Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-26-2013, 1:39 PM

Default Suggested Safety Mod - Mesa Urbino Tactical Stock (Benelli M4)

Although I expect this is not too likely of an injury I do suggest anyone with this stock take 10 minutes to do this quick safety modification.

If you have an M4 and dont like the LOP or the lack of adjutability for optics I do encourage you to check out this stock, it's a really nice modification.

I was at the range shooting the Benelli M4 last week. I've grown quite fond of slugs at 50 yards and can easily hit some good head and body shots on paper at 50. I use an Aimpoint micro and helps me be a lot more accurate with the gun. However, I wanted to make sure my irons were also sighted in. The Mesa Tactical Urbino stock has a great adjustable cheek riser that puts ones cheek weld right on the money when using such an optic. To switch to irons is tough because they are so low on the M4 (pretty well right on top of the barrel - like most shotguns). I pulled the Aimpoint off (QD lever) and could not get my head low enough due to the rise of the cheek riser. I kept moving my head back since that also allows your head to drop. It certainly was not an ideal shooting position. In retrospect thinking I could actually shoot it with the irons with the cheek riser was a bit dense. Once I got my cheek to the end of the stock I took a couple shots. It hurt my cheek a bit but didn't think much of it. Shortly thereafter my buddy said, "hey you are bleeding". The cheek riser also had blood on it. The cheek riser ends with a wedge shaped angle that is quite sharp and it just notched right into my cheek. Luckily it was nowhere close to needing stitches. I wiped myself and the gun off and took the riser off entirely. Well to say the sight picture and cheek/head position improved would be an understatement. I was about 1 click off with the irons. Putting the Aimpoint back on gave a solid rezero with no adjustments.

When back at home I used some 120 and 220 grit (carbide) sand paper and generously took the sharp edge off of the entire curve it ran along. I simply rounded it off as opposed to trying to put a flat fillet. I pressed it to my cheek and pushed it back like recoil to verify my work and concluded that it is not simply not possible now to get injured from this area. Even though you would not want to switch from optic to irons without removing the cheek riser entirely, you may just happen to have to do so as some point. Lastly this edge was sharp enough it could have injured a finger or some other body part if any significant pressure was applied. It appears to be a small oversight and I will communicate this to Mesa Tactical

The picture below shows the exact area where the sanding was required. The material of the riser sands wonderfully since it is already somewhat coarsely finished and you can't even tell it was worked on.

Old 05-28-2013, 9:33 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thank you for the thoughtful post.

In fact, that aspect of the cheek riser design was rather hastily completed (just add a big radius, done!) and we have been contemplating a redesign for some time. Not so much for safety as for aesthetics, and the ability to offer shorter risers for future applications. But your post raises an ergonomics issue we will be sure to consider when working on the redesign.

In the meantime, to be perfectly frank, the riser redesign is not a high priority at the moment, and so it will be some months before it appears.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM

I emailed the same to you Mitch. Thanks for the reply. Glad I could offer a useful tip. Just to be clear this is a wonderful stock and I enthusiastically recommend it to others.