Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-24-2013, 9:45 PM

Default home defense/safety with children underfoot

Are there any good sites/resources for home safety & protection for moms when dad is not around? Sorry if that sounds patriarchal. I'm just not as familiar with this stuff as he is, and I just saw the motion detector lights go on (and now I keep hearing noises) so I thought, might be a good time to brush up so as to be prepared.

The important consideration, I guess, is that the 'valuables' to be protected and not accidentally tripped over by erstwhile burglars are little people who move around and grab things (much like the burglars.)
Old 03-24-2013, 9:46 PM

For example...what to do while we're all sleeping....
Old 03-27-2013, 5:02 AM
Calguns Addict

In my estimation, a trip to Gunsite Academy is on order-not for the husband, but for you!

Here's why. Home burglars have caught wise to the times. The classic Hollywood image of the scumbag breaking in at night is obsolete. Bad guys realize most families are out of the house during the day because of work.

Unfortunately, this means the person most likely to face armed degenerates won't be the big burly Man of The House.

As such, an expert course on combat pistol shooting is in order. I don't have kids, but were I a parent id ensure their safety is 100% assured, especially when I'm not around.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM

If you mean owning and handling a handgun or shotgun safely, sign up for a handgun safety class in your area. They will also give you sound advice on how to have a handgun available to you, but not your children. If you google " gun safety class " and your town, you'll get several choices.

First, you make a plan: Step one- insure everything you have of value and put sentimental items in a safe or locked closet. Step 2: If an intruder comes in or acts like he's trying to get into your house, like grab the gun, grab the kids, get into the bathroom or basement and wait with your back to a wall (til he leaves or comes at you). Yes, let him take anything that's there, other than you or your kids. Note that there are rules about when you can shoot an intruder and you need to read up on that. But it will be covered in your safety class.

IMNSHO, shotguns are better for home defense (it's really hard to miss) but harder to keep handy. The purpose of a handgun in home defense is to fight your way to your shotgun. (OK, bring it on ladies, I'm sure there's tons of different opinions on this)

If you want to know about home safety other than owning, securing and using guns, you are probably not in the right forum.

But ask away. Most of us got into the shooting sports via the home defense route and learned to love it as a hobby. You may or may not, but you must be competent with a weapon, meaning you practice regularly, or you shouldn't have it.

And BTW, daytime burglaries are the main type now, because burglars think houses will be empty. Don't feel weak because you know your man will not be there to save you, sometimes. Be a Momma Bear, and protect yourself and your kids whether he's there or not. Two armed parents are better than none.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-28-2013, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
And BTW, daytime burglaries are the main type now, because burglars think houses will be empty. Don't feel weak because you know your man will not be there to save you, sometimes. Be a Momma Bear, and protect yourself and your kids whether he's there or not. Two armed parents are better than none.
Well put. Her entire post is spot on. I am quoting this section for truth.

The firearm is a force equalizer.
Doesn't matter if it's in the hands of little ol' gramma or a NFL linebacker, they are equally as effective. That's the point.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-28-2013, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Moma guppies eat their babies. MoMa bears eat those who threaten their babies. Which one are you?
Old 03-29-2013, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
...IMNSHO, shotguns are better for home defense (it's really hard to miss) but harder to keep handy. The purpose of a handgun in home defense is to fight your way to your shotgun. (OK, bring it on ladies, I'm sure there's tons of different opinions on this)...
Let's not get all "Biden-COOKOO" on shotguns...

I understand that typically spread is about 1" per yard of pellet travel (general rule) so at say 7 YD it would be a 7" spread, right? For 7yd, I would have to be pointing the thing down the stairs and an attacker would have to be at the bottom of them for even a 7" spread, I would guess it would typically even be closer if she were locked in a small room, or closet.

Personally I prefer my lady to have a semi-auto handgun (due to more distance from barrel-crown to attacker's hands, and less surface-area for a gun-grab), as that would be harder to take from her... with 10(+) rounds (defiantly not a pump-action @5-7).

Correct me if I am wrong.

More perfect practice... makes perfect. I usually take the lady, and my son to the range at least every 2 months minimum, as my daughter isn't old enough yet.
Old 03-29-2013, 4:55 AM

I don't know of any specific resources to point you towards. My wife and I just asked a lot of questions of people who know more than we do.

Surface mounted door alarms are a good option for when you're sleeping. We use these until we bought our first house.

These days, we have a whole house alarm with a "stay" function that we can set. Any perimeter doors open, the keypad in our room beeps, 20 seconds later the while neighborhood will be awake and the alarm company is calling.

I also have a camera pointed at the front door and side gate that I can view with my iPhone. Helps to see what's happening when the dog is barking, etc.

Come up with a code word for a condition red, develop an escape plan, and practice it. Teach your kids exactly what to do.

... And if you're going to keep a gun on standby, by all means get trained. Someone mentioned Frontsight. Great outfit.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Home alarm option, cameras, range time with hubby or without. A gun safety class is a must.

Sometimes we are forced to rely on our own abilities the stronger they are the stronger you are
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Keep them locked up. I'm thankful that I grew up not knowing the combination to the safe in our house. I loved to experiment and I burnt a lot of things down before I knew to respect fire, I'm glad I didn't have to learn that with firearms.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I definitely agree with taking a course, and practice. Frontsight in Vegas has good instructors. Bonnie has good advice, kids, safe area, and worry about stuff after. Keep what you can locked up, and keep a gun THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO USE locked, but accessible. When I was living with my family, and my much younger siblings, as well trained as they were, I used a microvault that was hidden and bolted, but close by and accessible. They only keys were kept on me. Even though something may not be your hobby, it is still a tool and your right to be able to protect you and your family.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.