Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-08-2013, 7:35 PM

Default Zeroing Iron Sight, Advice?

I finally took my new AR 15 to the outdoor range, and my wife and I had a hell of a hard time zeroing our iron sights. The ranges are hot for 30 minutes, and cold for 1 so by the 3rd or 4th try we were out of time. I've got a Troy rear fixed sights with an A2 front using PMC Bronze 223 for ammo. We set the target at 50 yards but my old cheapo binoculars given to me a decade ago couldn't spot anything. I'm thinking of just getting an inexpensive spotting scope (http://www.amazon.com/CO11502-20-60x...I3NJK7413VUG8W
?), but I don't know if this is the right route to take? Should I be doing this another way? Would it make sense to buy a decent $150ish scope, and use that to as a sight or somehow use that to zero in my iron sights? My thought is two birds, one stone. Honestly, not too sure what to do.
Old 06-08-2013, 9:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bring a second rifle with a scope on it and use it to spot the bullet holes from the iron sighted rifle.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-08-2013, 9:01 PM

Buy shoot n c targets for a few bucks.
Old 06-08-2013, 9:04 PM

I only have one rifle unfortunately. This is why I was thinking of buying a scope and essentially using it as a spotter until I made a second rifle. Is this the best route to take in my situation?

As for targets, are those the reactive ones? I'm going to grab a set, they are much easier on the eyes when I was at the pistol range; thanks for that.
Old 06-08-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionGSR View Post
Buy shoot n c targets for a few bucks.
This. Plus have someone spot you so you get real feedback.
Old 06-08-2013, 9:22 PM

Shoot a 10 shot group. Wait till break then swap out a fresh target for yours and measure at leisure. If you need to see try zeroing at 25 yars first.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 06-09-2013, 6:00 AM

Take the upper off pull bolt grp place on bags look down bore adjust sights. Buy spotting scope you'll need one anyway.
Old 06-09-2013, 8:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Bring glass and start at 25m/y
After you get irons dialed in get a compact scope. I recommend this
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

This will allow you to zero once and never adjust again. The reticle does all the work and has proven amazingly accurate. Watch the demo video I am hitting center mass at 700 yards! People say great shooting but all I am doing is holding at 700 and 5mph wind.

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 06-09-2013 at 8:52 AM..
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

OP, are you hitting paper at least?
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
OP, are you hitting paper at least?
Yes and no. There were hits on the paper, but I couldn't see from my binoculars so I don't know when or where hits were in terms of a 3 group shot. A spotting scope would probably help in this.

As far as I know, Burro Canyon doesn't allow targets less than 25 yards at the rifle range. I was hoping to do that and add in one click in elevation to get me to 50 yards, but that was a no go.
Old 06-09-2013, 6:13 PM

I recently sighted my new rifle and these are the steps i followed.

On 25 yards i took one shot aiming at the center and then i saw that the shot was on the paper but to the left and very low.

then I used the sighting tool to make sure that the front sight is aligned. It took me 4 shots to sight on 25 yards. then i moved to 50 yards. On 50 i took 2 shots to see if I am dead center and then moved to 100 yards.
Old 06-09-2013, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

It should be easy to get sighted really. Start out at 25 and see if your on paper. If not you have issues. The rear should be centered and the front should be low as possible. Shoot three shot groups and take your time shooting. Once you know you are on paper move out to 50 and make any adjustments to highth. The trajectory is pretty flat to 100 yards so you should be able to get close. The splater targets work well so use them. I also used an extra scope as a spotting scope lol.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 06-09-2013, 7:45 PM

I see you are in SG. If you go up to Angeles shooting ranges you can rent a spotting scope and buy Shoot n C targets there.

Or if you happen to go on a day that I'm there I'd spot it for you.

Edit - but if you use Shoot N C's, you really don't need a spotting scope at 50 yards. http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Case...ords=shoot+n+c

Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 06-09-2013 at 7:48 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 8:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Get close at 25 then
set your irons for 200 and dial in at 50 yards. 50/200 are very close.

Dimitri
Old 06-09-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionGSR View Post
I see you are in SG. If you go up to Angeles shooting ranges you can rent a spotting scope and buy Shoot n C targets there.

Or if you happen to go on a day that I'm there I'd spot it for you.

Edit - but if you use Shoot N C's, you really don't need a spotting scope at 50 yards. http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Case...ords=shoot+n+c
I didn't know that they rented spotting scopes; I'm definitely going there now. Do you know what the minimum distance you can put targets in the rifle range?
Old 06-09-2013, 9:34 PM

Ive set up a target at 10 yards to pattern a shotgun.

I still think if u just get a few sheets of shoot nc and set up at 25 first u wont need the spotting scope.

Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 06-09-2013 at 9:36 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 3:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Won't immediately aid you in zeroing, but I'd invest in a decent adjustable rear sight. unless your range offers a 300yrd target lane, buy some 36yrd targets that simulate 300yrd. reason being, a bullet follows the same trajectory at 36yrd as it does at 300; which is good for zeroing in the sense you dont have to walk as far down range :P.

i personally advise against 25yrd zero targets. while it can be zero'd just fine at that range, at that point of the bullet's flight (specifically referring to .223/5.56) the bullet has not achieved suitable gyroscopic stabilization which can lead to mixed results. YMMV

BEST ANSWER: Get to a 300yrd range
EASY ANSWER: 25yrd targets will do just fine. Especially for weekend warrior missions
QUICK FIX FOR THE OCD:
If all you have available is 36yrd targets at a 25yrd range , this is the best way I can explain it to get a "rough" 300yrd zero.
put a 36yrd target at the 25yrd line. zero your POI to 0.75" - 1" below Center. That will produce roughly the same results as hitting dead center on a 36yrd target at 36yrd.

p.s using meters and yards interchangeably isnt providing accurate information. while negligable in short distances, it is drastic at long range. 300m = ~328.1yrds; a lot of deviation (in regards to accuracy) can occur over 84.25 feet.

ALL ITEMS FOR SALE ARE FROM NORTH SD COUNTY AND WILL SHIP (EXCEPT AMMO CANS)

$30 - M16 PREBAN Magazines - ***30+ AVAILABLE***
$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Last edited by Germz; 06-10-2013 at 3:44 AM..
Old 06-10-2013, 6:04 AM
Banned

36/300 yard zero is commonly used for 3 gun. It gives about a 10" window out to 350 yards. I keep this chart taped on the butt stock to refer to hold.

Old 06-10-2013, 6:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
Bring glass and start at 25m/y
After you get irons dialed in get a compact scope. I recommend this
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

This will allow you to zero once and never adjust again. The reticle does all the work and has proven amazingly accurate. Watch the demo video I am hitting center mass at 700 yards! People say great shooting but all I am doing is holding at 700 and 5mph wind.

Dimitri
That is really impressive for a $200 scope. What trigger are you running on that AR? I struggle with my $800 Trijicon 3-9 at 600 yards on a full size USPSA target from a sand bagged bench. Where do you shoot 3 gun at?
Old 06-10-2013, 7:34 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought a "Caldwell Lead Sled Solo" from Turner's since it's 35% off for Father's Day. I'm heading to Angeles this Friday, and I'm going to be buying those reactive shooting targets. If I need to, I'll rent a spotting scope too. I'll start at 25 yards, and aim roughly 0.7 inches below dead center which should be dead center for 50 yards using 55 grain 223 ammo.
Old 06-10-2013, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

If you can, use a big target, e.g. 4'x4' board.

Set it at 50 yards.

Take the upper off the lower. Take out the bolt carrier group.

Set the upper on the bench with bags and/or rest and fix the upper so when you look down the bore it is lined up with the target. Adjust your sights. When the sights and bore line are both about on target, slap the upper on the lower, toss in a round and fire. You should be on paper/board. Adjust windage until center. Adjust elevation until center.

Done.

Now you can adjust for longer distance.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 06-10-2013, 8:24 PM

That's a good way to start, especially since I'll probably have to wait until the range goes cold. How flat does the 223 shoot at 50 yards? Can anyone recommend me a good ballistics calculator? Been just using the Winchester general app.
Old 06-10-2013, 8:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raralith View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought a "Caldwell Lead Sled Solo" from Turner's since it's 35% off for Father's Day. I'm heading to Angeles this Friday, and I'm going to be buying those reactive shooting targets. If I need to, I'll rent a spotting scope too. I'll start at 25 yards, and aim roughly 0.7 inches below dead center which should be dead center for 50 yards using 55 grain 223 ammo.
Your verbiage is a little confusing.
You don't aim below dead center to achieve a 50y zero. Aim at the center of the 25y target and adjust your sights until your hits are 1.25" below dead center. Then move to 50y and aim at dead center again and your hits will be close to center. Fine tune from there.
Old 06-10-2013, 8:41 PM

Have you tried one of those laser bore sighters? They can be found on ebay for less than $20. Use that at 25 yards to zero in. Then move to 50 yards and make slight adjustments, continue to move out to desired distance from there.