Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default Magpul UBR -

Thought I would share in case anyone is on the fence like I was about putting a Magpul UBR stock on their AR platform rifle. Ive wanted one since I saw it on a 20" rifle years ago, never could justify the price but finally grabbed one up off a fellow calgunner, and Im glad I did.

Pros:

-Looks (opinion, obviously)
-Sturdy - lockout in the different positions are positive and the entire construction is beef
-Consistent cheek weld
-QD points (2) - I was complacent about this as I use a 1 point sling for this rifle, and this stock gets rid of the end plate entirely, which I used for my sling attachment point.
-Storage window - cool little feature, I tried putting extra batteries for my EOTech, a BB tool and a dummy round in there, which leads to the cons -

Cons:

-The storage window is neat, but it is noisy when you put stuff in there. I tried the things I mentioned above, all of which rattled around inside more than I could stand. I thought about putting the items into a little bag or wrapping them in some foam, but the time it would take to get said items free wouldn't be justifiable to not just keep them elsewhere.
-Sturdy (more-so the heft aspect) - this thing adds considerable weight to the tail end vs. the MOE stock I had on before. Not a problem for myself, I actually find it comfortable.

Here's what I started with:

Comparing the MOE and the UBR both fully extended:

UBR fully collapsed, windows installed and closed:

How she currently sits:

I removed the windows (and put them in a baggy with their screws and the corresponding allen wrench, and placed said baggy into this rifle's bag) and wrapped about 5' of 550 cord on the stock for good measure. I like the look of it, and it provides a nice little handle when shooting from a rest.

Upon showing a friend the change with the paracord and explaining about how the little window rattled with goodies inside, he suggested very blatantly, "Why don't you just roll up like 100' of cord and put it inside?"

Old 05-20-2013, 4:17 PM

Hate ubr and prs. Way to heavy. I don't even like my sopmod anymore. I much prefer moe/ctr
Old 05-20-2013, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnorcal View Post
Hate ubr and prs. Way to heavy. I don't even like my sopmod anymore. I much prefer moe/ctr
There you have it: some feel the weight is too much. I like it, I like the balance to offset the handguard and it feels easier to pull it into my shoulder from the low ready
Old 05-20-2013, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Love mine. But that one was built for tables and prone shooting. It's a little heavy for shooting offhand and free standing.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:58 PM

I love the UBR's as well. But I am down to just 1 on my MWSE now.

Old 05-20-2013, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Love mine. But that one was built for tables and prone shooting. It's a little heavy for shooting offhand and free standing.

Nice rifle. I don't mind the weight shooting offhand(which I use this gun for 99% of the time). Could be my powerlifting meathead mentality
Old 05-20-2013, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
Nice rifle. I don't mind the weight shooting offhand(which I use this gun for 99% of the time). Could be my powerlifting meathead mentality
Deadlift and squat are my game, I just don't like it when trying to hold steady hitting small targets far away since the thing weighs more than 12 or 13 lbs with a full mag.

Without the bipod though, the weight is pretty manageable.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:49 PM

I'm a fan of the UBR stock although they are a bit on the heavy side. They have a nice look to them and are great for balancing a front-heavy rifle. I have one on a rifle with a 12" rail which helps even out the weight.

On my standard set-up rifles, I prefer the CTR and the STR stocks. Not much of fan on the ACS stocks...going to replace it with another STR or try the LaRue RAT stock. Liked the SOPMOD but sold it - didn't like the thickness and weight with the set-up I was building.