Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Default 30mm scope mount help!

Are there ary really nice one piece 30MM optics mounts that are under $100. I'm wanting to mount a Nightforce on my AR and it needs to be mounted a little bit forward for eye relief. The LaRue is very nice but I'm not wanting to pay $250 for a mount. The best alternative I've come across is quality parts is a set of leupold PRW rings and a RRA scout mount for $130.

I know armalite makes one for $90 but I cannot find any reviews and am worried about the quality.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

i have an armalite mount on my race AR and it's worked great so far. very sturdy and pushes my scope far enough forward that eye-relief is no issue (of course i'm running a 1.5-5x so it's not that much of an issue)

search for maxicon's "1 pc mount guide" as he's put a list together including prices some reviews.

the other option is to get a rail extender and get some nice rings for it.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

here you go... http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/o...ece_mounts.htm
Old 04-07-2008, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

IMO, the Armalite's the best under $100 one-piece, and the main flaw is the low height if you want a BUIS under it.

I've also had good luck with the extended rail and rings combo. You generally want to shoot for a final centerline height of 1.4-1.5", but some people prefer different heights.

I like the RRA extended rail a lot, and the main problem with it is there's no room for a BUIS on the rail behind it unless you cut off part. Here's a pic of a 16x Super Sniper in Burris XTR low rings on the new model of the RRA rail:

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 04-07-2008 at 1:27 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What are you doin?

You're buying a $1200+ scope and you want to cheap out on what keeps the scope/receiver in contact?

No offense, but that's like buying a race car and putting "long life" road tires on because you don't want to pay too much for slicks that wear out quickly.

Get the LaRue. If you want to keep a top-end scope mounted on an AR that's THE choice.

If you think you'll want to move the scope from AR to other rifles, get a scout rail and good rings. Buy quality or the interface will be off.

Last edited by aplinker; 04-08-2008 at 12:55 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

You've got a nice NIGHTFORSE.... don't WIMP on the mount.... man... also, I thought LaRue is $195, isn't it?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
Are there ary really nice one piece 30MM optics mounts that are under $100. I'm wanting to mount a Nightforce on my AR and it needs to be mounted a little bit forward for eye relief. The LaRue is very nice but I'm not wanting to pay $250 for a mount. The best alternative I've come across is quality parts is a set of leupold PRW rings and a RRA scout mount for $130.

I know armalite makes one for $90 but I cannot find any reviews and am worried about the quality.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818

Last edited by Jicko; 04-08-2008 at 7:59 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Don't cheap out on the mount. If it is going on an AR, look at the JP one piece mount if you do not want quick detach.
http://http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFTSM-30

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

Last edited by Blacktail 8541; 04-08-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

The LaRue seems overly pricey. The JP looks decent enough to warrant the extra $20 and its shorter than the scout rail would be.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't cheap out on the mount. If it is going on an AR, look at the JP one piece mount if you do not want quick detach.
Quote:
You've got a nice NIGHTFORSE.... don't WIMP on the mount.... man... also, I thought LaRue is $195, isn't it?
Quote:
What are you doin?

You're buying a $1200+ scope and you want to cheap out on what keeps the scope/receiver in contact?

No offense, but that's like buying a race car and putting "long life" road tires on because you don't want to pay too much for slicks that wear out quickly.

Get the LaRue. If you want to keep a top-end scope mounted on an AR that's THE choice.

If you think you'll want to move the scope from AR to other rifles, get a scout rail and good rings. Buy quality or the interface will be off.
I'm not cheaping out on anything. Is there a problem with trying to find quality alternatives for less? If you think the RRA scount rail and Leupold PRW rings are crap then I'd have to question your judgement. I'm just shopping around at this point.

The JP seems like the best bang for the dollar, in terms of quality.

Last edited by Solidsnake87; 04-08-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

You can do a set of ARMS#22HIGH.
http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.ph...124&item_id=83
They are $119.

And then if you are thinking that you may have a chance to move this to a Rem700-like bolt action, you may want to consider the MED or LOW version...and get a riser for your AR.

Old 04-08-2008, 2:33 PM

Don't take the comments personaly. They are in referance to the price of the scope that you purchased. A mount in the 150.00 to 200.00 dollar range is less than 1/5th the cost of the scope. A mount that is not secure on your weapon will compromise the benifits of your scope purchase. It could go as far as damaging the optic.
A lot of us wish that we could afford an optic like that. I personaly use Leupold vari x 3s with upgrades as I can not spend 1500.00 all at once on a nightforce.

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."

Last edited by Blacktail 8541; 04-08-2008 at 5:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2008, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

I gotta agree with others that say don't cheap out on the mount. You have a top-o-the-line scope, drop a couple hunnys more for a good mount. The EE on arfcom has Larue mounts all the time. I just sold one like new for $170. The LT is tough, awesome warranty (forever, no questions asked) and repeatable if you ever R&R the mount/scope. I had a RRA which is similar to the Armalite 1 piece and it was o.k. but, heavy, not very repeatable, and sat too high above centerline. Man, if I still had the LT I would have let you try before you buy. Trust me, you would have bought. Its that sweet. (I went to an EO thus no longer needed the LT)
Old 04-09-2008, 1:52 AM
Veteran Member

Screw it. I'll get the larue if it can allow a 50mm bell to clear my ff tube and, hopefully, leave room for a nightforce angle inclinator. Where is the best place to pick one up?

Last edited by Solidsnake87; 04-09-2008 at 1:58 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 2:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Screw it. I'll get the larue if it can allow a 50mm bell to clear my ff tube and, hopefully, leave room for a nightforce angle inclinator. Where is the best place to pick one up?
From LaRue.

LaRue master dealers get like 10% off the web prices, so you're not going to find any deals. You do get a tacticool beer opener and hat.
Old 04-09-2008, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Call them and talk to them about which one you need. They have different ones with different height.

Old 04-09-2008, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

There's not much discount on LaRue gear. Even used, it goes for a substantial percentage of new. Their mainstream SPR and SPR-E are both tall enough for most 50mm bells, at 1.5" centerline. They have a taller one, but it's really tall. They also make a slightly lower version, the LT-158, which comes in a 10 MOA version, according to one user.

The Armalite is quite a bit lower, and is probably the lowest of the one-piece mounts.

As everyone says, it's really hard to go wrong with the LaRue. It's about as close to a perfect general-purpose one-piece mount as anyone makes.

I just noticed the link to my mounts page is munged - here's the right one:
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/o...ece_mounts.htm

NRA Life Member