Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-21-2008, 5:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Ruger Old model (super?) single-six

I just got a line on a single-six convertible for sale, serial number makes it out to be a Super Single Six made in 1970. What's the difference between the Super and the "regular" Single Six models? I may go take a look at it tomorrow morning, anything special to look out for?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-21-2008, 7:59 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

I think the "Super" means it has a fully adjustable (click) rear sight instead of the regular drift adjustable sight.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 04-21-2008, 8:12 PM
Janitors assistant

I was under the impression that every gun made post 73 was a super. These all had the transfer bar. The safest revolvers to carry fully loaded in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2008, 9:41 PM

Cool

Ruger made "Super" Single Sixes from 1964 to 1972. The New Models were made after 1973, but it doesn't appear that they made New Model "Super" Single Sixes at all. This info is from my own serial number research, so I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time ). If Amendment II's post is correct and the only difference is the adjustable rear sight, then I would guess all the New Models were "Supers" since all that I have seen have the adjustable sight.

That being the case, The Super Single Six that is being looked at probably does not have the transfer bar action.

Last edited by Heatseeker; 04-21-2008 at 9:45 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I was under the impression that every gun made post 73 was a super. These all had the transfer bar. The safest revolvers to carry fully loaded in my opinion.
I think what you're referring to is the difference between the "old model" and the "new model" rather than the Super designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseaker
That being the case, The Super Single Six that is being looked at probably does not have the transfer bar action.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm just not that up to speed on these, but got an email about this one (blue finish, 6.5" barrel, 95% condition) being offered today for $300. I've wanted a .22 handgun for a while and I think this might be the one to jump on.

John
Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 PM

I recently got an old model super single six mfg ~65 and I love the thing. I thought the super meant that it came with a .22 wmr conversion cylinder (and steel frame instead of alum) but I could be wrong on that.

New model = transfer bar safety that allows safe carry with all six chambers loaded; however is not true to the original colt-style single action.

Old model = no transfer bar and only safe to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber. The hammer will have the feel of a traditional colt action with a safety notch, half cock notch and full cock notch.

If desired, ruger will convert any old-model revolver to a transfer bar system for free (they will return the original parts for collector value). After shooting mine at the range a couple of times, I've decided to not send it in. I got mine for plinking and fun at the range. If I were going to carry something in the woods on a regular basis, it would be in a caliber larger than .22 anyways.

Mines a 4" bbl with decent finish and I paid $340 for it.

drc
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

You could ask over at www.rugerforum.com for a definitive answer. Good folks, and lots of Ruger expertise.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-22-2008, 1:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Maxicon, I'll be headed over there before too long. Just got back from the shop, and after taking a close look at it I said:

It's a 1970 model in the original box, spare cylinder in the little red felt baggie, adjustable rear sight, and it even has the original warranty registration card with it. It has the 6.5" barrel, blue, adjustable sight, and the spare parts from Ruger after they did the transfer-bar conversion. The guys at the shop conservatively rated it at ~95%, but it's honestly closer to 98-99%! Out the door it's $338, but I still have to wait 30 days before I can do the DROS on it. It was a consignment gun that just came in the door, and hasn't cleared the 30-day wait yet.

John
Old 04-22-2008, 1:29 PM

Not a bad deal at all on an "Old Model" "Super". The Super designation which has been stated earlier means nothing more than having the adjustable sights. The Single-Six is a gun that I personally believe is one of the finest guns of all times and I'll never be without at least one.
Old 04-22-2008, 2:32 PM

Cool

It sounds like you got a nice revolver there!

Having all the goodies that go with it(box, paperwork, original parts and extra cylinder) is a big plus. The shorter barrel boxes are selling in the $50 range on ebay. I just saw a box for a 9 1/2" barrel going for $162.50!

I have an Old Model Magnum(manufactured in 1964) w/6 1/2" barrel and a New Model(manufactured 1990) w/9 1/2" barrel. I really enjoy both of them. I considered trading off the New Model recently, but luckily the trade didn't go through. I just scoped it and am looking forward to going out with it soon.

Enjoy your new toy!!!

Post pics after the wait. BTW, I was able to run the DROS concurrently with the 30 hold on a recent consignment handgun purchase. Maybe you'd be allowed to do the same. It couldn't hurt to ask...

Last edited by Heatseeker; 04-22-2008 at 2:35 PM.. Reason: Added DROS info
Old 04-22-2008, 3:13 PM
Dinosaur

Supers originally came with the extra magnum cylinder...
Old 04-22-2008, 3:49 PM
Janitors assistant

You are gonna love it.
Old 04-22-2008, 6:43 PM
Deplorable by choice.

Location: Close enough to see it but not close enough to smell it.
Smile

I have one and it's a keeper. Look into Bianchi speed loader pouches. One of them, model???, will hold the spare cylinder like it was made for it.

A pocket full of 22lr and a western belt with 22Mag in loops and the spare cylinder will make for a good day in the field.

For a country founded by the average man rising up against an oppressive government, we sure have an obsession about not giving up our guns.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”