Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Default 5.11 Holster Shirt

Anyone in here has one or has experience with it? And pros and cons around this. It looks nice to have but is it worth it.

I have a galco iwb already but looking for more options. Thanks
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Old 04-27-2013, 9:27 AM

I've read various reviews on it but haven't picked one up yet. I heard they run tight. It has pretty favorable reviews on Amazon.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 04-27-2013, 8:01 PM

For a small gun, like an LCP or S&W Airweight they will work. For a larger gun, especially all metal, not so good. I tried one and wasn't overly enthused. But, that's just me.
Old 04-27-2013, 9:17 PM

tryin to see if it will be comfortable for a G19
Arsenal Sam 7R AK
Remington 700 SPS tactical 20in .308
Wasr 10 AK
Remington 887 tactical 12 gauge
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Default Works, sorta...

I have one of these and it works okay with my G19 or XD9sc. I'm small framed, 5'3" ish and 135-140#, so I definitely have to dress around the holster with an upsized shirt with snap buttons. I'm in the hunt for a *flatter* gun for this setup to make it more comfortable, maybe a micro 1911 or some other flat/single stack handgun.

Practicing a draw with this setup, I'm around 3 to 5 seconds onto a target. As always, it's a comprimise. I use this setup when I absolutely cannot belt carry. Also be aware that all cross draw caveats apply to this setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 AM

Here's a tip from personal experience:

I have yet to find an occasion where IWB @6 o'clock doesnt apply. This goes for service size handguns as well
Old 04-28-2013, 8:43 AM

Talking Not sure about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post

I have yet to find an occasion where IWB @6 o'clock doesnt apply. This goes for service size handguns as well
....how about where you may have to sit for extended periods of time (weddings, church, in vehicle commuting).

I have found that carrying is very personal, as well as situational, YMMV personally, I have found IWB to not work for me yet, I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of clothing fit and holster.

I think I've found the perfect paddle holster for my G19 (Kramer MSP), I will let you all know how that turns out...at this point I have definitely spent enough on quality and cheap gear in search of the "perfect" carrying setup that I could have purchased a decent custom 1911 for what I have spent
Old 04-28-2013, 9:10 AM

I have two of those shirts. I don't use them often but have them for options. One of the times I use it is when I go on mountain bike rides, I throw it on under a loose fitting shirt. They are meant to be tight fitting. That is what holds the gun close to your body and keeps it from flopping around. Most of the time, I use my IWB. I carry the G19 in either of those comfortably. If I have a formal event I use a Galco executive shoulder holster with my G26. I don't like the idea of having my carry piece under a tucked in shirt and my slacks aren't sized for IWB carry.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

They do run a bit small, so order up . . .great for driving, horseback, etc.

Glock 36 disappears in it, as does the LCR. I'm waiting for a deal ($50 or so)
to come around so I can buy one or two more.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If you don't have young children and play with them then you wouldn't understand, but there's plenty of times that pocket or a small back pack works out.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
I have one of these and it works okay with my G19 or XD9sc. I'm small framed, 5'3" ish and 135-140#, so I definitely have to dress around the holster with an upsized shirt with snap buttons. I'm in the hunt for a *flatter* gun for this setup to make it more comfortable, maybe a micro 1911 or some other flat/single stack handgun.

Practicing a draw with this setup, I'm around 3 to 5 seconds onto a target. As always, it's a comprimise. I use this setup when I absolutely cannot belt carry. Also be aware that all cross draw caveats apply to this setup.

Hope this helps.
I got one for Christmas and been waiting to put my micro on my permit so i can try it out.....another poster brought up a good point about long term sitting and this would seem to be useful in that situation
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
....how about where you may have to sit for extended periods of time (weddings, church, in vehicle commuting).

I have found that carrying is very personal, as well as situational, YMMV personally, I have found IWB to not work for me yet, I'm still trying to find the perfect combination of clothing fit and holster.

I think I've found the perfect paddle holster for my G19 (Kramer MSP), I will let you all know how that turns out...at this point I have definitely spent enough on quality and cheap gear in search of the "perfect" carrying setup that I could have purchased a decent custom 1911 for what I have spent
Been there, done that, church, wedding (jacket stays on the entire time), 2 hour driving (haven't driven longer than that while carrying), I'm not kidding when I say any occasion.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
If you don't have young children and play with them then you wouldn't understand, but there's plenty of times that pocket or a small back pack works out.
Ok, I give u that. When ever I take out my young nephew and niece (both under 10) I carry appendix with my smaller gun. But when children are not involved, full size gun iwb at 6 o'clock.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Been there, done that, church, wedding (jacket stays on the entire time), 2 hour driving (haven't driven longer than that while carrying), I'm not kidding when I say any occasion.
Quote:
Ok, I give u that. When ever I take out my young nephew and niece (both under 10) I carry appendix with my smaller gun. But when children are not involved, full size gun iwb at 6 o'clock.
I work at a desk 8+ hours a day, have an 8 and 5 year old boy that I play with and have driven 12 straight hours, all while carrying IWB at 3 to 5 o'clock with a Glock 30. It is on me every day all day from the time I get dressed until I go back to bed. It has never been uncomfortable or presented any other problem. Well, other than when one of my boys that came running to greet me and ran his head into the butt of my gun that is, but that would have happened with any belt mounted gun.

It really is about personal preference and being willing to dress around the gun.

If you have not already do some research on the 6 o'clock position, it has been known to cause spine injury and paralysis when fights go to the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 05-01-2013, 9:40 AM

I ordered my shirt two days ago.. We'll see how it goes
Old 05-01-2013, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I work at a desk 8+ hours a day, have an 8 and 5 year old boy that I play with and have driven 12 straight hours, all while carrying IWB at 3 to 5 o'clock with a Glock 30. It is on me every day all day from the time I get dressed until I go back to bed. It has never been uncomfortable or presented any other problem. Well, other than when one of my boys that came running to greet me and ran his head into the butt of my gun that is, but that would have happened with any belt mounted gun.

It really is about personal preference and being willing to dress around the gun.

If you have not already do some research on the 6 o'clock position, it has been known to cause spine injury and paralysis when fights go to the ground.

I'm not saying it can't be done as I do it right now and also carry about 10 hours a day for over 2 1/2 years, but there are some occasional instances I'm playing with him where my shirt can get lifted up. Around people that know me that isn't a problem, but sometimes strangers are unknown of concealed carry laws.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it can't be done as I do it right now and also carry about 10 hours a day for over 2 1/2 years, but there are some occasional instances I'm playing with him where my shirt can get lifted up. Around people that know me that isn't a problem, but sometimes strangers are unknown of concealed carry laws.
Definitely, if you are not tucked in it may become visible. In a park or other crowded place it could certainly cause a problem. In my experience the few times I have "flashed" the crowd either no one noticed, or in the one instance I know a stranger saw it she simply smiled and went about her business. How you react and dress has a lot to do with how strangers will perceive you.

All that said I agree it's better to have never let your concealment fail. And packing in a pocket is much less likely to be an issue. Though I have wondered about the pockets in some of my pants. I can just see a seam ripping and having my J frame slide down my leg then be punted across wherever I happen to be walking. It may have never happened to anyone in history, but if it does it will happen to me, probably in front a half a dozen nervous and green cops and wiggy soccer moms. I can see it all now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Bought those, tried them, moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
Anyone in here has one or has experience with it? And pros and cons around this. It looks nice to have but is it worth it.

I have a galco iwb already but looking for more options. Thanks
I have two 5.11 Holster Shirts. They fit tight, which is good. But, here's the bad: the shirt sags with the concealable pistols I have in my armory. I've tried a SIG P6 9mm, a Ruger Speed Six .38SP, a compact 1911 .45ACP, and a Ruger 3.5" Birdshead Vaquero .45ACP. The shirts held my PPK/S well though. One of my buddies uses his with his Ruger LC9 and he loves it. My other buddy uses it with his S&W Model 36 and has no issues. I'm just not a fan and think there are better options available for deep concealment.

Now, I mainly use my 5.11 Holster Shirts while working out and running. They fit my house keys, ID, pocket knife, ETC, just fine while out jogging.

Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 05-15-2013, 8:45 PM

pics?
Long guns
Benelli Super Sport 12Gauge, Winchester SXP 12Gauge, Browning A-Bolt 7mm, Smith&Wesson M&P 15Sport 556/223,Beretta CX4 .40
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Just ordered one of these to try out while cycling. Have been hearing of attacks/robberies on some of the SoCal bike trails. I always hate to be without, but have done so because I haven't found a good way to carry. Hopefully this will be the ticket.
Old 05-16-2013, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
Just ordered one of these to try out while cycling. Have been hearing of attacks/robberies on some of the SoCal bike trails. I always hate to be without, but have done so because I haven't found a good way to carry. Hopefully this will be the ticket.
Let me know how it works out. I've been wanting to try one of these for the exact same reason.

I'm going to try a Remora today on my ride.
Old 05-17-2013, 7:22 AM

I wear mine every week to Church. G26, PM9, or Shield.
Extra mag in the other pocket.
Very comfortable. When you launder it, use cold water wash, drip dry to preserve the padding and Velcro. I think I've had mine 2-3 years.
Old 05-24-2013, 9:22 PM

It worked surprisingly well on my bike ride. Didn't move around much at all.
Old 05-28-2013, 8:51 AM

I finally got a chance to try mine out this weekend.

Positives:
Holds gun (S&W 642) securely.
Opposite pouch good for spare ammo and wallet.
Snug fitting.
Outer layer glides easily over this shirt, and does not get hung up.

Negatives:
Feels clammy when things heat up.
Fabric feels a little itchy (surprisingly).
Gun tends to rotate slightly butt-forward. I had to constantly push it back rearward.

You definitely could not wear any tight-fitting cycling jersery with this. The bulge would be quite noticeable, and the outline is pretty obvious as to what is there (at least with the snubbie).

There could be some real improvements made as far as fabric tech and the ability to keep the weapon from shifting. Otherwise, it will serve its' purpose for now.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM

You could sew some additional Velcro to close the flap a bit better to avoid shifting, I've thought of doing that a few times, but the way it is just works.
Yes, it's not good on a 90 pus day. I'm still really happy though.
Old 05-30-2013, 8:58 AM

I have a couple of these shirts that I have used when I go out somewhere dressed up and a coat is not practical. I carry my Springgfield Armory XD(M) 3.8 9mm in it and I have had no issues with it. It would not be my first choice for every day off duty carry but works well when a IWB hoslter and cover shirt or jacket are not practical.
Stay safe,
John
It protects the brother on my left.
It protects my city.
I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city from its
shelter.
I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
--Spartan Warrior Proverb
Old 05-30-2013, 6:28 PM

I had to exchange mine cuz the one i bought online was way too tight. I know it suppose to be snug but i just couldnt breathe on the one i ordered. So i went a size bigger.