Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-17-2013, 8:43 PM

Default My first LEO encounter while carrying

After hearing so many horror stories of people with CCW's having not so pleasant encounters with LEO's I thought I would post a good story about my encounter.

I got a call at about 9PM from my sisters business alarm company that the alarm at her business was going off, and that it was an entry alarm and police had already been dispatched. I am the third call on their list, after my sister and her husband. So by the time they get to me the police are usually already rolling. However, I only live about 2 min's away, so I headed over there with my brother.

Got there and looked around outside, and didn't see any signs of forced entry, but waited outside until Sac County Sheriff arrived, which was only about 2 min's after we got there. I explain that we didn't see any signs of a break in, but waited until he got there to go in. So as we are walking to the door I pull out my CCW and hand it to him and say "I believe I am required to inform you of this". He takes it and at first is a little confused, but after he looks it over, just says "Oh, OK. Thanks, that's fine." And hands it back to me. Doesn't say a word about or seem to care at all.

That was a weight off my shoulders since this was my first interaction with a LEO while carrying. But then things went from relaxed, to pretty amusing. I open the door and shut off the alarm, then I start showing him through the building and I stop and go, "I guess I should let you go first huh?" His response was classic, he says, "Why, you have a gun" At that we all started laughing. He then said how he really did appreciate me telling him up front and how people don't always do that, and it makes things a lot better if they do just so there is no surprises.

So that was my CCW LEO interaction story. A pretty good one. However I do understand that under different circumstances, ie - a traffic stop, things could go a lot different. However, apart from it being a requirement now in Sac county that experience made me believe it really is a good idea to safely get that info out there as soon as you can when dealing with any LEO.
Old 04-17-2013, 8:58 PM

cool story bro.

Seriously though, I like how you handled it. I just took multi-state CCW training and although every state is different, the instructor kept emphasizing whether you are required or not, you really really should inform LEO's of your ccw.
Old 04-17-2013, 8:59 PM

Thumbs up!
Old 04-17-2013, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice
Old 04-17-2013, 9:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What tripped the alarm, zombies? Ninjas?

I'm on the edge of my seat. (Actually laying down on the couch, but you get my meaning).
Old 04-18-2013, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
What tripped the alarm, zombies? Ninjas?

I'm on the edge of my seat. (Actually laying down on the couch, but you get my meaning).
When the alarm company called us they said it was an entry alarm, ie a door or window. When we got there and found no doors or windows open or broken I knew that was wrong. When my sister looked up the logs the next day it was a motion sensor, probably kicked off by a hanging piece of art.

In every class I've been in I get mixed reviews about whether or not you should inform LEO. Most of them lean towards informing but do warn of the possible consequences. I think around Sacramento, it is becoming so common that it is a really good idea, since most the cops are probably used to it by now so it won't be a big deal.

However even outside of a "high CCW rate" area, I agree that it is probably a better idea, even given the chance of the LEO going overboard. Way better to have them overreacting to you telling them, then them reacting to them realizing you have a concealed firearm if they find out some how. That is not something I want to be on the receiving end of.
Old 04-18-2013, 9:47 AM

Did you hand him your gun or just show him your license and flash the gun?
Old 04-18-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoden View Post
Did you hand him your gun or just show him your license and flash the gun?
Pretty sure he just showed the license. NEVER pull a weapon out unless specifically asked to do so.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryououki View Post
Pretty sure he just showed the license. NEVER pull a weapon out unless specifically asked to do so.
I wouldn't touch a firearm even if asked to do so. The most I would do is present my hip after asking, "isn't the safest place for this gun right where it sits in the holster?"
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM

I love it.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 PM

i like the LEO reaction and sense of humor about it.

wish there was more of that.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Good experience. Glad he was cool.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 04-21-2013, 2:01 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Having responded to innumerable burglary alarm calls (daily, really) the last thing I would do is jam up the reporting party or store owner over the manner in which they protect themselves or their businesses. I am there to detect criminal activity by an actual criminal (i.e. Burglar). In the absence of that, I say goodnight to the nice folks and go on my way.
Old 04-21-2013, 5:33 AM

Good officers
Old 04-21-2013, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

Sac county sheriffs will be cooler than most. After all, it was his agency that issued the permit, yes?
Old 04-21-2013, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Very cool.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

So glad to hear of the good encounter. I hope they all go as smoothly.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM

funny .. you can for first ..you have a gun
Old 04-21-2013, 7:54 PM

I had almost the exact experence with a Fresno County Deputy sheriff. He didn.t even flinch just thanked me for telling him and asked me to stay behind him.
Old 04-21-2013, 8:13 PM

I think most LEOs are cool, once you pass "not a dick head test"
Old 04-22-2013, 4:34 PM

I too unfortunately had an "incident" in Suisun City where I had brief interaction with police..... got a well deserved ticket for talking on my phone while driving. Officer hit the lights behind me I pulled over pretty much immediately. He walks up to driver side of pick-up I already had window down. The usual question, "do you know why...." Anyway I hand him my drivers license, he immediately asked for proof of insurance, which was buried in my wallet. He was obviously watching my hands closely and as I flip the other side of the wallet open is the LTC. Never really had a chance to mention to him before, would have, anyway. He says, sounding a little surprised "oh you have a CCW" I said yes I do, he asked if I had it (the weapon) I said yes its on my hip at 3:00. He said ok and just kept on writing my ticket. We ended up of chatting about the stop, said I deserved it but bear in mind this is the first ticket of any kind I've had in more than 20 years. He seemed pretty cool so I broke his bal.s a little bit and had to mention that that I had been driving while talking on car phones/ radios since before he was on this planet... never had any incidents, was trained to do so... like him. He was cool and laughed with me. I think he felt only slightly silly writing the ticket. He later asked why I had gotten the LTC, I told him, he then stated that his brother was getting his soon because of his situation. He seemed positive about citizens carrying. Never asked to see the weapon or more than the initial glance at the license.

BTW almost always use a jaw bone hands free thingee but it had broke a couple of days before... ticket cost 170., a handsfree device is cheaper.
Old 04-23-2013, 9:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

good to hear! have my CCW interview w our sheriff dept in two days - - glad to hear these types of stories before i get that little piece of paper!

Steve Kimberling
Eureka Payments
P)877-476-0570 Ext 200
F)707-476-0574
stevek@eurekapayments.com
Old 04-25-2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
i like the LEO reaction and sense of humor about it.

wish there was more of that.
Second!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM

I got my Humboldt LTC in '89 or '90 and the interview lasted about fifteen seconds. Not much more than a firm handshake and an introduction. I was supposed to interview with the Sherriff (Renner then) but the undersherriff I believe pinch hit for him. Good Luck
Barney
Old 04-30-2013, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repomanNWP View Post
cool story bro.

Seriously though, I like how you handled it. I just took multi-state CCW training and although every state is different, the instructor kept emphasizing whether you are required or not, you really really should inform LEO's of your ccw.
There are epic threads about disclosure, especially when the "new generation" of permits were issued with the verbage printed on the license; but I digress.

OP, great job handling the situation! Glad it sounded like a false alarm. You know if SSD is going to bill you for a false alarm call? I think it was either SacPD or SSD who were getting kind of angry at responding to false alarms.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great story, thanks for sharing the encouragement.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-30-2013, 1:21 PM

I believe in Sacramento County there is a restriction on the back of your carry license that says you must disclose that you are carrying to any LEO you come in contact with. In any County, Sacramento or not.

Counties and cities vary these restrictions individually, but you must comply with your home County's rules, regardless of where you are at the time.

So, OP did the right thing, in about four different ways. Well done!
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 04-30-2013, 1:33 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
So as we are walking to the door I pull out my CCW and hand it to him and say "I believe I am required to inform you of this". He takes it and at first is a little confused,
Bad timing, kind of like jumping in a foxhole and saying "btw I am gay". First words at contact should be who you are, why you are there, and "I have a permit, and I am armed, what are your directions?" Cops have a plan, and an armed civilian is not part of it, so get the announcement over with early or not at all.

edit: at least that is what I do, and I get to a few alarms every month. Sometimes before they do, usually after, and sometimes I am the Lone Ranger.

Last edited by paul0660; 04-30-2013 at 1:38 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbiker929 View Post
I think most LEOs are cool, once you pass "not a dick head test"
This
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Lol you are only supposed to inform if you are stopped. I don't flash my license to the cop behind me in the starbucks line when he asks me what I think of the weather...
Old 05-16-2013, 8:22 AM

Our alarm motion sensors have been tripped a few times by spiders/spider webs as well as a packaging peanut dispenser swaying when the AC kicked on. I would guess you have some similar situation.