Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-24-2013, 3:25 PM

Default Good scope for a first time ar 15 user

Jut picked up my first ar 15.. Was at the shooting range and just wasn't really digging it with the magpul sight.. I've been Dooing some research but there is just too much this and that.. So what's a good or great scope around $250?
Let me know thanks
P.s. if you have one for sale too let me know
In the Santa Barbara county
Old 06-24-2013, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

In your price range, look into the Burris Tac 30 1-4x. Nice scope for the money, gives you the ability to go from short to long range set at 4x.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Are you new to the platform or new to shooting period? If new to shooting period, stick with irons.

Otherwise for the money, check out the leatherwood CMR. SWFA sometimes has em on promo for 300 with a single piece mount
Old 06-24-2013, 5:38 PM

I didn't opt for a scope, but I was looking at the

1. Leupold Patrol 1-4x
2. Mueller Speed Shot 1-4x
3. Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x

Options 1/2 are around $300. You will need to purchase a mount as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:41 PM

I'm in the same boat I was going to stick with just irons but after shooting my buddies scoped AR I think I'm going to throw one on.
Old 06-24-2013, 6:24 PM

Primary arms has worked well for me at a reasonable price
Old 06-24-2013, 7:00 PM

I have a Nikon M-223 1-4x20. Got it with the BDC 600 reticle, a Midway exclusive. Nice scope for the money.

Robert
Old 06-24-2013, 7:04 PM

budget?
Old 06-24-2013, 7:14 PM

Are you looking for a red dot or variable power scope? 1st time I used an eotech was an eye opener. I went home and ordered 1. For a variable power in that price range I would look at nikon m223 or leupold mark ar. Don't bother with more than 3-9 power. For the last red dot you'll ever buy you should stretch your budget for an Aimpoint PRO. Killer sight for the $$$
Old 06-24-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21Shooter View Post
In your price range, look into the Burris Tac 30 1-4x. Nice scope for the money, gives you the ability to go from short to long range set at 4x.

What he said. I have the same scope. It will run around 340-380 with the mount. Glass is very clear with very good eye relief. Reticle is like an Eotech for close range plus it can be lit at night. Good scope for the money.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:16 PM

Judging by the fact that your first post was made less than three weeks ago, i'm going to venture that you're new to shooting. Please don't take this as an insult, because no offense is intended. A lot of guys get their first AR and want to deck it out with plenty of stuff to make it "work better" (i'm guilty of this as well)

You said you weren't really digging the magpul sight. I assume you're talking about the flip-up backup sights? The peephole rear with the post front?

If you are, i strongly suggest you take that $250 and buy some cheap ammo, and practice with someone who knows the platform (or possibly even drop the cash on attending an Appleseed class to get the fundamentals). You can spend all the money in the world on optics, but if you're slapping the trigger and not controlling your breathing, you'll still be missing your target.

Likewise, if you're not familiar with the sights/parts/barrel of your rifle, then how will you know the difference between a good scope's and a bad scope's performance?

(My first scope was an NCStar mark III with red-dot sight. $159. If i didn't know how to use my irons, i would not have known that this scope was absolutely terrible, and i would have been wasting money on ammo trying to figure it out.)

If you are absolutely set on buying a scope, the i suggest you invest in a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm. They run just under 180, which leaves you with 70 bucks to get quality rings to mount it.

I wish you luck, OP.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:19 PM

EOTech or Aimpoint clone (Although I suggest you simply save up a few months and invest in the latter) Super easy to use and much much better than those peep hole iron sights. Opticsplanet.com has a great selection.

www.chrismandia.com

staff writer for www.guns.com
Old 06-24-2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnorcal View Post
For the last red dot you'll ever buy you should stretch your budget for an Aimpoint PRO. Killer sight for the $$$
I am shipping an Aimpoint PRO back to Brownells tomorrow - I just can't handle the "halo" I get with my astigmatism.

Dan K.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Just watch the weight
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the comments .. I've been around guns my whole life but never personally owned one... I know a little here and there about Guns but not 100% dialed in like some of you guys..ill take a look at the options you guys gave me and see what comes up...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMerc View Post
Judging by the fact that your first post was made less than three weeks ago, i'm going to venture that you're new to shooting. Please don't take this as an insult, because no offense is intended. A lot of guys get their first AR and want to deck it out with plenty of stuff to make it "work better" (i'm guilty of this as well)

You said you weren't really digging the magpul sight. I assume you're talking about the flip-up backup sights? The peephole rear with the post front?

If you are, i strongly suggest you take that $250 and buy some cheap ammo, and practice with someone who knows the platform (or possibly even drop the cash on attending an Appleseed class to get the fundamentals). You can spend all the money in the world on optics, but if you're slapping the trigger and not controlling your breathing, you'll still be missing your target.

Likewise, if you're not familiar with the sights/parts/barrel of your rifle, then how will you know the difference between a good scope's and a bad scope's performance?

(My first scope was an NCStar mark III with red-dot sight. $159. If i didn't know how to use my irons, i would not have known that this scope was absolutely terrible, and i would have been wasting money on ammo trying to figure it out.)

If you are absolutely set on buying a scope, the i suggest you invest in a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm. They run just under 180, which leaves you with 70 bucks to get quality rings to mount it.

I wish you luck, OP.
Like I said I am not 100% dialed in but if I do t get one now then when will I actually be right to get one ??? I shot a couple rounds already down at the range and just didn't really feel the magpul (flip up) was for me but idk
Maybe I'll go crazy and buy an aimpoint and a scope .. Hehehe thanks for your suggestions
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

What if $500 was the budget???

― John Adams
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. mil/mil. The guys here talked me into one.

Calguns Community Chapters (C3) - San Diego
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Bro, do you even operate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
If you suck with irons you will suck with optics. The difference is the aimpoint will allow you to suck faster and a scope will give you a closer look at how much you suck.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

I've been very pleased with my Nikon P223 3-9x40. It was right around the $250 range with rings and mounts.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpants View Post
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. mil/mil. The guys here talked me into one.
This! You'll love that optic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IMO just stick with your Irons for a bit then see if you even want or need a optic. I was the same way then shot my rifle and was happy with it with just irons.

but if you must look at burris and vortex. Or if you can hold out till midway or someone has the AimPoint PRO on sale again and snag one of those. Highly recommend a PRO ($350-$420 on sale)

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-25-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Lol best answer...

OP, I can personally attest to the truth in this comment. I shoot okay, but even with using a magnifier, I am unhappy with my groups, and this is all because of flaws in my fundamentals. As such, I've recently made it a point to shoot with my irons, and especially to focus on fundamentals with irons. I've gotten much better recently because of this.

That beings said, I still have my aimpoint PRO, and my flip to side magnifier, which I still use when going to the range with friends, but if its serious practice, I tend to shoot 90% irons.

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-25-2013, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

IRONS. You will be amazed at how much you learn when you learn to shoot irons correctly and well. You stick yourself on a scope later in life and the world opens up.

There is no better way to learn to shoot well than by shooting irons, and you will be more adaptable to any firearm once you know how to shoot them.
Old 06-25-2013, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's friggin' awesome.

So since I have a SBA Vortex 1-4X I can suck pretty fast, and then zoom in and get a pretty close look at how much I suck.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
It's the harsh truth!

how far out are you shooting? Are you at 50yds? 100yds?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

The Magpul "irons" are horrible! Invest in a set of Troy irons and learn the basics. If you are struggling to dial in irons, are scope is going to be a challenge as well. I get my irons set up at 100, then install my red dot of choice the spin to dials until I have a co-witness. Like others have said, optics can't cure bad habits, or technique.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
Like I said I am not 100% dialed in but if I do t get one now then when will I actually be right to get one ??? I shot a couple rounds already down at the range and just didn't really feel the magpul (flip up) was for me but idk
Maybe I'll go crazy and buy an aimpoint and a scope .. Hehehe thanks for your suggestions
Once you're comfortable with good groups using irons, that's when you should be shopping for a decent scope.

For a new owner on a new platform, i'd say once you're consistently getting 5" groups at 100 yards with irons. Others may say 3", but i don't know how good your eyesight is.

The trick is not accuracy, but consistency. If you're making a two inch group that's not in the bullseye, you can pinpoint what you're doing wrong based on where the group is. If your target looks like buckshot, it could be all manner of technique combined with natural obstacles (windage, humidity, temperature)

I posted a Marine Corps Rifle Data Book previously. If you print out a few pages of it, you can track your point of aim when the shot breaks, then compare it to where you actually have a bullet hole.

Here's the thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=600903

Page 21 and 22 are for zeroing. Page 21 you do a string of 3 rounds, slowly. Plot them, make adjustments, then do another string of 3. Adjust then do a final string of 4 and you should be zeroed.

Page 22 has Call on the left. Make a dot where you think the front sight post was as the shot broke. When you can look through a spotting scope, Plot the number (1) where your bullet actually was. Under the second Call block, note any adjustments you make to the sights. Fire the second shot and make a dot on the 2nd Call target. Compare it to the second bullet hole, marked (2) on the Plot target.

Once you've completed 5 shots, you should have a decent group showing what your call was and where the impacts were, then you can identify if you had breathing issues (impacts in a vertical line relative to the call), unnatural point of aim/body not relaxed (group of shots wandering from center outward), not focusing on the front sight post (shots are evenly surrounding the target, not grouping) or jerking the trigger (shots tending to pull to the left or right of your aim)

There are a LOT of things to maintain when shooting for accuracy. If you start with optics, you won't catch your bad habits until they become ingrained in your shooting style.

Last edited by SgtMerc; 06-25-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 2:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
sig worthy.

Calguns Community Chapters (C3) - San Diego
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Bro, do you even operate?
Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc426 View Post
Primary arms has worked well for me at a reasonable price
I second that... and its under $100. Its very aimpoint like.
Benelli m4/m2
Old 06-25-2013, 4:16 PM
Tere Hanges Chairman
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's one of the top 10 things ever said on CGN regarding AR's.
Old 06-25-2013, 4:36 PM

Never said I suck with the optics but if u are shooting a good 100-150 yards at a cross, want to actually see it get hit.. Idk but that's just me..
Old 06-25-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBum View Post
I've been very pleased with my Nikon P223 3-9x40. It was right around the $250 range with rings and mounts.

Yep, I just bought this 3-9x Nikon P-223, also, for $161 delivered from Dick's Sporting Goods....and a Burris QD mount for another $90. I already have an Eotech XPS2 and it's awesome for close shooting or anything under 100 yds. But after that distance, my middle-aged eyes can't really see...with any pinpoint accuracy...what I'm shooting. If I line up the Eotech on a 12" object out at 200 yds., I can hit it in a shot, or two, or three...but it's not for precision shooting at a target. At least not for this new shooter.

So, I got the scope for more accurate shooting at distance. I want to be able to place decent groups at 100-200 yd. distances....maybe even get up to 300 yd. hits.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

That's possibly the funniest thing I've read on this forum... And a great sig line!

I've had good luck with both the Nikons and the Bushnells. A 1-4X scope should be plenty and within your price range.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

nikon m-223 4-12x, but its not $250, closer to 600 with mount, and from there you can get a bushnell elite for some more coin. For $250 you can't get a good scope really, you might try something made by primary arms for a decent budget scope though.

Eotech would be better than aimpoint if you don't get a scope and want to shoot at distance due to the 1 moa size dot. But either will cost you well above $250.

Just being honest here, a good scope mount for $250 is possible though.

I'm not sure how perfectly this thing will track, but it would be useful to learn a mil/mil system. And it is FFP. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...pa4-14xffp.htm It's just a hair more than you wanted to spend after the delux / delux extended mount.

I don't think the P-223 scopes have parallax adjustment so I would skip.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 06-26-2013 at 1:09 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 1:33 PM
Banned

beginner get good back up sites. for 200 bucks you can get troy sights and call it a day.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
Never said I suck with the optics but if u are shooting a good 100-150 yards at a cross, want to actually see it get hit.. Idk but that's just me..
Why would someone named Jesus be shooting at a cross?

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 06-26-2013, 2:16 PM

I'm not an AR expert. But learn to shoot irons. Go to an Appleseed and learn to shoot. Or take a class or something. Learn to shoot irons.

Put tech sights on a 10/22 or marlin 795 and practice. Once you learn to shoot irons you'll be as accurate as with a scope. I've been shooting my garand for 20+ years. If rather shoot irons. If you're shooting long range and need that kind of accuracy you'll need a scope. But need to know how to shoot more.

I don't know what sights you'd want for that but back up sights probably aren't it. Invest in decent irons. Then practice.

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.