Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-04-2013, 4:05 PM

Unhappy Installed my old SATA HDD into computer, Powers up but won't boot

Well, just as the title states I installed a 120 gb SATA Hard Drive into my PC today and after powering it on...it won't boot. In fact, it won't show anything at all. So now I search here for answer and must give embarrassing details of my misfortune.

During the installation process I had to remove my RAM so I can fit the HDD into the slot. After turning it on, it started beeping 3 times which made me wonder why (until I realized I was holding the RAM in my hand ) reinstalled the RAM and now i'm not getting anything.

I've tried removing the added HDD and even the Video Card suspecting it was underpowered, ending up with the same results. I'm planning on removing the CMOS battery and give it another go...but should i remove the Video Card also?
Old 05-04-2013, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

did you change the boot order?
Old 05-04-2013, 4:30 PM

hmmm good question, I didn't see any IDE Pins on the back of the hard disk?

Update:

Removed the added HDD, removed and re-installed the CMOS battery, still same result. Powers up with no Boot.

Last edited by Verci0013; 05-04-2013 at 4:36 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ah, do you mean you added this new drive, so now you have two in your machine, or you only had 1 drive and replaced it with this one?

If you have replaced your boot drive (the later scenario), then it must have the OS installed on it. That can still be a problem for some proprietary machines since the OS will only run on the machine it was originally configured on.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 05-04-2013, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

You removed the CMOS battery? That's NOT a good idea. Does the drive show up in POST?

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!
Old 05-04-2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net View Post
Ah, do you mean you added this new drive, so now you have two in your machine, or you only had 1 drive and replaced it with this one?

If you have replaced your boot drive (the later scenario), then it must have the OS installed on it. That can still be a problem for some proprietary machines since the OS will only run on the machine it was originally configured on.
I mean the first one, it now has two devices in my machine
Old 05-04-2013, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it was working fine before, completely unplug the new drive, check all of the existing drive connections, make sure your memory sticks are properly seated and try booting it again. Process of elimination my friend.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 05-04-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
You removed the CMOS battery? That's NOT a good idea. Does the drive show up in POST?
I can't even see POST, all i'm getting is power to the machine but that's it. Video isn't showing up, keyboard and Mouse unresponsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net View Post
If it was working fine before, completely unplug the new drive, check all of the existing drive connections, make sure your memory sticks are properly seated and try booting it again. Process of elimination my friend.
  • unplugged new drive
  • checked all existing connections
  • checked memory sticks
  • booted again

same result.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verci0013 View Post
I can't even see POST, all i'm getting is power to the machine but that's it. Video isn't showing up, keyboard and Mouse unresponsive.

• unplugged new drive
  • checked memory sticks
  • booted again

same result.
You sure its SATA? 120GB is pretty small unless it's really old. SAS and SATA connections look he same, but the protocols are different.

Old 05-04-2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
You sure its SATA? 120GB is pretty small unless it's really old. SAS and SATA connections look he same, but the protocols are different.
not 100% sure it's SATA, it's connected to a SATA cord so I figured it was SATA. It came from a Compaq I had back in 09..does that count as old?
Old 05-04-2013, 5:48 PM
In Memoriam

Go back to zero with original HD, one stick of ram, optical drives unplugged. No reason it should not start. I mean no GOOD reason.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:49 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
not 100% sure it's SATA, it's connected to a SATA cord so I figured it was SATA. It came from a Compaq I had back in 09..does that count as old?
You owe us all a beer for not being rude.

Go back to basics as I said.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:51 PM
In Memoriam

Multiple restarts, including hitting the switch on the power supply, and waiting 10 min, can help too. There are capacitors on motherboards that are not easily fooled.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:56 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Go back to zero with original HD, one stick of ram, optical drives unplugged. No reason it should not start. I mean no GOOD reason.
If it doesn't work, rotate in another ram chip, but don't use all of them. Like Paul mentioned, just use one ram stick, to rule out a bad ram stick. Or use another stick in another slot, to rule out a bad ram slot.

Did the ram make that nice pop you hear, when the ram is positively in the slot?
Old 05-04-2013, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Compaq. Figures. Do what paul0660 suggested. Go back to when it was running. Hopefully yanking the CMOS battery didn't turn your PC into an elaborate paperweight.

Old 05-04-2013, 6:01 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Did you put the RAM back in?
So now you are trying to run 2 SATA hard drives?
If that's the case your OS is freaking out and trying to boot from the HD that has no OS installed. I looked into adding a SSHD in my computer along side my SATA. Even doing that the new SSHD needed to be prepped using a USB port and special software to do it. Things started looking to complicated for a lap top and no room , so I didn't try.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When you got the computer, did it come with or did you make a set of recovery disks?
Old 05-04-2013, 7:59 PM

Do you see BIOS at all or is it a black screen? You can try to take out cmos battery but you may also need to reset the BIOS jumper. Its usually located near the CMOS battery. You switch it to the other side.... power the system up, power it back down..... move the jumper back.... then power the system back up. That should reset BIOS. If it's not posting... and not showing BIOS... it may be your motherboard... did you use ESD strap or atleast ground yourself? That's one reason why you should.... Could also be RAM.... eliminate all this headache by making sure you use ESD strap and make sure the system is unplugged when being worked on I like to press the power a couple time to help drain power after unplugging the power cord....

Last edited by HmoobWarrior; 05-04-2013 at 8:11 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 8:07 PM

You might want to check if your PSU (Power supply unit) is working properly. How? Easiest is something like this....

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...su_tester2.jpg

Lights up to tell you that you have all power coming from the PSU.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I've tried this, I even rotated the RAM as suggested by creampuff. same result.

Quote:
Multiple restarts, including hitting the switch on the power supply, and waiting 10 min, can help too. There are capacitors on motherboards that are not easily fooled.
Giving this a shot right now.

Quote:
Compaq. Figures. Do what paul0660 suggested. Go back to when it was running. Hopefully yanking the CMOS battery didn't turn your PC into an elaborate paperweight.
I'm starting to regret making that decision of yanking the CMOS battery...
Old 05-04-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
I've tried this, I even rotated the RAM as suggested by creampuff. same result.

Giving this a shot right now.

I'm starting to regret making that decision of yanking the CMOS battery...
Yanking your CMOS battery doesn't do crap to your motherboard. As long as it holds a charge and you reset the jumper near the CMOS battery for BIOS reset... you should be able to see BIOS. IF not... it may be other issue... potentially PSU or other possibility.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmoobWarrior View Post
Do you see BIOS at all or is it a black screen? You can try to take out cmos battery but you may also need to reset the BIOS jumper. Its usually located near the CMOS battery. You switch it to the other side.... power the system up, power it back down..... move the jumper back.... then power the system back up. That should reset BIOS. If it's not posting... and not showing BIOS... it may be your motherboard... did you use ESD strap or atleast ground yourself? That's one reason why you should.... Could also be RAM.... eliminate all this headache by making sure you use ESD strap and make sure the system is unplugged when being worked on I like to press the power a couple time to help drain power after unplugging the power cord....
Thank you, Going to give this a shot too, completely forgot about the jumper haha
Old 05-04-2013, 8:17 PM

Check your motherboard if there are any shiny black burnt color on the chipset like your north bridge and or south bridge.... and check the capacitor for leaks.... here is a shot of blown cap

http://www.eracc.com/images/gigabyte_mb_blown_caps.jpg
Old 05-04-2013, 8:18 PM

WELL...I don't know how the hell this happened. But as I was searching to reset the BIOS Jumper, I found it on the bottom of the case and it was unplugged...so now I don't know where to put it.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
WELL...I don't know how the hell this happened. But as I was searching to reset the BIOS Jumper, I found it on the bottom of the case and it was unplugged...so now I don't know where to put it.
There's only three pin. The jumper usually sits on the first two left side. Then when you place it on the second and third pin, that is reseting it. Once done... just put it back to pin one and two. Here is a shot. Notice this one is sitting on pin one and two.

http://blog.thepcmechanic.org/wp-con...11/08/cmos.jpg

Last edited by HmoobWarrior; 05-04-2013 at 8:23 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Hmm... that maybe the problem too I hope... it is
Old 05-04-2013, 8:23 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

Take a pic of where the CMOS battery is, the jumper goes close by. Probably knocked it loose when you pulled the battery. Pulling the CMOS doesn't hurt anything, all it does is keep the motherboard's clock running when the machine has no power.

Also, once you get it working boot it up without the old hdd plugged in to the Sata cable, just power. After you get to the desktop you can plug in the sata cable. Sata is a hot-swappable protocol, won't harm anything. Most likely you'll have to reassign the drive letter so there's no conflict, then you should be able to access it.

Last edited by billofrights; 05-04-2013 at 8:26 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
There's only three pin. The jumper usually sits on the first two left side. Then when you place it on the second and third pin, that is reseting it. Once done... just put it back to pin one and two. Here is a shot. Notice this one is sitting on pin one and two.

http://blog.thepcmechanic.org/wp-con...11/08/cmos.jpg
THANK GOD YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER. Apparently they put the jumper right under the SATA connections, so I must have knocked it off while I was installing it

IT BOOTED UP! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
THANK GOD YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER. Apparently they put the jumper right under the SATA connections, so I must have knocked it off while I was installing it

IT BOOTED UP! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!
I'm a Computer Technician Anytime man... glad I can help... makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Have fun.. you learned something today... make sure you use ESD, unplug power cord and push power button a couple time to help drain power from components.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
I'm a Computer Technician Anytime man... glad I can help... makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Have fun.. you learned something today... make sure you use ESD, unplug power cord and push power button a couple time to help drain power from components.
Yep, I need to start doing this more often. I was starting to fear I shorted something

Thanks again man!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Did you just make a reference to a telephone cord that snaps to your wrist?
Old 05-06-2013, 7:50 PM

Why only a 120g hd? I have several 500 sata laying around if you need something larger for low price or trade
Old 05-07-2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Did you just make a reference to a telephone cord that snaps to your wrist?
LOL!! I guess you can call it that if you want to be sarcastic
Old 05-08-2013, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just slap the metal of the case when power is plugged into grounded outlet & power supply, only hold parts after doing so, and you'll be fine. Don't walk around on carpet with parts in hand.
Old 05-08-2013, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Just slap the metal of the case when power is plugged into grounded outlet & power supply, only hold parts after doing so, and you'll be fine. Don't walk around on carpet with parts in hand.
I make sure the power is plugged in and touch the metal frame before doing anything. If I have to leave the room and come back, I touch a metal doorknob or something else metallic before touching the metal frame again.
Old 05-12-2013, 6:45 PM
CGSSA Associate

if your running a newer sata board, there is likely an "IDE simulation" setting in bios.

I had to do this to run an old installation (until I was able to backup what i needed)

good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

• unplugged new drive
  • checked memory sticks
  • booted again

same result.
Is it even showing BIOS screen?

"Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie