Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Default .50cal optics

I am a new shooter for a .50cal, planning to shoot 1000 yds and beyond if possible. What kind of good scope and mounting rings do I need?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

NightForce seems to be the go-to for 50's.

You'll need serious rings. Badger makes some of the best.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM

+1 for nightforce. I recently sold mine and it was very durable. They are expensive though so be prepared. Plan on spending around $1800 for scope, rings and base.

Brandon M.
Old 04-09-2008, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've got NXSes on both my 50s. But, there are other good options as well. Whatever you do DO NOT get an ATN! If you want to go cheap, try a Super Sniper otherwise, get a NXS or a MK4. Also, join the FCSA! If you're not doing anything April 18-20, feel free to bring your 50 and at least 60 rounds of ammo to a FCSA match in Reno. PM me for details.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Is it because they have some kind of extended eye relief to deal with the recoil?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

It really matters what type of .50 you out it on.
My AR-50 has less recoil than many of the lighter rifles out there.
I am embarrassed to admit I have been running a $100 Simmons on my AR-50 for several years now, it hasn't gotten any worse from the abuse. The eye relief sucks, but I have never been nailed by it.
Old 04-11-2008, 1:05 PM

Eye relief is another thing to consider when buying for a .50, you need at least 3" min. to be safe. Anything less and you stand the chance of getting scope eyed or someone else that trys out your .50 might get it.

We're shooting at Angeles Range on the 20th if you want to come out and take a look at some of the optics guys are running. I have a Nightforce on my AR-50 with Leupold Mk-IV rings, scope is still in place after all these years.
Old 04-11-2008, 2:02 PM

US Optics, quality stuff, local (Brea), scope built to order, great people on top of it all.
Old 04-11-2008, 5:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
It really matters what type of .50 you out it on.
My AR-50 has less recoil than many of the lighter rifles out there.
I am embarrassed to admit I have been running a $100 Simmons on my AR-50 for several years now, it hasn't gotten any worse from the abuse. The eye relief sucks, but I have never been nailed by it.
It's true that AR50s have less percieved recoil than most other 50s. This is due to the muzzle brake being more efficient and pulling the gun forward as it directs the muzzle gases to the rear. This is the reason that 50s are hard on optics. Most scopes are designed to handle recoil but not the reverse recoil (if you will) that muzzle brakes create. This means that an AR50 is harder on scopes than a 50 with a less efficient MB and more precieved recoil. I happen to have NXSes on my AR50 and my ALS but, I know several people that have had good luck mounting cheap scopes on their 50s. With cheap scopes, it comes down to luck of the draw. You also need to remember that when you chose a scope for a 50, you need to think along the lines of how long until it fails not, if it will fail. ALL scopes can and have failed when mounted on 50s. Yes, even NXSes and US Optics. The difference is that these scopes last longer between failings and the companies stand behind their products and will usually fix them for free.
Old 04-11-2008, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
It's true that AR50s have less percieved recoil than most other 50s. This is due to the muzzle brake being more efficient and pulling the gun forward as it directs the muzzle gases to the rear. This is the reason that 50s are hard on optics. Most scopes are designed to handle recoil but not the reverse recoil (if you will) that muzzle brakes create. This means that an AR50 is harder on scopes than a 50 with a less efficient MB and more precieved recoil. I happen to have NXSes on my AR50 and my ALS but, I know several people that have had good luck mounting cheap scopes on their 50s. With cheap scopes, it comes down to luck of the draw. You also need to remember that when you chose a scope for a 50, you need to think along the lines of how long until it fails not, if it will fail. ALL scopes can and have failed when mounted on 50s. Yes, even NXSes and US Optics. The difference is that these scopes last longer between failings and the companies stand behind their products and will usually fix them for free.
This is true. Haven't seen a USO or S&B fail, but hey, you rarely see those scopes anyway. Nightforce will be the best for the money. S&B if you just want the best.
Old 04-11-2008, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've heard of a USO failing and literally falling apart at the FCSA World Championships a few years ago.
Old 04-11-2008, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've heard of a USO failing and literally falling apart at the FCSA World Championships a few years ago.
Ouch. OK then, I haven't heard of a S&B failing...yet. I mean, with how many S&B's are out there on many miltary rifles in many different countries, I'm sure I would have heard something...
Old 04-11-2008, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
Ouch. OK then, I haven't heard of a S&B failing...yet. I mean, with how many S&B's are out there on many miltary rifles in many different countries, I'm sure I would have heard something...
Yea, but I'd still go with a NXS. Not only is it more cost effective but, it has proven itself time and time again. I didn't see it at SHOT this year but, in '06, Nightforce had a NXS at their table that took a 7.62x39 round through it and our guy still used it for 3 days until he could come in and get it replaced. Even after being hit, it held zero and the only problem with it was that the magnification was stuck.
Old 04-11-2008, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yea, but I'd still go with a NXS. Not only is it more cost effective but, it has proven itself time and time again. I didn't see it at SHOT this year but, in '06, Nightforce had a NXS at their table that took a 7.62x39 round through it and our guy still used it for 3 days until he could come in and get it replaced. Even after being hit, it held zero and the only problem with it was that the magnification was stuck.
And it was a bit blurry. I looked through it at SHOT. No doubt NF has the best bang for the buck, if you don't mind SFP. Once their FFP 3.5-15 hits the shelves, its going to be a winner. The S&B is just in a different class. The glass is simply amazing. Matched with a bombproof rep and FFP, it can't be beat. But is that worth an extra 1300 bucks? To me it was. If NF had FFP when I bought the S&B, I probably would have gone with the NF.
Old 04-11-2008, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've never even looked through a S&B. What is yours mounted on?
Old 04-11-2008, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've never even looked through a S&B. What is yours mounted on?
This:

Its fantastic. Shot the vegas precision rifle match last weekend and it was my first time there with the new rifle. A couple guys had USO's and NF's as well. They wanted to look through it and see how far away they could identify their 260 holes in paper. They were maxing out at about 200 yards. Even at just 20x on the S&B, I could see 223 holes at 300 meters. The clarity is the best part. Its really more than I need, but I wanted it for the features. Now I don't have any excuse!
Old 04-11-2008, 9:46 PM

I'm going to be putting a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50 on my FAR-50. I've heard good things about Burris, and also specifically concerning the Black Diamond on a .50. I already have the scope, can't wait to get it mounted.
Old 04-11-2008, 9:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice rig. I really need to get a long distance gun that's cheap to shoot. The price of BMG components has skyrocket in the last 18 months. One thing I learned about optics is that more magnification doesn't always let you see more. Instead, the clarity of the lenses are the ticket to seeing details at a distance.
Old 04-11-2008, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nice rig. I really need to get a long distance gun that's cheap to shoot. The price of BMG components has skyrocket in the last 18 months. One thing I learned about optics is that more magnification doesn't always let you see more. Instead, the clarity of the lenses are the ticket to seeing details at a distance.
I agree completely. I learned that early on with cheap 20-60 spotters. They sucked.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can afford to shoot 50's a lot. Its crazy! Do you shoot amaxes, milsurp? 308 seems like its getting expensive, but I guess its all relative, right? I have the itch to get a 510, but I doubt I could feed it. Maybe someday...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been shooting AMAXes at matches but, Whore-a Day has raised the prices so high, I'm thinking of trying Lehighs next time I need bullets. For plinking at Angeles, I've still got a few Prince-Al bullets. Someday I'll get around to loading a few of the 2K worth of APs that I bought five years ago. In all reality, feeding them isn't my problem. The expense of going to a match is. I'm leaving for a match in Reno on Thursday. I'll be taking three days off work and driving my Power Wagon that gets about 11mpg about 1300 miles over 5 days plus wear and tear. Then, there is the entry fees, the cost of lodging, food, a trip to Cabella's, a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse and gambling. You see, feeding 50s isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

quite simple. a scope with a lifetime warrenty with good customer service. i would think a 50 would unwind any scope over time.

US Optics seems to by my choice. If it breaks down, send it in. No questions asked it'll be fixed. Local manufacter in Cali, great lens, great durability, lots of options, lifetime warrenty.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 04-11-2008 at 11:09 PM..