Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-01-2013, 6:37 PM

Default 80% 10/22 build recomendations

Hey all I am looking at building a few 10/22's for the range; wife, boys, and maybe even for myself given the price of ammo.

For the 80% receiver I was looking at this place for the blanks:

http://ruger1022receiver.3dcartstore...lanks_c_7.html

Seems a little steep in price but looks like a solid product.

Anyone recommend any other parts? I am looking for sub 1" groups at 100 yards with a 16.5" but certainly not more than 2" at 100 yards. For the kids weight is a huge factor and for myself and the wife not so much.

I don't mind spending some coin if it is super light and accurate for the boys, but given I am looking at possibly 4 rifles the more "bang for my buck" I can get the better as my discretionary budget will get eaten up quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2013, 6:46 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

If you are willing to wait for them to come back into stock, I think the 80% receivers and jigs from tactical machining are a better option. I have 2 waiting to build myself. receiver, and jig.
Old 05-01-2013, 6:49 PM

I am in no hurry; but I want to start to get things planned out as I want to be able to get out and shoot this summer. I'll take a look at those receivers. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 PM

I built one of those receivers you posted the link for and I know a couple others who have too. Very nice quality receivers, fit and finish was great. Rifle runs smooth, no malfunctions yet! They are good to go, and quick shipping.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM

DRH777
"I built one of those receivers you posted the link for and I know a couple others who have too. Very nice quality receivers, fit and finish was great. Rifle runs smooth, no malfunctions yet! They are good to go, and quick shipping."

how difficult was the receiver work, esp. the barrel hole?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't have any comments on the kits, but I do have an FYI. In my experience by the time you drop $130 into a receiver, another $50-100 into the bolt, $50 into a factory trigger and another $50 into misc hardware it would be cheaper to grab factory rifles when they go on sale and use that receiver, bolt assembly, trigger assembly (with mods) and the misc hardware as the base of your rifles. Now if you just want to have the fun of finishing the receiver and have the extra money then that's a good reason, but I just wanted to make sure you understand that you're not saving any money unless you plan on 100% aftermarket parts. I built this one using a NoDak receiver and the only factory parts are the bolt and a few pins and screws.

The keys to accuracy are the barrel, the trigger, the ammo, and the way the barrel and receiver fit the stock (bedding). If you go 100% aftermarket you're looking at the $130 for the receiver, $100 for the bolt assembly, $100-300 for the barrel, $200-300 for the trigger group, $50 for miscellaneous hardware, $100-150 for a nice stock per rifle.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 05-02-2013, 6:03 AM

Here's my Razor 22LR.

Fun to build, fun to shoot. Mainly for the challenge and satisfaction of a home built firearm or 80% with no registration. Not the cheapest way to get to a nice 10/22. Get a factory donor rifle if you want less expensive.

Phil/owner at SelectFireLLC is a nice guy, will help out with any questions you might have. Be sure to take a look at and post your finished build on the "completed builds" page when finished!

Robert

Last edited by tanakasan; 05-02-2013 at 6:44 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 2:45 PM

Thanks for the input, I have been looking for a donor rifle but I am likely to only use the receiver and maybe the trigger group for the kids until they learn to shoot some. I haven't seen any rifles for less than 250 most seem to want 300-500 which is crazy to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a trigger group for kids learning to shoot? I have looked at some of the adjustable ones and figure I could set it to like a 5lb pull; I am concerned that a low weight trigger pull will be more likely to result in an accidental discharge by the boys. With that in mind I was think of a factory trigger group for them then upgrading it later.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2013, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

No idea where you are but Turners Outdorrsman has the basic 10/22 on sale for $ 220.

Not a bad price.

Check out rimfirecental.com for all the cool upgrades and accuracy tricks.
Old 05-02-2013, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphage View Post
Thanks for the input, I have been looking for a donor rifle but I am likely to only use the receiver and maybe the trigger group for the kids until they learn to shoot some. I haven't seen any rifles for less than 250 most seem to want 300-500 which is crazy to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a trigger group for kids learning to shoot? I have looked at some of the adjustable ones and figure I could set it to like a 5lb pull; I am concerned that a low weight trigger pull will be more likely to result in an accidental discharge by the boys. With that in mind I was think of a factory trigger group for them then upgrading it later.

Any thoughts?
If your boys know the rules, their finger wouldnt be on the trigger for a AD .

I went cheap and did a VQ hammer and bolt hold back kit and have been very pleased. I even made Rifleman with it at my last Appleseed. It dropped the weight down to ~2.5lb with a nice crisp reset and break.
Old 05-02-2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
If your boys know the rules, their finger wouldnt be on the trigger for a AD .

I went cheap and did a VQ hammer and bolt hold back kit and have been very pleased. I even made Rifleman with it at my last Appleseed. It dropped the weight down to ~2.5lb with a nice crisp reset and break.

This will end up being the rifle they learn on; so while I will be sure they know the rules it wouldn't hurt to have a trigger that needs a little work to make the rifle go boom. I have taught many people to shoot and even the most attentive learners love to place the finger on the trigger before they have the target 100% in sight. I always pay attention to this and prevent it from happening but if adults with graduate degrees like to skip steps I can bet my boys will try... and I will stop them... but I still think its a little better to have a slightly heavy trigger to learn on that still has a clean break. I take safety very seriously and while I haven't posted that as a priority, I do agree that there is NO replacement for safe handling of firearms.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:03 PM

And whats wrong with learning on a box stock 10/22?

Many have done just that! They are a great platform to learn on and modify. You could start with the factory rifle and as time, money and skill improve, get into upgrades with your kids. Sounds like a winner to me!

Also re-reading the OP, "super light and accurate" does not come cheap. Especially x4! Just as an example, the KIDD single stage trigger alone is $215. It can be set from 1-1/2# to 5# and breaks clean and sharp. You can get a complete 10/22 for (almost) the same money.

Robert

Last edited by tanakasan; 05-02-2013 at 6:05 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 6:13 PM

The barrel hole obviously was the most taxing part of the job. I had mine set upon a mill, and just use multiple steps in bit sizes with plenty of lube and went slow. Came out really great. My only problem I had with the hole thing was one of the trigger group pin holes got boogered up due to a crappy drill bit they supplied and I didn't catch it. But I was able to fix it. The receivers are great. The jig works well. I would just recommend buying your own quality drill bits. Most of them where really standard bits. The one to make the dimple for the charging handle rod may be a little more specific and harder to find. Idk? Maybe just buy there kit and check them all first. And just buy new of whatever ones aren't great. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will all be good.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:24 PM

image.jpgHere's what it looks like.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:26 PM

image.jpgReceiver
Old 05-02-2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
And whats wrong with learning on a box stock 10/22?

Many have done just that! They are a great platform to learn on and modify. You could start with the factory rifle and as time, money and skill improve, get into upgrades with your kids. Sounds like a winner to me!

Also re-reading the OP, "super light and accurate" does not come cheap. Especially x4! Just as an example, the KIDD single stage trigger alone is $215. It can be set from 1-1/2# to 5# and breaks clean and sharp. You can get a complete 10/22 for (almost) the same money.

Robert

There is nothing wrong with learning on a stock 10/22 but I thought it would be nice to make something special for them. Selfishly, it would be fun for me, a rifle we would continue to use well in the future, and no DROS fees. I would like to get a rifle done for <$800 which isn't a bad deal for that kind of accuracy.
Old 05-02-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh777 View Post
The barrel hole obviously was the most taxing part of the job. I had mine set upon a mill, and just use multiple steps in bit sizes with plenty of lube and went slow. Came out really great. My only problem I had with the hole thing was one of the trigger group pin holes got boogered up due to a crappy drill bit they supplied and I didn't catch it. But I was able to fix it. The receivers are great. The jig works well. I would just recommend buying your own quality drill bits. Most of them where really standard bits. The one to make the dimple for the charging handle rod may be a little more specific and harder to find. Idk? Maybe just buy there kit and check them all first. And just buy new of whatever ones aren't great. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will all be good.
That is a good looking rifle. I have a buddy with a whole machine shop so I should be able to get everything done accurately, thanks for the pointers. Were you okay with the finish, some people were complaining about it being a little rough?
Old 05-02-2013, 7:02 PM

You can see some machining marks underneath the anodizing. Most of it is covered by the stock though. And it's not that bad anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 7:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Turners has 10/22s for $230 this week. Depending on their age I'd start the kids on completely stock 10/22s (or better yet a kid sized bolt action CZ) and let them master iron sights before building scoped rifles for them. After a few months or years you can drop in a Volquartsen hammer kit (2-1/2lb trigger job in a box) for $50 or a Kidd adjustable for $110, then you can make stocks, barrels, and optics a future Christmas present and series of father-son projects. Good sources for parts are Shooter's Discount, MidwayUSA, and coolguyguns (Kidd).

Let's look at what it's going to cost to build yourself an almost no Ruger parts rifle.
  • 80% receiver $130
  • Aftermarket bolt $100+
  • Volquartsen trigger group $220, or a Kidd 2-stage for $300
  • Steel barrel - Green Mountain $100-150, or Volquartsen for 200+, or Kidd for $200+
  • Stock $100-200
  • Misc hardware $50-75
  • Scope $250+

Keep in mind that you have to feed these things to. A $1000 spitting out $15/brick ammo isn't going to be much more accurate than a completely stock rifle. You're going to need $60+/brick target ammo to get maximum accuracy, and match barrels will not chamber hyper velocity ammo.

I've built a few 10/22s so I have a bit of experience with this stuff.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Last edited by sholling; 05-02-2013 at 7:12 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 7:10 PM

Nice rifles sholling, seen your pics before somewhere else. Mind me asking what the stock is on the top rifle?
Old 05-02-2013, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh777 View Post
Nice rifles sholling, seen your pics before somewhere else. Mind me asking what the stock is on the top rifle?
It's a revolution Trailblazer in solid walnut.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart...rh-walnut.html

Old 05-02-2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Turners has 10/22s for $230 this week. Depending on their age I'd start the kids on completely stock 10/22s (or better yet a kid sized bolt action CZ) and let them master iron sights before building scoped rifles for them. After a few months or years you can drop in a Volquartsen hammer kit (2-1/2lb trigger job in a box) for $50 or a Kidd adjustable for $110, then you can make stocks, barrels, and optics a future Christmas present and series of father-son projects. Good sources for parts are Shooter's Discount, MidwayUSA, and coolguyguns (Kidd).

Let's look at what it's going to cost to build yourself an almost no Ruger parts rifle.
  • 80% receiver $130
  • Aftermarket bolt $100+
  • Volquartsen trigger group $220, or a Kidd 2-stage for $300
  • Steel barrel - Green Mountain $100-150, or Volquartsen for 200+, or Kidd for $200+
  • Stock $100-200
  • Misc hardware $50-75
  • Scope $250+

Keep in mind that you have to feed these things to. A $1000 spitting out $15/brick ammo isn't going to be much more accurate than a completely stock rifle. You're going to need $60+/brick target ammo to get maximum accuracy, and match barrels will not chamber hyper velocity ammo.

I've built a few 10/22s so I have a bit of experience with this stuff.
Those are some fine rifles... is that a CF barrel on the bottom? I was eyeing that at midway you must tell me how it shoots!

I was looking at a bolt gun but I have ruled it out for a bunch of reasons. The big ones are I want a rifle that will be used later and a single shot 22 won't be used later if it isn't ultra accurate. (I have one that hasn't been used in forever) This makes for a very expensive bolt action rifle that holds no sentimental value that even if ultra accurate likely won't be used much if at all latter on. I can spend similar money on a custom 10/22 that is very accurate, will be used later, and has sentimental value.

sight wise, I was going to put iorn sights on the 10/22. I had my eyes on this company ( http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm ). As for scopes, I have plenty of scopes laying around so that is not an issue when its time to put it on or current costs.

Ammo well, the match ammo is way cheaper than the 223, 308, and 450 marlin that I shoot most frequently.

To give you an idea of my tastes, my next bolt gun is likely to be in 416 barrett.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Those are some fine rifles... is that a CF barrel on the bottom? I was eyeing that at midway you must tell me how it shoots!
Yes it's a Volquartsen CF and it shoots better than I can. This was a fairly average 50m 10rd group from it when I was still shooting every week. The first 5 or 6 all went in the hole on the right and then I got sloppy.

Quote:
I was looking at a bolt gun but I have ruled it out for a bunch of reasons. The big ones are I want a rifle that will be used later and a single shot 22 won't be used later if it isn't ultra accurate. (I have one that hasn't been used in forever) This makes for a very expensive bolt action rifle that holds no sentimental value that even if ultra accurate likely won't be used much if at all latter on.
I'm not trying to sell you on a bolt guns, I prefer 10/22s myself, but it takes a heck of a 10/22 build to out shoot a CZ455. 10/22s can be made just as accurate or even more accurate with enough tweaking, but it takes a lot of tweaking. You can also take the kid size scout and move it into an adult stock as they grow. Anyway back to 10/22s.

Quote:
I can spend similar money on a custom 10/22 that is very accurate, will be used later, and has sentimental value.
You'll spend more on the 10/22 but I fully agree with the sentimental value. The top one in that stack of photos was my dad's old old old beat up 10/22 that I fixed it up to his taste in his honor after he passed away 7 years ago - I just wish we'd been able to build it together. This was its first time out and I only had a half hour to zero the scope and leave. 5rds of Wolf at 25m.

Quote:
sight wise, I was going to put iorn sights on the 10/22. I had my eyes on this company ( http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm ). As for scopes, I have plenty of scopes laying around so that is not an issue when its time to put it on or current costs.
Tech-Sights are good stuff.

Quote:
To give you an idea of my tastes, my next bolt gun is likely to be in 416 barrett.
Nice taste. I can't afford to feed one of those so I have a baby Anschutz. And now that Izzy43 has showed me what my rifle can do with the right ammo in the right hands it's going to be my main squeeze, at least it will be after ammo becomes available. Talk about spooky triggers, the trigger is a two-stage factory adjusted to 9oz (4.5+4.5oz).

Last edited by sholling; 05-02-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yes it's a Volquartsen CF and it shoots better than I can. This was a fairly average 50m 10rd group from it when I was still shooting every week. The first 5 or 6 all went in the hole on the right and then I got sloppy.
Wow that is exactly what I am looking for, what is the lenght of your barrel? I see they have a 16.5" for the low low price of... well I can't even post it!

Quote:
I'm not trying to sell you on a bolt guns, I prefer 10/22s myself, but it takes a heck of a 10/22 build to out shoot a CZ455. 10/22s can be made just as accurate or even more accurate with enough tweaking, but it takes a lot of tweaking. You can also take the kid size scout and move it into an adult stock as they grow. Anyway back to 10/22s.
I spent a month or so "tweaking" online trying figure out what bolt gun I should get. The youth guns just don't have the quality and features I want so I would have to custom make a lot of parts which gets expensive. In the end even a cheaper youth bolt gun would get used for a few years and then sit there in my safe taking up valuable room - kind of a waist. All my other firearms are generally of the utilitarian (i.e. black rifles) variety, and for this gun I want it to be a cool looking range only gun... and the 10/22 just has the most cost effective options. The youth stocks are just so boring. You can get some cool laminates for the cricket but it doesn't have anywhere near the quality and usability for the long term that I am looking for. As it stands even with the 10/22 I am either going to need to make my own stocks from laminated blanks or modify an existing stock for the look I want. I am leaning toward something like a boyds ss evolution stock that I will need to modify to get an adjustable trigger pull length.

Quote:
You'll spend more on the 10/22 but I fully agree with the sentimental value. The top one in that stack of photos was my dad's old old old beat up 10/22 that I fixed it up to his taste in his honor after he passed away 7 years ago - I just wish we'd been able to build it together. This was its first time out and I only had a half hour to zero the scope and leave. 5rds of Wolf at 25m.
Yah my est is a couple hundred dolar difference but once over $500 I would much prefer to have a semi auto in 22lr. If it were 223, 308 or above I would consider a bolt gun but even then AR's are quite accurate these days.

Your father had nice taste, it is a shame he didn't get to build it with you, but its great that you have such a nice rifle to remember him by. I hope to build these for my boys and wife to shoot then later we can work on an AR together... from there they are on their own

Quote:
Tech-Sights are good stuff.
Good to hear, If I can't find what I need I might have to spend some time milling some custom ones myself... but by that point this turns into a year long project! Looks like there sleve will work on a bull barrel, but I would want a peap sight for the rail and I am unsure as to mixing and matching there product sights... More research is needed on my part to figure out what will and won't work. I would like the sights to be similar to what I have on my M&P 15T.

Quote:
Nice taste. I can't afford to feed one of those so I have a baby Anschutz. And now that Izzy43 has showed me what my rifle can do with the right ammo in the right hands it's going to be my main squeeze, at least it will be after ammo becomes available. Talk about spooky triggers, the trigger is a two-stage factory adjusted to 9oz (4.5+4.5oz).
LOL I can't afford to feed it either, let alone find a place to shoot it. But Its one more thing the anti's don't want me to have so I figure it would be fun to add to the collection. I probably would do an AR upper in single shot as that is available at a reasonable in price. But truly I think a good bolt gun should be shot at 300 + yards... I just don't have a place close enough to me that goes out that range. When I was back in Indiana I could go to a buddies ranch and was good to go... now that I am back in Cali... its back to the range and its limitations. Though I still need to move a few firearms back to this state.

A buddy of mine is quite a shot... he doesn't like to talk about it much but I think he competed at a near Olympic level at some point. Anyhow he was building a gun that had a trigger I could not believe, I don't remember exactly what the pull weight was but I think it was very similar to the trigger on your Anschutz... spooky is a good word describe those triggers! Maybe one day I'll settle down enough to justify a trigger that good!

Thanks for all your input and sharing your builds with me, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Wow that is exactly what I am looking for, what is the lenght of your barrel? I see they have a 16.5" for the low low price of... well I can't even post it!
It's an 18.5" but the compensator is just there for looks. Be sitting down when you check the price.

Old 05-04-2013, 9:17 AM

Check Tactical Solution X-Ring.. I completed my custom 10/22 and the ONLY Ruger part is my Magazine

Tactical Solution X-Ring Receiver
Lilja barrel, .920 Flutted, 22 inches, Threaded to the receiver
Kidd 2 Stage Trigger 8oz/8oz
Volquartsen VX 2500 Synthetic Black stock
Harris Bipod
Bushnell Elite 3.5-21 G2DMR (just got it 2 weeks ago) not in the picture.
Note: Scope in the pic was loan to me by Randal "AR15barrel" who threaded my barrel while I wait

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367684164.469489.jpgAttachment 229892

Last edited by Tripeaks69; 05-26-2013 at 1:32 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 9:30 AM

"Nice rifles sholling, seen your pics before somewhere else. Mind me asking what the stock is on the top rifle?"

Like that stock too!

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)