Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-26-2013, 4:46 PM

Default mossberg single action bar 12 gauge

On a old mossberg single action bar 12 gauge would i be able to convert this into a tactical home defence shotgun. I believe that if i were to swap out the barrel for a shorter barrel i would also need to swap out the slide for a shorter one. But i dont think i can swap it out with a slide that has a double action bar.
Old 04-26-2013, 6:06 PM

I believe changing the barrel shouldn't affect which action slide tube you use. The receiver definitely will affect which tube you can use. But I don't see why you couldn't choose any forend you might want and the tube that goes with it and just cut off the right side action bar (The one that does not work the cartridge stop).

Last edited by ArchStanton; 04-26-2013 at 6:10 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 6:38 AM

Are you referring to an older Mossberg 500 with the single action bar, likely before the late 1970's when they went to the two bars? You should be able to use any Mossberg 500 12 gauge barrel without any modification to your gun. Keep in mind it has to be a 500 barrel, and not a 590 barrel. You can switch magazine tubes and go with a 590 barrel, but it sounds like you thought the slide would need to be replaced to go with a shorter 500 barrel, which is not the case.
Old 04-27-2013, 1:42 PM

Thanks guys good info. I hope your right about the forend Archstanton. That is exactly what i thought and read on my research wweigle. Well ill definately find out when i find some good prices on a barrel and forend with tube. Im gonna try to find these at the Ontario gun show next week. I know big 5 sells mossberg combos with a short and long barrel. But i just loved this shotgun so much. It has a jeweled bolt and all the characteristics of the first mossberg shotguns. So ill just throw on the short barrel when i want it for home defense.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:04 AM

As far as the age of your shotgun. I did some research on the web trying to date my Western field (Mossberg 500) Without calling Mossberg, there does not appear to be any web based serial number database similar to the availability of Remington. It appears that the two action bars were implemented on Mossberg 500s in 1970. C-lect chokes were pre-1977 if you have one on your gun. I believe they have always had plastic trigger group housing, could not find any info on that. Does your have a steel or plastic safety. I could not find any info on when that was changed to plastic. I think most refer to the bolt engraving it sounds like you have as scalloped. Mine has it also, no info on what years that was prevalent. lately it seems like the short shotgun barrels have all but dried up at gun shows. I use to see tables full of shotgun barrels twenty years ago, now maybe one or two, but its hit or miss. Seems like a lot more shotgun owners are buying/keeping/modifying their shotguns for home defense these days. Even more now that it has Joe Biden's seal of approval (dumb joke) E-bay and GB may be your best bet on price and selection. Based on my recent looks at these two sites, expect to pay about $60-90$ for a basic, short barrel with cylinder bore, ribs, interchangeable choke barrels seem to be on the high end of the range and more. Buying parts and modifying your guns is half the fun. Good luck

Last edited by wweigle; 04-28-2013 at 6:07 AM..