Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-09-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
...lastly, we need to be very careful when it comes to connecting mental health and firearms...people will eventually get railroaded...just get a few state doctors willing to say someone is mentally unfit and POOF, gun rights go right out the window...
This is true as I stated above. Often in a mental evaluation the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (test) is given. I guarantee if you take the test and have three evaluators review it, two of the three would declare that you have mental issues.

Respectfully
Kyle
Old 06-09-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czsp-01-9mm View Post
just saw on the news, he used an "assault weapon" and had 1300 round of ammunition. its just more crap to deal with
The liberal media is wrong I watched the press conference the police said if the mags were fully loaded up it would amount to around 1300 rounds. But most were not loaded, last I checked that would be pretty heavy.
Old 06-09-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenakadino View Post
The liberal media is wrong I watched the press conference the police said if the mags were fully loaded up it would amount to around 1300 rounds. But most were not loaded, last I checked that would be pretty heavy.
So, he was carrying 40+ magazines (assuming they were all 30 rounders).

That's quite a few. Must have had a pretty bulky backpack.

Are you a member?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 PM

very surprised that this isnt all over CA news especially with all the gun control bills on deck...

but then that surprise faded when we learned the shooter is from lebanon, and recently has taken a more radical approach to islam and may have planned to return to the middle east...

and then read that it was a gun "similar to an AR15" yet they show an AR upper reciever....WTF kind of gun was it! edit: ok from the pics it definately looks like an AR15...now the big question, BB or no BB, modified? illegally imported? how was he able to buy the rifle, etc etc......SB47 and 374 just got the ammo they needed..

it doesnt fit into their liberal agenda so they arent reporting on it...now if this was another white kid like holmes or lanza you would have a media frenzy..

Last edited by Mendo223; 06-09-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 1:09 PM

I found some bigger photos (not necessarily higher-resolution, but a bit better than what is being spread around).

Uploaded here:

http://imgur.com/a/zKQyI

and here

http://imgur.com/a/x6CVB

Here are the direct-links to the full resolution images:

1 http://i.imgur.com/vpiXg39.jpg
2 http://i.imgur.com/XCRDPVX.jpg
3 http://i.imgur.com/9c0SbeK.jpg
4 http://i.imgur.com/C53AHtS.jpg
5 http://i.imgur.com/8VmHFCO.jpg
6 http://i.imgur.com/98BfhGu.jpg
7 http://i.imgur.com/TewDHD7.jpg
8 http://i.imgur.com/u3o2xqu.jpg
9 http://i.imgur.com/zY0T1ot.jpg

I also included some other photos I found which were low-res but different angle/view of the evidence

A couple things I found odd:

1) Two pairs of boots, one high-top found near the library by the shopping cart full of recyclables and the mag belt, and a pair of 'low-top' boots pictured near the alleged dead body of the suspect.

10 http://i.imgur.com/dY7TvPi.jpg
11 http://i.imgur.com/QNxg01x.jpg
12 http://i.imgur.com/6kBEgEZ.jpg

Why would there be two pairs of "black tactical boots"? The only explanations I can think of would be that either they came off a victim or they came out of the gym bag but the gym bag didn't seem to be anywhere near them. The high-top boots appear to still be tied, which suggests the suspect wasn't wearing them, as they would probably need to be untied to remove them (and I doubt they would re-tie them after removing them from the suspect).

2) In photo #3 of the gym bag, it looks like there is another handgun in there, at the bottom-right of the bag, what appears to be rear handgun sites. To support a possible additional handgun, in picture #5, near evidence marker #96 there is a handgun-type magazine.

http://i.imgur.com/9c0SbeK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8VmHFCO.jpg

Why is there no mention of this other handgun being used and why is it not on display like the revolver? The handgun-type magazine is obviously not for the revolver. Probably a longshot, but can anyone confirm the model of mystery-handgun by the rear sites and magazine?

Also in photo #3 is shown a PSA lower parts kit which is also seen in evidence photo #8. Again, not sure what significance that would have, if any.

The two pairs of boots isn't as significant as the possible mystery-handgun, but let me know what you guys think. In photo #6, it looks like the flash hider on the spare upper is blind pinned/welded (on top) and, between the 33 mags in the gym bag (photo #4) and the 6 mags in his mag belt (photo #12), that puts it right around the 1300 mark including the 7 boxes of pmc .223 rounds.

ps. please don't 'quote' this post in a reply in case I need to do some ... editing.

Last edited by califrag; 06-09-2013 at 2:25 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 1:21 PM

Pictures:
http://news.yahoo.com/list-santa-mon...030431791.html

Police in Santa Monica, Calif., said that a suspected gunman carried the following weapons, ammunition and equipment during Friday's rampage that left four people dead and several others wounded. The items were found at several crime scenes and many were displayed at a news conference on Saturday.

— AR-15 assault-style rifle.

— Spare upper receiver for an assault-style rifle.

— .44 revolver.

— Duffel bag with magazines that had about 1,300 rounds of ammunition.

— Ballistic vest.

— Knee pads.

___

Source: Santa Monica Police Department.
Old 06-09-2013, 2:02 PM

Not certain it was a black powder revolver. Looks like it was quite possibly a more modern .44 mag revolver. I'm hoping these guns were obtained illegally so that they don't use this incident as an excuse to pass more anti-gun legislation that is on the table.

Last edited by ScottyBear; 06-09-2013 at 2:04 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 2:12 PM

Looks like an old 70's or 80's era CAR-15 upper. Got the A1 rear sight. Also cowboy action pistol. Who's grave did this dude rob.

"Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie
Old 06-09-2013, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is a quote from the latest yahoo report
http://news.yahoo.com/santa-monica-s...193630364.html
"Yahoo In Santa Monica, Calif., the 23-year-old Zawahri killed his father and brother before fatally shooting three other people on the campus of Santa Monica College, stocked with an arsenal of bullets, a handgun, and an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, police say. Zawahri was ultimately killed by law enforcement on the campus. Zawahri's mother, Randa Abdou, is reportedly on a one-month vacation in Lebanon."
It would be good to see more information on the shooter to understand what triggered the shooting besides explanation that the guy was crazy.
Old 06-09-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
I think this was a spare upper he was carrying. They didn't show the weapon he used in the shooting.

A full rifle was visible in a grainy surveillance photo.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...unman-0608.jpg
I don't understand how he can just casually stroll into the library carrying a gun like that. Didn't he know that's a gun free zone?

Well, at least everyone else in there obeyed the law. Things might have gone really bad if someone had the means to shoot back. Other than the police I mean...when they eventually got there.
Old 06-09-2013, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Everything about this made no SENSE!!!

Did you know that they had a "terrorist" drill the day before this shooting?

And ask yourself, who would bring a spare upper receiver to a shooting spree? A Black Powder revolver, are you freaking kidding me?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 PM

^this!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Anyone know if he obtained the weapons legally (obviously the hi-cap mags weren't)? If not, perhaps this could weaken gun control legislation since it would set precedent that even mentally disturbed people can still get a gun.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBear View Post
Anyone know if he obtained the weapons legally (obviously the hi-cap mags weren't)? If not, perhaps this could weaken gun control legislation since it would set precedent that even mentally disturbed people can still get a gun.
I just heard on KFI 640 AM that there was not a serial number on the rifle and it appears the shooter illegally built an "assault weapon". Additional investigations are obviously pending.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:30 PM

Heard the same on KFI. Looking like an 80% home build.

This is going to be interesting to see how they'll try and ban all 80% builds now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
We are surrounded by insanity. We are outnumbered by idiots.

Last edited by 00Medic; 06-11-2013 at 4:34 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 4:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

80% lower oh ****!
Old 06-11-2013, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I hate to say it, but this guy may have been a member here. 80% build, he may have even been to a build party. I'm talking out of my *** here but i think everyone in CA that owns a firearm is a member of this site.

Again no law would have stopped this shooting.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
I hate to say it, but this guy may have been a member here. 80% build, he may have even been to a build party.
thinking the same thing
Quote:
I'm talking out of my *** here but i think everyone in CA that owns a firearm is a member of this site.

Even if powder primers bullets casings LPKs uppers and springs were banned, if he could build an 80% lower, he could build a pressure cooker bomb.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
That's a fact! But just like always, they will ignore all facts and logic and just BAN BAN BAN.
I pray I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
We are surrounded by insanity. We are outnumbered by idiots.
Old 06-11-2013, 5:12 PM

KFI story from other thread

http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/loc...#ixzz2VxZeeFXi
Old 06-11-2013, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

"was likely home-built using parts purchased from a variety of internet vendors," and "was sold as an unregulated, “incomplete,” receiver"

This is an anti's wet dream.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I hate to say it, but this guy may have been a member here. 80% build, he may have even been to a build party. I'm talking out of my *** here but i think everyone in CA that owns a firearm is a member of this site.
None of my shooting buddies have an account on here.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Thats funny.. my girlfriend (gun owner) does not have an account here.. my bestfriend (gun owner) does not have an account here.. I have 3-4 gun owning friends... would you look at that.. they do not have an account on here..hmm pretty bold assumption my friend...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Now this I completely agree with you.. its just another justification for our government to push their gun grabbing agendas!

(sorry if my other post came out rude.. didnt meant to lol more of sarcastic)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Typically as freedom loving people normally do when an "activity or product" is banned, the activity goes "underground" and the product is black marketed. Just one more item to add to the list of offenses to make one a prohibited person---if caught.

Obviously this makes the blip (guns, parts, pictures, etc.) on "their" radar a bit larger.

Respectfully,
Kyle
Old 06-12-2013, 4:13 PM

Will we ever get pictures of this rifle form the investigation? How do we know for sure that he didn't steal it or bought it illegally? Just arbitrarily assuming he made an 80% lower sounds like there is nothing backing this up. Next thing we know is that they will ban or regulate gun accessories or parts.
Old 06-12-2013, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenakadino View Post
Yeah, if we assume that they were all AR mags and all 5.56 rounds, that'd be about 43lbs of just mags and ammo alone. Then, if you count in the weapons themselves, plus the ballistic vest, he'd be lugging around 60+lbs of gear. Not exactly easy to get around on foot with that much stuff.

But the media doesn't care about facts. My bet is that the 1300rds includes the "small cache in the house" that they reported about and then failed to report that the shooter left that ammo behind and no longer had access to it.

Hell, maybe there never was a cache in the house and this is all totally made-up BS. Wouldn't surprise me either...

Last edited by dchang0; 06-12-2013 at 5:34 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
Yeah, if we assume that they were all AR mags and all 5.56 rounds, that'd be about 43lbs of just mags and ammo alone. Then, if you count in the weapons themselves, plus the ballistic vest, he'd be lugging around 60+lbs of gear. Not exactly easy to get around on foot with that much stuff.

But the media doesn't care about facts. My bet is that the 1300rds includes the "small cache in the house" that they reported about and then failed to report that the shooter left that ammo behind and no longer had access to it.

Hell, maybe there never was a cache in the house and this is all totally made-up BS. Wouldn't surprise me either...

This is a pic from previously in the thread. There are 3 rows of 10 or so mags which is say 30. Assume 30 loaded is 900. There is a pic of additional mags at the death scene, so the 1300 is doable just from the pics SMPD posted.

He probably just dropped the duffle bag after he got out of car somewhere.