Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Leveling a Vortex Viper reticle.

I just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x with a ADM recon offset mount.

I like how the rings on the ADM mount clamp together with the two sides clamping together front the sides. The line delineating the two sides of the clamp are at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions (because the two sides of the rings come in from the sides).

I orignally thought I could index the scope to rings using that line, and the fiber optic line on the scope located 12 o'clock on the scope, but after doing so, it seems that the reticle was canted.

I used the turrets to move the reticle up and down to confirm this, and re adjusted the scope moving it about 2 degrees clockwise. Reticle seemed fine at this point.

Holding my AR freehand and putting it on the desk, the reticle seemed perfect, but here's the kicker. I decided try it out left handed with my left eye, and damned if it now looks as though my reticle is canted about 10 degrees off. (with the left eye)

Is this normal?

I am righthanded and right eye dominant. I do have astigmastism in both eyes if this matters.

I really have been playing with the offset trying to find a good position for the scope to work both shooting freehand, table top, and prone, so i have been @#$%#$% with the scope for a good 2 hours. Now this. Should I bother to readjust it or leave it be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

I've noticed this with just about every scope I've ever mounted. Alternating shoulders on the rifle results in a reticle that looks canted in opposing directions. I just split the difference so it looks canted in equal amounts either direction. If you want to get really technical, you can get a few levels out and verify that the reticle is aligned with the turrets. Mount the scope, and using levels get the scope perfectly aligned with the rifle. it will probably still look canted though

Just when you think you have it perfect, you'll let a buddy shoot the rifle and the first thing he'll say is "Dude, I think your scope is crooked...."
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I've noticed this with just about every scope I've ever mounted. Alternating shoulders on the rifle results in a reticle that looks canted in opposing directions. I just split the difference so it looks canted in equal amounts either direction. If you want to get really technical, you can get a few levels out and verify that the reticle is aligned with the turrets. Mount the scope, and using levels get the scope perfectly aligned with the rifle. it will probably still look canted though

Just when you think you have it perfect, you'll let a buddy shoot the rifle and the first thing he'll say is "Dude, I think your scope is crooked...."
haha, I agree with you 100%

Nice to see im not the only one who has had the same experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I wrote a thread a while back about leveling scope reticle… but I have since simplified the method since I absolutely hate scope leveling.

My old method used either small bubble levels on the rails and turret cap which was OK, then a plumb bob or a laser level… both methods were somewhat tedious.

This method works assuming vortex leveled the reticle correctly against the body of the scope, and if the mounting system has a flat area.

Just buy a couple sets of spark plug feeler gauges and shim the scope level.

Tighten the rings enough where there is just enough resistance to grip the scope but still allow movement.

Keep adding feeler gauges until you take up all the free space, use the second set to tighten it up until you can’t rotate the scope anymore. Start to tighten. If the mounting screws are vertical then make sure you can remove the shims before you torque them down.

I just trust the shim method now because in certain instances like FMJBT said, they may seem canted even if it is level.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM

But when you switch shoulders does your reticle look all out of whack?

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Calguns Addict

It doesn’t matter... what important is the reticle is level and on the right plane with the bore of the rifle.

When doing holdover that’s what matters. If you need to get the rifle level when shooting it helps to have an anti-cant level for the rifle itself.

I’ve been there, and to this very day I still get that illusion my reticle is canted, but its not.
Old 04-17-2013, 9:29 AM

just level the scopes reticle to the world =)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Mine seems the same way when I shoulder the rifle, (same scope, BTW) but if I look from directly behind it, it looks right. I think it's just a trick of the eyes. I'll have to shoulder it lefty when I get home and see if it looks canted the other way.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Deck of cards or feeler gauges between scope mount and the flat surface on bottom of scope and you should be gtg.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Here's my method.

I use feeler gauges to level the Scope to my rifle, where it be to the picatinny or to the mount itself.

Once that's done, I take the scope and I level it to the world using a plumb bob and then set a scope mounted level to match.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 04-30-2013, 1:56 PM

sorry i can't help, but wanted to ask you to post pics of your setup! I'm thinking of picking up the 1-4 pst as well!
Old 04-30-2013, 2:01 PM

I originally had a Primary Arms 1-4x, but on my first outing it lost zero. So I sent it back to PA and upgraded to a Viper PST.

I haven't taken pictures of the Viper yet, but will here's a few pics of it with the PA scope.