oil, and 10 mins couldn't fix. Also chrome lined barrel very nice. 1 swipe and its cleaned

Sorry so long but I hope this helps.
Bless! B-)
Old 06-27-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHead View Post
I understand that the OP wants to use his existing 870 Express Magnum for upland bird hunting and is asking for barrel recommendations. There is a BIG difference between a combat/home defense shotgun and a shotgun used for trap or upland game in regard to barrel length. For trap or wing shooting you would be at a disadvantage with the shorter barrel because it would be unbalanced and would not swing very smoothly. A well balanced gun is a key element for consistent success in trap and wing shooting. Length and weight are an advantage when shooting trap or live birds because of balance and swing weight of the gun. For example; if you have ever shot at a teal dropping in on you out of nowhere at first light on a hazy foggy morning, or a hard right or left trap target you would understand how important swing weight is. If you can do that with an 18 or 20” barrel, my hat is off to you. Your existing 870 would be a fine choice for upland shooting, find a barrel in a length that feels balanced and swings smoothly for you, preferably 28” or longer. Home defense situations are normally in close range, but hunting situations require creative shots and therefore complete powder burn with a longer barrel will give the shot more oomph when needed. Of course that depends on the burn rate of the powder being used. Skeet is a different story, but I don’t do skeet. So get the longer barrel with removable chokes and go hunting, when you get home slap the 18" barrel back on and you are golden.
This is all subjective. Some people prefer short hunters and some people prefer long hunters. There are more and more people coming to realize how little is lost and how much is gained with shorter barrels.

But once again we should be giving the OP many options, since there are many. Some people still insist that the older ways of hunting are the only real effective strategies, and that is simply not reality.
Old 06-27-2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
This is all subjective. Some people prefer short hunters and some people prefer long hunters. There are more and more people coming to realize how little is lost and how much is gained with shorter barrels.

But once again we should be giving the OP many options, since there are many. Some people still insist that the older ways of hunting are the only real effective strategies, and that is simply not reality.
I wasn't debating what people like to hunt with or interfering with their personal choices. The OP asked for opinions so I gave him MINE based on 50 years worth of active wing and trap shooting experience. END
Old 06-27-2013, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wasn't debating what people like to hunt with or interfering with their personal choices. The OP asked for opinions so I gave him MINE based on 50 years worth of active wing and trap shooting experience. END
Not trying to offend you, but your post reads as fact, not as your opinion. New guys read a post like that and make a blind decision based on it, especially when you follow it with "based on 50 years...."
Old 06-27-2013, 2:11 PM

I for one appreciate AnimalHead's experience. And! ...with less than one post per month, he rarely doles it out!

To clarify my earlier post stating my obvious confusion over the barrel/chamber/receiver 2-3/4 or 3-inch capabilities, here's a little blurb from Remington's site, the link to which was courtesy M27.

Quote:
•Model 870 extra barrels with 2-3/4" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum and 2-3/4" receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells in these barrels

•Model 870 extra barrels with 3" chambers used on Super Magnum and Magnum receivers will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shotshells only. Use only 2-3/4" shotshells when these barrels are used on non-Magnum receivers.

I own two Wingmasters; both are non-magnum receivers. The first one now wears a Mossberg-made-for-870 blued 18.5" that is also sold by Midway. In looking over the selection of 870 barrels offered by Midway, it seems that every (replacement) barrel has a 3" chamber.

This is not surprising because the first shotgun in my recent collection is a S&W Model 3000 (a fine 870 clone made by Howa) that wears a 30" full choke vent rib barrel. The gun can shoot either 3" or 2-3/4" shells. The barrel is stamped:

12GA., 3 INCH CHAMBER
FULL
MFG IN JAPAN TO S&W SPEC

In other news...

Mongoose! Thank you too for your SBS info. Curious, sincerely: does any of it pertain to CA gun law?

I honestly do not know.

Please pardon the threadjack.

Last edited by 200Apples; 06-27-2013 at 2:13 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 2:40 PM

After about sixty years of shooting and hunting most all types of small game that either walked or had wings...................I've found that a 28" barrel on a shotgun is a good-all around choice.
A 18" barrel is fine for HD and even buck/slug uses, but just a might too short for bird hunting/clay work.
Having both........you got most everything covered!
Old 06-27-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Great advice!
The OP would be wise to listen to him.
If there was a advantage to a 18" barrel I would think folks that have a lot on the line, for example the Olympic trap and skeet teams would use them.
Another problem with short barrels are the noise.
If you are hunting with someone with a short barrel it is LOUD.
I once duck hunted with a person with a short barrel on a 870.
I told him he would have to a longer barrel or a different gun before I would take him out again.
Old 06-27-2013, 7:48 PM

one of my favorite upland guns is my 870 20ga magnum youth with a shorter stock and a 21 inch barrel. it swings so nicely and carries very well. i love that little gun. force me to pick a 12 and i will take my 8770 12 ga with 26 inch barrel. im talking about club pheasants and wild doves where shots are not very far and you dont need much shot to bring down a bird. wild pheasants or ducks take the 12.

if you want to buy a 26 or 28 12ga chocked barrel i think i have both extras laying around. PM me. i will get you one cheap
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM

+1 mongoose v8 - very prudent points. Contrary to old beliefs...new technologies reign the day. Some would say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Same goes some hunters-none here of course. Lol. Some people are set in their ways, I'm ok with that.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
one of my favorite upland guns is my 870 20ga magnum youth with a shorter stock and a 21 inch barrel. it swings so nicely and carries very well. i love that little gun. force me to pick a 12 and i will take my 8770 12 ga with 26 inch barrel. im talking about club pheasants and wild doves where shots are not very far and you dont need much shot to bring down a bird. wild pheasants or ducks take the 12.

if you want to buy a 26 or 28 12ga chocked barrel i think i have both extras laying around. PM me. i will get you one cheap
For quail and dove, I use a Browning upland special pump with a 22" barrel in 20ga... BPS Upland Special

Pheasants, a Beretta 686 o/u in 20 with a 26" barrel. It also gets me a meat deer once a year.

I don't see the need for a 12ga save for waterfowl. Weight of the gun makes a HELL of a difference, especially toward the end of a long day in the field. 20's are especially nice as you're less likely to end up with bird-burger.

Let us know what you end up with.

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 06-28-2013 at 9:58 AM..
Old 06-28-2013, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

I don't see the need for a 12ga save for waterfowl. Weight of the gun makes a HELL of a difference, especially toward the end of a long day in the field. 20's are especially nice as you're less likely to end up with bird-burger.

Let us know what you end up with.
20s do just fine with waterfowl, even with steel shot; though heavy/bismuth/whatever is (naturally) better.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM

28" with rem chokes do ya for hunting.