Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-10-2008, 8:57 AM

Default HAKKO MK III vs. BSA PMRS???

Hi All,

did some searches, but couldn't find anything on these red dot sights. was able to find some reviews on Walmart. are these worth it?

HAKKO MKIII or
BSA PMRS
????

I found the BSA PMRS on walmart for about $55, but it's made in china

the HAKKO is apprently made in Japan, i believe. I've read that these are fine for airsoft or 5.56(.223) but anything bigger and the glass may fall off. I think these look cool, and simple, and much cheaper than the Eotech's and Trijicons. can't afford those yet.

here's a link to the walmart one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6498035

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-10-2008, 9:18 AM

I know you did not list this one but i was at waliworld buying some ammo yesterday to take my new AR to the range for the first time and i saw the BSA RD30 (listed on your link also) so i though i would give it a try . . . well it was a piece of S#$%. It was only $29.95 and i got what i paid for. It would not sight in and the mount would not stay tight, came lose after each shot. It was afraid to tigten it any more for fear of stripping the threads. Maybe with some locktite it would have stayed but this may give you an idea of BSA quality.

It was cheap and and i think i got what i paid for! there you go my $.02.

BTW: I will be returning mine today and putting the $30 toward a better setup.
Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme
Browning Citori Ultra
Mossberg 500
Old 04-10-2008, 9:48 AM

Thanks for the info Cypher. I'm a newbie so not sure, but if you can pull the screws out, you can use some plumbers tape (as a sealant) to keep the screws tight...just a thought...not sure if it'll work ok or not.

I've read that the glass falls off, from the review off of walmart. Anyone tried the Hakko version? it's bout $150. Supposedly made in Japan, which should have better quality. anyone knows if it's available/in stock at the Walmart in SanJose, Milpitas, or Fremont?

Last edited by DDRH; 04-10-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Old 04-10-2008, 8:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer

IMHO, all sights of this design are toys. I wouldn't trust my life or my reputation to one. The glass is held in place by a VERY FLIMSY piece of aluminum. One good wack and its outta there. It's too easy for dust or other foreign matter to get in between the LED and glass, partially or completely blocking the light path. Most of the optics have large distortions near the edges, and use a cheap dichroic coating that has a lot of colloration. Large eyebox is the main reason to buy a red dot sight, so look for one with good quality glass. I recommend that you get a red dot sight of the tubular construction, with windows on both ends to keep dirt out.

As cypher found out, the cheap Chinese stuff has almost no quality control. I wouldn't expect any sight selling for less than $50 to be reliable. My price threshold would be $100.

Good luck.

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent
Old 04-10-2008, 9:12 PM

You did not mention your application of the scope, but I am assuming range shooting.

If your application has anything to do with protecting life, I would recommend that you save your money and get some quality glass such as an Aimpoint or Eotech.

A lower priced, quality "Target" red dot would be an Ultra Dot.

I would never rely solely on anything battery powered to protect life, spend a lot of time using your iron sights. Don't use gadgets as a crutch to bypass fundamentals.