Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Default EOTECH clones

Anyone have any experience with EOTECH 551 and 552 clones? Ebay has them for around $89 to $99.

Any info would be nice.

JAY
Old 04-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are no EOTech clones. The EOTech is a holosight, those will be red dots.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Default eotech clones

So what is this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-Red-Green-Do...QQcmdZViewItem

J
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

That is a red dot shaped to look like an eotech. It does not use the holographic technology that the eotech does.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2yaj View Post
A $35 dollar regular red dot housed in an Eotech-ish body. It is either a Holographic Weapon Sight or it's not.

FYI: there was a bacth of special "clones" made a few months ago in Hong Kong (Eotech's are restricted and can't be bought there at all) with actual holographic systems for the reticle. It sold for $400+ and was gone overnight. So if you truly want to buy a real Eotech "clone", it's gonna cost you more than the real thing. Unlike an Aimpoint, the Eotech is not something anyone can truly copy for less than what Eotech charges.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 AM

There is a China made Eotech 551 that is Holographic but they cost $210 shipped. The ones that are not holographic run about $80. You can buy a Bushnell Holographic sight for a little more that comes with a warranty.

The China made AP copies are a steal for what they cost and the performance you get from them. They are very well made for the money.

China Made Eotech 551 Holographic sight copy Link:
http://www.airsoftvanguard.com/index...at0=12&lang=en

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 04-04-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think that's a holosight - I've never seen a holosight with a green laser, and I'd be really, really surprised if the Chinese are making a dual-laser holosight for $200. In addition, it's running on LR44 button cells, which don't really have the current for a dual laser setup and any kind of decent battery life.

I'd bet it's just another dual LED red dot, but I'd have to see one to say for sure. Dunno why it's so expensive - maybe better made, but at that point, you're in used Bushnell Holosight turf.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-04-2008, 2:13 PM

The China Holographic Eotech copy is running on four LR44 batteries or two 1/3N batteries.

You will notice that the $80 Eotech copy on the website doesn't say it is a Holo sight the $210 copy does. It has 20 brightness settings 10 for each color.

I know nothing about them other than what I have read.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 04-04-2008 at 2:18 PM..
Old 04-04-2008, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

max100,

Any thoughts on the ACOG and Leupold clones, especially the G&P brand ones?
Old 04-04-2008, 4:12 PM

I would stay away from them. The are a lot of scopes that are just as good as or better than the Leupold scopes but the $80 China Made Leupold copy is not one of them. They are probably worth what they cost but don't expect them to be close in quality and performance for $80.

The ACOG copy is just a scope that looks like a ACOG.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 04-04-2008 at 4:14 PM..
Old 04-04-2008, 4:30 PM

you get what you pay for! My opinion they are crap!
Old 04-04-2008, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
I would stay away from them. The are a lot of scopes that are just as good as or better than the Leupold scopes but the $80 China Made Leupold copy is not one of them. They are probably worth what they cost but don't expect them to be close in quality and performance for $80.

The ACOG copy is just a scope that looks like a ACOG.

GC
Anyone who's ever looked through the glass of an ACOG can attest to how spectacular they are.

Going back to the EOTech fake, I sincerely doubt it's a holographic sight if it uses 2 colors. Having a holographic grating at one wavelength is expensive, but making it work for 2 wavelengths? It's possible, but wouldn't be easy... I've seen red-dots referred to as holo-sights. My guess is they're using a hologram to create the ring effect, but not at the screen is there a hologram (just a red dot). A hologram in front of a diode can create that sight picture.

2 lasers are pricey, but the technology for 2-color holography? hmmm...

My guess is they aren't doing it the same way as EOTech (read: correctly).

I should say, "Try it out! Waste your money!" I'd love to see one and hear about it.

Who knows, they could have made a miracle.
Old 04-04-2008, 5:41 PM

Case and point BSA Holographic sight sales for around $60 on sale. I wouldn't try one on the China Eotech copies for $210 when a Bushnell can be had for a little more.

GC
Old 04-04-2008, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Spend the extra money and get something that will always work instead of buying crap over and over again.

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 04-04-2008, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

BSA uses the term "holographic" to refer to a tubeless heads-up open frame sight. It's not a true holographic sight, which uses a laser. The BSA is an LED red dot sight, as is the Barska, the ATN, and all the other cheap ones.

It may be a fine point, but technically, that's the case. The cheap Chinese sights aren't holographic, they just use the name.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/history.php
http://www.eotech-inc.com/howto.php

They aren't making 2 color holographic sights, and there aren't any $60 holographic sights. ETA: They certainly could make holographic sights - there's nothing magic about them - but the fact they don't makes me think the cost is too high to do it and sell them cheap enough.

As for the Leupold look-alikes, I have one, and there's no doubt it's much easier to make a decent cheap red dot lookalike than decent cheap magnified optics. The glass on it's not bad, but the assembly quality is mediocre. I've put some rounds under it with no major problems, but honestly, I'd rather use good scopes. With the cost of ammo these days, chasing a wandering zero is way too expensive.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 04-04-2008 at 6:52 PM..
Old 04-05-2008, 1:57 PM

boy, i hate to pee on anyones parade but i bought on of these clones and i'm pretty impressed..ive owned 1 bushnell and 1 eotech in the past and i have to say this projects the reticule just like the more expensive real ones..i bought it for my gsg-5 but went with a smaller reflex instead..the clone i purchased uses 2 aa batteries and functioned great on my AR
Old 04-05-2008, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Which one did you get, and does it have the graininess (laser speckle) in the reticle? I've been assuming they're LED red dot sights, but that's the test to see if it's laser or LED.

There's no reason they can't be making decent sights for the money. The problem, like with all Chinese optics, is finding out through experience (yours or someone else's) which ones are decent, like the 1337tactical Aimpoint look-alikes, and which ones are junk.

Also, is the body aluminum or plastic? It'd be great if you could post pics of the bottom of it, as well.

I'm always up for first-hand info on inexpensive gear.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-05-2008, 9:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd be happy to be wrong... I just have a sneaking suspicion it's more like a BSA "holographic" sight than an EOTech.

Would be cool to see some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post
Which one did you get, and does it have the graininess (laser speckle) in the reticle? I've been assuming they're LED red dot sights, but that's the test to see if it's laser or LED.

There's no reason they can't be making decent sights for the money. The problem, like with all Chinese optics, is finding out through experience (yours or someone else's) which ones are decent, like the 1337tactical Aimpoint look-alikes, and which ones are junk.

Also, is the body aluminum or plastic? It'd be great if you could post pics of the bottom of it, as well.

I'm always up for first-hand info on inexpensive gear.
Old 04-06-2008, 3:12 PM

here are some pics..your right..it does not have the fuzziness of a real eotech..but this is $85.00 the reticule is very sharp...excuse the pics..its a all metal body, it looks good and so far it holds zero..i wouldnt trust my life to it..but then again i'm not at war

Old 04-06-2008, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the pics...

It looks like it's a "holographic sight" the same way the BSA ones are...

That reticle is also much smaller, which leads me to believe it's that, as well... for comparison:

VS
Old 04-07-2008, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty close copy visually, and with 2 AAs, the battery life should be better than the red dots with button cells. Again, as a red dot that looks like an Eotech, it may be fine.

If it holds up well, it should be OK for the money. Having the hood seems like it would help protect it against drops and such better than the less expensive red dots, and it'll mount as is on a standard flat top rail.

Here's the same bottom shot of a regular Eotech:

NRA Life Member
Old 04-07-2008, 3:13 PM

Try dipping it in some water to test for water proofness please.
Old 04-07-2008, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPen View Post
Try dipping it in some water to test for water proofness please.
roflmao!
Old 04-08-2008, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

You can check whether it's copied the basic waterproofing in the design by popping out the battery compartment and checking where it seals against the sight body. On the Eotech, it's got a gasket that the battery compartment compresses against.

That won't tell you if the rest of the sight is waterproof, but if it doesn't have a seal there, it's not even worth trying the dunk test.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Can't compare them. THe copies are like you say, Not water proof plus they will fall apart after you shoot real ammunition through your gun. The internals are just not made to take the stress of real ammo fire. I was one who was cheap and stupid enough to try.

Last edited by zemperfi1971; 04-12-2008 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: can't spell worth &&^*^*h
Old 04-17-2008, 1:54 PM

I've heard of CLONEPOINTS and FACOGS. I'd like to be the first to coin the term CHEAP-O-TECH!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Wow there is even a fakey with the aimpoint logo printed on it. I think they went too far, by printing the original manufacturers logo. Clones and replicas are fine. But cloning and not changing the name? In my opinion, we should'nt even buy these in respect to the real manufacturers. Why should we buy and support the pirates? Cause we're broke/on a budget and want the real thing, but dont have the dough? Most likely, unless you want the replica look for your airsoft/paintball guns. Just save for the real thing. It's the r&d, hundreds of hours of testing, trouble shooting, revising,etc. to ensure consistency, reliability and durability. Yes, the original manufacturers made lots of $money$ off of govt. contracts and strong L.E. and civilian sales, but its still not right. This is just my opinion. Being a parts manufacturer myself, I know how it feels to be in a similar situation of products being cloned.
http://www.airsoftvanguard.com/index...at0=12&lang=en