Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-18-2008, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Default Eotech vs Bushnell Holosight

Since there's some renewed interest in these right now, I thought I'd pop up the differences between them again.

Here's my updated EvB post:

The Bushnell Holosight and the Eotech use the same holographic technologies, and the Bushnells that look like the Eotech are made in America, in the same plant as the Eotechs. There are 2 styles of Bushnell Holosight now - the Eotech style, and the XLP, which is much more futuristic looking, and is made in Japan. The XLP is physically a completely different design, but still uses the same reticle. From a reticle perspective, there's very little difference between any of them except for max brightness.

Essentially, the Eotech style Bushnell is a pre Rev F Eotech without the hood.

Here are the key differences:

- The Eotech uses their Rev F technology (starting in 2005), which greatly extends battery life and gives a much wider range of reticle brightness, including more brightness at the high end, and has improved buttons. The Bushnells use the pre-Rev F technology still, with shorter battery life and less brightness range. The Rev F Eotechs are marked with an F on the hood, but the hood can be replaced or changed easily, so this isn't always a good indication.

- Battery life:
Eotech N battery version - 200 hours at the 12 (of 20) setting
Eotech AA version - 600 hours (alkaline), 1000 hours (lithium) at the 12 (of 20) setting.
Bushnell N battery version - 40 hours life at the 12 (of 20) setting
Bushnell AAA battery version (XLP) - 100 hours life at the 10 (of 15) setting

There's no data I've found on battery life for the Eotech 553 that uses CR123 batteries, or on the Bushnell AA version.

- The Eotech has a protective hood. The Eotech style Bushnell doesn't, and can't be retrofitted, though the hood is available as a replacement part through Eotech. The hood fits on a set of rails with tapped holes on the Eotech base that aren't there on the Bushnell. Both have encapsulated electronics for recoil and impact resistance. The Bushnell XLP has a hood built in to the design, but is not directly comparable to the Eotech design.

- The 55X models of the Eotech have night vision compatible settings in addition to the regular settings. The 51X Eotechs and the Bushnells don't have this.

- The 55X versions of the Eotech are waterproof to 33 feet, while the 51X versions and the Bushnell are waterproof to 10 feet.

- The Eotechs are available using N or AA batteries, and the new 553 uses CR123 version. The Eotech style Bushnells are available using N batteries, and had an AA version that's not available in their current catalog. The Bushnell XLP models use AAA batteries.

For all of them, if you use lithium batteries, you dramatically increase battery life, especially at low temperatures, but the low battery indication doesn't work with lithium batteries. Note that N batteries aren't generally available in lithium. Also, there have been a number of problems reported with N battery Eotechs draining the battery rapidly, even while off. The conventional wisdom is to use name brand batteries to help avoid this, but there's little hard data on this problem.

Both brands have a 2 year warranty. Bushnell uses the manufacture date to determine the warranty period.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 04-18-2008 at 7:48 AM..
Old 04-18-2008, 9:08 AM

sounds like the Eotech AA version is the one to get. Is there more than one model?
BAK
Old 04-18-2008, 9:59 AM

You will never get the battery life out these sights that the manufactures says you will get. Count on about 1/3 less battery life than what they say you will get. It is the same with the Aimpoint sights also.

maxicon: Good post for those who are looking to buy one of these Holo sights.

GC
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
sounds like the Eotech AA version is the one to get. Is there more than one model?
BAK
There are lots of versions these days, and their website's not always up to date with the latest. They also have different reticles available, so that's a good thing to watch out for too.

Best bet is to go to http://www.eotech-inc.com/ and check out the models. The Products drop-down has multiple categories of sights.

For casual use with AAs, the 512 and 552 are most popular. The 512 is cheapest, is less waterproof (but holds up to bad weather just fine), and isn't NV compatible, though some people say they use it on the lowest setting with no problem. The 552 is the same thing with the NV settings and better waterproofing. After that, you can get the new ones with the side buttons (handy if you're going to use a magnifier), a higher base for lower 1/3 co-witness, and a square shank recoil lug instead of round shank.

I have a 552, but if I were buying today, I'd consider the CR123 version, since that's becoming a standard tactical gear battery. It's a lot more expensive, though.

As for battery life, most people don't get the life they claim, as MAX100 says, but it's still a good metric for comparing models. I'm still waiting for them to publish battery life data on the CR123 models, but I'm thinking it'll be good.

NRA Life Member