Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you, but thanks for posting; I think it's a great idea for us CalGunners keep a list of stolen guns in the area, so that, at the very least, we don't end up buying one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris092183 View Post
Did the cops get any fingerprints, evidence?
As a business owner who had a rash of stolen trucks I can tell you the cops aren't interested in 'cracking the case', they'll write their report and tell you to call your insurance company, but there will be no CSI guys combing the apartment for clues...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM

that sucks thank god we have police to prevent these mishaps.just kidding.
id check CL,and all local pawn shops.also if they took anything else like tv or camera look for those they will be easier to find.keep an eye out for people around you who seem to concerned,chances are it wasnt random
Old 03-23-2013, 3:41 PM

I hope you at least get a few of your possessions back man and someone gets held responsible, I've been robed twice, once in person once when I wasn't there and its messes with your psyche for a while having your personal space invaded like that. It was more than likely somebody you know or someone who knows you.best of luck
Old 03-23-2013, 3:59 PM

Default Wow, sorry, will print the OP and keep a lookout

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I just knew someone was going to come on and preach at you- and like someone else responded... they probably weren't hugged as a kid.

Safes are not always a deterrent. In fact during a rash of 25 home burglaries in the East Bay (NorCal) where I live 4 homes that were hit belong to law enforcement. Each had safes. Each lost guns. One guy had a big safe that held among other things 5 ar15's. The thieves took it to an unused parking lot nearby and smashed the thing to pieces. Unless your safe weighs several thousand pounds is bolted to the floor and the wall and is down stairs in the basement, there are few safes crooks can't steal. And it doesn't take too much creativity to open them.

A lot of us have been in the very same position you were- time, money, etc. can't all work out perfectly and sometimes our guns are at risk for a bit. We do that when we go to the range, or whatever.

Someone else on this site said to go back through your brain and figure out who you know or who might have seen you with these firearms, most investigators I know (I worked for a police dept for a number of years) start there. Everything you mentioned is what druggies look for a quick fence for their next dose.

Again, sorry man, we all do feel for you and this does help as a reminder to be more vigilant in all things.
Old 03-25-2013, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcounty View Post
Who knew you had the guns there? I dont believe in random.
I wonder if the bad guy didn't have the evil eye for your collection long before the theft. I think this because you were hit when your security was down. If the thief knew you, he would have known the safe was left behind, where you moved to, and that it wouldn't be too long before you got a new safe. The perp knew it was time to act ..if this wasn't random. Ok, enuf of the Dick Tracy stuff, I'll check the local pawn shops for ya.

BTW, the about the victim's responsibility: Better to be proactive than remain silent in shame. Silence only makes things worse. This victim has the guts to 'fess up and swallow some pride. Then he asked for some slack, so cut him some.

Last edited by gordon freeman; 03-25-2013 at 5:24 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRider19 View Post
They did take electronics too. Watches, money, ipad, phone chargers, ipod, sunglasses, wallets. They certainly got some good stuff, but also left a lot of things I was surprised about. It provides at least a minor way to laugh at the scum bags knowing just how much they left behind that was much more valuable. If they decide to come back for more, which I wouldn't be too surprised if they did, they will find a near empty apartment now with one pissed off resident who still has a few tools left in the toolshed...
Smells like a setup...
Old 03-26-2013, 8:19 AM

Thank you all who have posted constructive, helpful, or supportive statements. I do appreciate the support. Only two people knew I had guns at my apartment, and only a few close family members (all of whom I am very close with) knew exactly where I lived, so it is perplexing as to whom it could have been. I have had a number of dealings with Calguns.net members over the last few months, however met at distant locations and almost all have had good feedback (none with bad feedback). Since the robbery, the remaining items of value have been moved to an offsite storage facility, away from my apartment. I have a safe now which is installed and storing said items.
Reports have been sent to local PD and ATF. Hoping to have a few of them turn up but not holding my breath. In the scheme of things they are not as significant as health, life, and family. Luckily none of those were taken from me or anyone else when this occurred.
Old 03-26-2013, 3:18 PM

You might get some of it back. My loser nephew stole a revolver( the ONE thing not in my safe) from me and pawned it to one of his loser tweaker friends. I figured it was gone forever. I got it back last year. The screwed part was the OC Sheriffs had it over a year before they notified me it had been recovered. As for Shooter5....must be nice to have lived such a spotless life.
I bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Old 03-28-2013, 9:13 AM

This makes me sick to hear brother. Sorry for your loss.
I hope LE finds the douchebags.

Let this just reiterate the fact a safe is 100% necessary and that people you don't trust 100% should never know your list.
Old 03-28-2013, 9:58 AM

Man that sucks...
Old 03-29-2013, 5:41 PM

Very sorry too about your large loss. Saw some wise info & advice from other members along with that from a couple holier than thou's.

You might also consider notifying LE across the border in AZ & NV where they might be peddled a bit more freely without all the hassles we go thru here in CA. Just a thought as well as pawn shops & such there. Pretty hard to cover everywhere but maybe there is some sort of APB type info via the police or ATF for nearby states.

There are also some other auction houses online such as www.gunauction.com

I don't have any idea what kind, if any, rules they have for selling actual firearms. I think you do have to register somehow with the site in order to sell but it might also be one of a number of sites you could check into. Someone also mentioned www.gunbroker.com

At any rate, good luck. Other than the handguns, they don't sound like the type of guns that will be sold on some street corner in Watts.

All the best.
Old 03-30-2013, 4:23 PM

Gotta say.
1. Love the picture
2. Great way to shut the guy up. I looked back for his post and couldn't find it, guess it was deleted. When I was looking for the best brand safe for myself I looked all over the glorious world of Youtube, and like guns have there torture tests, so do safes. Some are very easily broken into, where if anyone is determined anything can happen. Great response, my hat's off to you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
and if he had a safe that was broken into, then what? they're not impenetrable. but you seem like the classy sort of gent who likes to blame the victim of a real crime for your imagined future persecution at the hands of those evil "jerkoff libs" and then say it's "nothing personal".
i bet you're a real hit at parties.
why are you so mad? not hugged enough as a child?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Man that sucks, I hope you recover your lost firearms AND get a conviction on those pos a**holes who stole your property.

**I am not saying you did this, but to others that have done this**

I had stuck my NRA membership sticker on my Apartment window, then thought about that for about a day and removed it.

Reason being, that to me was saying "hey criminals who want some guns, come and rob me when I leave"

Gotta watch out how you represent yourself, especially in Apartment buildings.
Old 04-02-2013, 1:57 AM

Sorry about your loss bro. I live in the nearby area, and appreciate the heads up.

Any idea as to what time of day the break in occurred? Any info from neighbors? Ask them if anyone happened to be going door to door selling anything on that day? Unfortunately my neighborhood is very familiar with break ins, I've intervened in three- one of which was happening at my own place and two that were taking place at my neighbors. I noticed that they're starting to prefer the daytime more...going door to door knocking, if someone answers they pretend to sell something/some b.s., if no ones home they make their way in. Also one group I caught had been through the neighborhood the day before, cruising. See what you can pick up on your own man, and good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM

SUCKS!!! Happened to me a couple years ago too. I feel ya brother. At least you had serial numbers, the crooks took the computer I had all my serials on and DOJ was ZERO help in getting the nembers....

Good Luck!
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 04-02-2013, 4:56 PM

I am always surprised when other Calguners list all their collection at the bottom of their signature. All someone has to do is buy from or sell you something and get your address. If they are lucky you are not home cleaning a 45 and they swipe your stash.

My condolences and hope these guys what's coming to them.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM

In classified dealings use a PO Box - it is cheap and a good idea for many reasons.
It sounds like the OP just moved in, very likely he was watched moving in, rifle cases are very distinctive. Most thieves are simply opportunistic.

Good luck - be sure to notify Law Enforcement of the serial numbers, I had two stolen handguns returned after three years.

Pit.
Old 04-07-2013, 3:17 PM

One of my M1 Garands was just found. Not going to disclose too much information as it is part of an ongoing investigation, however I just got a call from a really nice deputy from a PD that one of them has been recovered. Hopefully the start to some more good news. Just wanted to say thank you again to all of you who have been kind to me, either with words or helping me get the word out to various agencies regarding the theft of my firearms. It is greatly appreciated and I will continue to keep this posting informed of developments!
Old 04-07-2013, 3:52 PM

Good news good news hope they catch this lowlifes
Old 04-08-2013, 8:23 PM

Sorry to hear...........Good luck with the hunt.
Old 04-08-2013, 8:38 PM

I hope they die
Old 04-09-2013, 9:57 PM

Man.. def sorry to hear that! I live in the same area and am worried about the same thing happening to me. Hope you find who did this!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM

The reason why these criminals are so brazen in California now is because LE can't keep anyone in jail due to the Governor's Realignment / AB109 plan. Get educated on it and get involved. Go to www.demandpublicsafety.com

also, if you have Facebook, search "AB109 shaming" and share the pictures to get the word out:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AB...585847?fref=ts

Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 PM

Old 04-18-2013, 2:27 AM

my father had a semiauto S&W shotgun stolen from our house in 1986.....Sooooo 1993 rolls around, and we get a call from SFPD saying they found it in the trunk of a car....got it back 8 years later
Old 04-18-2013, 8:05 AM

Despite the 8 year wait, that is great news to hear that he eventually got it back. Hopefully I have similar luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 3:20 PM

You might want to list them here:
http://www.hotgunz.com/
Hope you get the rest of them back. My family had 11 guns stolen in the 60's and we never recovered a one.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:03 AM

Condolences, there seems to be a rash of this sort of thing lately, here in the Palm Springs area, two come to mind, one friend lost a Glock 21 & a WWII German Luger in it's orig holster, he was letting an aquaintance stay @ his apt. for a few days, as the guy was down on his luck, the 3rd day he was there his guns disappeared & the guy split. another friend lost over twenty weapons when his home was broken into & they jacked his entire safe, probably weighed in excess of 800 lbs.so you know there was more than one thief. sick basturds
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Sorry for your loss I had a break in a year ago and they caught the guys with my gun on a traffic stop 6 months later.
Old 04-21-2013, 2:37 PM

Safes only keep kids and honest people out. Never put it past a criminal. I heard on the news that some gun thieves have been caught. Did not her about where they were, only that a large qty of stolen guns were recovered. I hope you get them back!
Old 04-28-2013, 7:58 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Burglars and thieves are the lowest form of life on earth. Some of these supposedly third world countries have a better idea on how to handle thieves than we do in our faux-enlightened feel good BS hug a thug society.

As one wise man once said about burglars: "I just hope I am at home when they come"
Old 05-03-2013, 9:14 AM

I HATE THIEVES!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 5:03 PM

Damn tweaker scums... hopefully they'll break into the wrong house and be greeted with a double tap to the thoracic cavity!
Old 05-03-2013, 9:37 PM

Damn, sorry for the loss. I had a break in last year. I was home... they ran away - FAST
Old 05-07-2013, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the Garand! I hope they get the rest.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I live in a college town and break ins are unfortunately a somewhat common occurrence. I live a little farther away from campus and haven't had any trouble in my apartment but I still try to lock up as much as possible when I'm not home. I know determined thieves can get through anything but I try to lock up as much as possible when I'm not home. If you don't mind sharing, how did they get into your place?

Also, for people that can't afford a safe, has anyone made a locking rack that can be secured to the floor/wall to keep their firearms more secure? With some steel and a welder you could make a decent rack that could hold ~5 rifles and fit in the back of the closet.
Old 05-15-2013, 9:21 PM

Surfrider,

Best of luck on the continued recovery. Hopefully more will turn up and they'll catch the SOB's and lock 'em up. Hopefully for a long while.

PA
Old 07-08-2013, 1:54 AM

Default Had my house broken into and pistol taken, please BOLO for an SR22

In a case of the worst timing ever...some odd events over the past few days led me to take my Ruger SR22 out of the safe and put it in the nightstand last night. Every single other time I've taken something out of the safe, I've put it back. For whatever reason, I didn't this time when I left this afternoon to visit a friend. (as I'm already dealing with enough trauma, I'd appreciate it if the chastising could be kept to a minimum). Anyway, I was out of the house for about 9 hours. When I returned, I found my place in shambles, with just about anything that was in a drawer, was now dumped out on the floor. Needless to say, the pistol in the nightstand was gone.

Aside from that, nothing was taken. My laptop was in plain site. My tivo and playstation were as well. In the course of going through a set of drawers, they removed a brand new digital camera and placed it on the bed. In other words, there were plenty of opportunities to grab profitable items, but they didn't.

I'm more than a little freaked out by this. Next to nobody except a couple of my closest friends even know that I own a handgun - and none of them know that circumstances led me to take it out of the safe. The cops are simply chalking it up to bad luck/timing, but the situation has me more than a bit freaked out.

Sorry to ramble. But I just wanted to get it out there in case they come here trying to sell it. And to ask if there is anything more I should be doing, aside from reporting it to the cops?

Thanks,
TGD
Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Sucks! I HATE thieves! both mine and my friends house were broken into within one week! they stole over 20 grand of items. luckily both of us have quality safe's and while they tried to get into them, they failed.
my condolences go out to you and hope those bastards get caught and convicted to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 07-09-2013, 1:05 PM

Dam, thieves! Theres no room in this world for em!