Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Is a 30-yr-old Wingmaster any "better" (some say) than a new Police Magnum?

Just read someone's opinion posted in another thread where they think an "older Wingmaster" is a better-made shotgun than a new Remingtion Police Magnum (with the exception of using 3" magnum shells in the latter).

What say ye? and what, if anything, can be improved on a 1980 Wingmaster to bring it up to snuff as a home defense or fighting shotgun?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM

And where might I find a blued mag tube extension?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Just read someone's opinion posted in another thread where they think an "older Wingmaster" is a better-made shotgun than a new Remingtion Police Magnum (with the exception of using 3" magnum shells in the latter).
Not to threadjack, but I still have my 870, a "1979", my first gun. Classic. Functions flawlessly, shoots great.
Yeah but it is best when you can walk up to the hog and not be afraid to put the barrel on its forehead at the correct angle and then pull the trigger, or if you let the hog charge you with the pistol holstered then draw down when the hog is 6 feet away and let him have it, thatís the exciting way to take a hog.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM

The wingmaster has always been Remington"s top of the line 870 but the police magnum is a step above the express. Before the Police magnnum came out many police departments would issue wingmasters.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought a Wingmaster Magnum last week because I wanted something nicer than a mere 870 P.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 06-23-2013, 9:45 PM

I wouldn't recommend any hunting shotgun for defense if it's had alot of use/abuse. Otherwise, I can't think of a better pumpgun for defense than a 870 wingmaster.
I retired my mossberg pump since it would sometimes try to feed two rounds from the magazine. Killed alot of birds with that gun, my first shotgun.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Exact same weapons with different finish and furniture. This being a fact I would be interested in how one is better then the other since so many people say they are. Of course please provide specifics and not an opinion.

The exception is the older Wingmasters may not be upgraded with the Flex Tab Conversion in which case any 870 with the Flex Tab conversion would be better for defense then that Wingmaster with out it.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 06-24-2013, 1:25 PM

Wingmaster is a much smoother action and fit and finish are better, with that said the Police model works well, I have two wingmasters and I wouldnt trade them for a new police model.
Old 06-24-2013, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Hey Aippi...its been a while

My observation as a Shooter/Hunter and not as an Armorer

The two are the same parts with more refinment in the Wingmaster. Refinment is big between the two IMO.

After using a Wingmaster for about 30 years in foul weather and more clays that one can count.

Wingmaster: Chormed bolt, polished blued finish is very hardy and rust resisant, polished parts make it very smooth, Walnut wood insteed of Birch or Plastic (with the cost of good gun wood these days, I'll take some good wood)

Better bore ( Polished, honed..???) Wingmasters throw better patterns then any Express that I have patterned.

Lastly.....never ran across a Wingmaster with any of the issues found in the Express.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:03 PM

The original question asked, more or less, if an older gun was "better"/better-made/better-parts/etc than a newer one... with the exception of being able to use 3" shells in the latter offering.

Thanks for the replies! and it's good to know that little has changed in the way of parts when another 870 is manufactured and assembled.

As the one who I look towards for 870 advice reminds us, "no"; with the exception of the flex tab conversion on the later models.

Perhaps the older Wingmasters feel smoother to us due to the many thousands of cycles on the action, aiding parts' burnish. Who knows.

I do know that I prefer a classic blue-and-walnut shotgun to a newer black shotgun, but that's probably my age showing.

I've ordered some parts from AI&P Tactical; a blued 2-shot mag extension and a flex tab conversion kit. I'll post some pics in the Shotgun Gallery when I get 'em.

Old 06-24-2013, 8:02 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Exact same weapons with different finish and furniture. This being a fact...
Well, besides the differences in the internals of them. Minor, yes, but there are more differences than just the flextab components.

That being said, any 870 in good shape will be just fine as a HD shotgun. The sporting and hunting ones are plenty reliable, even if they were a truck gun for twenty or thirty years.

...this coming from a Mossberg guy, even! (Although I am a Remington Armorer...)

Last edited by Spyder; 06-24-2013 at 8:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

This post should help.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11636

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."