Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-29-2013, 9:54 AM

Default Gen Y = Bad For 2A?

The cover story in the latest Barrons is about Gen Y. They quoted Neil Howe, an economist/historian who specializes in demographic/generational trends. According to him Gen Y'ers aka Millenials "trust government" and grew up "sheltered" and "expect to be sheltered".
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Most kids begin life sheltered. It's why they start out as bleeding hearts. Those who grow up eventually outgrow their parents homes, and the need to be sheltered from life forever. The rest might as well live in their parents homes, as there is no difference between mooching off them and mooching off the government.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
Most kids begin life sheltered. It's why they start out as bleeding hearts. Those who grow up eventually outgrow their parents homes, and the need to be sheltered from life forever. The rest might as well live in their parents homes, as there is no difference between mooching off them and mooching off the government.
I hope you're right that it's something they will outgrow, but I wonder. The article talks about how they grew up in households where child safety was the paramount concern being shuttled to soccer games in the backs of minivans.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

when SHTF it will not come as a surprise to me, it will them. nothing lasts forever. but this does not need to happen.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Be prepared to be placed on a government watchlist for not watching TV. Modern day TV is the equivalent of the Colosseum in Rome. It keeps the masses distracted.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM

This is nothing new:

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

This was written in 1907, for a dissertation by a Cambridge University student, as a summary of what the ancient Greeks and Romans complained about regarding the youth of their times.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

contempt for authority is always a good thing.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
contempt for authority is always a good thing.
That may be a little harsh, but I'd go with distrust of authority. That's why the line in the article about Gen Y'ers trusting government was so unsettling.

I should amend that to say that Howe prefaced that by saying Gen Y'ers voted overwhelmingly democrat in the last three elections. The trusting government bit likely only applies to Obama et al which is why this bodes ill for the 2A if this trend continues.

Last edited by ccmc; 04-29-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Which is why the "get off my lawn" stuff is so tired and cliche. It is almost always self-contradictory, hypocritical, or just plain wrong.

And for the record, I'm not gen Y.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Which is why the "get off my lawn" stuff is so tired and cliche. It is almost always self-contradictory, hypocritical, or just plain wrong.

And for the record, I'm not gen Y.
It sounded good when Clint Eastwood said it in Gran Torino
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM

It has been my experience that both Gen X and Gen Y have been very open and accepting to firearms. It is one of the reasons we have seen such a large expansion of firearm rights all across America (certain states excluded, of course).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Gen X and Gen Y respond favorably to libertarian arguments. Correlate copy-protection schemes on software with gun-control schemes. The first inconveniences and annoys legal software owners while pirates just strip off the copy protection and run the software without the annoying copy protection checks. The latter inconveniences and annoys legal firearms owners while criminals just circumvent the system and obtain firearms illegally. GenX/GenY can be made to see the logic if you show the correlation.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Gen X and Gen Y respond favorably to libertarian arguments. Correlate copy-protection schemes on software with gun-control schemes. The first inconveniences and annoys legal software owners while pirates just strip off the copy protection and run the software without the annoying copy protection checks. The latter inconveniences and annoys legal firearms owners while criminals just circumvent the system and obtain firearms illegally. Genx/Geny can be made to see the logic if you show the correlation.
A++ post. Agreed 100%

Rule 1: know your audience.

If you insist on starting every argument with "you are stupid" you're going to lose every time.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM

young people today are subjected to brainwash such as this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Game

they are constantly reminded to think/act as a pack by their teachers, friends, parents, etc...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st2fight View Post
young people .. are subjected to brainwash
Fixed it for you. We have always struggled to brainwash young people into obeying authority w/o question.

Today is no different from yesterday. Anybody who says otherwise is delusional.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Default Confused.

All of my daughter's friends think my guns are "cool". Daughter is 24.

The monthly shoots I run, most of my shooters are probably in late 20s to early 40s. I am the "old one".

The young generation is against prohibition, frankly they view it as something that doesn't work.

I view all prohibitions as "Zero tolerance, Zero Intelligence" solutions.

It isn't that hard to get people who support "legalizing weed" because the drug war is a "failure" to recognizing that a "gun prohibition" would cause more problems than it would solve.

Talk to Gen Y's in their language and they will come over to our side.

Nicki
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzona View Post
It has been my experience that both Gen X and Gen Y have been very open and accepting to firearms. It is one of the reasons we have seen such a large expansion of firearm rights all across America (certain states excluded, of course).
Same here. I'm a millennial (on the cusp, born in 1981) and most of my friends or I do not subscribe to the school of thought in the OP. We just want to be left alone.

It's the next generation that is being raised under the post 9/11 and Obama administration that we need to worry about. Kids born after say, 2000.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
It isn't that hard to get people who support "legalizing weed" because the drug war is a "failure" to recognizing that a "gun prohibition" would cause more problems than it would solve.

Talk to Gen Y's in their language and they will come over to our side.
This mirrors my experience as well. Of course, it is easier to claim that "kids these days are hopeless" than to actually go out and try to talk to them in terms that make sense to them.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
It's the next generation that is being raised under the post 9/11 and Obama administration that we need to worry about. Kids born after say, 2000.
Everybody is scared of "kids these days" it seems. You know, depending on what "these days" are.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Be prepared to be placed on a government watchlist for not watching TV. Modern day TV is the equivalent of the Colosseum in Rome. It keeps the masses distracted.
Kind of like Fahrenheit 451.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Fixed it for you. We have always struggled to brainwash young people into obeying authority w/o question.

Today is no different from yesterday. Anybody who says otherwise is delusional.
26 year old here.

I've read a few books on ancient societies.What's happening with my generation isn't like that at all.

Rather my cohorts are growing up predisposed to government regulation.A young person of 30 years ago was probably just as disrespectful and ignorant as the youngins of today.The difference is that young people today are growing up in divided homes with parents who work constantly ,and as such are being raised by Public School Inc. and MTV.

The consequences are all around us. Obamas election, the feminization of our country,and the electoral trends say it all. My generation will be the ones who turn this country down the path to serfdom:because instead of being raised by pro freedom nuclear families,we are a product of the anti gun media and anti gun schools.

Thus our philosophy is that everything is a hobby, there are no absolute morals or rights, and if there's a security problem we solve it by calling Uncle Sam.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

Last edited by SilverTauron; 04-29-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Children have been remarkably resilient. Considering the amount of brainwashing they are exposed to in public schools, I would have expected to have lost all my rights long ago.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

"The difference is that young people today .." - said by every outlier in their cohort, throughout history...

Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Children have been remarkably resilient. Considering the amount of brainwashing they are exposed to in public schools, I would have expected to have lost all my rights long ago.
It is our job to worry about our children; but not to throw up our hands and say "kids these days are hopeless".

Every generation is as critical as the last. Every generation has a language they understand.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM

The main difference I see in kids today is that many of them are raised to believe that they are the most important thing in the world, even rising above their parents in the social order. Far too many parents I see tell their kids "all I want is for you to be happy and have a better life than I did" which is semi-understandable except it confuses the little buggers.

When I grew up we had to respect and obey our parents and most if not all elders. We grew up not thinking that we were incredibly important, but instead that we had to actually prove ourselves worthy and make our own way in the world. Not saying it was better, but that it did teach us to earn what we received and not just assume we were entitled to it.

Guess that makes me one of the "Get off my lawn" generation.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Kids have always grown up sheltered to some extent. How many 12 year olds have had to pay for their own rent and groceries over the last 60 years?

One thing gun owners have going though is that kids today, especially boys, have grown up with shooting games that make guns seem cool. For the same reason you play a Need For Speed game and then want to buy a Corvette or Viper, they play a Call of Duty game and want their own M4 styled rifle. Not to go driving down the freeways at 170+ mph with the cops chasing them, or to go running around the countryside shooting bad guys, but to have it in their driveway, go 80 on the freeway, and go to the range every once in a while.

I'm 33, not really Gen Y, but I did grow up with games like Doom, Quake, Counter Strike, all the classic first person shooters that all today's games are based on. I admit those games had an influence on me, and when I found out as a teen we had gun bans in effect it helped push me politically against those who would pass them.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520

Last edited by stix213; 04-29-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsacks View Post
The main difference I see in kids today
- said by everybody older than their kids throughout history.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM

We are in trouble! Less kids growing up involved in the shooting, hunting, and outdoor sport in general, and definitely they are getting fully indoctrinated by the public schools, and the liberal entertainment industry.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

You know, there seem to be some topics which encourage "transmit only" posters.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM

I just wish they get off my GODDAMN LAWN!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM

I just wish they'd get off my GODDAMN LAWN!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM

It seems like it's the gen "Y" that's conducting these suburban shootings, so yeah, in that context , they're bad for 2A.
Get them off the computer and away from the TV and get them outdoors!

Gen y is bad for all amendments

Every generation is repugnant to the two generations that precede it.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are disrespectful and impatient of restraint." -Hesiod, 8th Century B.C.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." -Socrates, via Plato 5th Century B.C.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atascadero View Post
I just wish they'd get off my GODDAMN LAWN!
"O pueros! Ab meus hortus!" -Plato
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweigle View Post
We are in trouble! Less kids growing up involved in the shooting, hunting, and outdoor sport in general, and definitely they are getting fully indoctrinated by the public schools, and the liberal entertainment industry.
Botanical gardens and garden clubs are not getting young members, either. But younger folks do get dogs a lot, and take them to parks and outdoor cafes. Go figure. I guess gardening unless it's food isn't politically correct anymore because one should only grow natives, and dogs are OK as long as you "rescue" one but don't buy a puppy. I don't know how guns would fit into this utopian politically correct world. Maybe they feel too darn safe.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

No way. Generation below mine. They are what's behind the huge surge in EBR's thanks to COD and battlefield games. Every generation has its conservatives and liberals and everything in between
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Kids should start listening to Tool

Think for yourself
Question authority

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening,
terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in
this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the
religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by
giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their
view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and
learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness;
chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Think for yourself.
Question authority.
Old 04-29-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
- said by everybody older than their kids throughout history.
Wait, did I miss some scientific breakthrough? Is it possible to have kids older than you are?

Oh, I get it, sarcasm....
Old 04-29-2013, 1:32 PM

Perhaps if you are cloned. Do you measure age of the clone, or the identity stored within the brain?