Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-24-2013, 2:21 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default Blaser F3 vs. Beretta 687 combos

Hey fellow calgunners,

I just wanted to get your input on a decision I've been trying to make for some time now. I've narrowed down my search to two specific shotguns for trap. Long story short, I am stuck between a new Beretta 687 from Joel Etchen and a Blaser F3 Super Trap combo. There's a difference in money, but I hear that it's a worthwhile gain for the Blaser. I'm not planning on doing any competing other than with myself and wife, I'm just looking for a nice shotgun that will give me years of trouble-free shooting and enjoyment. While I already miss the Rottweil, I can't help but to feel rushed into deciding again. If you have experiences with the two, please let me know your input. I've minimal with the Blasers, but they seemed like VERY nice guns... thanks in advance!

Jerry
Old 06-24-2013, 2:33 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicronuT View Post
The 68x's are done. Check out the new beretta 692 first.
I was referring to the trap combos for both shotguns, not field or standard sporting models, sorry, I should have been more specific.

Jerry
Old 06-24-2013, 4:56 PM

If it were my choice - Blaser F3. There's a few trap combos at our local trap club, and based on what they say, and their recommendations; they love them. I also have minimal time on them: an early F3 and a current F3 Sporter, and from the afternoon spent with them, I was impressed.

I'll see one particular buddy in a couple of weeks at the next club shoot; I can get more info/opinions on his combo if you'd like.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:59 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Yes please! I've heard of people mentioning that the rib is not very secure, and read somewhere that someone witnessed one falling off during a trap round. Now something like that can happen to any gun, but the lack of users and available information is all that's worrying me.

Jerry
Old 06-24-2013, 5:31 PM

My experiences with an F3 Super sport

-It has one of the best triggers available(I think my Perazzi trigger is great but the F3 might even be better)
-Wood selection seems low grade for a shotgun in this price range
-Full rebuild to factory new specs in less than two weeks(Brothers Luxus just got back, it did'nt take too well to shooting in the rain)
-No fitting required on all barrels and stocks
-Check out Cove Creek Outfitters or Pacific Sporting Arms for a great deal

For a non-competitor, I'm not sure if it's worth twice the price. You can get his and her's Etchen 687's for the price of one Super Sport Combo.

Not sure about the 687, only 687 I have is a field gun.
Old 06-24-2013, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

When I read a "which shotgun should I buy" thread I'm torn between giving my opinion, and telling them "opinions are like @@@-holes, everybody has one".

I could no easier tell you which car to buy, or girl to marry. That's why there are choices, because YOU get to choose.
Old 06-24-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
When I read a "which shotgun should I buy" thread I'm torn between giving my opinion, and telling them "opinions are like @@@-holes, everybody has one".

I could no easier tell you which car to buy, or girl to marry. That's why there are choices, because YOU get to choose.
By that same token, if Bob would like to know Nancy's and Kelly's pasts, and there were people who known/have known one or both...it does help paint a better picture for the one choosing...

And I agree with Brad, which is usually why I just say, "buy them both" (may work for cars, not for significant others).
Old 06-24-2013, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't shot in years but always liked the Browning BT 99 I shoot or the Remington 870 Trap. I haven't shot in years because our range was shut down.
Old fashioned I guess.

Old 06-24-2013, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayReys View Post
By that same token, if Bob would like to know Nancy's and Kelly's pasts, and there were people who known/have known one or both...it does help paint a better picture for the one choosing...
Are Nancy and Kelly sisters by any chance? Twins maybe?
Old 06-24-2013, 7:24 PM

Were it me, I would go to the suggested PSA and talk with them, they carry both of those lines. I know that Blaser was on the 'A' list a few years ago, but haven't heard much about them of late. Maybe a passing fad? I dunno.

What I do know is that PSA has a great selection of shotguns and a wealth of accurate information. Pricing seems competitive too. They also have many used shotguns on the racks there that may be better priced.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:32 PM

which gun fit you better?

I don't think Joel Etchen is local for you and I don't know if you can try (or fit) the guns before you buy.

I've had 2 687's in the past. I've also tried other 687's. For my experience, they don't fit me well at all. I'm 5'10" and the length of pull of 687's are too short.

Blaser F3 fit me much better. Blaser F3's are nice guns. According to Blaser, you can fit any barrels to it without gunsmith fitting. Also, you can put weights on the barrel and/or in the stock to try to achieve perfect balance for yourself. I don't remember if you can do this with other guns, but definitely not on a Beretta 687.

My suggestion, if you can't try the guns, and you're on the taller side, go for the Blaser F3.

However, a Blaser F3 is not cheap. I strongly advise you to come down to Southern California and visit PSA, Pacific Sporting Arms (http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/). Keep in mind that you'll probably spend a few hours there. I'm sure they got more guns than Joel Etchen. Check out their website or click here for

new Blaser guns: http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/b...w-blaser-guns/
used Blaser guns: http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/b...d-blaser-guns/

They currently have a really nice used engraved Trap combo: http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/p...mbo-12GA-32-34
and a brand new Trap combo: http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/p...ap-Combo-32-34

Pacific Sporting Arms is all about customer service. They won't push you to buy any guns and they'll take the time to answer all your questions/concerns and assist you to find a gun that fit you and your budget. I've bought 5 shotguns from them and will not go other places for shotguns.

Check out my posts in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=741776

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Joel Etchen's shop is in PA, definitely not local. PSA would be a great place to visit, but my schedule doesn't allow me to travel without complications (full time student, full time job, baby). The only reason why I'm comparing the two is I can get a new 687 combo custom with adjustable rib and comb from Joel's place for just under $5000, while a lightly used Blaser F3 combo will be about $8500. Fitment is more or less fine for either, I'm 6'1 with wide shoulders and t-rex arms. I'm leaning more towards the 687 at this point, since there's more information about them and they seem to be bullet proof for the most part. I can't justify spending much more than that at the moment, since I've been shooting less (although it might change soon).

I was hoping simply hear opinions on both shotguns, and I know fitment is a big part, but either way, the only problem I've ever had with a shotgun is cheek placement, and both have an adjustable comb. LOP for me is pretty standard, 14.5" more or less. Weight isn't really an issue, I've been used to swinging both light and heavy guns depending on what I've been shooting. Thanks to all for your input!

Jerry
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM

My buddy's F3 is sitting in my truck bed right now- to follow up from him and another buddy with the same combo- they like theirs a lot but have also had the aforementioned rib issues... One still shoots his regularly the other is selling his as he just bought a new toy.
Old 07-07-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Would you buy a car without test driving it first?

Would you marry a girl without "test driving" her first?

Then why would you buy a shotgun without "test driving" it first?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Banned

If you're shooting any serious trap, I'd think a heavier gun than a 687 is in order. Beretta's competition gun is the 682. At least then it would be comp gun vs. comp gun.

Been awhile since I hung around the trap range, but used to be everyone bragging about P guns and K guns and such also mentioned factory service. The B gun guys typically had no knowledge of factory service (a good thing in my mind). In 100's of 1000's rounds they might wear out (can be rebuilt), but seldom does anything break. The exotics just seem more fragile.
Old 07-11-2013, 5:20 AM
Veteran Member

Good point, ask a Perazzi owner about springs and he'll talk your ear off. Ask a Browning owner and he'll give you a blank stare.

BUT I STILL WANT TO OWN A PERAZZI BEFORE I DIE.