Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 08-26-2012, 9:51 PM
Banned

Smile where can i shoot

anywhere to shoot in the deserts of SoCal? also is hodge road still ok to shoot rifles there?

im in Los angeles, and i want to take my brother on his first time shooting, i already know about burro canyon, but i want somewhere free. not to far away if possible. please help. thank you

Last edited by kp03a3; 08-27-2012 at 3:06 PM..
Old 08-27-2012, 7:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Free but not too far away. You ask a lot.

BLM land is plentiful, but most of the more convenient land in San Bernardino County is shotgun only. You will need to consult this map to find an area where you are free to shoot rifles and pistols as well as shotguns. Notice that most of the area to the west and south of Barstow is shotgun only.

We go to one of two places. The first is Coyote Lake, about two and a half hours from LA, a dry lake in Sunfair, which is between Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms (shoot into the ridge to the northeast of the lake). Use this link for directions from downtown LA.

Technically, according to the map, this is in the shotgun only part of San Berdoo County, but we saw evidence of decades rifle shooting and were never hassled. Also, some friends of ours were sent there to shoot by sheriff's deputies when they were caught shooting in an unauthorized area nearby.

Another desert location is Stoddard Mountain Road just south of Barstow, just outside the shotgun only area. The part of Hodge Road accessible from I-15 is (I have been told) a mess, with trash and crap left behind by shooters, as well as dangerous shooters themselves. Instead, we approach from the northwestern end of the road, off the old Route 66, as in this map. A lot fewer shooters out there. It's about two hours away from LA.

Folks are usually reluctant to post such precise shooting locations on public forums. A lot of other folks have whined that hiding or protecting shooting areas is elitist or something. But the fact is, any time a shooting area becomes well known the knuckleheads follow soon after, dragging teevees and refrigerators and glass bottles out to shoot, and leaving all their crap behind. No matter how many range cleanups are done, the knuckleheads are back the following weekend with all their trash. You will find a lot of trash out on Coyote Lake, and the southeast end of Hodge/Stoddard Mountain Road is a complete mess. If the gun grabbers need any excuses to prohibit shooting on public lands, all they have to do is carry a video camera out to some of the more popular informal shooting areas. I don't know why they haven't done this yet.

So the right way to shoot on public lands is leave no trace. Clean up all your targets, brass and shotgun husks. Do not shoot at glass.

If you go out with a handful of people, it's amazing how little time it takes everyone to completely clean up the area at the end of the shoot.
Old 08-27-2012, 3:03 PM
Banned

thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 4:00 PM
Banned

Going to Stoddard mountain road this weekend..does any one else have any different information on if this place is ok to shoot??
Old 09-06-2012, 8:41 AM

I go to hodge road about once a month somes times more, i dont like to shoot up againts the first backstop where the cell tower is instead head deeper in mayb 3-4 miles in and get theere just before sunrise.
Its a mess out there but i bring back more than i bring in.
Here is how bad it us there, we usualy only bring steel targets out there and ocational binary explosives(1lb mixed max)

and a spot just past the last one

Becarefulll on those roads in the past 6months ive seen 3 groups shooting accross the main trail. all 3 times i have stopped and told them it was unsafe and they should not be shooting across the roads and can be sited. For some reason they think its safe to just pause so you can countinue on the road.

have fun out there be safe, and dont get the this place shut down and ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 09-06-2012, 9:23 PM
Banned

thanks for the tip, and no worries im a safe and smart shooter. thanks and i appreciate your time in helping me
Old 09-07-2012, 6:26 AM
Vendor/Retailer

That's the southeast end of Hodge/Stoddard Mountain Road. There are a lot fewer people (and less trash) at the other end of the road.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM

i called the BLM Palm Springs office a few weeks ago and was told that pretty much any unincorporated BLM land out there (around the Palm Springs area) is fair game for target shooting, assuming you follow all the guidelines. I was very surprised to hear that since it greatly contradicts what I have read online and been told by other LE agencies.
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.
Old 10-14-2012, 2:49 PM

I live in the sylmar area and a myself and a bunch of friends want to go to the BLM areas and do some shooting, does anyone know of locations that are not too far but not a problem to shoot all types of guns at?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 9:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks for that!

Its really amazing and nice.Thanx for sharing it.