Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Traveling from Shasta County to Santa Clara Country Regularly

Quick question regarding travelling through multiple counties regularly.
My daughter has Cystic Fibrosis, so we travel to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto regularly.
We live in a Shasta County, which is CCW friendly, but the the bay area is definitely not.
So far I haven't had any issues, I was pulled over in Williams (Colusa County) for rolling a stop sign (the sign is behind a power poll) I handed him my license and CCW permit, has asked if I was armed and where it was, I told him in the door, and he gave me a warning for rolling the sign and sent me on my way.

I would imagine my experience would be much different farther south. Am I obligated to pass over my permit? Is it recommended?

Also, we travel through South San Francisco, I carry with hollow points, I cant find whether or not I am violating the law as we travel through... there isn't anything I can do about it anyway.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson.redding View Post
Quick question regarding travelling through multiple counties regularly.
My daughter has Cystic Fibrosis, so we travel to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto regularly.
We live in a Shasta County, which is CCW friendly, but the the bay area is definitely not.
So far I haven't had any issues, I was pulled over in Williams (Colusa County) for rolling a stop sign (the sign is behind a power poll) I handed him my license and CCW permit, has asked if I was armed and where it was, I told him in the door, and he gave me a warning for rolling the sign and sent me on my way.

I would imagine my experience would be much different farther south. Am I obligated to pass over my permit? Is it recommended?

Also, we travel through South San Francisco, I carry with hollow points, I cant find whether or not I am violating the law as we travel through... there isn't anything I can do about it anyway.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

I found this on Calgunlaws.com. It has all the info you need. Short story: the ban that they passed literally bans no ammo that is available for sale today. It only bans ammo that is literally identical to Black Talons. As long as you are not carrying Black Talons, you're fine.

Take a look at the link for more details.

http://www.calgunlaws.com/facing-nra...ion-after-all/
Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks! That helps clarify the hollow point law. Any other suggestions when interacting with LEO in the bay area would be welcome
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks! That helps clarify the hollow point law. Any other suggestions when interacting with LEO in the bay area would be welcome
Well...I think the general rule of thumb is to give them as much info as needed; including your CCW. Legally, they can't jam you up for carrying concealed if you have a CCW. However, every situation is different and every LEO is different.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If your license says 'show to LEO' then you must do that.

Otherwise, up to you.

I think your practice at the stop you describe is probably a good one; if Contra Costa ever would issue a license to me, that's what I would do when I was detained.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
In Memoriam

I am not required to inform; the lieutenant who interviewed me said it is common courtesy to do so regardless.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
I am not required to inform; the lieutenant who interviewed me said it is common courtesy to do so regardless.
Depending on what officer stops you and what kind of mood he's in that "common courtesy" could end up costing you a night in the slammer with the charges dropped the next day. This is not hypothetical, it happened to a family member.
Old 05-03-2013, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your CCW is good in every county and city of the state.

Period.

I travel fairly extensively all over the state and where I am does not really cross my mind much.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-04-2013, 8:23 AM

Thanks for all the responses, i get most nervous at Stanford Children's Hospital, nothing is posted there, but i would imagine they are opposed to ccw, www.calguns.com is blocked from there wifi.
Nothing really to do but "carry" on.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses, i get most nervous at Stanford Children's Hospital, nothing is posted there, but i would imagine they are opposed to ccw, www.calguns.com is blocked from there wifi.
Nothing really to do but "carry" on.
Many organizations have filtering software that generically blocks categories such as violence and most likely guns, ammo, weapons etc., are is this default category. Since you travel there frequently, you may be able to send a request to their Information Systems group to have this particular web site unblocked. I would not request to have the entire category unblocked, but they may be willing to unblock one specific site.

I was a Regional Network for a Large Hospital network and we did unblock some requested sites, so I know that it can be done for you. Just be polite about it and let them know how much time you spend there. Some organizations are very accommodating.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-04-2013, 9:17 AM

My (non-LEO) understanding is that, as a LTC holder, if a LEO runs the plates on a car registered in my name, or runs my DL #, they are likely to find out that I have an LTC, so not revealing my LTC status is likely to be seen as uncooperative/deceptive.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Many organizations have filtering software that generically blocks categories such as violence and most likely guns, ammo, weapons etc., are is this default category. Since you travel there frequently, you may be able to send a request to their Information Systems group to have this particular web site unblocked. I would not request to have the entire category unblocked, but they may be willing to unblock one specific site.

I was a Regional Network for a Large Hospital network and we did unblock some requested sites, so I know that it can be done for you. Just be polite about it and let them know how much time you spend there. Some organizations are very accommodating.
Thanks for the info! I will likely do that next time we have to stay a couple days!