Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Default CCW and Glock modification.

Hey guys!

I recently purchased a Glock 19 and am about to apply for a CCW. I wanted to know if changing the finish of my glock would make it harder for me to get a CCW or possibly break the law in CA? Here's what my Glock will look like if I modify:

http://healthbydon.com/glockammo1.jpg
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

There's no PC on the finish of a firearm on your LTC, so no legal issues to worry about. I'd be concerned about how any finish you decide upon will stand up to the abuse heaped on it by daily carry.

Daily carry pieces get banged around, they get scratches and being close to your skin they can pick up sweat. Plus that looks a little shiny, and personally I prefer something a little more low profile.

But legally you're fine.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The crappy Russian ammo there is worse than the hard chrome finish.

Seriously...nobody is going to care what color is your pistol. By mods, they generally mean trigger mods, ext slide release, ext mag release, barrels. None are illegal. The range master will want to make sure the gun functions flawlessly and is safe. I had a guy next to me have his G35 disqualified because his Lonewolf barrel kept on locking up the gun.

Just keep in mind that any mod you do may place you under greater scrutiny should you ever have to use your weapon in a defense situation. While a lightened trigger may make follow-up shots easier and better placed to a gun person (ie: safer), to a prosecutor your "hair trigger" may be the mark of a crazy gunner looking to inflict maximum carnage.

If all you want to do is change the finish, you should be fine regardless of the IA.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

There is nothing illegal about modifications, unless it is a threaded barrel or select fire. It all depends on the issuing agency. San Bernardino does not approve caliber conversions. I have been running Glocks since 1992 and the only thing they really need is sights, the stock ones suck. Learn how to shoot and don't do anything to your G19. Aftermarket drop in barrels are no more accurate than OEM, and while I like the G21 mag release on the G19 (extended) I do not use the extended slide stops, to easy to ride and disconnect the magazine. And of all the Glocks I have had, sometimes the 3.5lb connector makes a difference, sometimes not so much.
Old 04-27-2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
There is nothing illegal about modifications, unless it is a threaded barrel or select fire. It all depends on the issuing agency. San Bernardino does not approve caliber conversions. I have been running Glocks since 1992 and the only thing they really need is sights, the stock ones suck. Learn how to shoot and don't do anything to your G19. Aftermarket drop in barrels are no more accurate than OEM, and while I like the G21 mag release on the G19 (extended) I do not use the extended slide stops, to easy to ride and disconnect the magazine. And of all the Glocks I have had, sometimes the 3.5lb connector makes a difference, sometimes not so much.
I don't know where I heard this but, for some reason I thought an aftermarket trigger was a no go for San Bernardino.. I was going to have my glock 26 customized by salient arms with their tier 3 package but since I was misinformed, I just opted for their custom frame job. DARN! Well, I guess I could always send it back to have the rest done.

I always read your posts regarding our county's ccw policy. Very informative, thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 AM

Not illegal since it is silent in the penal code. However, different issuing agencies have different opinions on modifications. Its best to ask your IA directly about the specific mod you want to do to your gun.

On a different note, modifying your gun wont affect your chance of getting a ccw or not.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:18 AM
Banned

San Bernardino does not recommend a G34 or G35 for CCW. Why? because Glock states they are for competition where the G17/G22 are for home defense and target.... I don't believe SBSO will approve a modified trigger, but you can call the business office and ask.