Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Adjusting to carrying....

So,
Even though it's not my ideal carry method, I'm carrying via a gun toten mamas purse. For now it's fine. It does come with added adjustments that one might not face when carrying on the body. Obviously having the bag on my shoulder at all times isn't so wonderful. I have found, luckily it's comfortable to have on my shoulder while shopping, even if pushing a cart and isn't all that big of a deal. Things like getting gas or what to do with my bag at my office have been interesting. At work, I have a locking drawer in my desk. I can just keep my bag locked in there and keep the keys on me. Not ideal if I needed it quickly, but in an office setting, that's the best I can do without it on my person.....hoping to find a different set up. I could always get a tiny 380 and hide that on me fairly easily, but prefer my 9mm Kahr. What are your thoughts? (And guys, I know, you carry on the body, please don't bash me)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM

What about the Flashbang holster? It looks like a good idea except for reholstering.

It depends greatly on your outfit.

I prefer pocket carrying my j-frame Smith in a Desanti holster when I wear suits and slacks. I keep a speed loader in my carry bag and a speed strip in the pocket.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 AM

Get a Sticky holster (http://www.stickyholsters.com). Those work pretty good!
They are slim lined and can be positioned anywhere.

Or get a raven concealment vanguard (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/othe...nguard-holster).
They have one for your Karh. Its just a trigger guard and you tie a lanyard to your belt or belt loop and the trigger guard snaps off when you draw it. These are the most adjustable options out there, in my opinion.

Remora holsters are not very good.
Old 06-14-2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyredark View Post

Or get a raven concealment vanguard (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/othe...nguard-holster).
They have one for your Karh. Its just a trigger guard and you tie a lanyard to your belt or belt loop and the trigger guard snaps off when you draw it. These are the most adjustable options out there, in my opinion.

Care to elaborate your personal experience on why "Remora holsters are not very good"?
Old 06-14-2013, 4:48 PM

There is a ladies forum here that may get more relevant eyeballs on this issue for you. Not sure how well a bunch of knuckle dragging guys can help. The whole women and clothes thing is a mystery to me.

(Face it, if it were not for women most men would be unshaven, unclothed, unbathed and roaming the streets aimlessly with no real purpose in life.)

Not sure if you have seen the Well Armed Woman site, they have a lot of female specific gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:45 PM

BAHAHA! This response cracked me up. I think my main issue is that my Kahr, even though it's really quite small and single stack, it doesn't hide well on me with most of my current clothing. I don't want to change how I dress, so it's just a little frustrating for now. Flashbang seems great but my Kahr is too big to hang down under my bra like that. Maybe a tiny little .380...I think it's just going to be a trial and error with different holsters. I have to agree, my poor husband would be living off pop and frozen pizza if it wasn't for me....as for the knuckle dragging? Maybe on occasion :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
There is a ladies forum here that may get more relevant eyeballs on this issue for you. Not sure how well a bunch of knuckle dragging guys can help. The whole women and clothes thing is a mystery to me.

(Face it, if it were not for women most men would be unshaven, unclothed, unbathed and roaming the streets aimlessly with no real purpose in life.)

Not sure if you have seen the Well Armed Woman site, they have a lot of female specific gear.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:47 PM

Also, I am familiar with the Well Armed Woman site....she has some good ideas.
Old 06-14-2013, 5:50 PM

Thank you for you thoughts. Not so keen on that sticky holster. Not something I'd trust. The trigger guard one might be ok, but not for me. Thank you though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyredark View Post

Old 06-14-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD83 View Post
BAHAHA! This response cracked me up. I think my main issue is that my Kahr, even though it's really quite small and single stack, it doesn't hide well on me with most of my current clothing. I don't want to change how I dress, so it's just a little frustrating for now. Flashbang seems great but my Kahr is too big to hang down under my bra like that. Maybe a tiny little .380...I think it's just going to be a trial and error with different holsters. I have to agree, my poor husband would be living off pop and frozen pizza if it wasn't for me....as for the knuckle dragging? Maybe on occasion :P
The thing is women have different body shapes than men. I noticed that one day, and I'm still very enthusiastic about it. Trouble is most guns and gun gear are made with men in mind. What works well for men sometimes will never work for a woman. Even within the men category it still takes a few (dozen) holsters to find the one(s) that work well. Talking to other women that carry may help find the right holster/gun combo, but it's ultimately very individual in my experience.

You may have to alter your dress around the gun if you want to carry on body. It's a reality that even men gotta deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 06-14-2013, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Inside the thigh holster? Of course you gotta watch out for chaffing!

Free county (state) problems! Haha

I wish I could even get the chance to have your problem. Santa Clara county sucks as far as CCW is concerned! Even if I could afford to donate (seems to be one of the only ways to get one) to the liberal lover sheriff's campaign I wouldn't.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2013, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD83 View Post
So,
Even though it's not my ideal carry method, I'm carrying via a gun toten mamas purse. For now it's fine. It does come with added adjustments that one might not face when carrying on the body. Obviously having the bag on my shoulder at all times isn't so wonderful. I have found, luckily it's comfortable to have on my shoulder while shopping, even if pushing a cart and isn't all that big of a deal. Things like getting gas or what to do with my bag at my office have been interesting. At work, I have a locking drawer in my desk. I can just keep my bag locked in there and keep the keys on me. Not ideal if I needed it quickly, but in an office setting, that's the best I can do without it on my person.....hoping to find a different set up. I could always get a tiny 380 and hide that on me fairly easily, but prefer my 9mm Kahr. What are your thoughts? (And guys, I know, you carry on the body, please don't bash me)
Concealed carry can be distilled into three choices.

Concealment, Power, and Attire. We all get to choose two priorities out of three.

In further detail, lets say one picks power and concealment. That means radical modification of one's Attire. That's the path I've chosen, and the most expensive as it means simultaneous overhaul of my closet along with my holster options.

Choosing concealment and attire equates to no modification of one's wardrobe; but this means carrying a classic "mousegun". Thus Power is sacrificed.

Choosing power and attire equates to open carry. A nice, big .45 1911 in an open Yaqui slide holster pretty much denotes this option to a T. No modification of one's attire is needed , because the gun is openly worn. Downside is that concealment is tossed out the window, a major problem for one with a CCW permit.

Your particular circumstances for carry will determine which path is optimal. If your "threat profile" means facing a street thug at 6 feet, sacrificing power isn't a great loss. If your threat profile is being a witness against a heavily armed street gang with a contract on your life, changing the wardrobe may represent the least of your worries. This part only you can determine.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-14-2013, 9:13 PM

No foreseeable street gangs out to get me as of yet. More likely a random crack head desperate to do anything for his next fix.....
Old 06-15-2013, 5:46 AM
Banned

Just because you have a large frame gun, doesn't mean it's not concealable. I carried a G20 (16 rounds of 10mm) for 4 years with the Carry Clip. You do need to be comfortable with appendix carry.

G20 bottom left and G19 and G23 bottom right with carry clip

Old 06-15-2013, 9:11 AM

Depending on your shape and size, something like the 5.11 Tactical holster shirt may be an option. Just be aware that they are designed to fit tight, so you might need a bigger size than you normally would.

Disclaimer: as a guy I really have no idea if this type of carry is compatible with the anatomy of the fairer sex. I just thought I would toss it out there.
Need 22 ammo for your kids to shoot?
Old 06-15-2013, 6:41 PM

thanks guys I sit all day at work, appendix carry seems uncomfortable. But I'd be willing to try it. I've thought about the 5.11 holster shirt. There is a similar female version I may try.
Old 06-18-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Care to elaborate your personal experience on why "Remora holsters are not very good"?
Okay. Holding them up side-by-side, the Sticky is more thin, uses fabrique instead of rubber for the seams, and therefore Sticky does not scuff the finish. Also, its kind of like a peice of rubber that is not as able to form to your body contours like the Sticky; it doesn't appear to break in well.