Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-15-2013, 1:15 AM

I don't know how perfect GameStop's model is. No doubt they make a lot of money from reselling used games and systems, but they also have a huge back stock of obsolete/old games. Go to GameStop and check out their inventory of PS2, N64, etc games. So yeah, if the used program is what we think it is with the XBoxOne, it might seriously impact their business and potentially even force them to cut back drastically on their store locations and employees.
Old 06-15-2013, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd oppose the Xbox just on general principle. It would annoy the hell out of me that I'd have to somehow get the system to check in every 24. Some of us actually live lives and don't touch our consoles several days at a time. Now what? I have to leave the stupid thing on racking up my electric bill just to satisfy some asinine DRM requirement? Annoying your customer is not a way to generate excitement for your product. And no, I don't find all the new "features" innovative. The MS presentations certainly hasn't made a case, to me, that I'd be getting anything with their new console that I can't get with alternative technology.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 06-15-2013, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

The xbox is going to be the largest failure of anything gaming related in world history.
Old 06-15-2013, 3:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The xbox is going to be the largest failure of anything gaming related in world history.
Beating out the Dreamcast(piracy bit this one in the ***), 32x, Virtual Boy, Jaguar, 3DO, CDi, and the Neo-Geo home system(seriously, wtf were they thinking with the cost of that thing)? I don't think so. I didn't even list anything obscure in North America, and there's no way the xbox one is going to flop like anything I listed.
Old 06-15-2013, 8:29 PM

I love the Wii U. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the only game I care about anyway. (400+ hours logged since its US release on March 18th says so.)

All of those stupid CQB FPS games are for children (including overgrown ones) that aren't allowed guns in real life.

Are you a member?
Old 06-15-2013, 9:10 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Beating out the Dreamcast(piracy bit this one in the ***), 32x, Virtual Boy, Jaguar, 3DO, CDi, and the Neo-Geo home system(seriously, wtf were they thinking with the cost of that thing)? I don't think so. I didn't even list anything obscure in North America, and there's no way the xbox one is going to flop like anything I listed.
Ahh the memories.......don't forget about the sega cd lol

Sadly I owned the 32x and the 3DO towards the end when The price dropped.
Old 06-15-2013, 9:30 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I frequently don't have internet at home, and it frequently does not work for more than 24 hours at a time, and when it DOES work, it's so ridiculously slow that I can't stream a 6 second 144dpi youtube video without it freezing twice.

I live in the bottom of a canyon, and haven't had my PS3 hooked up to the internet in 3 years.
plz email me when anyone can youtube a 144dpi

Old 06-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Ahh the memories.......don't forget about the sega cd lol

Sadly I owned the 32x and the 3DO towards the end when The price dropped.
Nahh. I didn't forget the sega cd. It was crap(except for sonic cd and a couple other games), but it wasn't Sega's misguided tumor 6 months before the launch of the Saturn in the US like the 32x was(plus the sega cd actually sold a few million units).
Old 06-16-2013, 7:38 AM

I use to be a big gamer not so much anymore. I Gave up on xbox after 2 red rings of death and bought a ps3 and never looked back.
Im so glad The new grand theft auto is coming out soon. It will be The last game I play If and when they make another. Maybe all The bugs will be worked our by then.
Anybody that plays The new xbox is nuts. Wait till The cams get hacked and The vids get posted online. Its going to be great.
Old 06-16-2013, 6:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
Are you that worried abou your smart phone? Your laptop with built in camera? We all already have Internet enabled devices that have this danger.
Why yes I am, I pay attention, and I want my privacy.
Old 06-16-2013, 9:58 PM

If they come out with a new Fallout that's exclusive to XBoxOne, I'm in trouble..... otherwise I'm okay.
Old 06-17-2013, 3:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLawless1 View Post
If they come out with a new Fallout that's exclusive to XBoxOne, I'm in trouble..... otherwise I'm okay.
I assume they are probably going to have a PC version of Fallout 4, even if the console version is xBone exclusive...

With all this check-in crap, it kind of feels like they are not allowing you to don't own the system at all, and are just renting it, while paying full price, along with buying everything retail.

Office 360-xBone.

Last edited by the86d; 06-17-2013 at 5:57 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Most of the arm chair discussions going on is going to be much to do about nothing leading up to the release.

-Always connected devices will be the norm, or already is the norm for the market share that MS wants. Not just console buyers but game buyers. Edit to add, I think this "rule" will be modified some leading up the release. I think MS execs screwed up in explaining why this would not be an issue day-to-day.

-"The Kinect is watching me". This will be sorted out and selected-able for those that want it turned off. Or again, a NON-issue for the market share MS wants.

-Used gamer penalty. This is a byproduct of transitioning to an "All Digital" distribution scheme. It also allows for game companies to sell their product at reduced costs as the game gets older and older. The rules for going all digital will evolve, some companies will open the "give a game" system like Steam has done. I'm sure MS/Sony will have some flavor of this. As for GameStop, screw-um. If the business model is changing they need to react or find a new market it this one dries up! We as consumers should not feel bad for this. Further, their business model was INSANE. They (and companies like them) bought games at a massively low cost and sold them back to the consumer for massively inflated costs. Of course, I have no issue with this and kudos to them for owning that particular market, but I'm not going to lift a finger to help a dieing market (selling used physical media).

-Hardware. This could be an issue. Its going to come down to the third party developers. Sony is doing the right thing by courting them. I've read that to port a PC game to the PS4 is SUPER easy. Which is GREAT. However MS is going to change their processes to better support the devs from the bad PR they got regarding their Live support and patching process. Also, I think the Xbox One will have a better saturation point with literally NO hardware bottleneck issues. The Ps4 might have a supply chain problem due to its advanced memory. Time will tell.

Seriously though, there is alot of people claiming Sony winning against MS and it's just too early to state such a thing. It's basically fanboism to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,

Last edited by Hoshnasi; 06-17-2013 at 7:42 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
I dont have a smart phone or a laptop with a camera. My desktop doesnt even have a camera...lol
Because you choose to remain in the 90's doesn't mean MS shouldn't.

Quote:
The fact is, MS didnt have to do all that. PS4 isnt doing it, so why is microsoft?
So because Sony isn't doing it, MS shouldn't? Don't understand your logic there.

Quote:
Plus, I would have to be logged in to play ANY game. What if I want to play on my boat? I dont have a connection on my boat, so Im screwed. What if I want to bring my xbox one to my cabin with no connection? Screwed again. What if MS has some kind of power outage or malfunction, Screwed again. No offline gameplay, even for NON multiplayer games.

Im not complaining but I will not buy Xbox one, thats for sure. My xbox 360 is more than enough and when I get a new system, it will probably be a PS3 or PS4
You have no camera on your ... but you want to play a game on your boat? Your cabin? Hmmm ... you have, what is called, rhetorical hearing (reading, in this case). Haters gonna be haters.
Old 06-17-2013, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I kind of agree but developers make ****LOAD of cash for their games...

Like I said, developers make hundreds of millions of dollars when they release a new game, depending on its popularity...
This is the falsehood I think most consumers believe.

"Developed make boats loads, I need to be in it for myself."

This is a FALSE understanding of the market. There are major game titles that DO in fact carry a massive market and DO in fact make a boat load of money. The problem is those AAA games also have massive costs to produce. Further, the producing companies also bank-roll OTHER games, most do not pull down boat loads of cash. The reason they bank-roll such games is to hopefully discover the next popular title such as CODBLOPS etc.

Here is an example, THQ one of the big four companies went belly up this year. This happened because of development delays and funding line disruptions. With that said, here is a bread-down of the assets that was sold off:

Quote:
Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War) went to Sega for $26.6 million , with Zenimax Media (owners of id Software and Bethesda) kept as reserve after bidding .3 million less.

Evolve, the new property from Turtle Rock Studios (co-creators of Left 4 Dead) was purchased by Take-Two Interactive, for a long time THQ’s closest competitor in the second tier of US publishers, for $10.894 million. Turtle Rock had perhaps hoped to escape notice, as their game was in its early stages, and had put in a $250,000 bid for the property themselves.

The Homefront IP – based on John Milius’ concept of a United States under occupation – was purchased by Crytek, whose UK division had ben contracted to produce Homefront 2. The $544,218 fee seems low for a banner IP, but Homefront‘s underperformance in the market would have affected the cost: one is buying an IP, but also a considerable marketing challenge.

Publishing rights for South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is preparing for launch on March 5, was purchased by Ubisoft for $3,265,306
THQ Montreal – the first organically-grown (rather than acquired) THQ studio in North America, and its largest, was also purchased by Ubisoft, which already has a significant presence in Montreal. With no titles in the works, this can be seen as an opportunity to acquire a lot of talent relatively cheaply at $2.5 million.

Link to Forbes article

The reality is that companies like GameStop have been making boat-loads of money, yes boat loads more than many game companies by buying low and selling high the intellectual property of others. They are using the dinosaur that is physical media distribution to sell a good that does not degrade or depreciate aside from market need. It's a brilliant cash cow, but it's time is coming to an end. They need to find another market to build towards and FAST.

Quote:
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post
This is the falsehood I think most consumers believe.

"Developed make boats loads, I need to be in it for myself."

This is a FALSE understanding of the market. There are major game titles that DO in fact carry a massive market and DO in fact make a boat load of money. The problem is those AAA games also have massive costs to produce. Further, the producing companies also bank-roll OTHER games, most do not pull down boat loads of cash. The reason they bank-roll such games is to hopefully discover the next popular title such as CODBLOPS etc.

Here is an example, THQ one of the big four companies went belly up this year. This happened because of development delays and funding line disruptions. With that said, here is a bread-down of the assets that was sold off:

Link to Forbes article

The reality is that companies like GameStop have been making boat-loads of money, yes boat loads more than many game companies by buying low and selling high the intellectual property of others. They are using the dinosaur that is physical media distribution to sell a good that does not degrade or depreciate aside from market need. It's a brilliant cash cow, but it's time is coming to an end. They need to find another market to build towards and FAST.

The fact is, designers DO make butt loads of money and now they are upset because game stop is making more than them. Plain and simple. just becuase one company went belly up, doesnt mean that their designers didnt make millions of dollars already and that the company did not profit. Companies go bankrupt all the time and that does not mean that previously, before bankruptcy, that they did not make tons of cash. Going bankrupt doesnt prove anything, except that they went bankrupt. Companies make profit for years and then go bankrupt..

Its just another way for multi-millionaires to make MORE money...Whether its game stop or developers, they both make tens of millions of dollars and they want MORE...

Like I said, I dont have a problem with designers charging royalties for games each time a game is sold and re-sold, but Im not going to pay out of the @$$ again and again, just to make some millionaire more money.

Gamestop and designers are both in it to make CASH. You cant blame gamestop for doing what a FREE MARKET society is supposed to do, and that is profit. Obviously if people had such a problem with game stop, they would not be in business.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 06-17-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The fact is, designers DO make butt loads of money and now they are upset because game stop is making more than them. Plain and simple. just becuase one company went belly up, doesnt mean that their designers didnt make millions of dollars already and that the company did not profit. Companies go bankrupt all the time and that does not mean that previously, before bankruptcy, that they did not make tons of cash. Going bankrupt doesnt prove anything, except that they went bankrupt. Companies make profit for years and then go bankrupt..

Its just another way for multi-millionaires to make MORE money...Whether its game stop or developers, they both make tens of millions of dollars and they want MORE...

Like I said, I dont have a problem with designers charging royalties for games each time a game is sold and re-sold, but Im not going to pay out of the @$$ again and again, just to make some millionaire more money.

Gamestop and designers are both in it to make CASH. You cant blame gamestop for doing what a FREE MARKET society is supposed to do, and that is profit. Obviously if people had such a problem with game stop, they would not be in business.

There are huge costs that go into game development. The same publishers that sell AAA titles often also develop low tier games to try and find the next hit. They often lose money on those ventures. Focusing on the few games that "make it" does at all reflect the games market, which are full of lack-luster titled (in regards to sales) that simply don't pay the bills. Producers have to keep many games in development to keep the "next new thing" coming. Its a hedge against risk that pays off, yes. But is not as much as you think.

The term you're using, "designers" doesn't make much sense. The publishers are the ones who fund development houses to develop the game. Well known publishers are EA, Activision, etc. Those development houses do employ designers, but most are NOT millionaires, only those with a track record of designing popular titles get that kind of pay-offs.

As for GameStop they produce and develop nothing. They are simply the middle man in the process of selling media featuring profitable content from person to person.

As I mentioned in another post, if you get rid of the media, the largest factor on price will be the demand. When the demand drops, the price will drop as well. It will be a better result for the consumers.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2013, 1:46 PM

Looks like Microsoft folded:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
Old 06-19-2013, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
Looks like Microsoft folded:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
There is a thread for that:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=780976
Old 06-19-2013, 2:05 PM

now what can the ms fanboys say?? you guys gonna backpedal too?? haha
Old 06-19-2013, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If they didn't flip flop their crappy system was going to be the biggest gaming release flop of all time. They got outsold on amazon preorder 20 to 1.
Old 06-19-2013, 5:43 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
plz email me when anyone can youtube a 144dpi

Haha, yea, well, sometimes I'm a bit of a technological retard. 144p, or whatever the hell the slowest speed is.
Old 06-19-2013, 7:24 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Default XBOX ONE is sounding terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
If they didn't flip flop their crappy system was going to be the biggest gaming release flop of all time. They got outsold on amazon preorder 20 to 1.
People voted with their wallets and they responded. Now if they would only release a model that doesn't come with kinect.......

A friend sent me this and I thought it was funny lol

Old 06-19-2013, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

I think you guys buying the XBone should just turn the Kinect around and aim it at a picture of a big, hairy azz and play a looping fart-sound 24-7.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-19-2013, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
I think you guys buying the XBone should just turn the Kinect around and aim it at a picture of a big, hairy azz and play a looping fart-sound 24-7.
Point it at a picture of this:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 PM

Glad to hear that XBox pulled their heads out of their butts. Ballsy move to admit when they're wrong and thank the fans for bringing it to their attention.

That said, usually these companies say "We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time" or some such. So, who's to say they don't change their minds again in a year?

Hopefully they won't.....

As Jack Nicholson's Joker said, "Who do ya trust?"
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I cant play my old xbox 360 games on the Xbox One....So Im definitely out.

I see a PS3-4 in my future...

I guess I could always use my old Xbox 360 Slim to play my old games but really, the game series I really enjoy, are mostly on PS...The Xbox One sound cool for some of its features, like automatically ripping all games from disk to play from the HDD and all the nice CPU AND GPU, with a few other things like triple radio WIFI, 500GB HD, but I think I would rather have a PS3-4. I could always use my old xbox 360 to watch HBO GO and Netflix...

So now that the new Xbox One is coming out, will they still make games for 360?

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 06-20-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

http://www.change.org/petitions/xbox...ginal-xbox-one

Wow lol
Old 07-10-2013, 4:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Ermahgerd id-jutz must be signing...
Old 07-13-2013, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know how well the XBone will sell to military folks. That once a day check in will be hard if not impossible in some deployment situations.

The all in one media center is done to death and so far no one has been able to do it. Philips tried it, PS3 was marketed as such, MS tried it in a previous generation of Windows. I think Apple will be the one who will pull it off via one of their isomethings. Consoles are generally perceived as toys.
Old 07-13-2013, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I don't know how well the XBone will sell to military folks. That once a day check in will be hard if not impossible in some deployment situations.
Fixed that for you. Mandatory internet/phone blackoutsts when someone in theater is KIA makes it impossible.
Old 07-13-2013, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

the 24hr check in requirement is gone. MS has removed this stupid idea. thank god
Old 07-13-2013, 9:01 PM

WARNING STRONG LANGUAGE
I think this sums it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1045244_596327323721671_1249102629_n.jpg (84.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-21-2013, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh and apparently your old Xbox 360 headsets will NOT work with the Xbone.

But they will sell you an adapter

PS3 headsets will work with PS4 and the latter will also come with one packed in.

http://www.psu.com/a020219/PS3-wirel...-confirms-Sony