Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-22-2013, 7:27 PM

Default Finally did it...the SWITCH!

Told Sprint to kiss my butt, and switched to Verizon...a network that actually has 4G...and it works. Have a 6gb plan a month for me and wife....hope we dont go over? Sprint was unlimited data....but only when it worked. Anyone else recently switch over to Verizon? By the way...the Samsung Note II is incredible! Your thoughts...
Old 04-22-2013, 7:32 PM

Verizon has a good network, but they liked to sneak additional surcharges onto my bills thinking that I wouldn't notice. I tried to cancel and it took 3 phone calls to get things cancelled. Their customer service is absolutely abysmal and their rates are high. I had Verizon for 10 years and am kicking myself for not switching sooner.

I hope you have better luck with Verizon than my family did.
Old 04-22-2013, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

I've been with Verizon for years. Never had a problem with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-22-2013, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I've got AT&T right now, and I'm pretty pissed at them. Sprint is worthless in my area, so's T-Mobile, so it's down between AT&T & Verizon. I've still got the unlimited data plan with AT&T - I've had an iPhone for about 5 years now - so that's a good point for them. BUT ... they've been dicking me around with my upgrade, my contracts done with them, and Verizon actually has reception at work. Sure, the limited Verizon data plans aren't as good as unlimited with AT&T, but according to the usage monitor on my iPhone 4, I've used less than 20 GB - up and down - since October of 2010 ... so maybe a limited data plan won't be completely crippling.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 04-22-2013, 8:17 PM

My work phone is a sprint htc 4g evo and my own phone is an old verizon 3g motorola droid2. The talk is similar in quality with the edge going to verizon. My data is noticably faster and more consistant on my 3 yr old+ moto driod2 comparr to the sprint network.
I work all throughout LA/Orange county.
Old 04-22-2013, 8:59 PM

A little tip: If you have an iPad to add to your phone's family plan, ATT charges $10 per month to do so. The bonus is that you now get tethering enabled so you can use your phone or iPad to provide wireless connectivity for a laptop or desktop. The same data plan, etc still holds but in my case, it cost me each month $10 to dump a $65 Verizon MiFi.
Old 04-22-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I've been with Verizon for years. Never had a problem with them.
this. had at&t, but finally canned them after a 911 call got "system busy", while a friend on verizon got through.

gf and i have 4gb each on smartphones, and i surf a lot, stream a little youtube, etc, and haven't yet gone past 2gb..gotta try harder i guess.
Old 04-22-2013, 9:45 PM

i had verizon about 11 years ago and dropped them just because their cust. service was so bad. went to sprint then to att because at the time sprint didn't have any phones i like and att did (worst cell service i've ever had tho.) fast forward to last october, i got fed up with att's cell service and figured after 11 years, verizons CS MUST HAVE gotten better so i switched.........NOPE. i signed up and was waiting for my phone and was already getting tired of their CS. no one at their call center or store had answers to any of my questions but there were more than happy to sell me accessories.

overall, i'm happy with their cell service but sprint and att had the absolute best CS. Sprint was best overall.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM

AT&T wouldn't waiver the cancellation fee after I was discharged from the Army, so I'm still stuck with a $90 / Month bill. And that's just for 3 GB of Data 350 Minutes and Unlimited texting. A friend has unlimited everything for $50 a month, so I flipped out. lol Robbery I tell you.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I dropped Verizon, the salesman guy lied about the Droid2 when I went to upgrade and I was paying ~$120/mo per phone for unlimited everything (with no data/voice at the same time back then on the Droid1, then the Droid2,) tried Sprint @~$80/mo (unlimited everything, AND data/voice same time) per phone, but missed too many calls (~12/day), then tried T-Mobile with unlimited everything (and data/voice same time) AND WiFi calling if available (everywhere at work, when cell signal is not available), still @~$80/month.

Last edited by the86d; 04-23-2013 at 4:26 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 5:27 AM
Veteran Member

I'm on an unlimited plan right now with Verizon with my iPhone 5 but if I had to switch to a limited plan it really wouldn't be a problem for me. 2GB is more than enough for normal usage IMO. The only time I ever go over is when I stream video through Netflix or HBOgo. Without streaming video I've never even come close to going over.

Check this out, just under 40GB. And it's only the 23rd

Quote:
Get a DILLON...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

I dumped sprint a couple months ago and got Verizon. MUCH better. Sprint was so slow it was just not usable.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Sprint, Virgin Mobile and Boost might be sharing the same towers/network for data? (I have had data issues on both VM, and Sprint, and others tell me about Boost's issues that sound really similar.) They will creep, but if you drop a device in airplane more, or reboot it, devices tend to give better speeds, but connections don't tend to stay up (ftp/http/etc).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Verizon is good at ripping customers off. Should have gone with T-Mobile. $70/month unlimited 4G,and they have the best LTE network in North America. Although that's only live in a few markets so far, still get 20Mbps on their HSPA+ network though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sprint is pretty horrible. Had them from 1999-2004 and had enough. Recently, I was using Virgin Mobile (on Sprint's non-roaming network), which is just horrible.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Been using Verizon for 10 years. Switched to then last time i moved since it was the only provider that gave me a signal at home.

I am actually very impressed with Verizon customer service. With their help on the phone, i was able to upgrade my phone without losing my unlimited data or paying full phone price. At her suggestion, i upgraded the non data using phone on my line to the Samsung galaxy then transferred it to use as my line.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:54 AM

speaking of sprint, they were in the running before i went verizon...except they have NO 4g in my town. all the other little surrounding towns, yes, but not here.

tmobile was pretty close in price to verizon when i was looking to re-up, with the exception of the unlimited data; know some people with tmo whose cell service is pretty poor, so verizon got it. can count the number of dropped calls since i joined verizon on one hand.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:03 AM

I had a Sprint account for about 10 years up till 4 months ago. While they only have WiMax in my area, I wasn't really upset since I had unlimited data and didn't have to worry about overages and figured LTE would be deployed here eventually.

However, 5 months ago, I decided I wanted to buy a Note 2, so I went to the Sprint store and asked if they had any promos to buy the phone since I was still mid contract and would pay retail on the phone. They told me they had nothing but to try calling Sprint's Telesales as they have a lot more options at discounts. Go home and promptly give Telesales a call. After explaining the situation, the lady says she has nothing at this time to offer me, but then said, "I see you've been a long time valued customer, let me check with my manager on what we can do". She comes back after about 5 minutes and says that my manager would like to offer you an early upgrade since you've been with us for so long. My first question of course was, what does it entail and would there be any extra charges. She stated it would extend my contract another 2 years, but there would be no extra charges. So after asking her 2 more times to be 100% sure, she confirmed I would see no extra charges and that her manager was inputting the contract update in the system at that time so I could go to the store and buy at discounted pricing. Of course I was excited and went to the store and asked the sales rep if he saw there were any additional charges on my bill. He said no extra charges and I just had to pay for the phone.

Fast forward 1 month and there is a $375 charge on my bill marked as early contract renewal. I call them and explain the whole situation and they kept telling me the lady had to tell me I would get charged this. Obviously that was not the case. After several calls over the next 2 weeks and not a single promised callback from the 6 'supervisors' at Sprint, I walk in to Verizon and ported all my numbers over.

For 5 lines at Sprint with a 25% corporate discount, we were paying about $240 a month. On Verizon with 5 lines and 10GB shared data with a 22% corporate discount, we pay about $260 a month. So it might be a little more, but overall we are quite satisfied with the service on Verizon. Also the LTE service is quite nice.

TMobile's service was no go as it was already weak in the are of my workplace and couldn't penetrate the walls of my office building. AT&T was an option, but the much cheaper data at Verizon was the deciding factor.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_nobody View Post
tmobile was pretty close in price to verizon when i was looking to re-up, with the exception of the unlimited data; know some people with tmo whose cell service is pretty poor, so verizon got it. can count the number of dropped calls since i joined verizon on one hand.
I've never had a dropped call with T-Mobile.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-24-2013, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post

I have, but only when leaving WiFi coverage, while on a WiFi Call.

I don't think I have dropped a call on Cell signal in like the year I have been with them.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh man, The Sprint to Verizon switch.

I have deliberated that for a long time. I'm going to hold out a little bit longer. I know there are talks of Dish Network buying them. Not sure if this will be a good thing or not.
Old 04-24-2013, 4:22 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I've used less than 20 GB - up and down - since October of 2010
Did ya hear Obama got reelected?
Old 04-24-2013, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Did ya hear Obama got reelected?

hurr hurr.

I've got Wi-Fi most places.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 04-24-2013, 9:17 PM

I switched from the 3G iPhone on AT&T to the iPhone 4 on Verizon nearly 2 years ago and overall I'm happy with it.

As many others have said their prices are high, luckily I get a corporate discount due to my work so 20% off of my bill.

For some reason when I walked from one end of my house to the other on AT&T it would drop the call, even though I had cell reception throughout the house. Never had the issue on Verizon.

Verizon's 3G speed is crap but their LTE is the tits. It's fast and everywhere.

I've experienced the customer service on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. T-Mobile was by far my worst experience and Verizon was the best.

My biggest gripe is the price of Verizon, I've been eyeballing T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid plan which gives 100 minutes talk time, unlimited text and unlimited data. Just haven't been able to find the motivation to make the switch.

Welcome to Big Red!
Old 04-29-2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalakaua View Post
For some reason when I walked from one end of my house to the other on AT&T it would drop the call, even though I had cell reception throughout the house. Never had the issue on Verizon.
never had tmobile myself. all my dropped calls were with cingular/at&t. and same store as kalakaua, i could have 5 bars of signal, and still drop calls left and right.
Old 04-29-2013, 8:56 AM

+1 for T-Mobile

Unlimited text, calling, and 4G, plus I share my internet connection with other devices

$80 a month
Old 05-10-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atto View Post
+1 for T-Mobile

Unlimited text, calling, and 4G, plus I share my internet connection with other devices

$80 a month
I hear so much crap about T-Mobile. I've been with the "T" for almost 10 years. Love 'em like I love a big butt and a smile. Never any problems. They carry the Galaxy 4, GSM phones, worldwide service, and for the plan prices… they can't be beat. Unless you don't get T-mobile service where you need it, I can't see any reason to not be with them.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sprint data in my area is dirt slow. Tmobile had tons of dead spots, couldn't make calls in one room, could in another, drove me nuts. Verizon tried to screw around and not let me upgrade after double billing me twice. AT&T hasn't given me any problems for years now(other than their stores being run like apple stores that irritate the hell out of me). There was one instance of being in the middle of BFE and not getting any signal while my buddy on verizon could make calls, not really a big deal though.

That being said, the moment at&t pisses me off enough to no longer care about my unlimited data plan, I'm going elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Sprints 4G sucks ***. AT&T's has awesome coverage but their company is just awful to deal with. I deal with both in the corporate world and I hate AT&T with a passion. I'd never give them any of my personal money.
Old 05-12-2013, 7:42 PM

I'd jump to Verizon but their plan for smartphones is really expensive.

I now use StraightTalk...$45 / month unlimited everything...of course data have a soft cap....like everyone's else. It uses AT&T network. You can also choose Tmo of you want.
Old 05-12-2013, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

AT&T just announced they will be offering smartphones without a 2 year contract. Starting in certain cities now and expanding over the coming weeks.

This service is named AIOWIRELESS.

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/smartphones.html

It appears you can bring your own phone as well. (Sim card phones).

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 05-12-2013, 9:53 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

If you have a Costco membership, the Kiosk inside always has good deals on phones. The guy helped me keep my unlimited data on both phones when we upgraded to the Galaxy S3. They also push the Square Trade insurance which is cheaper and better than the Carrier's insurance. Costco also waives the activation fee and they give you a free goodie bag with every phone (case, car charger, screen protectors, etc.)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Very simple, Verizon has the best overall coverage by far, AT&T doesn't have as good coverage. Sprint has lousy coverage in comparison to either and T-Mobile is not that great either.

OTOH,

My iPhone bill with Verizon was $129.00 per month and yes, they will try to rip you off by packing your bill, track it carefully. I also have FIOS here and same thing, Verizon is notorious for trying to rip off consumers, I personally think it is a company policy. If you catch them, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "sorry" and if you don't, think about billing error overcharges for 80 million customers, how much money is that? I switched to Virgin Mobile (Sprint is the carrier) and now my bill is $35.00 per month. On Verizon I had the mobile hotspot, on Virgin I haven't turned that on, and on Verizon I had unlimited minutes, data and texts, with Virgin, I have unlimited data and texts but not minutes, I only have 300 per month but that's okay, I don't actually talk on the phone much.

Sprints coverage isn't as good, but even if I would have trimmed my Verizon plan down, it was still $90.00 per month versus $35.00 for Virgin and even if I kicked the Virgin plan up to unlimited minutes, it is still only $55.00 per month.

Bottom line is Verizon has great coverage and I used it all over the country. Virgin, not nearly as good but at less than half the cost, I can live with it.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 05-13-2013, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
AT&T just announced they will be offering smartphones without a 2 year contract. Starting in certain cities now and expanding over the coming weeks.

The lady got a new phone this weekend, and it appears that T-Mobile is doing something similar. You pay a Down-payment, and they just roll the rest of the retail cost of the phone into your contract, paid monthly over 24 months. They guy said they were doing that for all plans, and migrating every account to this eventually. I am not sure it is the best thing they could have done, as you do pay a bit more than before until the phone is paid off (24months)...
Old 05-13-2013, 5:43 AM

If you can limit your data consumption and can live with out 4G, I highly recommend Pageplus.

Verizon Network (You use verizon CDMA Phones)

Wife and I went from Verizon's unlimited plan at $120 per phone a month.. to $60.00 total for our Pageplus Service, we just changed our data habits.

I'm looking to buy the New HTC One and the wife is using an Iphone4s.
Old 05-13-2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Very simple, Verizon has the best overall coverage by far, AT&T doesn't have as good coverage. Sprint has lousy coverage in comparison to either and T-Mobile is not that great either.

OTOH,

My iPhone bill with Verizon was $129.00 per month and yes, they will try to rip you off by packing your bill, track it carefully. I also have FIOS here and same thing, Verizon is notorious for trying to rip off consumers, I personally think it is a company policy. If you catch them, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "sorry" and if you don't, think about billing error overcharges for 80 million customers, how much money is that? I switched to Virgin Mobile (Sprint is the carrier) and now my bill is $35.00 per month. On Verizon I had the mobile hotspot, on Virgin I haven't turned that on, and on Verizon I had unlimited minutes, data and texts, with Virgin, I have unlimited data and texts but not minutes, I only have 300 per month but that's okay, I don't actually talk on the phone much.

Sprints coverage isn't as good, but even if I would have trimmed my Verizon plan down, it was still $90.00 per month versus $35.00 for Virgin and even if I kicked the Virgin plan up to unlimited minutes, it is still only $55.00 per month.

Bottom line is Verizon has great coverage and I used it all over the country. Virgin, not nearly as good but at less than half the cost, I can live with it.

this is the reason i left them 10 years ago. for about 6-7 months in a row they were charging me for going over on TXT even though i had UNLIMITED TXT! i would tell them this every time and they would tell me the same thing "i see that here, IDK what happened but i'll fix it right now" then about the 6th time they got mad at ME for calling and getting too many refunds even though it was THEIR fault i needed the refunds. so one day i was at the mall and just walked into the sprint store to check out what was new and the guy offered to pay my last bill and cancellation fees (for 2 phone). needless to say i dropped verizon like a bad habbit. fast forward to now, i thought things would be better but they CS is worse then ever, i haven't been charged anything extra though...yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

$10 less per month than what I'm already paying, and I have to buy my own phone. Assuming my phone cost $600, I'd have to be saving $12.50 to gain anything once I include the subsidized price of the phone. Not much gained there if I factor in my unlimited data plan. I suppose if you didn't already have an unlimited plan, it might make more sense if you're stuck paying a higher rate. That is, if you want more than 2GB of data before you get throttled.
Quote:
Aio Pro

Plan Details

Unlimited Data (includes high speed access for the first 7GB of data)
Unlimited Talk (includes voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, and 3-way calling)
Unlimited Messaging (includes short messages, pictures, and videos)
Maximum data download speeds reduced when usage exceeds high speed allotment
Your plan price includes applicable state and local taxes, and fees
Included plan features for domestic use only
Available only with smartphones
Additional Plan Information and Terms
$ 70.00 month
If you don't use much data, then I guess the next step down makes more sense
Quote:
Aio Smart

Unlimited Data (includes high speed access for the first 2GB of data)
(rest is the same)
$ 55.00 month
and this if you don't use data at all
Quote:
Aio Basic

Plan Details

Unlimited Data (includes high speed access for the first 250MB of data)
(rest is the same)
$ 40.00 month
Of course it's barely offered anywhere even though it uses the same network.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Meanwhile....there is an angelino somewhere frantically dialing the sprint mobile customer service to port his number from verizon. It's a merry go around...
Old 07-14-2013, 8:45 PM

Amen! I have the note 2 with Verizon as well...great service and great phone! Also, sign up with an online Verizon account...you get free data usage alerts...or your phone has a free data widget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMike619 View Post
Told Sprint to kiss my butt, and switched to Verizon...a network that actually has 4G...and it works. Have a 6gb plan a month for me and wife....hope we dont go over? Sprint was unlimited data....but only when it worked. Anyone else recently switch over to Verizon? By the way...the Samsung Note II is incredible! Your thoughts...
Old 07-14-2013, 8:46 PM

Never had an issue with surprise charges unless there was overage...post a copy of your bill...I want to see the sneaky charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplestack3 View Post
Verizon has a good network, but they liked to sneak additional surcharges onto my bills thinking that I wouldn't notice. I tried to cancel and it took 3 phone calls to get things cancelled. Their customer service is absolutely abysmal and their rates are high. I had Verizon for 10 years and am kicking myself for not switching sooner.

I hope you have better luck with Verizon than my family did.