Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-26-2013, 8:38 AM

Smile How Much to Check Upper?

Hey Guys,

I had a quick question on what a shop usually charges to take a look at an upper.

I just recently build my AR this past weekend (first build for me) and I functioned tested everything along the way. Build went well.

However, my family is showing a little concern and even though I am confident this thing is built correctly and to spec, they want me to take it to a gunsmith to verify.

Any idea on how much something like that costs?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 8:58 AM

I suppose it is possible they would look it over for free depending on the shop and how thoroughly you want it checked.

Gunsmithing charges in my area run $75/hour and are charged in 15 minute increments.

I'd guess a gunsmith could probably break it down and completely reassemble it in an hour if that was what you were looking for.
Old 04-26-2013, 9:02 AM

I personally do not want them to break it down because that would mean my work was for nothing other than a learning experience I guess then. Not much self gratification in that! LoL.

I can cycle through the Magpul dummy round just fine.

Just not sure a Gunsmith would "okay it" without doing what you mentioned...breaking it completely down
Old 04-26-2013, 9:06 AM

Where are you located? I'm sure a calgunner in your area wouldn't mind going over it for ya. If your near Bakersfield I can check it out, I'm no gunsmith but I've put quite a few AR's together
Old 04-26-2013, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

If you bought a prebuilt upper there's really nothing that needs to be checked in my opinion. Functionality may become an issue if you mixed up some springs in the lower, but it wouldn't be unsafe. Just load two rounds into the mag the first time you take a shot so if it burps you're not dumping all 10.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-26-2013, 9:13 AM

I am located in San Jose

My only concern was when I tested the Go/No Go, the end result was the same. My BCG never sat flush when running the MIN. On all the videos I watched, it was supposed too.

However, I am thinking it was the gauge as it did not sit flush in my brothers AR nor my friends factory built S&W
Old 04-26-2013, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
If you bought a prebuilt upper there's really nothing that needs to be checked in my opinion. Functionality may become an issue if you mixed up some springs in the lower, but it wouldn't be unsafe. Just load two rounds into the mag the first time you take a shot so if it burps you're not dumping all 10.
I built this piece by piece, not factory built.

I am running a Spikes Upper, Spikes Lothar Wyde Barrel, and a WMD BCG. I wanted to make sure to build a quality AR
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

If a dummy round can cycle through it, would one be okay to assume it functions correctly?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredxtreme View Post
If a dummy round can cycle through it, would one be okay to assume it functions correctly?
Well, there's no pressure generated by cycling a dummy round through it. You'll only be able to test full function by actually firing a live round.

ETA: When you say you built this upper do you mean you installed the bolt carrier group and charging handle into an assembled upper receiver group or did you purchase a stripped upper receiver, a stripped barrel assembly, a gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, etc and assemble all of that yourself?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Well, there's no pressure generated by cycling a dummy round through it. You'll only be able to test full function by actually firing a live round.

ETA: When you say you built this upper do you mean you installed the bolt carrier group and charging handle into an assembled upper receiver group or did you purchase a stripped upper receiver, a stripped barrel assembly, a gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, etc and assemble all of that yourself?
I purchased everything separate and built from the ground up. The only thing that came assembled was the WMD BCG which I did the Go - No-Go (headspace) test on.

As mentioned above, that was the only thing I was second guessing. Because trying to run the GO NO-GO gauge was giving me the same result on both. When placing the MIN , my BCG would not sit flush when fully engaged. Per video tutoirals it is supposed to. But I also used these gauges on 2 other ARs in which one was also build from the floor up and one was factory S&W. The result was the same through out. So I am thinking the gauges were not manufactured correctly
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Gas Block is Spikes Adjustable, WMD Gas Tube, Daniel Defense Omega X Rails, Spikes Lothar Wyde barrel....
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How did you mount vise to your bed?

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
How did you mount vise to your bed?
Vise was mounted on table during the build and then removed to bring down to floor for picture
Old 04-26-2013, 1:40 PM

Sack up and test fire it! If you are feeling uneasy, take the first few shots with the weapon held away from your body.
Old 04-26-2013, 2:11 PM

Decided to just have the headspace checked, since that would be the most important element to fail. The rest I can figure out of my own. LoL

Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-26-2013, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I personally do not want them to break it down because that would mean my work was for nothing other than a learning experience I guess then.
If the rifle functions properly I wouldn't take it to a smith, they will have to tear it down to properly check everything. As long as you torqued everything down properly you should not have any issues with it.

Quote:
My only concern was when I tested the Go/No Go, the end result was the same. My BCG never sat flush when running the MIN. On all the videos I watched, it was supposed too.
That gauge is not needed when using new parts, especially when they're quality parts. If your gas tube is properly installed (not catching on the gas key, lined up with the gas port) and the parts are torqued down properly your rifle is good to go. If it's not lined up with the gas port properly the rifle just won't cycle.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 04-26-2013 at 3:10 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

When you cycle the firearm by hand ( empty ), does the hammer drop when the trigger is pulled ? Hold the trigger down and hand cycle again. Does the trigger reset and fire again ?

If so, I'd say you are GTG.

As far as the gauges are concerned, it should close on the Go gauge. Does it ?

I am not a big fan of them closing on the No-Go gauge but if it does, it is not the end of the world, just means your brass will stretch and the accuracy may not be superb.

When you run the Magpul dummy in, will the hammer drop ?
Old 04-26-2013, 4:50 PM

Im not sure how close you are to rifle gear but they charge $35 to build an upper with the parts you give them. I cant imagine it would cost too much to just inspect your work for you. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1001-guns...-assembly.aspx
Old 04-26-2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I had a quick question on what a shop usually charges to take a look at an upper.

I just recently build my AR this past weekend (first build for me) and I functioned tested everything along the way. Build went well.

However, my family is showing a little concern and even though I am confident this thing is built correctly and to spec, they want me to take it to a gunsmith to verify.

Any idea on how much something like that costs?

Thanks!
Other than headspace, what would you need to have checked in an upper? All of the function checks are concerned with the fire controls in the lower.

Might ping Jason_2111 and see if he'll check it out for you.

Last edited by CBruce; 04-26-2013 at 5:53 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 6:30 PM

I can meet you at metcaf almost anytime. I travel between Monterey and Patterson 6 days a week..
Old 04-27-2013, 8:14 AM

I just had the head space checked as that was my only concern. I knew 99.9% that is was fine, but to make my family happy I paid the stupid $25 to have it verified.
Old 04-27-2013, 1:35 PM

I was quoted $15 to check head space at a LGS. Other than that, I feel confident about my build. So simple. It felt like Legos for grownups.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
I was quoted $15 to check head space at a LGS. Other than that, I feel confident about my build. So simple. It felt like Legos for grownups.
That would be Mattel.........lol.
Old 04-28-2013, 9:58 AM

Well at least you feel comfortable now.

The only dangerous problem headspacing reveals is whether you have too much headspace, which might result in a catostrophic case-head separation. The "NO GO" gauge is the one that is important for this.

The "GO" headspace gauge is kind of useless, in my opinion. If an actual bullet fits in, then obviously your headspace isn't too tight!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmime1234 View Post
Well at least you feel comfortable now.

The only dangerous problem headspacing reveals is whether you have too much headspace, which might result in a catostrophic case-head separation. The "NO GO" gauge is the one that is important for this.

The "GO" headspace gauge is kind of useless, in my opinion. If an actual bullet fits in, then obviously your headspace isn't too tight!

Agree....now that I had it checked and passed..time to test this bad boy out!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Sounds like you did everything right. Just fire one round at a time for a few shots to make sure everything operates fine. Feed, lock, extract, eject, blah blah.
Old 04-28-2013, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just had the head space checked as that was my only concern. I knew 99.9% that is was fine, but to make my family happy I paid the stupid $25 to have it verified.
Good job! That's one of the few things that could have been dangerous.

Be sure it cycles correctly when fully assembled. Make certain you keep the trigger pulled throughout the cycling to see if the disconnector works properly.