Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-19-2013, 2:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel_343 View Post
You can always appeal.... I hear the appeal approval is pretty high in Sacramento Co.
OP should like that!!
Old 06-19-2013, 4:00 AM

Default well put !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherDog View Post
Every time I see a post like this, I feel like it might be a troll from some anti-gunner looking for some meat on a big expose' of our hobby. Imagine if he deluged OP with advice on skirting the law and how it might play on the evening news. Sorry, as lame as the law is, we are stuck with it. Feel free to appeal, but understand that drug possession is a serious crime and be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.
outstanding post
Old 06-19-2013, 5:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Back in the early 80's I was driving and got pulled over for speeding. The CHP officer said he smelled marijuana and searched my buddy and I and ticketed my friend for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

I went with him to court a few weeks later where he pled guilty was fined $75 and was told that after 2 years the conviction was automatically expunged. Perhaps 20 years later he applied for and received a California CCW, as well as Arizona and Oregon CCW's and never disclosed the incident to any agency. My friend passed away a year and a half ago, so I'm not ratting him out or anything.

I don't recall if he was charged with an infraction or a misdemeanor, but there was something in effect that automatically expunged the charge. No idea when that changed or if that still happens.

Edit: it appears it would of been charged as a misdemeanor according to what I find online.

My whole reason for posting this is I know we should disclose everything on our applications, yet my friend didn't and it never was a problem. However 20 years probably passed between him getting a ccw and the marijuana possession.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 06-19-2013 at 5:24 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 7:05 AM
Banned

IMHO, 6 years ago was not very long ago in the eyes of the law.

You could appeal or give it a few more years. Even a DUI is held against you at least that long on your DMV report and for insurance purposes. Not saying its right or wrong. Its just that LE will view your arrest as a recent conviction.

Additionally, Bragging about your businesses gross earnings is not a true sign of maturity either. If your arrogance about your business was brought to the table by you and you acted like you should be entitled to receive a CCW because of your business, you made a big mistake, especially after them noting that you had a pot conviction only 6 years prior.

Its just the world we live in until may issue is eliminated. However in a shall issue world a pot conviction could get you a temp ban anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Additionally, Bragging about your businesses gross earnings is not a true sign of maturity either. If your arrogance about your business was brought to the table by you and you acted like you should be entitled to receive a CCW because of your business, you made a big mistake, especially after them noting that you had a pot conviction only 6 years prior.
Exactly this. Plus, they'll be wondering if the pot arrest was the tip of an iceberg that possibly factored into the "multimillion dollar business" thing.
Old 06-21-2013, 1:05 AM

Congrats on your company OP

I say write an appeal and don't get your hopes up. If denied apply on the 10 year mark

I was cited for a minor in possession of alcohol when I was 19 years old. I am now 24 and have my ccw in sac county

When the question came up in the interview all I said was " I was immature and stupidly celebrating graduating from high school, and I made an irresponsible decision, and I learned many valuable lessons from the situation" or something along the lines of that

I don't know If they look at marijuana more seriously than alcohol because they are both misdemeanor infractions, but I honestly think that the interview and how you present yourself and interact with the interviewers is 90% of the decision.

I hope you can get this all straiten out and best of luck OP!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM

What does OP mean?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Original Poster.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Default Sacramento CCW Denied for 6 Yr Old Possesion of Mari Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
I don't know If they look at marijuana more seriously than alcohol because they are both misdemeanor infractions...
A misdemeanor and an infraction are not the same thing. An infraction does not involve the possibility of incarceration, whereas a misdemeanor does. Misdemeanors are more serious. The OP was convicted of a misdemeanor. Also, to my knowledge, minor in possession of alcohol is still a misdemeanor (25662 BP).

Beating a dead horse, though.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM

I was recently denied for not meeting the good moral character requirement. I disclosed the possession of less than 1 oz of marijuana that I wasn't even convicted for. This occurred 18 years ago. I had a couple other college age charges (tresspassing and littering) that were more than 12 years ago. I was not even offered the opportunity to show my character.
Old 07-09-2013, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
I was recently denied for not meeting the good moral character requirement. I disclosed the possession of less than 1 oz of marijuana that I wasn't even convicted for. This occurred 18 years ago. I had a couple other college age charges (tresspassing and littering) that were more than 12 years ago. I was not even offered the opportunity to show my character.
It's apparent that the sheriff's department was of the opinion that your character was already displayed sufficiently by your record. The standards are high, for the dispensing of what they appear to consider the granting of a special privilege. You may be a nice person, but you have displayed a certain disregard for rules that is noteworthy enough to have generated a paper trail. It appears they are real sticklers about rules when it comes to people toting loaded guns around in public, and want to have a very high confidence that the people receiving the permit are also sticklers for rules - and your record shows the opposite - you have a written record of breaking rules. Not a confidence builder.

Now, do I think that's right, fair, and upholds your rights? No. But the sheriff's office doesn't make their policy by who's a nice person or by what we in the public domain think is "fair". If you really feel strongly about it, and can show that you work in a position of responsibility (for instance, you manage an office with 20 people reporting to you, you teach sunday school and do volunteer work with invalids and people in cancer wards) - things that show a written, provable record of years of responsible behavior... then you may want to appeal and present that additional picture. If you just want a do-over because you think you ain't all that bad... it's probably not worth your time.

Last edited by bruss01; 07-09-2013 at 1:27 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
This occurred 18 years ago. I had a couple other college age charges (trespassing and littering) that were more than 12 years ago. I was not even offered the opportunity to show my character.
Check the very first sticky in this sub forum.
Old 07-15-2013, 6:18 PM

Default You've hit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
1. We can all opine about what is and isn't constitutional, but the ultimate arbiter of that is SCOTUS. "May issue" has not been ruled unconstitutional.

2. Possession of <1oz. in CA is an infraction now, but prior to 1/1/11 it was a misdemeanor. Cited for misdemeanor=arrest.
It's what the crime was at the time, not what the crime and penalty penalty is now. Knowing the consequences how ever many years ago it was and breaking the law anyway is something they do look at.
Old 07-16-2013, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah. You're agreeing with me.