Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM
madstyle1's Avatar
madstyle1 madstyle1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 717
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default 5.11 Holster Shirt

Anyone in here has one or has experience with it? And pros and cons around this. It looks nice to have but is it worth it.

I have a galco iwb already but looking for more options. Thanks
__________________
Springfield XDs 9mm Bi-Tone
Springfield XDs 45acp Black
Franklin Armory Lower w/ Daniel Defense Upper AR
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2013, 9:27 AM
Zedrek's Avatar
Zedrek Zedrek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,804
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've read various reviews on it but haven't picked one up yet. I heard they run tight. It has pretty favorable reviews on Amazon.
__________________
My Zombie Apocalypse Collection
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2013, 8:01 PM
Sacmedic Sacmedic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: No. California
Posts: 198
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

For a small gun, like an LCP or S&W Airweight they will work. For a larger gun, especially all metal, not so good. I tried one and wasn't overly enthused. But, that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2013, 9:17 PM
madstyle1's Avatar
madstyle1 madstyle1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 717
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

tryin to see if it will be comfortable for a G19
__________________
Springfield XDs 9mm Bi-Tone
Springfield XDs 45acp Black
Franklin Armory Lower w/ Daniel Defense Upper AR
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
sltgunner's Avatar
sltgunner sltgunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 178
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Works, sorta...

I have one of these and it works okay with my G19 or XD9sc. I'm small framed, 5'3" ish and 135-140#, so I definitely have to dress around the holster with an upsized shirt with snap buttons. I'm in the hunt for a *flatter* gun for this setup to make it more comfortable, maybe a micro 1911 or some other flat/single stack handgun.

Practicing a draw with this setup, I'm around 3 to 5 seconds onto a target. As always, it's a comprimise. I use this setup when I absolutely cannot belt carry. Also be aware that all cross draw caveats apply to this setup.

Hope this helps.
__________________
NRA Lifetime member
The List: Kahr PM9, Springfield XD9sc, Glock 19, RIA 1911A1 Tactical 9mm, Mossberg M500
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Sir Stunna Lot's Avatar
Sir Stunna Lot Sir Stunna Lot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 821
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Here's a tip from personal experience:

I have yet to find an occasion where IWB @6 o'clock doesnt apply. This goes for service size handguns as well
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2013, 8:43 AM
sltgunner's Avatar
sltgunner sltgunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 178
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Talking Not sure about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
Here's a tip from personal experience:

I have yet to find an occasion where IWB @6 o'clock doesnt apply. This goes for service size handguns as well
....how about where you may have to sit for extended periods of time (weddings, church, in vehicle commuting).

I have found that carrying is very personal, as well as situational, YMMV personally, I have found IWB to not work for me yet, I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of clothing fit and holster.

I think I've found the perfect paddle holster for my G19 (Kramer MSP), I will let you all know how that turns out...at this point I have definitely spent enough on quality and cheap gear in search of the "perfect" carrying setup that I could have purchased a decent custom 1911 for what I have spent
__________________
NRA Lifetime member
The List: Kahr PM9, Springfield XD9sc, Glock 19, RIA 1911A1 Tactical 9mm, Mossberg M500
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2013, 9:10 AM
jlbflyboy172 jlbflyboy172 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 699
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

I have two of those shirts. I don't use them often but have them for options. One of the times I use it is when I go on mountain bike rides, I throw it on under a loose fitting shirt. They are meant to be tight fitting. That is what holds the gun close to your body and keeps it from flopping around. Most of the time, I use my IWB. I carry the G19 in either of those comfortably. If I have a formal event I use a Galco executive shoulder holster with my G26. I don't like the idea of having my carry piece under a tucked in shirt and my slacks aren't sized for IWB carry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
llamatrnr llamatrnr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego Back Country
Posts: 4,377
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

They do run a bit small, so order up . . .great for driving, horseback, etc.

Glock 36 disappears in it, as does the LCR. I'm waiting for a deal ($50 or so)
to come around so I can buy one or two more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,038
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
Here's a tip from personal experience:

I have yet to find an occasion where IWB @6 o'clock doesnt apply. This goes for service size handguns as well


If you don't have young children and play with them then you wouldn't understand, but there's plenty of times that pocket or a small back pack works out.
__________________
My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2013, 6:27 PM
DuknBucks's Avatar
DuknBucks DuknBucks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wishing it was the state of Jefferson
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
I have one of these and it works okay with my G19 or XD9sc. I'm small framed, 5'3" ish and 135-140#, so I definitely have to dress around the holster with an upsized shirt with snap buttons. I'm in the hunt for a *flatter* gun for this setup to make it more comfortable, maybe a micro 1911 or some other flat/single stack handgun.

Practicing a draw with this setup, I'm around 3 to 5 seconds onto a target. As always, it's a comprimise. I use this setup when I absolutely cannot belt carry. Also be aware that all cross draw caveats apply to this setup.

Hope this helps.
I got one for Christmas and been waiting to put my micro on my permit so i can try it out.....another poster brought up a good point about long term sitting and this would seem to be useful in that situation
__________________
Quote:
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Sir Stunna Lot's Avatar
Sir Stunna Lot Sir Stunna Lot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 821
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
....how about where you may have to sit for extended periods of time (weddings, church, in vehicle commuting).

I have found that carrying is very personal, as well as situational, YMMV personally, I have found IWB to not work for me yet, I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of clothing fit and holster.

I think I've found the perfect paddle holster for my G19 (Kramer MSP), I will let you all know how that turns out...at this point I have definitely spent enough on quality and cheap gear in search of the "perfect" carrying setup that I could have purchased a decent custom 1911 for what I have spent
Been there, done that, church, wedding (jacket stays on the entire time), 2 hour driving (haven't driven longer than that while carrying), I'm not kidding when I say any occasion.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Sir Stunna Lot's Avatar
Sir Stunna Lot Sir Stunna Lot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 821
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
If you don't have young children and play with them then you wouldn't understand, but there's plenty of times that pocket or a small back pack works out.
Ok, I give u that. When ever I take out my young nephew and niece (both under 10) I carry appendix with my smaller gun. But when children are not involved, full size gun iwb at 6 o'clock.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2013, 9:38 AM
jb7706's Avatar
jb7706 jb7706 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 1,568
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
If you don't have young children and play with them then you wouldn't understand, but there's plenty of times that pocket or a small back pack works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
Been there, done that, church, wedding (jacket stays on the entire time), 2 hour driving (haven't driven longer than that while carrying), I'm not kidding when I say any occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
Ok, I give u that. When ever I take out my young nephew and niece (both under 10) I carry appendix with my smaller gun. But when children are not involved, full size gun iwb at 6 o'clock.
I work at a desk 8+ hours a day, have an 8 and 5 year old boy that I play with and have driven 12 straight hours, all while carrying IWB at 3 to 5 o'clock with a Glock 30. It is on me every day all day from the time I get dressed until I go back to bed. It has never been uncomfortable or presented any other problem. Well, other than when one of my boys that came running to greet me and ran his head into the butt of my gun that is, but that would have happened with any belt mounted gun.

It really is about personal preference and being willing to dress around the gun.

If you have not already do some research on the 6 o'clock position, it has been known to cause spine injury and paralysis when fights go to the ground.
__________________
The statements above are mine alone and do not reflect the policies or positions of Folsom Shooting Club or Sacramento Valley Shooting Center unless otherwise noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-01-2013, 9:40 AM
madstyle1's Avatar
madstyle1 madstyle1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 717
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

I ordered my shirt two days ago.. We'll see how it goes
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2013, 9:43 AM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,038
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I work at a desk 8+ hours a day, have an 8 and 5 year old boy that I play with and have driven 12 straight hours, all while carrying IWB at 3 to 5 o'clock with a Glock 30. It is on me every day all day from the time I get dressed until I go back to bed. It has never been uncomfortable or presented any other problem. Well, other than when one of my boys that came running to greet me and ran his head into the butt of my gun that is, but that would have happened with any belt mounted gun.

It really is about personal preference and being willing to dress around the gun.

If you have not already do some research on the 6 o'clock position, it has been known to cause spine injury and paralysis when fights go to the ground.



I'm not saying it can't be done as I do it right now and also carry about 10 hours a day for over 2 1/2 years, but there are some occasional instances I'm playing with him where my shirt can get lifted up. Around people that know me that isn't a problem, but sometimes strangers are unknown of concealed carry laws.
__________________
My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
jb7706's Avatar
jb7706 jb7706 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 1,568
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
I'm not saying it can't be done as I do it right now and also carry about 10 hours a day for over 2 1/2 years, but there are some occasional instances I'm playing with him where my shirt can get lifted up. Around people that know me that isn't a problem, but sometimes strangers are unknown of concealed carry laws.
Definitely, if you are not tucked in it may become visible. In a park or other crowded place it could certainly cause a problem. In my experience the few times I have "flashed" the crowd either no one noticed, or in the one instance I know a stranger saw it she simply smiled and went about her business. How you react and dress has a lot to do with how strangers will perceive you.

All that said I agree it's better to have never let your concealment fail. And packing in a pocket is much less likely to be an issue. Though I have wondered about the pockets in some of my pants. I can just see a seam ripping and having my J frame slide down my leg then be punted across wherever I happen to be walking. It may have never happened to anyone in history, but if it does it will happen to me, probably in front a half a dozen nervous and green cops and wiggy soccer moms. I can see it all now...
__________________
The statements above are mine alone and do not reflect the policies or positions of Folsom Shooting Club or Sacramento Valley Shooting Center unless otherwise noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
1911ShooterPhil's Avatar
1911ShooterPhil 1911ShooterPhil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia.
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default Bought those, tried them, moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
Anyone in here has one or has experience with it? And pros and cons around this. It looks nice to have but is it worth it.

I have a galco iwb already but looking for more options. Thanks
I have two 5.11 Holster Shirts. They fit tight, which is good. But, here's the bad: the shirt sags with the concealable pistols I have in my armory. I've tried a SIG P6 9mm, a Ruger Speed Six .38SP, a compact 1911 .45ACP, and a Ruger 3.5" Birdshead Vaquero .45ACP. The shirts held my PPK/S well though. One of my buddies uses his with his Ruger LC9 and he loves it. My other buddy uses it with his S&W Model 36 and has no issues. I'm just not a fan and think there are better options available for deep concealment.

Now, I mainly use my 5.11 Holster Shirts while working out and running. They fit my house keys, ID, pocket knife, ETC, just fine while out jogging.

Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
__________________
"A gun is a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane (1953)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-15-2013, 8:45 PM
tb0n3z's Avatar
tb0n3z tb0n3z is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 705
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

pics?
__________________
Hand Guns
Sig Sauer P238 Equinox .380, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion Elite .40, Beretta PX4 Storm .40, Sig Sauer P220 Platinum Elite .45, HK USP Compact .45,
Sig Sauer 1911 Spartan Carry 1 of 300 LTD edition .45
Long guns
Benelli Super Sport 12Gauge, Winchester SXP 12Gauge, Browning A-Bolt 7mm, Smith&Wesson M&P 15Sport 556/223,Beretta CX4 .40
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
lawaia's Avatar
lawaia lawaia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 2,066
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Just ordered one of these to try out while cycling. Have been hearing of attacks/robberies on some of the SoCal bike trails. I always hate to be without, but have done so because I haven't found a good way to carry. Hopefully this will be the ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-16-2013, 1:00 PM
tylersdad tylersdad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
Just ordered one of these to try out while cycling. Have been hearing of attacks/robberies on some of the SoCal bike trails. I always hate to be without, but have done so because I haven't found a good way to carry. Hopefully this will be the ticket.
Let me know how it works out. I've been wanting to try one of these for the exact same reason.

I'm going to try a Remora today on my ride.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-17-2013, 7:22 AM
Tri750 Tri750 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 903
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I wear mine every week to Church. G26, PM9, or Shield.
Extra mag in the other pocket.
Very comfortable. When you launder it, use cold water wash, drip dry to preserve the padding and Velcro. I think I've had mine 2-3 years.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-24-2013, 9:22 PM
tylersdad tylersdad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It worked surprisingly well on my bike ride. Didn't move around much at all.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-28-2013, 8:51 AM
lawaia's Avatar
lawaia lawaia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 2,066
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

I finally got a chance to try mine out this weekend.

Positives:
Holds gun (S&W 642) securely.
Opposite pouch good for spare ammo and wallet.
Snug fitting.
Outer layer glides easily over this shirt, and does not get hung up.

Negatives:
Feels clammy when things heat up.
Fabric feels a little itchy (surprisingly).
Gun tends to rotate slightly butt-forward. I had to constantly push it back rearward.

You definitely could not wear any tight-fitting cycling jersery with this. The bulge would be quite noticeable, and the outline is pretty obvious as to what is there (at least with the snubbie).

There could be some real improvements made as far as fabric tech and the ability to keep the weapon from shifting. Otherwise, it will serve its' purpose for now.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Tri750 Tri750 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 903
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

You could sew some additional Velcro to close the flap a bit better to avoid shifting, I've thought of doing that a few times, but the way it is just works.
Yes, it's not good on a 90 pus day. I'm still really happy though.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-30-2013, 8:58 AM
MarineJohn's Avatar
MarineJohn MarineJohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fresno area
Posts: 377
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

I have a couple of these shirts that I have used when I go out somewhere dressed up and a coat is not practical. I carry my Springgfield Armory XD(M) 3.8 9mm in it and I have had no issues with it. It would not be my first choice for every day off duty carry but works well when a IWB hoslter and cover shirt or jacket are not practical.
Stay safe,
John
__________________
John Mendiboure
This is my shield.
I bare it before me into battle, but it is not my own.
It protects the brother on my left.
It protects my city.
I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city from its
shelter.
I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
--Spartan Warrior Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-30-2013, 6:28 PM
madstyle1's Avatar
madstyle1 madstyle1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 717
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

I had to exchange mine cuz the one i bought online was way too tight. I know it suppose to be snug but i just couldnt breathe on the one i ordered. So i went a size bigger.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:43 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.