Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-28-2008, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default Thoughts on these Japan made Aimpoint clones?

Looks like they are the same brand and model from ANVS. Looks to be a solid buy....made in Japan. For 1/2 to 1/3 the price of an Aimpoint, and just for my needs of range shooting, doesn't look bad. Thoughts?

http://www.nightvis.com/Weapon_Sight...pon_Sight.html

http://www.shotplus.com/shop/product...roductid=16157

Last edited by OutlawDon; 03-28-2008 at 5:35 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have any reviews for you, but i do like their price tags.

"Lest we forget" .... General Robert E. Lee

"Do I have the right to do it?" "Yes, you do" "Can I do it then?" "No, you can't" - Nick

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will
and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
Old 03-30-2008, 1:47 AM
Banned

Japanese products are generally very high quality, it's the Chinese knock-off's that you need to be careful of.

Personally I would rather give my money to the company that designed the product rather than the one that reverse engineered it. Especially if it's an American company vs. foreign.

You will want a 2MOA dot version for any kind of distance shooting.

Last edited by MT1; 03-30-2008 at 1:49 AM..
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM

I bought an Aimpoint Clone from from www.airsoftvanguard.com about two weeks ago. The only difference between mine and my friends real ML3 or ML2? is that the dot seems a little more blurry at long ranges, but mine is nice it even has the aimpoint logo on it...LOL. Hopefully I will be at the range Tuesday morning and I will be able to give you a report.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
Personally I would rather give my money to the company that designed the product rather than the one that reverse engineered it. Especially if it's an American company vs. foreign.
Aimpoint is a Swedish company, that's foreign.

The Japanese AP copy is an excellent sight and comes with a lifetime Guarantee. Aimpoint sights come with a 10 year warranty.

The Chinese AP copies are excellent sights for the money but have no warranty. You shouldn't expect one for $42. I have two of them and they are well worth the money and more. No other sight in there price range can touch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I bought an Aimpoint Clone from from www.airsoftvanguard.com about two weeks ago. The only difference between mine and my friends real ML3 or ML2? is that the dot seems a little more blurry at long ranges.

You probably have the brightness control up to high. That will cause distortion in the red dot. The Red Dot on China made AP copies is brighter than the red dot on the Aimpoint sights. That is one of the reasons why the batteries in the Chinese made AP copies only last up to 150 hours depending on what setting you keep one on.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-30-2008 at 4:12 PM..
Old 03-30-2008, 1:06 PM

thanks max
thats good info.

I have a HAKKO blue ring tac point clone, its rock solid.
Old 03-30-2008, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
who's MT1? Do they make the Japanese clones in those links?
MT1... See post #3.
Old 03-30-2008, 4:14 PM
In Memoriam

Are the Japanese clones made for airsoft or firearms?
Old 03-30-2008, 4:20 PM

good price
Old 03-30-2008, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Does www.airsoftvanguard.com accept credit cards or paypal only? I don't have a paypal account. And is it safe to purchase with a credit card from them if so?
Old 03-30-2008, 4:42 PM

All of the Chinese made AP copies as far as I know are made XDoptics in China and they are firearms optics manufacture. The Airsoft crowd buys them because they are low cost. They are a firearm optic, made for firearms. Those that own them, know it. I own two and had them for around three years. I have had no problems with them holding zero on an AK47 an other heavier recoiling guns. They are well worth the $42 they cost and more. That is $42 total shipped from HK China and comes with a nice mount. I spend more than that on a night out.

The Airsoft site is safe.

If you want a Guarantee and want an optic that is Guaranteed to be water proof I would go with the $150 Japanese AP copy.

GC
Old 03-30-2008, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Max100,

Do you know of a good Aimpoint clone but with a 2MOA dot instead of the 4MOA?
Old 03-30-2008, 5:12 PM

Sorry I don't know of a 2moa AP copy. If you plan to shoot at longer distances you can run a 3x magnifier with your sight. The magnifiers on the website I hear are high quality and just as good as the AP magnifiers.

GC
Old 03-30-2008, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks MAX...

I am going to think which I should go with...although the AP clone with the ARMS mounts are a great deal for $55 and it won't break the bank.
Old 03-30-2008, 6:11 PM

I wouldn't go with the one that comes with the Arms QR mount because some of those mounts have problems. They don't fit tight on some rails. I have three of them and two of them fit tight on picatinny rails but don't on weaver type rails. One of them doesn't fit tight on any rail. The mount is very well made but it's downfall is the metal shim that engages the rail. It is to thin.

You may get a good one but you may not. I would go with one that comes with a cantilever or L type mount. The website has a good deal on low profile rail covers if you need any.

GC
Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 PM

Does the 3x magnifier work with the cantilever mount fakepoints?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Aimpoint is a Swedish company, that's foreign.

GC
I was making a blanket statement, not just about that particular product.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPen View Post
Does the 3x magnifier work with the cantilever mount fakepoints?
I really can't answer that because I have no experience with them. It should mount similar to the Aimpoint magnifiers.

Are the 2x magnifiers that came with your AP copies not working out for you?

GC
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah, they are not, the threading on the fakepoint is very very weak and it falls off.
Old 04-07-2008, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
... If you plan to shoot at longer distances you can run a 3x magnifier with your sight. The magnifiers on the website I hear are high quality and just as good as the AP magnifiers. GC
I'll have to disagree with your 3X mag statement. I just got "Took" from a major tactical supplier at a gunshow a week ago. I already have a Authentic AIMPOINT 3X mag so I had something to make a comparison to.
I will post more later this week on how to ID fake magnifiers since they have flooded the market.
The optics on the fake were not as clear as the real AP. Similar in comparison to a Bushnell scope to a Leupold. Outer perimetr blurryness and Low light transmission was poor as well.
I had it out with the dealer that sold me the FAKEpoint on the phone and e-mails since they didn't give me a receipt at the gunshow, which I didn't discover until I got it home.
I TOTALLY disagree with displaying a authentic AIMPOINT next to a Clone Aimpoint. The Clone is so close at a glance that they could charge you the true AP cost and you wouldn't know you got "took" until you compared it to an Authentic AP.
My theory is that IF your life depends on an optic, don't go cheap. Yeah, a Japanese Company can offer a lifetime warranty, but so did the Ginsu Knife Company, in Japan. Do you really think they will still be around in 3 years, or will they change their name and phone number to get out of warranty work / replacements? The Chinese crap is even worse.
Old 04-07-2008, 7:39 PM

The company giving the Lifetime Warranty on the made in Japan AP copies is ANVS. They have been in business for years. They do a lot of government sales. The are not a fly by night company. They are well established.

The Japanese Aimpoint copie would be the way to go if you want a AP copy for serious use.

GC
Old 04-07-2008, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Just save up and buy the real thing. Buy once, and that's it. Also, they've got pretty good resale value, while, clones worth nothing in resale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
Looks like they are the same brand and model from ANVS. Looks to be a solid buy....made in Japan. For 1/2 to 1/3 the price of an Aimpoint, and just for my needs of range shooting, doesn't look bad. Thoughts?

http://www.nightvis.com/Weapon_Sight...pon_Sight.html

http://www.shotplus.com/shop/product...roductid=16157

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 04-08-2008, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, the look-alikes I've watched have pretty good resale value, looked at as a percentage, if they're the ones with good reviews in the first place. The 1337tactical aimpoint look-alikes sell pretty quickly used over at arfcom for not a lot less than buying them new.

Typically, a $80 clonepoint combo will sell fast for $60. That's 25% off, which isn't bad for most used optics, and is like paying $20 to rent it for testing. Same with the Burris, Spot, and Bushnell, and the magnifiers are showing the same trend.

Now, for someone into serious optics, that's less than the cost of a single ring, so many people wouldn't bother even trying to resell them, but they wouldn't bother with the cheap look-alikes in the first place.

The known junk brands, like Barska and NCStar, tend to drop a lot more, and often only sell at half the original price. The really good stuff, like NF and USO, hold their value better and tend to drop a smaller percentage, but a 15% drop on a $1200 scope is more than the original cost of many look-alikes. Of course, you got to use a much better scope in the meantime...

NRA Life Member
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I bought an Aimpoint Clone from from www.airsoftvanguard.com about two weeks ago. The only difference between mine and my friends real ML3 or ML2? is that the dot seems a little more blurry at long ranges, but mine is nice it even has the aimpoint logo on it...LOL. Hopefully I will be at the range Tuesday morning and I will be able to give you a report.
Well, since he didn't tell you how it went, I will.

We took his and my ML3 out and did some tests. My result thread.

My aimpoint was closer to zero by far out of the box. His was about 2 targets off, mine was about 5" high.

I zeroed mine in quickly, took him a few more minutes to get it done.

I shot both his clone and my ML3. Noticed a few things:

1. The clone has fewer brightness levels, harder to find that perfect setting.
2. The clone dot is a bit fuzzy, not able to reproduce the clean dot of the ML3.
3. Battery life. 50,000 hrs vs 20? (Not sure of clone time, but was way less)
4. Looks exactly the same from the outside, no difference. I did have the rubber case for mine however.
5. The mount on his clone seems to not be as secure as my aimpoint mount.
6. Considering the price, it was worth it! I may pick one up as a beater for my other builds.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - J. Cooper

ConfusionDesign.com - Web Hosting & Design Services

AR10 .308 For Sale
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM

I bought two of those clonepoints and from my observation, there was even a difference in brightness between the two and sharpness...

I found the N size battery stopped the slight flickering I had and I had to polish off some corrosion or some sort of crap on the battery caps to get it 100%.

I also used some blue loctite on the mounting screw and it seems to hold its zero.