Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primers View Post
Or you could wait and see when the new 17 Win Magnums come to town....Thats what I am waiting for.......
Is that different than 17hmr?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRai2001 View Post
Is that different than 17hmr?

Yes, it's different. Check this out.

http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...cartridge.aspx
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
CGN Contributor

The bummer, and one the manufacture does not mention is; We (who live in the CA condor lead free zone), unless shooting paper, have to use lead free rounds. They are hard to find, cost more and........most agree the rimfire ammo’s accuracy and stopping power is terrible. Few are manufacturing it.
Old 04-21-2013, 6:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Yes Sir very different...and suposedly the rounds are going to be priced similar to 17HMR.....
Old 04-21-2013, 6:29 PM

Stay with the 22lr is a much better and the selection of the 22 are countless. 17 HMR and 17 HM2 only manufacture by CCI and Hornady, but if you have a heart on the 17 HMR the CZ455 combo will be good to go. CZ455 combo will get you a 17HMR barrel and a 22LR as well.
Old 05-03-2013, 1:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...nformation.pdf

This link would not support that claim in the Condor areas.

Don't get me wrong I think no-lead is a joke but not willing to lose my license over it.
I finally spoke to my local F&W Warden. Under current law, there is a loophole. When the lead free rounds went into effect, it was written for hunting game animals. It does not cover non game ground animals like squirrels. You also do not need a hunting license to shoot the squirrels. The warden said he is trying to get the law changed so that loop hole is done away with but nothing on the books right yet. For the time being, you can use lead .22 rimfire rounds for squirrels on non game animals and no need for a hunting license at least for depredation. I told him I didn’t want to get in trouble and wanted to make sure I was not breaking any law.
Old 05-03-2013, 1:48 PM

I have both and rarely shoot my Henry's .17 lever.

You can't shoot .17 against steel at most ranges.

You can't shoot .17 in most rimfire matches.

You can't shoot .17 in Bullseye matches.

But for hunting .17 is great.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I finally spoke to my local F&W Warden. Under current law, there is a loophole. When the lead free rounds went into effect, it was written for hunting game animals. It does not cover non game ground animals like squirrels. You also do not need a hunting license to shoot the squirrels. The warden said he is trying to get the law changed so that loop hole is done away with but nothing on the books right yet. For the time being, you can use lead .22 rimfire rounds for squirrels on non game animals and no need for a hunting license at least for depredation. I told him I didn’t want to get in trouble and wanted to make sure I was not breaking any law.
I feel your Warden is a very generous person...and he is overlooking the law.

My 5000+ acre Ranch within the condor zone has a ground squirrel problem..DFG says I must use non-lead. However, I can use lead pellets if I shoot pellet guns because DFG regulates Firearms and pellet guns are not firearms.

Under their Questions and Answers PDF download (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/)

Under the Question of "What are the regulations and options for hunting with .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms?"
In the answer it states:
"Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily) and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range."

"Are pellet rifles included in the non-lead ammunition ban?
Pellet rifles are not considered a firearm. Consequently, neither pellet rifles nor their projectiles would be included in the ban."

Either way how you want...I think it depends on the warden and the mood.

.17 caliber is definitely a much more superior rimfire in regards to hunting..they just work...I've since favoring the 17 and pellet guns.

Last edited by Varmintgetter; 05-06-2013 at 1:02 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintgetter View Post

My 5000+ acre Ranch within the condor zone has a ground squirrel problem..DFG says I must use non-lead. However, I can use lead pellets if I shoot pellet guns because DFG regulates Firearms and pellet guns are not firearms.

Under their Questions and Answers PDF download (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/)

Under the Question of "What are the regulations and options for hunting with .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms?"
In the answer it states:
"Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily) and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range."

Pellet rifles are not considered a firearm. Consequently, neither pellet rifles nor their projectiles would be included in the ban."

.17 caliber is definitely a much more superior rimfire in regards to hunting..they just work...I've since favoring the 17 and pellet guns.
I thought that was the situation as well. It isn't the fact that you are shooting lead into animals, it is the fact they are trying to protect condors, which in result can end up eating said animal and get lead poisoning. Condors are endangered as you all may know, which is why this lead ammunition is an issue to begin with.

I am personally all about the .22LR for small varmint hunting. They are cheap, effective, and probably the most you'd need for squirrel or rabbit. .17 rounds seem really great, but I feel for their price, it isn't worth the benefit you receive from them. If I wanted a rimfire round with more oomph, I think I'd still stick with the 22WMR.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short

Last edited by Dattebayo; 05-06-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 6:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintgetter View Post

In the answer it states:

About the loophole using lead free and no hunting license required for depredation for NON GAME GROUND ANIMALS, (Squirrels).
The warden is very schooled and articulate and is not happy that this satiation has been overlooked when drafting the current law that is in effect. If you would like to talk to him personally about the actual law send me a personal email and I will give you his name and number. He is well known and very active in the state F&W planning and an expert in it's law.