Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-03-2013, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Question 10/22 failing to fire

So i'm having this really strange problem with my 10/22 and it's starting to piss me off. It will fire, load the next round but it's like i never racked the slide. i charge the rifle eject a round load in a new round and i'm good to go, i can even reload the round i just ejected and it will fire. When i pull the trigger it's mush as if the rifle has never been charged.

What could this be?
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 05-03-2013, 4:05 PM

I had my 10/22 in very cold conditions , I cleaned the bolt and firing pin , when I got home. Other things are ammo , Clean bolt ,get new box of ammo. Hope this helps, My 10/22 was so cold and in need of cleaning it would not work.
Old 05-03-2013, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Old gun new gun?

IS it original ruger guts or did you change parts.

Did you dissasemble it?
Did you reassemble correctly?
George Patton
Old 05-03-2013, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

it's an older gun but it has less than 1000 rounds down the damn thing. all original Ruger parts. it's never been completely torn down that i can remember but if it has it's wasn't by me.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 05-03-2013, 8:55 PM

Where do you live? If you want bring it to my shop in Yucaipa and I can disassemble with you and help you figure it out. Shops name is Stars and Stripes Tactical.

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG
Old 05-03-2013, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default What could this be?

It's called crud. Strip it down and clean it well - especially the bolt parts.

P.S. - Don't loose the firing pin spring.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 05-03-2013, 9:37 PM

Pull the trigger group out and see if you can feel the hammer spur in hole at the back of the trigger group when it is fully cocked.(Thumb pushing the hammer back till it stops)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDG87YQ59UE At 5.29 he puts in the hammer spur and spring

If you can feel it then it might be hitting the stock and not reseting the trigger . try turning the hammer spur over.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks guys looks like i'll spend tomorrow tearing her down to bits.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
Thanks guys looks like i'll spend tomorrow tearing her down to bits.
This isn't an all day-er!

Clean the bolt. It's not absolutely necessary to disassemble the bolt. Hit it with some gun scrubber or even some non chlor brake cleaner spray. Blow it out good with an air compressor.

Then simple make sure your Hammer STRUT (B18) with spring assembly (B44) is in the hole in the back of the trigger housing WITH THE KEEPER (B45) POINTED UP TOWARD THE SKY as pic.
Check to ensure your round is being hit on the rim sufficiently. If not it's time for a new firing pin & fp spring.
Cleaning and assembling properly should cure it!
Good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Here's something else: http://home.earthlink.net/~nrwilson01/triggermods/

http://extreme-precision.forum-2007....22-tips-tricks

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/...ob%20high.html

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 05-04-2013, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Just have to strip it down and clean it. I was at Angeles yesterday and had a FTF with my 10/22 once every ten rounds. I'm assuming its filthy inside.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 05-04-2013, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNunez23 View Post
Just have to strip it down and clean it. I was at Angeles yesterday and had a FTF with my 10/22 once every ten rounds. I'm assuming its filthy inside.
What time were you there, i was there from 1-3.

Anyway i took everything apart, EVERYTHING! i think next time it might be less painful to buy a new 10/22. more my fought then anything i just started popping out pins and unscrewing everything and then looked at the directions. Everything looked to match up with the videos and photos i looked at. i could be wrong but i think the problem was the 2 pounds of sand, grit and grime i found under the bcg (i'm sure thats the wrong term). rebuilding this thing was a huge headache but next time it should go smoother as it wont be my first t6ime in the guts of the 10/22

I'll take it out next week to make sure everything is in working order.

Thanks all

Also my buffer was/is super loose is that normal?

Last edited by morfeeis; 05-04-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i could be wrong but i think the problem was the 2 pounds of sand, grit and grime i found under the bcg

That dirty..
now that its clean..Should be GTG.

My steel bufffer did that then I replaced
it with a urethane buffer.
No issues
George Patton
Old 05-04-2013, 9:46 PM

The bolt buffer can be lose sometimes. No problem!
Sounds like you got the issues addressed.
Let us know!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What time were you there, i was there from 1-3.

Anyway i took everything apart, EVERYTHING! i think next time it might be less painful to buy a new 10/22. more my fought then anything i just started popping out pins and unscrewing everything and then looked at the directions. Everything looked to match up with the videos and photos i looked at. i could be wrong but i think the problem was the 2 pounds of sand, grit and grime i found under the bcg (i'm sure thats the wrong term). rebuilding this thing was a huge headache but next time it should go smoother as it wont be my first t6ime in the guts of the 10/22

I'll take it out next week to make sure everything is in working order.

Thanks all

Same time!! Where you on the rifle end? Or pistol?

Buffer tube loose? I have an extra Tuffer Buffer if you need it. I can mail it out to you.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!

Last edited by JNunez23; 05-04-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNunez23 View Post
Same time!! Where you on the rifle end? Or pistol?
Pistol side right next to the shotgun skeet thingy. I was killing the steel with my 22wmr bolt gun and my single shot 10/22. I also was the a-hole with the ar that had the insanely loud comp on it.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Pistol side right next to the shotgun skeet thingy. I was killing the steel with my 22wmr bolt gun and my single shot 10/22. I also was the a-hole with the ar that had the insanely loud comp on it.
LOL! Damn, I was wearing double ears so I might have walked right past you. Since you go weekdays, PM me next time. I'll tag along.

Old 05-05-2013, 7:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I wish i could go on weekdays, it was a family members birthday and she said she wanted to go shooting, i took the time to fulfill that request.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoteman View Post
This isn't an all day-er!

Clean the bolt. It's not absolutely necessary to disassemble the bolt. Hit it with some gun scrubber or even some non chlor brake cleaner spray. Blow it out good with an air compressor.

Then simple make sure your Hammer STRUT (B18) with spring assembly (B44) is in the hole in the back of the trigger housing WITH THE KEEPER (B45) POINTED UP TOWARD THE SKY as pic.
Check to ensure your round is being hit on the rim sufficiently. If not it's time for a new firing pin & fp spring.
Cleaning and assembling properly should cure it!
Good luck!

damn it how did i miss that! i don't have a B45, the spring and the rod were just loose when i tore it down. B44 and B18 just rolled around when i took them out.
I was all set to take fire to the 10/22 as it did the same thing when i went to the range again tonight (fai8led to fire and became a damn bolt action 10/22). On the bright side, thought i was just going to get 15 minutes of shooting time and it turnes out angeles is now open till 9 . to bad i only bought 2 magazines.

Now i get to order a $0.50 part and pay $7 to ship it, lol o well.

Last edited by morfeeis; 05-08-2013 at 10:55 PM..