Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-11-2013, 9:05 PM

Talking New Kahr P380 - 100% Successful Break-in, recommendaitons & results!

I recently purchased a new Kahr P380 and I have heard some horror stories about the break-in, jamming, ejector, and polymer frame damage. I was a little hesitant, however I knew if I could make it reliable it would be a great little deep concealment backup pistol to carry along with my Kimber 1911 Ultra CDP II.

I did lots of research and here are my results:

1) Before firing the Kahr I disassembled the pistol and polished the feeding ramp (to a mirror shine), cleaned & detailed the entire gun. I also put fresh oil and applied it liberally so it would run fairly wet during the break-in period.

2) I purchased some snap-caps and I manually cycled about 150 snap-caps through the Kahr before the 1st firing. Pain to do, but worth it IMO. I did notice for the first 120+ cycles it seemed extra stiff towards and the last 10th of the slide. I had to give it some extra muscle to pull it back enough to eject the shells. This went away after about 120 cycles and then became much smoother at ejecting.

3) I dissassembled the pistol and cleaned it again and checked for any unusual wear points, re-oiled, and then headed out to the shooting range.

4) 1st I put 75 rounds of Hornady FTX .380ACP through it with zero issues

5) Then, I took apart the pistol, cleaned it, and re-oiled it accordingly, also checked for any unusual wear and/or frame issues (everything looked great).

6) Next, I put 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot through it flawlessly, then put 50 Rounds of Hornady Zombie .380 rounds through it with out any issues

7) I now have put a total of 175 round through it and I then took it apart, cleaned and re-oiled it, inspected it without any issues.

8) Now I felt it was time to run some basic Federal .380 ACP target ammo through it (some have reported to have issues running this ammo through the Kahr P380). I fired 100 rounds with ZERO issues - flawless performance!!!

9) Cleaned it, re-oiled, and went back home

10) Kahr P380 is now back at home in the Gun Safe with all it's brothers and sisters resting until the next day out on the range.

I have successfully ran 275 rounds through this Kahr with 4 different types of ammo and have had zero issues, zero misfires, and zero failure to ejects. I couldn't be happier and I'm very pleased with the purchase.

NEXT run at the shooting range I'll be putting 40-60 Buffalo +P JHP rounds & 100 Winchester 380 flat FMJ rounds through it to test it even farther,

To those of you who have had issues or problems with Kahr P380 I would check to make sure your serial number starts with RC4XXX or Later because I have heard that some of the earlier polymer frames have had issues.
Mine is an RC8XXX and using the method above it has proven to be 100% reliable!!!!

The trigger is so much smoother compared to any of my other .380 's and this is my very first Kahr Pistol. I am very pleased with this purchase and feel very confident on its reliability.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks - CoronaPistol -

Last edited by coronapistol; 05-11-2013 at 9:07 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM

I just went through a break period on p380 serial number RC9xxx. Disassembled, cleaned and oiled it. Ran 300 rds. UMC FMJ through it and consistently found it to failed to return to battery every 2-6 rds. I also found the mag release would regularly require super human thumb strength to drop the mags.

I disassembled and cleaned/ re-oiled it. Ran 50 more rds with the same result.

I emailed Kahr and was told not to mess with it any further just RMA it. I had it back in 2 weeks with a new heavy duty spring, reworked extractor, and new mag release. It runs great now.

Last edited by hkfan; 05-12-2013 at 1:53 PM.. Reason: Corrected length of serial number
Old 05-12-2013, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife's is only a year old (bought NIB from a fresh shipment at a dealer), and it has a serial number in the RC1XXX range. They must be selling them like hotcakes.

Her mag release is the opposite of hkfan's. It's so loose that just the recoil from bulk FMJ loads drops the mag. It drops every 3 or 4 shots. It drops faster under rapidfire. Like hkfan's, it fails to return to battery at least once per mag. It has nothing to with polishing the ramp. The nose of the bullet is hitting and sticking on the ramp lip. So either the ramp is too short, the mag sits too low, or the follower is tilting.

Every mag it either fails to fire or the mag drops when it does shoot. I need to send it back to Kahr.

But my PM9 runs flawlessly.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-12-2013, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfan View Post
I just went through a break period on p380 serial number RC9xxxx. Disassembled, cleaned and oiled it. Ran 300 rds. UMC FMJ through it and consistently found it to failed to return to battery every 2-6 rds. I also found the mag release would regularly require super human thumb strength to drop the mags.

I disassembled and cleaned/ re-oiled it. Ran 50 more rds with the same result.

I emailed Kahr and was told not to mess with it any further just RMA it. I had it back in 2 weeks with a new heavy duty spring, reworked extractor, and new mag release. It runs great now.
Glad it got worked out.

And corona nice report. Any pics to accompany the thread? I've recently kind of taken a liking to .380's.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 05-12-2013, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the review!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by den888 View Post
Thanks for the review!
Your welcome. I do believe that Kahr has improved them over the years. Also I decided to order a new spring kit from their website. I measured them and it appears that the new springs have 1 extra coil = longer in length and more heavy duty.

I am still running my original springs without any problems. I have these as a new ones as a backup, but so far I am very impressed with the P380.

ZERO issues out of the box & not one failure while I was operating the pistol. If anybody has had any problems I would definatley send it to Kahr to get it worked on and I believe you'll have great success once it is returned with the new parts / springs.

I am going to put another 200-400 rounds through it later this week. Also on a quick note I let a buddy of mine try the Kahr and he had failure to feed into the battery after the 1st round (weak hands on his part). I picked it up and ran 4 full magazines through it with the same ammo without any issues. (Yes he looked confused). He tried it again and got the same failure agian. After some practice he finally got the hang of it.

Since the pistol is very small it is expected that a rigid & firm grip is required to have it function & cycle properly. This will allow the springs to fully use their energy towards cycling of the next round into the battery.

GLTY All. I'll keep you posted! Cant wait to try the +P through the Kahr, should be nice an snappy
Old 05-14-2013, 4:53 AM
Banned

I didn't know that Kahrs had problems. Bought a CW9, oiled it and ran over 500 rounds thru it, and nothing happened.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 AM

i had some issues with mine at first feeding, but took it apart and polished the feed ramp and now i do not have any issues. i have read that these can be picky as far as ammo is concerned, and the hornady ammo works best. last time i went out i was shooting wwb and it ran flawlessly.

i am around 300 rounds through at this point. i took it apart and did a thorough cleaning and found that some of the frame had some poly or plastic burs...just took some very fine sand paper to them (400 grit) and very lightly cleaned them.

i also did some tuning on my mags again with the very fine 400 grit sand paper and polished them with emphasis on the leading edge of the mag (from some other research i have done..sorry but do not have the link). they now come out easier and don't get hung up while ejecting. i prefer to have my mags drop out easily...some probably prefer the opposite.

my p380 has the mag safety which i do not like. my pm9 does not have the mag safety and i like that better. if anyone knows of a way to remove the mag safety cleanly....please post up. i would think there are parts you can order for the 380's without this feature and drop those parts in. i was tempted, but didn't want to leave myself without a working pistol.

i do like the breakin method that the op mentions in post 1....wish i had read this first before i took mine out...very nicely done.

Last edited by holiday; 06-16-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
My wife's is only a year old (bought NIB from a fresh shipment at a dealer), and it has a serial number in the RC1XXX range. They must be selling them like hotcakes.

Her mag release is the opposite of hkfan's. It's so loose that just the recoil from bulk FMJ loads drops the mag. It drops every 3 or 4 shots. It drops faster under rapidfire. Like hkfan's, it fails to return to battery at least once per mag. It has nothing to with polishing the ramp. The nose of the bullet is hitting and sticking on the ramp lip. So either the ramp is too short, the mag sits too low, or the follower is tilting.

Every mag it either fails to fire or the mag drops when it does shoot. I need to send it back to Kahr.

But my PM9 runs flawlessly.
Here's an update I posted in another thread:

Quote:
My wife's P380 has been interesting. Per Kahr's instructions, you need several hundred rounds through it to break it in. The round count is high IMHO, but I've experienced similar break in counts for other well known brands/models too. But I have a philosophical problem with any gun that doesn't run 100% straight from the box. Nevertheless, she wanted that tiny Kahr P380.

Her P380 started out fine with no malfunctions for the first hundred rounds or so. I had no problem recommending it because it didn't seem to need any breaking in at all. Then the problems started.

Between around 100 rounds and 400 rounds all hell broke loose. Just about every possible malfunction you can think of happened. REPEATEDLY! CONSTANTLY! The mag wouldn't even stay in the gun during firing. You couldn't fire a 6 round mag without at least 2 or 3 malfunctions. I tried Remington, Winchester, Federal, PPU, Tula, and PMC. It just didn't matter what ammo I used. Malfunctions galore (especially with Tula - won't use it in the gun anymore).

But since I had heard many Kahr owners claim they needed to put 500 rounds through their guns before they settled down, my wife and I kept putting rounds downrange despite the malfunctions.

Strangely, after about 400 rounds the gun began to settle down. I wouldn't call it reliable yet, but it's getting close. I think in the last hundred rounds it only had one or two FTF. And the mag stays in the gun. Compared to the constant malfunctions previously, it's a vast improvement. So it appears she has one of those 500 round break-in Kahr's. We'll put another couple hundred rounds through it just to make sure.

I've had no problems whatsoever with my Kahr PM9. Straight from the box it's been 100% reliable. It probably has 500 rounds through it without a single malfunction (knock on wood).

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 AM

I just bought some Remington UMC ammo from a member, who said it would short cycle in his new Kahr. He did all the things you guys do, exercising it a bunch and lube, etc. He said PMC will cycle it just fine. I am using the ammo in my Sig P 230, it eats anything.
(")_(")
Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I just bought some Remington UMC ammo from a member, who said it would short cycle in his new Kahr. He did all the things you guys do, exercising it a bunch and lube, etc. He said PMC will cycle it just fine. I am using the ammo in my Sig P 230, it eats anything.
My wife's seems to favor PMC. I guess it makes sense a Korean gun would like Korean ammo. I know I know - Kahr's are made in the USA. But the owner is Korean American.

Old 06-16-2013, 4:11 PM

all guns need a few hundred rounds to break in, but imho it should not malfunction at all out of the box....and any gun should function better with more rounds through it. i do like the p380...its just a cool gun but i don't think i would carry it because it does seem to be unreliable. i could not put my life on it to go bang every time...not at this point anyways. i will try running the horandy zombie ammo as this is supposed to prevent ftf's (this has been my only issue with this gun). if you look at the nose of the horandy hp tips, you would understand why these would run better since the ramp on the p380 is steep. i do believe some guns are picky with regards to ammo...and i don't have a problem with that just as long as it goes bang! i can't seem to find any of the hornady in stock right now at a decent price.