Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Ruger LC9

What's the opinion on the gun. I intend to use it as a ccw to replace my XDSC9mm. I realize it carries less rounds, but it should be more concealable and more comfortable than my XD.

I would rather have the XDs, but there will be no Ca. version per Springfield and I'm not paying the cost of a SSE. My next choice was the S&W Shield, but I've been waiting for 4 months and just found out from S&W yesterday, the Ca. version won't go into production until late summer/early fall.

I'd rather not wait, so is the Ruger a good gun. Is it a pocket gun or IWB gun.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

Trigger on the LC9 sucks. Other than that, its a decent gun.
Old 05-10-2013, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Is the Walther PPS on the list? That's a good option, too.
Old 05-10-2013, 1:52 PM

You mean it has a long pull? Its smooth andy consistent. Mine has not been very reliable. And I'm not to happy with Rugers response. So I am gunna go nuts with mine barrel and slide will be refinished as the slide rusted from carry, and the Ruger logo has been stippled off. Then we will feed her 500 rounds and see if she get to go back in the holster or just be an unpleasant range toy.
Old 05-10-2013, 1:57 PM

You Really need smaller hands to get comfortable with it.. The long trigger pull is akward IF you have longer fingers.. Mine always went bang..
Old 05-10-2013, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have a ruger lc9 and its a great concealled carry gun. Get the subcompact and still use 9mm ammo, sights are very good and once you get used to shooting it, the trigger pull isnt a issues at all. I wear it IWB or in pocket, sometimes I forget I even have it on.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:32 PM

I am a long time DA revolver fan. After years of shooting DA with revolvers I have not issue with the LC9s DA trigger.

Man Up...

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

If you like long double action trigger pull, then you're good. If you don't, then it sucks. I don't. It sucks. It's not even all that good of a DA pull. It smooths out after some use, but it'll still have some funny lumps through the travel.

The LCR has a nice double action trigger pull. If the LC9 was as smooth as that, I might not have sold it. We'll I probably still would have. I didn't dig the slide release lever location or the manual safety.
Old 05-10-2013, 5:16 PM

I have the lc9 and have the galloway precision trigger installed, no problem with the long trigger pull and no problem going bang when the trigger is pulled. I did it because it was so different than my other guns and I wanted the same short trigger pull as a sa. If you like Springfield weapons look at the EMP for ccw, it is also a 9mm and is a very dependable gun once broke in.
Old 05-10-2013, 6:13 PM

I really like mine and it is all I that I CCW. The trigger is a little long, but with some range time you get used to it quickly.
Major plus for me is the concealability of this gun, very easy to conceal and comfortable for all day wear.

Nice balance of firepower and ease of carry
Old 05-10-2013, 8:55 PM

I've had mine for a couple years now, it's not bad. However, it does get a little picky on ammo. It would not run S&B or any lacquered primer.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
Trigger on the LC9 sucks. Other than that, its a decent gun.
this^^^ sold mine months ago.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFanOC View Post
I've had mine for a couple years now, it's not bad. However, it does get a little picky on ammo. It would not run S&B or any lacquered primer.
I ran Federal through mine, but also lots of S&B. The FP hole getting gunked up with primer seal had been resolved on most of the LC9s. The ones with the pinned front sight had the hole chamfered.

If someone ends up with an LC9 that doesn't have the FP hole chamfered and the front sight pinned, Ruger will fix that.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 PM
CGN Contributor

mine has been a great little gun, reliable goes bang every time.i installed the galloway/RTK short stroke trigger modification,makes a huge difference. i also added the CC clip as i like to carry without a holster.

More armed citizens = Quicker response times, less victims.
Less armed citizens = more victims

Guns should only be surrendered one bullet at a time.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:10 AM

I have had one for 6 months. It's my pocket gun when I don't want to pack something heavier or bigger. Yes, it has a long trigger pull. I had to practice a lot to get it down. I just thought of it as a double action revolver trigger. Mine has fed everything. It's tough to shoot a little gun with short sight radius. Good so far though. I would not carry anything less than a 9mm. I usually carry a Colt Officers in .45 ACP.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Old 05-11-2013, 8:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't own one even if it were free because of the trigger. It's the worst trigger I've ever felt on a semiauto.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 05-11-2013, 9:55 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa15537 View Post
. If you like Springfield weapons look at the EMP for ccw, it is also a 9mm and is a very dependable gun once broke in.
I like Springfield, having a Milspec 1911, the Professional 1911 and my old duty revolver, a Model 15, .38cal with a 4" barrel. The EMP is a nice looking weapon, but I don't want a 1911 ccw gun. On top of that, it is a lot more expensive than the other guns I mentioned.

I do appreciate all the feedback. A buddy of mine has one (I had forgotten) and when my knee heals, I will be shooting his to see how I like it. He's had it for a couple of years, so it's broken in.

Ideally, whatever I buy, I would like to put Truglo TFO sights on it. I have it on my XD and it really helps my old eyes sight in. The days of 20/5 vision in each eye are long, long gone.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

A friend of mine (retired LEO) has both the Shield and the Ruger LC9. He started with the Ruger then carried the Shield and now back to the Ruger.

He told me the Shield "felt" bigger in his hands and when he pocket carries it felt too bulky. As far as belt/holster carry he said the difference was minimal. His LC9 trigger did smooth out after firing and dry firing. He felt the LC9 was a better carry gun for both pocket and holster carry as opposed to the Shield where he felt was fine as a belt/holster gun, but bulky for a pocket gun. He has a bad back and likes to carry light on his hip or pocket. He stated both guns were plenty accurate enough for a CCW gun (he's former SWAT).

Another retired LEO friend carries the LC9 and basically said the same things about the LC9. He doesn't have a Shield though. He does carry a LCP when its super hot outside. He also likes to carry a light gun (bad back and knee).

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013, 1:51 PM

It has light strikes, bad feeding, a horrible trigger and reset, sights fall off (and parts fly out when they do), mag release gets pressed by holster, safety and LCI are annoying along with mag disconnect. I would sell it but I am too honest. It sits in the safe and I carry my xdm instead.
Old 05-11-2013, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Had one, hated it, sold it. I intended to replace my G26 with it as my carry gun. The trigger is awful, truly bad. It has a bunch of unneeded safety's on it, and a magazine disconnect. I wish they had just beefed up the LCP to deal with the 9mm cartridge, but they didn't. I ended up just buying an LCP which I pocket carry most days. The .380 is a compromise, but loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense I usually feel sufficiently armed.
If you want a single stack 9mm look for a different gun, pass on the LC9.

That's my 2

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1153858
\_(ツ)_/
Old 05-11-2013, 5:08 PM

^^^^Agreed. My GF owns one and she likes it but the only thing keeping her from loving it is the trigger. I think Ruger could of sold a lot more if they had thought about fixing the trigger. I think that's what will drive me to buy a Shield instead of a LC9. I should not have to pay extra and get a galloway trigger system to
have a normal trigger.
Old 05-11-2013, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Carry mine daily ccw iwb, my other ccw is a da only revolver so trigger is not an issue. Never had a problem with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:16 PM

I like all the safety aspects about the gun. To me it is very safe to carry. I have about 1000 rounds through it now and never had a problem with it. At 10yards it seems to be dead on. It won't shoot groups at 25 yards. I have a Crimson Trace Laser installed and it works great. Overall a good reliable gun for the price.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've had no trouble with mine. It shoots most anything without any FTF or FTE issues. I like the sights. The grip is a bit smallish, but if you're going to CC it the smaller grip helps in the carry comfort. Pocket or IWB, depends on wether you are wearing Carharts and a T shirt or slacks and a dress shirt.
I think it's a pretty nice pistol. The DA trigger is smooth and may take a little getting used to. Ruger did good.

U S Coast Guard Squadron Three, Viet Nam 1968

"Well here's another nice mess you've got me into!"
Oliver Hardy
Old 05-11-2013, 9:24 PM

Last edited by zdragon; 05-11-2013 at 9:31 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 9:26 PM

My LC9 was among the first three shipped to California since it's introduction according to my dealer.
I've since disabled the mag disconnect and swapped out the plastic guide rod with a Galloway SS.
My LC9 has never had one single FTF, FTE or light primer strikes with hundred of rounds down the pipe. Function has been 100% so far.
Long trigger pull is a non issue IMO....a safety feature in my book.

Last edited by zdragon; 05-11-2013 at 9:42 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 9:44 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon View Post
My LC9 was among the first three shipped to California since it's introduction according to my dealer.
I've since disabled the mag disconnect and swapped out the plastic guide rod with a Galloway SS.
My LC9 has never had one single FTF, FTE or light primer strikes with hundred of rounds down the pipe. Function has been 100% so far.
Long trigger pull is a non issue IMO....a safety feature in my book.

the silencer looks sweet on that pistol.

More armed citizens = Quicker response times, less victims.
Less armed citizens = more victims

Guns should only be surrendered one bullet at a time.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM

LC9 is a nice backup gun to the main CCW gun!
Old 05-12-2013, 6:30 AM

Default Best boot gun around

I have a Sig 220 Carry for when clothing allows but day in and day out my LC9 is riding along in my left boot like it wasn't even there. I installed a leather "half holster" I formed myself in 4 pairs of boots (work boots to dress cowboy boots). The weight of the gun is carried by the boot and there is nothing wrapped around my leg. The other boot carries two mags.

I gather up a big bunch of the trigger in a hurry and then squeeze the last bit as if it were a single action. After several thousand rounds it has become second nature. Not one failure and tight groups at 30'. It is a great gun for its intended purpose.